Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

GerM wrote: »
    That's probably because Leinster don't have enough big ball carriers to beat the blitz defence.

I'd agree with you there - the OHs are not the problem or can solve the problem on their own against the Welsh/Ospreys' blitz defence.
    Originally Posted by Deleted User viewpost.gif
    Sexton has played against blitz defences plenty of times. He's a strong ball carrier and can make ground if he's under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Ferris has said that the Castre match is 1 week too soon for him.

So I would say in about 1 months time.

Higher wrote: »
    So we're going back 3 years???

We have to if you want to find Top 8 teams that O'Gara has started against. for the record, the Top 8 teams that O'Gara has started against since 2009 are:

France 2010 - stade de France (lost - whats new).
    New Zealand 2010 (Plymouth) (lost - whats new)
    Wales 2010 (Millenium Stadium) (lost - whats new).

2 World Cup warm-up games against England & France. Nearly won the away France game.

Wales (world cup) 2011. (Lost).

I think Sexton has started about 20 against Top 8 opposition. Do you want to tot up his success rate against them?

O'Gara has started about 4 meaningful games against Top 8 opposition in that period (I wouldn't have regarded the world cup warm-ups as meaningful).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

jm08 wrote: »
    O'Gara has started about 4 meaningful games against Top 8 opposition in that period

All the more ****ing reason he won't be going on the Lions.

ROG isn't touring, Sexton will probably start. Can we please stop talking about them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

damianmcr wrote: »
    Ferris has said that the Castre match is 1 week too soon for him.

So I would say in about 1 months time.

Thanks, I hadn't read anything myself. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Apparently Lydiate is making an earlier than expected return from injury, so it looks like he'll be in contention for a spot

You'd have to think that if he is any kind of form he'll travel. Gatland is a big fan of him (as am I).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Lydiate will definitely travel unless he can't prove his fitness.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    All the more ****ing reason he won't be going on the Lions.

ROG isn't touring, Sexton will probably start. Can we please stop talking about them now.

Out of the 10 games to be played, only 3 of them are against Top 8 opposition. From all accounts, keeping the dirt trackers happy is hard to do and if they are not happy they can disrupt the whole scene (like last time on the Lions in Aus). Good to have someone around who is used to sitting on the bench. ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭fitz

Teferi wrote: »
    For the love of god please stop quoting. I use the filter for a reason.

This, this, a million times this.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

fitz wrote: »
    This, this, a million times this.

O.K I'll ignore him. I vehemently disagree but for the sake of the thread I'll leave it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Luke Fitzgerald. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Luke Fitzgerald. That is all.

Not even two full games in the last 9 months :rolleyes:

Lets let him reestablish himself in the Leinster team first

Lets let him reestablish himself in the Ireland team next

Then lets talk about him as a Lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

What about Owen Farrell's performance from the kicking tee today, will make him a strong favourite to start for England in the 6 Nations. You would imagine whichever one of him or Flood is starting 10 for England will end up touring with the Lions. He has certainly strengthened his credentials today.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    What about Owen Farrell's performance from the kicking tee today, will make him a strong favourite to start for England in the 6 Nations. You would imagine whichever one of him or Flood is starting 10 for England will end up touring with the Lions. He has certainly strengthened his credentials today.

I think Farrell will tour anyway because of his ability to play across midfield and his superb defense. He'll be a brilliant midweek 10

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

Stuart Barnes is really pushing for Freddie Burns to be England's No 10.

The thing with Farrell is that he's just functional...good kicker, good tackler, good at the basics. There's no spark though. He's like Jonny Wilkinson Light. I'd prefer to see the man himself start for the Lions rather than Farrell.

Have no fear though as one J Sexton looks to have one hand on the No 10 jersey...

Profiler wrote: »
    Not even two full games in the last 9 months :rolleyes:

Lets let him reestablish himself in the Leinster team first

Lets let him reestablish himself in the Ireland team next

Then lets talk about him as a Lion.

I don't think he was being serious judging by the tone of his comment he was more saying that Fitz had a fantastic game last night and was jokingly getting ahead of himself.

It's only natural to extrapolate based on good performances.

Say Freddie Burns gets the nod for England at 10 in the Six Nations and produces a barnstorming performance in the first game. It would be reasonable to say that he'd be staking a claim for the Lions Test jersey. Of course there would be games to go, but if a guy can maintain that level of performance, he's in good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

A lot of the talk of Burns is based on a 20 minute cameo against a tiring All Blacks. It was a vrry impressive 20 mins but its a long way to go from there to the Lions. Can he go to Dublin in the 6Ns and manage England to a tight victory? Ive no idea, I certainly hope not, but for me its games like that as well as Wales v England and Wales v Ireland that will go a long way to deciding the make up of the Lions squad if not the test side.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

bilston wrote: »
    A lot of the talk of Burns is based on a 20 minute cameo against a tiring All Blacks. It was a vrry impressive 20 mins but its a long way to go from there to the Lions. Can he go to Dublin in the 6Ns and manage England to a tight victory? Ive no idea, I certainly hope not, but for me its games like that as well as Wales v England and Wales v Ireland that will go a long way to deciding the make up of the Lions squad if not the test side.

Based on his Gloucester form as well surely?

TIPURIC AND FITZGERALD FOR THE LIONS!!!1111

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

This, Burns has been the shiznit for them, and in my heart of hearts I want him playing for England. I'm happy with Flood, and I can just about accept Fazlet now he's showing some attacking instinct, but Burns looks the full package and as good a running 10 as exists this side of the equator at club level and I'd back him to do it for England - and if he does it for England, I'd back him for the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

This, Burns has been the shiznit for them, and in my heart of hearts I want him playing for England. I'm happy with Flood, and I can just about accept Fazlet now he's showing some attacking instinct, but Burns looks the full package and as good a running 10 as exists this side of the equator at club level and I'd back him to do it for England - and if he does it for England, I'd back him for the Lions.

Wouldn't it be nice if young Irish 10's were getting 20 mins against the All Blacks or being considered for the 6 Nations. Burns and Madigan coming off the bench for last 20 mins of the Ireland/England game would be very interesting.

Remember that Arwel Thomas guy who played for Wales years ago...he was the great white hope for Welsh rugby. Then Neil Jenkins just got picked every time. I'd love to see a brillant young attacking out half like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I dont really watch the Premiership to be honest so I'll take your word for it. Although his Gloucester form may be a reason to pick him for England, I'm not sure its a reason to pick him for the Lions, at least not alone, but then as I say I havent been watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

bilston wrote: »
    I dont really watch the Premiership to be honest so I'll take your word for it. Although his Gloucester form may be a reason to pick him for England, I'm not sure its a reason to pick him for the Lions, at least not alone, but then as I say I havent been watching.

He's been pretty good for Glaws, can really make things happen in attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭val_jester

danthefan wrote: »
    He's been pretty good for Glaws, can really make things happen in attack.

He would be a good option for the Lions due to the amount of positions that he can cover to a decent level. He can cover the back three easily with his speed and has played there previously for Glaws, was electric in the HEC against Toulouse last year. Would need to get game time with England to be in serious consideration, but there is no doubt he is very talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

At the end on the sky coverage today, they showed their Lions Index, players currently in pole position as far as sky pundits are concerned, if I understand correctly. Stopped taking it seriously when Rory Best wasn't mentioned as one of the three hookers! Sean Cronin was :) No disrespect to Sean, but he has a bit to go to get to Rory's level....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Brewster wrote: »
    At the end on the sky coverage today, they showed their Lions Index, players currently in pole position as far as sky pundits are concerned, if I understand correctly. Stopped taking it seriously when Rory Best wasn't mentioned as one of the three hookers! Sean Cronin was :) No disrespect to Sean, but he has a bit to go to get to Rory's level....
    They had ½p in for full back, and nary a mention of Lee Byrne who's been the absolute dogs bollox for Clermont in the HEC.

It's a little suspect the way they score players.

Brewster wrote: »

Is it not a sort of "Lions watch" scenario rather than an "X is 1st choice" thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

rrpc wrote: »
    They had ½p in for full back, and nary a mention of Lee Byrne who's been the absolute dogs bollox for Clermont in the HEC.

It's a little suspect the way they score players.

It's utter nonsense. Because it's an average of the player's score over all rounds, you could have a guy play great in round one, get injured and never play again, but his index rating would stay the same. It takes no account of how likely guys are to actually travel- Dan Parks was in it one week, like, what's the point of that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement