Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Who is looking to be the front runner at 12 at the minute?

After watching Roberts last night, I wouldnt be filled with confidence although he does historically tend to save his best form for big games...needs an impressive 6n for me.

Can either Tuilagi or Davies play 12 effectively? I think both will travel as but primarily as 13's....BOD?

I never thought i'd say it, but Brad Barritt musn't be far off being considered....no frills but a great defender and effective carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

Davies is a brilliant 12, plays there most often for Scarlets. Wales playing him at 13 is a waste, I'd happily have a Davies-BOD midfield pairing. Roberts shouldn't be near the plane. Disinterested knock-on machine.

Also, if D'Arcy continues doing what he's doing he could be a dark horse for the 12 jersey...

rchendz92 wrote: »
    Davies is a brilliant 12, plays there most often for Scarlets. Wales playing him at 13 is a waste, I'd happily have a Davies-BOD midfield pairing. Roberts shouldn't be near the plane. Disinterested knock-on machine.

Ye I remember Davies starting off as a 12, havent seen him play there for quite a while..would be happy for him to start 12 for sure..

As of now would Tualagi not be ahead of BOD, if the team was picked next week?

BOD needs a big 6n too IMO....he will travel for sure, but not nearly nailed on starter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Also, if D'Arcy continues doing what he's doing he could be a dark horse for the 12 jersey...

Nah, won't tour. His form for Leinster has never been really poor, especially with BOD playing, but he's had some poor showings for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

danthefan wrote: »
    Nah, won't tour. His form for Leinster has never been really poor, especially with BOD playing, but he's had some poor showings for Ireland.

Good 6N and he should be bang into the picture imo.

Was very good against Arg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Good 6N and he should be bang into the picture imo.

Was very good against Arg.

I agree, thought he was excellent against Argentina. He's had too many defensive lapses for Ireland imo. Happy for him to continue for Leinster though.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

I was actually going to post that D'arcy could be a serious dark horse if he can keep up that form.

10.Sexton 12.D'arcy 13.O'driscoll 15.Kearney.....

Could be a majority leisnter backline...

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

danthefan wrote: »

You're wrong there.

He was exceptional against the Argies.

5 performances like that in the 6 Nations and there's no way on Earth that Gatland can leave him out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You're wrong there.

5 performances like that in the 6 Nations and there's no way on Earth that Gatland can leave him out.

He's not wrong. The performance against Arg doesn't erase his middling showings in other games from history. In particular a couple of poor performances against Wales will stick in Gatland's mind.

5 performances like what he put in against Arg would give him a good chance, but I don't really think its going to happen either. I think people are reading too much into that performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

You're wrong there.

Well, he's not actually wrong. What he said was he's had some poor showings in the past. And he has.

He was excellent against Argentina, but it would take 5 similar performances as well as continued good form for Leinster to go on a Lions tour. And when was the last time he had even 3 or 4 consecutive games of that standard for Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

espn classic have the SA tour on at the mo , it's still tough watching ROG give that penalty away.

Fireball07 wrote: »

Well, he's not actually wrong. What he said was he's had some poor showings in the past. And he has.

He was excellent against Argentina, but it would take 5 similar performances as well as continued good form for Leinster to go on a Lions tour. And when was the last time he had even 3 or 4 consecutive games of that standard for Ireland?

He said "Nah, he won't tour".

All I said is that he was excellent in our last international (which he was) and that 5 similar performances in the Six Nations should have him on the plane (which they would).

It's ridiculous to write D'Arcy off given how good he was against the Argies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

He said "Nah, he won't tour".

All I said is that he was excellent in our last international (which he was) and that 5 similar performances in the Six Nations should have him on the plane (which they would).

It's ridiculous to write D'Arcy off given how good he was against the Argies.

It all depends on whether you wish to judge his prospects on the basis of his last game against Argentina, which was anything but a full blooded international or his most recent 6N games where he's been ineffective at best and a liability at worst.

shuffol wrote: »

It all depends on whether you wish to judge his prospects on the basis of his last game against Argentina, which was anything but a full blooded international or his most recent 6N games where he's been ineffective at best and a liability at worst.

I said that he was excellent against Argentina, and that if he performs at a similar level in the the five Six Nations games, he'll tour.

I said that he was excellent against Argentina, and that if he performs at a similar level in the the five Six Nations games, he'll tour.

Absolutely but based on his 6N form in recent seasons I'd say thats unrealistic at best.

shuffol wrote: »

Absolutely but based on his 6N form in recent seasons I'd say thats unrealistic at best.

Surely his Six Nations form in recent seasons is far less relevant than his barnstorming performance a few weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Surely his Six Nations form in recent seasons is far less relevant than his barnstorming performance a few weeks ago?
    I don't think Gatland would consider him an option right now just because of one good performance after many poor ones. It comes down to him needing to have a very good 6 Nations in order to play himself into contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

D'Arcy had a great 2009 including making a strong comeback form injury in the 6N and winning the HEC. He still only toured as a replacement. There will be several options available to Gatland at 12 including Roberts, Hook, Barritt and Beck. Then he'll have guys who play 12 and 13 in Scott Williams and Manu Tuilagi.

Whilst it's not out of the question, D'Arcy is a very unlikely tourist unless he turns in an outstanding 6N which can be said of any player. They are likely only to bring two inside centres. I think others will be further up the queue than D'Arcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Beck, Davies, Tuilagi and BOD (if he returns with form) for me. 2 of them can play both 12 and 13 well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

theres no way ,however poorly hes playing,that gatland wont take jamie roberts.similarly likes of sam warburton,mike philiips etc. We may think they off form and dont deserve to go in front of someone playing well,but as wales coach,which he still really is, hes not going to leave behind his senior players and cause trouble in wales camp.well,in my opinion anyway!

theres no way ,however poorly hes playing,that gatland wont take jamie roberts.similarly likes of sam warburton,mike philiips etc. We may think they off form and dont deserve to go in front of someone playing well,but as wales coach,which he still really is, hes not going to leave behind his senior players and cause trouble in wales camp.well,in my opinion anyway!

He'll make a solitary "shock" dropping to stop people accusing him of this. It would have been Priestland. May well be be Roberts now unless he really ups his game. Warburton will start at 7, which is frustrating as he isn't even the best 7 in Wales (Tipuric is class) let alone the whole of GB & Ireland

If people are saying D'arcy could tour based off his performance against Argentina then surely Barritt has an even better chance given his performance against NZ?

No hope of D'arcy touring IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    If people are saying D'arcy could tour based off his performance against Argentina then surely Barritt has an even better chance given his performance against NZ?

No hope of D'arcy touring IMO.

Think the point is that D'Arcy has been playing very well the last couple of months and that if he keeps it up, he'll be hard to ignore. No-one is saying he should go on the basis of one performance.

I reckon it's a long shot for D'Arcy to tour, but Roberts is very injury prone, Beck may not get game time for Wales, you never know...

[I don't really rate Barritt.]

No hope of D'arcy touring.

That's clearly not the case.

You and I have no hope of touring.

D'Arcy has a great chance of touring if he can replicate his form against Argentina in the Six Nations.

That's clearly not the case.

You and I have no hope of touring.

D'Arcy has a great chance of touring if he can replicate his form against Argentina in the Six Nations.

When you look at how poor Argentina were I can't see that performance really pushing him above the other contenders, sure if he has a storming 6N then he has a chance but based off how he has played at international level for the past several years I can't really see that happening.

When you look at how poor Argentina were I can't see that performance really pushing him above the other contenders, sure if he has a storming 6N then he has a chance but based off how he has played at international level for the past several years I can't really see that happening.

A fair point.

It's tough to know whether we were good or the Argies were a disgrace.

I think that we'll see Drico at 12 and Tuilagi at 13 in Brisbane.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

D'arcy was good in the 2nd test in New Zealand as well. Would be great if he has turned a bit of a corner under Kiss

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

He'll make a solitary "shock" dropping to stop people accusing him of this. It would have been Priestland. May well be be Roberts now unless he really ups his game. Warburton will start at 7, which is frustrating as he isn't even the best 7 in Wales (Tipuric is class) let alone the whole of GB & Ireland

a lot really depends on the 6 nations results. i suspect Gatland will feel none of the other nations stood out and had great summer tours/autumn internationals and will in all likelihood put englands victory v nz down as a one off shock result, he will feel his wales team while in a bad run are still grandslam winners and thus deserving of the majority of players. And maybe until ireland/england win in cardiff this year and finish above wales in table there is some worth to that.If wales come back and win,they get the bulk,if ireland or england get the best of it,then them.
    At moment i stil think gatland will base team around his grandlslam team- adam jones,lydiate,warburton,phillips,roberts,north and halfpenny.

• Advertisement

D'arcy was good in the 2nd test in New Zealand as well. Would be great if he has turned a bit of a corner under Kiss

According to the stats D'arcy touched the ball 4 times in that game and passed every single time, made 7 tackles and missed 2. Even at that it was one of his best recent performances for Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement