Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Four years ago mind.

Yeah, but any scenario where BOD is starting is predicated on the assumption that he will have a huge 6 Nations. Anything other than that and he will be very lucky to travel, but I think he has it in him. He has been written off before remember, and when he's on form he's on a different level to any of the other centres, so hopefully he can come good.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I struggle to see Tuilagi in the same league as BOD tbh. He's a great big-bosh centre but that's it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

1. Put Tuilagi in the channel that Quade Cooper is defending.
    2. Give Tuilagi the ball
    3. Tuilagi breezes past as Cooper runs for his life.
    4. Repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

.ak wrote: »
    I struggle to see Tuilagi in the same league as BOD tbh. He's a great big-bosh centre but that's it really.

He's a big bosher with a good bit of pace, a low centre of gravity and a surprising turn of speed. OK he probably wouldn't have the skills to survive in the centre if he was a skinny white boy, and he's definitely not in the same league as BOD, but he's a good player all the same and I'd be interested to see how him and BOD would work together.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »

He's really quick though as well. That's the thing. He also runs some brilliant lines.

He's very good at pretty much everything to do with carrying. He would've been an absolute godsend for the mid-2000s Munster team. Don't think he has any interest in developing any other parts of his game though unfortunately, he has the potential to be one of the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

2. Give Tuilagi the ball
    4. Repeat
    You could do the same with Ferris or SOB or Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

You could do the same with Ferris or SOB or Healy.

I'd even back ROG to do it, thats the level of coopers tackling :rolleyes:

Just can't see BOD having enough of a season left to push for a starting spot.

His defence is his greatest asset these days, and ability to organise the backline in defence.

I just don't see that being what the Lions selectors want most from their 13 though. Especially when there's so many different combinations of 12/13s that can be setup to do X Y and Z vs Australia. A Beck / Roberts / Tuilagi / Davies etc can make some pretty serious pairings!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Or

I'd even back ROG to do it, thats the level of coopers tackling :rolleyes:
    Cooper makes his debut in pro boxing this month. might harden him up a bit. Or finish him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

2. Give Tuilagi the ball
    4. Repeat

That would be the most boring Lions series of all time:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Clegg wrote: »
    There is a Lions special on Sky Sports right now. The pundits say Ferris will be very important to the team if he can keep fit.

And just IMO O'Driscoll won't tour. He's behind Davies and Tuilagi and he won't play as a 12.

In the team they picked, the Irish in the Test starting team were Healy, Ryan, Heaslip, Sexton and Zebo (think there were 6 in total, O'Brien as well?).

Surprised Ferris was mentioned given his time out of the game, though if fit.... Also they really heaped praise on Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

I personally see no reason O'Driscoll shouldn't tour as nailed on 13 and captain, providing he has a big Six Nations. Obviously I haven't seen him as much as all of you, but as far as I was aware he's mainly been injured, and playing ok when fit. If he can step it for the big games, I don't think Jon Davies or Tuilagi are that far ahead of him. Tuilagi's characterisation as just a bosher isn't entirely unfair - he's got some lovely skills when moved to use them (or has a runner to offload to), and is pretty exceptional as boshers go, but he does just mainly charge - and his defence is still a bit wayward from time to time. Davies is greedy to the point of making Tuilagi look like Conrad Smith. It's down to who performs for me, and given the motivating factor of time and just how much of a test match animal, I'd back BOD to show the goods if given a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Having seen BOD kitted out in the Lions strip in several media appearances now it would definitely seem that he is being primed to be on the tour

Tipuric has really increased his Lions value today, he was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tipuric has really increased his Lions value today, he was brilliant.

Wales will surely start him next week or Howley will be under pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Principal Skinner

BOD put a big hand up for lions capitancy today.

What a man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Halfpenny is looking the favourite for the 15 jersey, very good game today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Halfpenny is looking the favourite for the 15 jersey, very good game today.

Only one game, Rob Kearney has shown consistency in the position and I would reckon he is favourite to start at 15.

Only one game, Rob Kearney has shown consistency in the position and I would reckon he is favourite to start at 15.

Halfpenny continued on his excellent Autumn Tests form, while Kearney is only just back from injury. So I would imagine that Halfpenny has the jersey unless Kearney outperforms him in over the remainder of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Halfpenny was brilliant. The battle for the 15 shirt will go right down to the wire though.

Warburton was absolute muck today I thought. I think his captaincy chances are fading into the night. At the moment I wouldn't have him touring.

Zebo put his hand up today, as did Gilroy and Murray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Kearney is very good but Halfpenny has a more varied game. I would say that they will be the two fullbacks but 1/2p is the better player. He's just as good under the high ball, is a faster player and better on the counter attack, he is at least as good a defender. He is also a deadly goalkicker from even 50m out.

Wales will surely start him next week or Howley will be under pressure

MoTM performance for me, and he was only a sub. Madness.

Ben Youngs had a great game today, even against a poor opposition. Him and Care will both most likely tour, and then the other spot for either Murray or Phillips. I would prefer Murray, but I think it will be Phillips.

Hogg can cover 11-15, that is definitely in his favour.

Hogg can cover 11-15, that is definitely in his favour.

He's top of the list as 'bolter' anyhow. Thought he was one of the best players on the pitch today, even with the losing team.

Thought Maitland was fantastic too. Absolute cut above the rest, with a massive work rate. Reminds me of a young Fitzgerald with a killer instinct. Will be interesting to see if he puts his hand up in other games. Would be interesting if he got to play Aus for the Lions. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

jacothelad wrote: »
    Kearney is very good but Halfpenny has a more varied game. I would say that they will be the two fullbacks but 1/2p is the better player. He's just as good under the high ball, is a faster player and better on the counter attack, he is at least as good a defender. He is also a deadly goalkicker from even 50m out.

Would have to agree. I'd start with 1/2p. Excellent player. Not much between him and Kearney but the fact he can kick and he's slightly more dangerous going forward shades it for me. If it was SA again, it'd be even closer between the two as Keanrey would be slighty better under a high ball IMO but Aus are likely to try and run pretty much everything. IMO it's hard to look past a Lions win. Berrick Barnes has gone to Japan too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

clsmooth wrote: »
    Would have to agree. I'd start with 1/2p. Excellent player. Not much between him and Kearney but the fact he can kick and he's slightly more dangerous going forward shades it for me. If it was SA again, it'd be even closer between the two as Keanrey would be slighty better under a high ball IMO but Aus are likely to try and run pretty much everything. IMO it's hard to look past a Lions win. Berrick Barnes has gone to Japan too

He's not leaving till the end of the Super Rugby season so he'll still be available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

jacothelad wrote: »

Ah yea but Rob can kick DG's from 50m out! I dunno, both quality players but I just think Kearney's better, position of strength either ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Based on today ( yea I know that won't happen, just saying) I think Rob would lose out to Halfpenny for the Lions.

• Advertisement

I hope Foden gets back into the England side, I don't really rate Alex Goode. A decent footballer but doesn't have the pace and ability of Foden.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement