Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

shuffol wrote: »
    According to the stats D'arcy touched the ball 4 times in that game and passed every single time, made 7 tackles and missed 2. Even at that it was one of his best recent performances for Ireland.

Just shows you why stats should be used for analysis and not a substitute for memory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

They dont offer a lot to analyse. I remember the game but dont recall D'arcy standing out, which as I said was an improvement on his previous showings.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

shuffol wrote: »
    They dont offer a lot to analyse. I remember the game but dont recall D'arcy standing out, which as I said was an improvement on his previous showings.

D'arcy was excellent in the second test. I remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I see our friendly-neighbourhood Munster journalist is at it again this morning:

IF the Lions touring party was being picked tomorrow, Ronan O'Gara would be a serious contender, writes CONOR GEORGE
    The out-half's kicking from the hand was one of the very few positives from Munster's disaster against Cardiff.
    O'Gara, who was playing a record 234th time for the Reds, consistently put his team into attacking positions by turning Cardiff back on themselves when the home team's attacks with ball-in-hand were unable to break through the stubborn visiting defence.
    If they manage to capitalise on O'Gara's tactical nous and adopt a more direct way of approaching the game when the occasion demands it, they undoubtedly have the ability to defeat Edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I really hope for his sake that he doesn't believe what he's writing.

• Advertisement

He kept putting Munster into attacking positions by giving the ball to Cardiff in their own half? How does that one work out?

He's a spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

He kept putting Munster into attacking positions by giving the ball to Cardiff in their own half? How does that one work out?

He's a spoofer.

It would work out if Munster had a competitive backrow/lineout and hooker who could hit his jumpers.

jm08 wrote: »
    It would work out if Munster had a competitive backrow/lineout and hooker who could hit his jumpers.

The hooker would be taking the opposition's lineouts?

Bit of an unfair advantage.

It's still not an attacking position no matter what way you look at it.

The hooker would be taking the opposition's lineouts?

Bit of an unfair advantage.

No he wouldn't if kicked to touch by Munster.

He might be though if the opposition have to clear their lines of a ball kicked infield that is being chased.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Quint2010 wrote: »
    I see our friendly-neighbourhood Munster journalist is at it again this morning:

IF the Lions touring party was being picked tomorrow, Ronan O'Gara would be a serious contender, writes CONOR GEORGE
    The out-half's kicking from the hand was one of the very few positives from Munster's disaster against Cardiff.
    O'Gara, who was playing a record 234th time for the Reds, consistently put his team into attacking positions by turning Cardiff back on themselves when the home team's attacks with ball-in-hand were unable to break through the stubborn visiting defence.
    If they manage to capitalise on O'Gara's tactical nous and adopt a more direct way of approaching the game when the occasion demands it, they undoubtedly have the ability to defeat Edinburgh.

This is actually astounding

No he wouldn't if kicked to touch by Munster.

He might be though if the opposition have to clear their lines of a ball kicked infield that is being chased.

Not what the journalist was referring to.

It's still not an attacking position no matter what way you look at it.

Would you view a garryowen as an attacking play then?

The reason why players like McCaw & Pocock are so highly rated is because of the amount of ball they can turnover. Why would you need guys like this if the best and only way to play is by always running the ball and hoping for a linebreak.

The Lions' attacking talent would be pissed away with ROG at 10.

Not what the journalist was referring to.

What is he referring to then? He just said kicking from hand. He didn't mention kicking to touch or kicking penalties.

Would you view a garryowen as an attacking play then?

The reason why players like McCaw & Pocock are so highly rated is because of the amount of ball they can turnover. Why would you need guys like this if the best and only way to play is by always running the ball and hoping for a linebreak.

Do you actually believe O Gara would be a good call for the Lions? If not, why are you even trying to defend Conor George's piece?

What is he referring to then? He just said kicking from hand. He didn't mention kicking to touch or kicking penalties.

How many times did Munster end up in a strong attacking position from O'Gara's kicking then?

The Lions' attacking talent would be pissed away with ROG at 10.

I'd imagine with McGahan in the coaching set-up that the Aussies will be working very hard on their defence. It certainly will help them that he will be very familiar with all the Lions' attacking talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Lads much like Paul Howard's Ross O'Carroll Kelly, Conor George is just a fictional character. It's a satirical piece of art. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd imagine with McGahan in the coaching set-up that the Aussies will be working very hard on their defence. It certainly will help them that he will be very familiar with all the Lions' attacking talent.

What has that got to do with O Gara offering zero attacking threat?

• Advertisement

Well at least he replied to my tweet.

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    Do you actually believe O Gara would be a good call for the Lions? If not, why are you even trying to defend Conor George's piece?

I don't think its as mad as some of you are trying to make out. For instance, in the win over Australia in the world cup, I think O'Gara's presence in the end kept the Australians honest in that their wings couldn't come too far forward because of the chances that he would exploit the space they would leave.

As well as that there are more than 3 test matches.

That has nothing to do with who plays 10.

I don't think its as mad as some of you are trying to make out. For instance, in the win over Australia in the world cup, I think O'Gara's presence in the end kept the Australians honest in that their wings couldn't come too far forward because of the chances that he would exploit the space they would leave.

As well as that there are more than 3 test matches.

Ronan O Gara can't attack, defend or play well at Rabo level anymore on this seasons evidence. To suggest he should travel with the Lions is nothing more than an insult to every other 10 in the British Isles

That has nothing to do with who plays 10.

It has something to do with who organises the attack (what you referred to as Lions great attacking players). And I'd be pretty sure that McGahan knows everything there is to know about Sexton and how he likes to organise the attack and it certainly would be no harm having a decent tactical kicker around.

It has something to do with who organises the attack (what you referred to as Lions great attacking players). And I'd be pretty sure that McGahan knows everything there is to know about Sexton and how he likes to organise the attack and it certainly would be no harm having a decent tactical kicker around.

Sexton is a very good tactical kicker.

Surely McGahan knows everything there is to know about ROG. He certainly wasn't very succesful against Sexton in his days up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Well-he'll be on the bench for the 6N and no doubt will come on in some of these games so he might well have the same chance as any other of the no 2 fly halves in the 6N. But personally I think it would be ridiculous to bring him.

Why the hell would we bring him?

He can kick the odd decent ball to the corner, but Sexton can do that better anyway.

Bar decent kicking out of hand he offers ZERO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    Why the hell would we bring him?

He can kick the odd decent ball to the corner, but Sexton can do that better anyway.

Bar decent kicking out of hand he offers ZERO.

I'd say if you showed that article to Warren Gatland, he'd have a good chuckle at it. Relax, it's not going to happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement