Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Higher wrote: »
    Ah come on now, firstly he was utterly brilliant against Australia, secondly he wasn't poor against Wales. Brilliant against Italy as well. He got Player of the Pool! http://www.thescore.ie/sean-obrien-named-as-the-official-player-of-pool-c-244900-Oct2011/

Surely you remember the NZ media going mad over SOB? He trended on twitter in NZ!!

Ye but we beat the Aussies, of course the NZ/public media were going to be loving us!

He was poor against Wales, lets be honest the entire team were soundly beaten that day.

He has the makings of a great openside, but i'm not close to putting him in the McCaw/Pocock/Broussow bracket just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Not really sure how you can bracket Brussow with McCaw and Pocock but not SOB. SOB has more caps and has performed as well against top class opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Brussow hasn't been in that tier of players since 2009.

danthefan wrote: »
    Not really sure how you can bracket Brussow with McCaw and Pocock but not SOB. SOB has more caps and has performed as well against top class opposition.

Ye i know what you mean, Brossow has had a tough couple of years injury wise. But when he is on form (see Lions tour 2009) he is an openside of the highest quality, certainly comparable to the other two.

P.Walnuts wrote: »

Ye i know what you mean, Brossow has had a tough couple of years injury wise. But when he is on form (see Lions tour 2009) he is an openside of the highest quality, certainly comparable to the other two.

And SOB proved, conclusively, on the same field as Richie McCaw, that he can too.

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »
    And SOB proved, conclusively, on the same field as Richie McCaw, that he can too.

Aw here Ok forget Broussow, I was wrong to class him in with Pocock and McCaw.

Its getting to the point where you cant mention SOB without somebody saying, don't you know he outplayed McCaw?

Yes he did. One game out of three. If there was 10 games I think we all know who would come out on top. One game, or even 5 or 6 don't prove he is a world class operator at openside.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Aw here Ok forget Broussow, I was wrong to class him in with Pocock and McCaw.

Its getting to the point where you cant mention SOB without somebody saying, don't you know he outplayed McCaw?

Yes he did. One game out of three. If there was 10 games I think we all know who would come out on top. One game, or even 5 or 6 don't prove he is a world class operator at openside.

The guy was ripping apart teams in the 6 Nations. Hes had loads of excellent games.

The guy was ripping apart teams in the 6 Nations. Hes had loads of excellent games.

This is just more hyberbole

This is just more hyberbole

No its not. He was running over players for fun. I still remember the England game where he had 4 tacklers on him and still couldn't be put down. Utter nonsense from you to be honest. Why on earth do you think he won European Player of the Year?? IRB put him in the top 5 players of the World Cup. Player of Pool, on world cup dream teams at 7 ....is possible the lad has consistently been excellent??

No its not. He was running over players for fun. I still remember the England game where he had 4 tacklers on him and still couldn't be put down. Utter nonsense from you to be honest. Why on earth do you think he won European Player of the Year??

Since that would be work more suited to a 6 and not the fetching/ruck work of an openside (which is the basis of the discussion) then i'm afraid you are the one thats talking nonsense.

• Advertisement

Since that would be work more suited to a 6 and not the fetching/ruck work of an openside (which is the basis of the discussion) then i'm afraid you are the one thats talking nonsense.

LOL, so players aren't allowed to run over players unless there in certain positions? He won ERC player of the year at 7, put in IRB top 5 player list at 7, selected in world 15s at, yes you guesed it, 7.

But sure what does everyone in the rugby world know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

It's obvious SOB is one of the top 7's in the world. And he's got a consistency that none of Warburton, McCaw or Pocock can match.

LOL, so players aren't allowed to run over players unless there in certain positions? He won ERC player of the year at 7, put in IRB top 5 player list at 7, selected in world 15s at, yes you guesed it, 7.

But sure what does everyone in the rugby world know?

Alright i'm not sure you understand the differences between blindside and openside flanker so I think i'll just have to leave it.

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    It's obvious SOB is one of the top 7's in the world. And he's got a consistency that none of Warburton, McCaw or Pocock can match.

Lord save me.

Alright i'm not sure you understand the differences between blindside and openside flanker so I think i'll just have to leave it.

Can't believe I'm sticking up for Higher. But he clearly does. A 7 can carry and fetch, SOB does both very, very well.

Lord save me.

Pocock is constantly injured. McCaw, for all the hyperbole about his performances, often puts in some very average shifts. SOB is easily the most consistent performer of the 3. That's not saying that when the other two perform to the best of their ability he's the best, but he's certainly more consistent in my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Yeah, that's true :), after all McCaw is only the 1st player to reach 100 caps for New Zealand. Only 4 titles with the Crusaders, most capped all black captain, world cup captain winner.

GULP.

liammur wrote: »
    Yeah, that's true :), after all McCaw is only the 1st player to reach 100 caps for New Zealand. Only 4 titles with the Crusaders, most capped all black captain, world cup captain winner.

GULP.

. Not sure what McCaws record has to do with a discussion about the the best 7's in the world right now. I'm not saying SOB is a better player right now, but for the most part he performs well on a more consistent basis to McCaw, who has had some pretty average test games since the WC

Can't believe I'm sticking up for Higher. But he clearly does. A 7 can carry and fetch, SOB does both very, very well.

Ye but when discussing a openside's strengths, his ground work should be the first and foremost. So when Higher backed up SOB's 7 credentials with "running over people" and what not eg what he became renound for as a 6, it was pretty baffling to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Groundwork is not ALWAYS first and foremost for a 7. Just the majority of the time.

A good back row player can be strong at any number of things, it's all dependent on the rest of the unit to make it work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Traditionally that's a 7s role but tht does not mean that's what they have to do I think sob and ferris are tweeners (they can do both jobs) and they share rucking and carrying responsibilities

Is a 10 who does not place kick a bad 10
    Is a lock that's not a world beater in the air but a beast as a ball carrier/Rucker a bad lock

The traditional roles are guidelines that's all

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

It's obvious SOB is one of the top 7's in the world...he's got a consistency that none of Warburton, McCaw or Pocock can match.

Clearly I must still be drunk...surely nobody could post what you've posted and mean it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

SOB had a good but not great 6N, think he was subbed for POM in every game he played, he admitted himself he wasnt happy with his form, his breakdown work wouldnt have been of the quality of Pocock or McCaw but improved significantly towards the end of the season, I think people read too much into the performances against McCaw in the summer, I didnt think he hurt NZ massively at the breakdown but his tackle count was huge, mainly because we were on the defensive for most the tests.

He's not as good a 7 IMO as the other two mentioned but he's in their bracket as a player. He's probably in the top 3/4 blindsides in the world and also in the top 3/4 opensides. If he played regularly at 8 he'd probably be in the top 10 in the world there too.

shuffol wrote: »
    SOB had a good but not great 6N, think he was subbed for POM in every game he played, he admitted himself he wasnt happy with his form, his breakdown work wouldnt have been of the quality of Pocock or McCaw but improved significantly towards the end of the season, I think people read too much into the performances against McCaw in the summer, I didnt think he hurt NZ massively at the breakdown but his tackle count was huge, mainly because we were on the defensive for most the tests.

He's not as good a 7 IMO as the other two mentioned but he's in their bracket as a player. He's probably in the top 3/4 blindsides in the world and also in the top 3/4 opensides. If he played regularly at 8 he'd probably be in the top 10 in the world there too.

This is definitely more my line of thinking. Although I still probably wouldn't rate him as highly as you at 7. A world class 6 though for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

liammur wrote: »

GULP.

How many Heineken Cups has McCaw won though?

How many hectares per hour can McCaw plough?

tolosenc wrote: »
    How many Heineken Cups has McCaw won though?

How many hectares per hour can McCaw plough?

He's probably a piss poor player by your definition.

For the record I don't think he's a better openside than McCaw or Pocock. And Dusautoir is capable of playing at a level above absolutely everyone imo but he doesn't do it that often. SOB is in the top bracket though when he's on form, which he hasn't been so much since coming back from the hip injury.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭dropkickrugby

Groundwork is not ALWAYS first and foremost for a 7. Just the majority of the time.

A good back row player can be strong at any number of things, it's all dependent on the rest of the unit to make it work.

Thierry Dusatoir being a case in point. Brilliant at everything, but least brilliant at turnovers. Tries to get in there every time though.

Thierry Dusatoir being a case in point. Brilliant at everything, but least brilliant at turnovers. Tries to get in there every time though.

Yeah, he is a top class player, and a great attitude about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This doesn't sound good for Alex Corbisiero: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8382328,00.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement