Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    He only has 11 caps. But he deserves his shot to start for Wales and has been far better than Warburton this season elsewhere.

I dont disagree with that at all-but why does that suddenly make him the lions 7-i would take o brien or robshaw above him at that moment as tipuric has still to prove it in the big games at international level.if he does then fair enough.

.ak wrote: »
    You can see a players form without them playing on an international side; parisse, Hogg, Domingo, lobbe etc

what point are you making exactly? you name players that have played well consistently at international level?
    tipuric has played very well for ospreys,a few times as a sub for wales has done well.but he surely needs to play well as a starter for wales to get a lions starting place?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Considering most players are assessed by their performances in the hcup coming into the 6n, tipuric is regularly on everyone's team sheet. He's by far the best 7 in Wales, if not one of the best in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Rob89

Gatland has spoken about playing with an out and out 7 to counter Pocock, and as SOB and Robshaw aren't really considered true groundhog 7s it means one of Warburton or Tipuric is likely to be in the team, and proven or not its Tipuric every day of the week for me.
    Do the Lions really need an out and out 7 against this Austrailian team? I don't think they're anywhere near as good as the South Africans were and definitely nowhere near the New Zealanders, anyway for me SO'B can compete very well at the break down and is a better all round player than Tupuric in my opinion.

what point are you making exactly? you name players that have played well consistently at international level?
    tipuric has played very well for ospreys,a few times as a sub for wales has done well.but he surely needs to play well as a starter for wales to get a lions starting place?

I'm saying you can't base your opinion on him just because he is playing for ospreys and not Wales. He's behind warburton at Wales, which a majority of people will tell you is a complete farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Rob89 wrote: »
    Do the Lions really need an out and out 7 against this Austrailian team? I don't think they're anywhere near as good as the South Africans were and definitely nowhere near the New Zealanders, anyway for me SO'B can compete very well at the break down and is a better all round player than Tupuric in my opinion.
    I agree that its not a must to have an out and out 7, I was simply talking about what Gatland said as since he's the coach, what he says is very relevant to how the team will pan out, for what its worth I would play SOB in the 7 jersey with Ferris/Lydiate at 6, if neither of them are fit I would play SOB at 6 with Robshaw/Tipuric at 7.

I'm saying you can't base your opinion on him just because he is playing for ospreys and not Wales. He's behind warburton at Wales, which a majority of people will tell you is a complete farce.

im not saying he shouldnt be ahead of warburton at all.Im not saying hes not a good player.But people are giving him the lions 7 shirt before hes proved it at international level. If he starts rest of 6 nations and plays very well,lets talk him up,but not until then-hes too much of a newcomer at this level which is a step or too above domestic rugby.

im not saying he shouldnt be ahead of warburton at all.Im not saying hes not a good player.But people are giving him the lions 7 shirt before hes proved it at international level. If he starts rest of 6 nations and plays very well,lets talk him up,but not until then-hes too much of a newcomer at this level which is a step or too above domestic rugby.

I getcha, but I'm saying we don't necessarily need to see someone play a load of internationals before making our mind up on him. He was by far the best welsh player last week too.

I getcha, but I'm saying we don't necessarily need to see someone play a load of internationals before making our mind up on him. He was by far the best welsh player last week too.

yes but you appreciate the point i was making-he looked good coming on as a sub when wales had all the ball going forward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

11-
    13 O'Driscoll
    14 -
    15 Halfpenny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

11-
    13 O'Driscoll
    14 -
    15 Halfpenny

Halfpenny playing well, but he's huge competition in Kearney and Hogg, and let's also remember that his goal kicking is taken out of the equation because it won't be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Foden didn't play today for Saints because he's "managing" an injury, every week that goes in the Six Nations without Foden is very bad for his Lions chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Halfpenny playing well, but he's huge competition in Kearney and Hogg, and let's also remember that his goal kicking is taken out of the equation because it won't be needed.

Barring injury 1/2p has the shirt IMO.

He just edges Kearney a little on counter attack and defence IMO...

I wouldn't be surprised to see halfpenny to take the kicks ahead of sexton if they both start.

00332189.jpgVS 00002357-image.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised to see halfpenny to take the kicks ahead of sexton if they both start.

Farrell is far from out of the running for the 10 shirt

I think Ryan Jones had a very good game today, if he continues to play like that in the rest of the 6N's he could have a good chance to go, especially if Ferris and Lydiate are injury doubts.

We need Biggar to play himself into form, he has a lot of ability but needs to show more at international level. Ruaridh Jackson isn't up to it.

I think Ryan Jones had a very good game today, if he continues to play like that in the rest of the 6N's he could have a good chance to go, especially if Ferris and Lydiate are injury doubts.

Can play 6 and 8, covers lock too. Good chance alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

Foden didn't play today for Saints because he's "managing" an injury, every week that goes in the Six Nations without Foden is very bad for his Lions chances.

His chances are over IMO. Very likely he wont feature in the 6N and with Northampton out of Europe he wont get another chance to shine, premiership form alone wont cut it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Unless Sexton has an injury or serious drop in form he's first name on teamsheet.

I also think Goode isn't out of the running, very underrated and an important member of that England backline in terms of creativity. Will be interesting to see how he goes tomorrow.

We need Biggar to play himself into form, he has a lot of ability but needs to show more at international level. Ruaridh Jackson isn't up to it.
    It would be good to see him play well and give himself a chance of going but to be honest I think Flood will be picked as 3rd choice fly half or maybe even Wilkinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

It would be good to see him play well and give himself a chance of going but to be honest I think Flood will be picked as 3rd choice fly half or maybe even Wilkinson.

I'd rather James Hook than any of the four mentioned here, perfect bench option for the midweek games

I'd rather James Hook than any of the four mentioned here, perfect bench option for the midweek games
    We might aswell consider ROG if Hook is in the running, in all seriousness though I think he is one of the most overrated players around, he's a jack of all trades master of none type of player, I can't remember an international game where he played and had a massive influence.... Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Unless Sexton has an injury or serious drop in form he's first name on teamsheet.

I also think Goode isn't out of the running, very underrated and an important member of that England backline in terms of creativity. Will be interesting to see how he goes tomorrow.

I think first name on the teamsheet is Dan Cole. Especially given Australia's history at scrumtime. Seems ahead of the rest which is basically Adam Jones & maybe Mike Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

From the impression I got neither would I. Whats his kicking %?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Full Backs: Kearney, Halfpenny, Hogg
    Wings: North, Bowe, Ashton, Visser, Cuthbert
    Centres: O Driscoll, Tuilagi, Davies, Barritt/Roberts
    Fly Halves: Sexton, Farrell, Flood
    Scrum Halves: Phillips, Youngs, Care
    8s: Heaslip, Falateau
    Flankers: O Brien, Ferris (if fit)/wood, robshaw, lydiate, Tipuric
    Locks: Gray, Launchbery, Lawes, Wyn Jones
    Hookers: Best, Ford, Rees
    Props: Healy, Corbisiero, Jones, Cole

My 38/39 personally, maybe need another prop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Full Backs: Kearney, Halfpenny, Hogg
    Wings: North, Bowe, Ashton, Visser, Cuthbert
    Centres: O Driscoll, Tuilagi, Davies, Barritt/Roberts
    Fly Halves: Sexton, Farrell, Flood
    Scrum Halves: Phillips, Youngs, Care
    8s: Heaslip, Falateau
    Flankers: O Brien, Ferris (if fit)/wood, robshaw, lydiate, Tipuric
    Locks: Gray, Launchbery, Lawes, Wyn Jones
    Hookers: Best, Ford, Rees
    Props: Healy, Corbisiero, Jones, Cole

My 38/39 personally, maybe need another prop

That's pretty good but Ford is a terrible rugby player and Wynn Jones is wildly over rated.

jacothelad wrote: »
    That's pretty good but Ford is a terrible rugby player and Wynn Jones is wildly over rated.

I'd replace Ford with Strauss, he'll probably have plenty of time left to impress before the tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ian Evans will surely tour

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement