Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The Lions Index is complete rubbish, a lot of the players on it have no chance of touring or even making the country's international side. I do not think anyone takes it seriously, including the Sky Sports lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The Lions index was suspiciously realistic this week. I think they've realised how bizarre it was and fiddled with the numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well, what's everyone's XV after round 5? I'd pick the following from what I saw... (Pick from players from RD5 only)

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Cole
    4. Ryan
    5. Hines
    6. Jones
    7. Tipuric
    8. Heaslip

9. Care
    10. Sexton

11. Fitzgerald
    12. Bishop
    13. Cave
    14. Halfpenny
    15. Kearney

Granted I missed a couple of games so can't comment on them all. Especially the Connacht game - how did McCarthy and McSherry get on? I think the sore thumbs in the list above would be Bishop, Cave, and Hines.

None will travel obviously, but Hines was immense in the brief highlights I saw and no other lock stood out for me. Bishop was also fantastic - although I think he's usually an OC isn't he? Beck would be ahead of him imo, but funnily enough they have a striking similarity in the manner they take the ball into contact. Ospreys use their 12s to great effect. Cave showed how a clever outside centre operates, in nasty conditions he tackled and linked well all night. He also showed why you don't need top end pace to score tries - his jink and step in those conditions is something you'd aspire to reach as an OC. I thought Earls, apart from a few glaring errors for Munster's conceded tries, was immense as a shooting defender. Put some monster tackles in there and killed a lot of Embra's ball. Dangerously close to repeating his kick n' chase try that put him on map too. Just doesn't have the out and out playmaking ability Cave/BOD/Williams/Davies possess. He'll make the 23 though if he keeps up that level.

Front row is probably as close as you'll get, although I still think the TH spot has a question mark over it. In the row obviously Hines won't travel, although I think we're missing a trick if he isn't involved somehow (depending if Clermont reach the T14 final). Ryan hasn't been at his best, but is still a seriously good international quality lock. Gets on with it, and is as mobile and dexterous as a blindside flanker. Don't know how Lawes got on as I only watched the highlights...

The backrow would be very close to my lions pick too, with the exception of Jones - who I think will travel anyhow. I imagine a fully fit Lydiate or Fez with slot in at 6. Pity we didn't get to see SOB at 6 yesterday, as with the importance of the game I reckon he would've pulled up some trees. Still I think SOB will get the 20 shirt due to his versatility, and the sheer fact that everyone argues about his best position across the back row.

Half backs pick themselves. I saw limited amount from Care but wasn't overly impressed with the other contenders. Besides, the thought of Care and Sexton being paired is a relishing one. Murray was decent today tho, and had no right to score that try. He reminded me of Boss with his half breaks and offloads. Still think Boss does what Boss does better though...

Back three of Fitz, 1/2penny and Kearney wouldn't be far off the actual back three for the Lions. Too early to judge on Fitz and Kearney maybe, but in terms of getting back on the horse they nailed it. 1/2penny continues to look like a shark in a pond of fish in Cardiff. Serious player.

The Lions index was suspiciously realistic this week. I think they've realised how bizarre it was and fiddled with the numbers

Especially the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

.ak wrote:

Granted I missed a couple of games so can't comment on them all. Especially the Connacht game - how did McCarthy and McSherry get on? I think the sore thumbs in the list above would be Bishop, Cave, and Hines.

I have yet to watch the game on TV yet (and wont be for a while) but from what I noticed in the stands I thought they both we as good as you can expected from a well beaten team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

.ak wrote: »
    Well, what's everyone's XV after round 5? I'd pick the following from what I saw... (Pick from players from RD5 only)

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Cole
    4. Ryan
    5. Hines
    6. Jones
    7. Tipuric
    8. Heaslip

9. Care
    10. Sexton

11. Fitzgerald
    12. Bishop
    13. Cave
    14. Halfpenny
    15. Kearney

None will travel obviously, but Hines was immense in the brief highlights I saw and no other lock stood out for me. Bishop was also fantastic - although I think he's usually an OC isn't he? Beck would be ahead of him imo, but funnily enough they have a striking similarity in the manner they take the ball into contact. Ospreys use their 12s to great effect. Cave showed how a clever outside centre operates, in nasty conditions he tackled and linked well all night. He also showed why you don't need top end pace to score tries - his jink and step in those conditions is something you'd aspire to reach as an OC. I thought Earls, apart from a few glaring errors for Munster's conceded tries, was immense as a shooting defender. Put some monster tackles in there and killed a lot of Embra's ball. Dangerously close to repeating his kick n' chase try that put him on map too. Just doesn't have the out and out playmaking ability Cave/BOD/Williams/Davies possess. He'll make the 23 though if he keeps up that level.

Front row is probably as close as you'll get, although I still think the TH spot has a question mark over it. In the row obviously Hines won't travel, although I think we're missing a trick if he isn't involved somehow (depending if Clermont reach the T14 final). Ryan hasn't been at his best, but is still a seriously good international quality lock. Gets on with it, and is as mobile and dexterous as a blindside flanker. Don't know how Lawes got on as I only watched the highlights...

The backrow would be very close to my lions pick too, with the exception of Jones - who I think will travel anyhow. I imagine a fully fit Lydiate or Fez with slot in at 6. Pity we didn't get to see SOB at 6 yesterday, as with the importance of the game I reckon he would've pulled up some trees. Still I think SOB will get the 20 shirt due to his versatility, and the sheer fact that everyone argues about his best position across the back row.

Half backs pick themselves. I saw limited amount from Care but wasn't overly impressed with the other contenders. Besides, the thought of Care and Sexton being paired is a relishing one. Murray was decent today tho, and had no right to score that try. He reminded me of Boss with his half breaks and offloads. Still think Boss does what Boss does better though...

Back three of Fitz, 1/2penny and Kearney wouldn't be far off the actual back three for the Lions. Too early to judge on Fitz and Kearney maybe, but in terms of getting back on the horse they nailed it. 1/2penny continues to look like a shark in a pond of fish in Cardiff. Serious player.

Ryan Jones??? Played alright today but went off before halftime, wouldnt give him a hope of travelling myself.

But if you didn't see the Connacht game how can you pick Care at 9?

And I agree Jones is a bit of an odd choice?

But if you didn't see the Connacht game how can you pick Care at 9?

And I agree Jones is a bit of an odd choice?

I think Jones would travel, but not make the 23. He'd be great for the midweek games.

Also as I said in my post I'm basing Care's choice on what I saw from highlights, and heard he had a great game. That and none of the other SH's really impressed me.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Eli Walker anyone???

Yeah he was class in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

"The cheapest official flight and match ticket package covering the period of the three test matches against Australia, including a rugby shirt, is £2,499.
    Alternatively, the consumer group suggested, fans could transfer £183 to an Australian friend or family member to cover the price of tickets to the three games and buy their own return flight and flights between cities for a total of £1,165 - saving £1,334."

"Which? pointed out that if it was possible for British and Irish supporters to buy in person, it would be cheaper to fly to Australia in February to buy tickets and then fly back again for the matches, rather than buy the official package."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/lions-rugby-fans-being-ripped-off-004633958.html

Yikes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

CatFromHue wrote: »
    "The cheapest official flight and match ticket package covering the period of the three test matches against Australia, including a rugby shirt, is £2,499.
    Alternatively, the consumer group suggested, fans could transfer £183 to an Australian friend or family member to cover the price of tickets to the three games and buy their own return flight and flights between cities for a total of £1,165 - saving £1,334."

"Which? pointed out that if it was possible for British and Irish supporters to buy in person, it would be cheaper to fly to Australia in February to buy tickets and then fly back again for the matches, rather than buy the official package."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/lions-rugby-fans-being-ripped-off-004633958.html

Yikes!!

But they wouldn't get the rugby shirt if they did that :)

Yep, a sweet rugby shirt worth £1,334. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

danthefan wrote: »
    I don't really care tbh. He is going to make the squad.

Danthefan, I now concede, barring injury, Heaslip will indeed make the Lions squad. I still think Europe's best 8s are French & Italian, but Heaslip has clearly been the pick of the Home Nations 8s in recent months, and might even have an outside shot at Lions captaincy depending on how the 6N pans out. Fairplay to Heaslip.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

With Corbisiero out for 10 weeks and maybe gone for the season according to Brian Smith, it looks like he's out of contention.

A real shame for Corbs. Great player and a nice fella. Could've really used him in Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If it's only 10 weeks then I'd hope he's still in the frame for the Lions, he's a quality player.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Corbs will be out of the entire Six Nations shop window, hard to see him making it as we're not short of good looseheads. Can't see Marler or Vunipola making it, much as I'd love to be wrong, so it probably comes down to Healy/Grant/Jenkins/James.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Corbs will be out of the entire Six Nations shop window, hard to see him making it as we're not short of good looseheads. Can't see Marler or Vunipola making it, much as I'd love to be wrong, so it probably comes down to Healy/Grant/Jenkins/James.

I wouldnt rate Grant or James as Lions quality players, and Jenkins form has been atrocious recently, I think I would take both Marler and Vunipola before them, I'd also take whoever of Kilcoyne/Court makes the bench for Ireland ahead of trio you mentioned at the moment, real shame about Corbisiero being out, him and Healy could have been a lethal starter/impact sub combination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭Banbridgeman2

Do we agree best to start??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Do we agree best to start??

Yes, right now there is no one else even close to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Ryan Grant has the makings of a good prop, he'll have a big test against Cole at the weekend which will give us an idea of whether he could tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Yes, right now there is no one else even close to him.

His biggest threat was Strauss but a good 6N will keep Best in pole position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I wouldnt rate Grant or James as Lions quality players, and Jenkins form has been atrocious recently, I think I would take both Marler and Vunipola before them, I'd also take whoever of Kilcoyne/Court makes the bench for Ireland ahead of trio you mentioned at the moment, real shame about Corbisiero being out, him and Healy could have been a lethal starter/impact sub combination.

Paul James is seriously under rated by many but he'll definitely travel.

If Marler didn't have a mohawk and pop up on the wing for most of the game you wouldn't even notive him on the pitch. An average scrummager at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There is a Lions special on Sky Sports right now. The pundits say Ferris will be very important to the team if he can keep fit.

And just IMO O'Driscoll won't tour. He's behind Davies and Tuilagi and he won't play as a 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Clegg wrote: »
    There is a Lions special on Sky Sports right now. The pundits say Ferris will be very important to the team if he can keep fit.

And just IMO O'Driscoll won't tour. He's behind Davies and Tuilagi and he won't play as a 12.

I have to agree with that.

Although he still might tour based on his experience, but I still think he will need a big 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

But both Davies and Tuilagi can play 12. And there aren't that many great 12 options either...Roberts equally needs a big 6N, he's been pretty average this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

BOD played very well outside Roberts last time around, and Tuilagi is basically a more dynamic version of Roberts. Would like to see that centre partnership at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The panel mentioned that BOD might tour as the team captain. But IMO the captain should be someone you know will start for the test team.

IMO he's been the best centre of the professional era but that's no longer the case. He isn't even the best centre in the British Isles any more. I know her wants the Lions the be his swan song but as of right now he needs a massive 6 Nations to justify his selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Tox56 wrote: »
    BOD played very well outside Roberts last time around, and Tuilagi is basically a more dynamic version of Roberts. Would like to see that centre partnership at some point

Four years ago mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement