Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Cole is nailed on and will start the tests if fit. Adam Jones will tour. Not sure if there's room for 3 THs is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

danthefan wrote: »
    Cole is nailed on and will start the tests if fit. Adam Jones will tour. Not sure if there's room for 3 THs is there?

They should definitely bring 3 THs, it would be foolish not to, what if one gets injured a couple of days before a test? it would be too late to call up a replacement so that means they would be without a replacement TH for the matchday squad, if the only remaining TH gets injured in the game then the Lions would be f****d

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

danthefan wrote: »

If they go with a squad like SA then three will go.

If they only bring two than they'd have to be a part of every match day squad for the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I know both are likely to tour, but do the Lions really need to bring both North and Cuthbert. The Lions do not really need to bring that much power players in the back line, I would rather see some smart attacking players. I think Cuthbert is the better rugby player so would like to see him tour instead of North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I know both are likely to tour, but do the Lions really need to bring both North and Cuthbert. The Lions do not really need to bring that much power players in the back line, I would rather see some smart attacking players. I think Cuthbert is the better rugby player so would like to see him tour instead of North.
    North is the better player. If only 1 is to travel it should be North. North not on form at the moment but is the better player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Swiwi wrote: »
    Parisse did too! Oh wait...

If only!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

Do people feel wales will need a big upsurge in form in next few games to get players on plane or will gatland select them regardless,knowing their abilities and believing he can get best out of them again on tour? or would it just cause too much trouble to pick lots of underperforming welsh players with the other nations and their media?
    I think we would all agree form and fitness from this season must be the main selection criteria
    but part of you still thinks-warburton,roberts,north,phillips,jenkins etc these are gatland favourites-he will pick them regardless

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Gatland has said that one of Graham Henry's problems from the tour to Oz in 01 was that Henry picked too many players from Wales who didn't deserve to go on the Lions tour.

I doubt he'd make the same mistake himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Gatland has said that one of Graham Henry's problems from the tour to Oz in 01 was that Henry picked too many players from Wales who didn't deserve to go on the Lions tour.

I doubt he'd make the same mistake himself.

but those welsh players in 2001 had achived nothing .In fairness to wales,they did reach a world cup semi and narrowly missed out on final and won a grandslam last year so Im not sure you could compare 2001 wales with wales now. I think it depends on your view-do you think wales are much better than this and are just in a rut or is now more their level and they just went through a good period benefiting in particular from a poor 6 nations last year?

I think Wales are better than this. I mean they've played Australia 4 times and in three of those games it went right down til the last few mins, or even later in some cases. We only beat them by 8 points in the end that came from two penalties and a conversion.

In Faletau and Halfpenny they have two players who I'd have in my test team now.
    In Roberts, North, Cuthbert, John Davies, Phillips, and Adam Jones they've players who can definitely add to a Lions squad.

Warburton, Biggar, Hook, Jenkins, Ian Evans and Rees are not playing good enough at the moment or in this season to tour. It's here that Gatland will be tested on how he deals with his Welsh players. If these guys travel playing as they are now he will rightly be accused of being too kind to his current players.

Ryan Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, and Dan Lydiate I'm not sure when they're back from injury but I don't think they'll have enough time to put a case forward for touring.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I don't claim to be a rugby expert or anything close to it but for me, and maybe I'm wrong.

O'Driscoll has to be the 1st name down on the Lions starting line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

I don't claim to be a rugby expert or anything close to it but for me, and maybe I'm wrong.

O'Driscoll has to be the 1st name down on the Lions starting line up.

That's out of date thinking I'm afraid. That was true in 01, 05 and 09 but that's just not the way that it is this year.

He's playing himself into contention now but looking back over the last year he has been 3rd place in his position, let alone 1st name to be put down on the the Test team starting lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

The one great thing that I think the Lions have in their favour for me is that Gatland is universal in his experience of the home countries. He has coached in all of the nations bar Scotland. I really think that he will not have a bias towards any home nation. He does pick on form and on his beliefs on how to play the game.

Everyone admires Drico and he has made a great start, but he does have to be at the peak of his fitness with no injury worries, no one should be a "shoe in" at this stage. Drico has said hinself that he hopes that the body stands up to the six nations and now the Amlin challenge. He has made a great start, that is all. Like lots of his many admirers, I hope that he does it......... a fantastic way to end an amazing career if he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    The one great thing that I think the Lions have in their favour for me is that Gatland is universal in his experience of the home countries. He has coached in all of the nations bar Scotland. I really think that he will not have a bias towards any home nation. He does pick on form and on his beliefs on how to play the game.

Everyone admires Drico and he has made a great start, but he does have to be at the peak of his fitness with no injury worries, no one should be a "shoe in" at this stage. Drico has said hinself that he hopes that the body stands up to the six nations and now the Amlin challenge. He has made a great start, that is all. Like lots of his many admirers, I hope that he does it......... a fantastic way to end an amazing career if he does.

The only "shoe in" this weekend was to Sexton's face. The term you're looking for is "shoo-in"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Apologies dear boy on my inappropriate use of the hinglish language. "Shoo in" it is then !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Anyone see The Telegraph rugby correspondent Mick Cleary has picked his Lions starting 15.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/picturegalleries/9722323/British-Lions-XV-Mick-Cleary-picks-his-team.html

You'd have to love the guy. Must have the Eng v NZ game on continuous loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

England have a good pack but 7 players????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If we hammered NZ like that we'd be picking similar teams tbf.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

For Paws wrote: »
    You'd have to love the guy. Must have the Eng v NZ game on continuous loop.

Seeing as he wrote it after the AIs its pretty fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I can understand the all English front row. Best should be ahead of Youngs but I'd expect Youngs to travel at least on this seasons form. Corbs won't make it I don't think. But this was written before that was clear. Cole is class when he wants to be.

I can understand Launchbury but not really a massive Parling fan (Evans or Ryan for me). Robshaw and Wood both have the ability to start a Lions test. I'd be surprised if a fit SOB didn't though. And Tipuric will have a hand somewhere I'd guess.

Ben Youngs could well be the 9. Himself, Care or Murray (thanks to his experience with Sexton). Outside the half backs I'd disagree with everything!

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Seeing as he wrote it after the AIs its pretty fair.

Wonder what his selection was after the Australia game but before the NZ game.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I can understand the all English front row. Best should be ahead of Youngs but I'd expect Youngs to travel at least on this seasons form. Corbs won't make it I don't think. But this was written before that was clear. Cole is class when he wants to be.

I can understand Launchbury but not really a massive Parling fan (Evans or Ryan for me). Robshaw and Wood both have the ability to start a Lions test. I'd be surprised if a fit SOB didn't though. And Tipuric will have a hand somewhere I'd guess.

Tom Youngs is the first on the plane if it means Hartley stays put.

So how many Irish would you guys have in the 1st 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

So how many Irish would you guys have in the 1st 15?

Right now - Healy, Best, SOB, Sexton, BOD.

Clegg wrote: »
    There is a Lions special on Sky Sports right now. The pundits say Ferris will be very important to the team if he can keep fit.

And just IMO O'Driscoll won't tour. He's behind Davies and Tuilagi and he won't play as a 12.

No way. BOD is a hell of allot better than Davis. Davis tossed away 2 important passes over the touchline against Ireland. He ****ed up Wales attacking momentum in the 1st half.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

trackguy wrote: »

You're forgetting Captain Fantastic.

Healy, Best, Sexton & O'Driscoll are probable starters.

Reckon Heaslip, Ryan, Ferris, O'Brien, Murray, Kearney, Bowe & Zebo will also travel.

trackguy wrote: »

Owen Farrell is probably a more accurate kicker but I agree Sexton will get the 10 shirt because he is more experienced and a better all-round player.

SOB I think is unlikely right now. Sam Warburton is probably the favorite to start because he is a more natural OSF.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

SOB I think is unlikely right now. Sam Warburton is probably the favorite to start because he is a more natural OSF.

Warburton isn't even the best openside in Wales at the moment and SOB is way out in front of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Just no.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement