Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Not necessarily based on this week but in general........

1. Healy
    2. Best (capt)
    3. Cole
    4. Gray
    5. Parling
    6. SOB
    7. Robshaw
    8. Faletau
    9. Phillips
    10. Sexton
    11. North
    12. Tuilagi
    13. BOD
    14. Visser
    15. Halfpenny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

After Week 2, this is my XV. Big changes from week 1
    Halfpenny, Hogg, Barritt, Scott, North, Farrell, Youngs, Jenkins, Hartley, Cole, Ryan, Parling, O'Brien, Robshaw, Beattie

*only taking into account Round 2

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

I'm just waiting for the Farrell for 10 campaign to start now. In truth yesterday Farrell was pretty average. His goal kicking was fine but all in all he kicked just as badly out of hand as everyone else and did very little with ball in hand. It admittedly wasnt the day for running rugby but for me Sexton is still set in stone for the 10 jersey. If nothing changes form wise and Farrell were to start the 1st test at 10 then I think there would be serious questions of nepotism!

....however if the hammy is is gone he may struggle to be back in the frame for a couple of weeks and may even miss France.

Speaking of 10s when does the ROG for exile campaign start?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Farrell was a lot better than average yesterday.

English fellahs in the pub all said to me that they thought Sexton was nailed on starter for this tour though. They said they're looking forward to a good rivalry between Farell and Sexton for the 2017 tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Don't think any Irish player did themselves any favours this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

danthefan wrote: »

At least they have the time to make it up though. Things would change again if England get beaten by France at Twickers and then Ireland thrash France in the Aviva, however unlikely that scenario is..

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

Farrell was a lot better than average yesterday.

English fellahs in the pub all said to me that they thought Sexton was nailed on starter for this tour though. They said they're looking forward to a good rivalry between Farell and Sexton for the 2017 tour.

We kicked a lot of loose ball to him when he hung back and he didnt kick an awful lot of it back with an great quality(that said it was still better than what he could muster). He lacked control at times and was gotten to on more than one occasion. He was spared slightly by the fact we had no out half to bring people in to test him for just over an hour.
    Tox56 wrote: »
    At least they have the time to make it up though. Things would change again if England get beaten by France at Twickers and then Ireland thrash France in the Aviva, however unlikely that scenario is..

Les enfants de la Patrie are on the march in France at the moment and they have 2 weeks to storm the Bastille. The France that rock up in Twickers may well be very different to the France of the opening 2 rounds. However they will then come here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I think an important thing to note is when the squad is picked and they're out in Australia they'll be removed from the inadequacies of their national set up and you'd presume everyone would have equal opportunity once arrived. Yes i'm talking about the Irish players finally getting a decent platform to perform but Gray is another example. He could shine once pulled from the ****eness that is Scotland and Sale.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think very few players in general did themselves any favours.

Didn't see the Scotland game, but the other two were ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I thought Murray looked v good.

Others who impressed (but we know are locks to make it already) were SOB and Best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think very few players in general did themselves any favours.

Didn't see the Scotland game, but the other two were ****e.

I think Mike Ross can be happy - Irish scrum stood up well enough, and he had a solid game. He's not going to make a Lions starting 15, but he's got a good chance to go as one of the 3 tightheads in the squad. Otherwise I generally agree.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I thought Murray looked v good.

Others who impressed (but we know are locks to make it already) were SOB and Best.

SOB needs to run a bit straighter, he headed sideways across the field a few times when setting off on those bullocking runs of his, but yes I agree he & Best should be pretty certain to travel downunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think Halfpenny has nailed down his starting shirt.

His accurate goal kicking from long range could be the difference maker in one of the tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

Right now its difficult to see any Irish backs featuring in the starting 15, with the exception of a fit Drico

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Right now its difficult to see any Irish backs featuring in the starting 15, with the exception of a fit Drico

Well there's Sexton but other than that I agree.

Sexton?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I think Halfpenny has nailed down his starting shirt.

His accurate goal kicking from long range could be the difference maker in one of the tests.

Possibly helps Sexton's cause, his biggest competitor is Farrell and Farell's biggest asset is kicking. If you have Halfpenny kicking at goal it becomes more about the other aspects of 10 play, and I'd say that favours Sexton

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Owen Farrell could secure the 10 shirt today

Tox56 wrote: »
    Possibly helps Sexton's cause, his biggest competitor is Farrell and Farell's biggest asset is kicking. If you have Halfpenny kicking at goal it becomes more about the other aspects of 10 play, and I'd say that favours Sexton

Tend to agree. Halfpenny seems to always kick well. Farrell has been good internationally, but I know he has had some shockers at club level. Sexton has also had off days with the boot. As Halfpenny is a certainty to start, and therefore goalkick, Sexton's better running game might get him the nod over Farrell. Will be a close call, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Very few players will have their test shirts guaranteed before the tour itself, for the most part club and test form will get you on the plane but performances in warm up games will for most players decide whether they start or not.

• Advertisement

shuffol wrote: »
    Very few players will have their test shirts guaranteed before the tour itself, for the most part club and test form will get you on the plane but performances in warm up games will for most players decide whether they start or not.

Halfpenny is one of those, however - unless he suffers a major drop-off in form. But I'm not WG, so maybe he has other ideas...

If Fofana has an Irish granny, maybe we could pick him for the Lions! :D

If Fofana has an Irish granny, maybe we could pick him for the Lions! :D

I read his Grandad was Australian :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

The three players who a certain starters in the first test are 7,Robshaw[cpt],13 Tuilagi and Halfpenny at 14.

sting60 wrote: »
    The three players who a certain starters in the first test are 7,Robshaw[cpt],13 Tuilagi and Halfpenny at 14.

I think the backrow and outside centre is up for debate, while Halfpenny has been playing fullback all season and should be put there. The Lions aren't short of quality wingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

sting60 wrote: »

Definite on Robshaw and Halfpenny (at 15), could see Manu and BOD as 12/13 perhaps, but at the minute it's definitely likely that we'll see Davies/Manu.

Kearney needs to up his performance tomorrow to have a chance.

We're looking less likely to have a strong representation every week.

Owen Farrell could secure the 10 shirt today

So based on that do you reckon he lost it today?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Sorry ment Halfpenny at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

So based on that do you reckon he lost it today?!

Never had it in the first place, don't rate Farrell, never have, his passing is ROG-like and his kicking is overrated. He shouldn't be near the Lions team.

• Advertisement

Never had it in the first place, don't rate Farrell, never have, his passing is ROG-like and his kicking is overrated. He shouldn't be near the Lions team.

I'd agree, found the above post funny.
    Farrell is hugely overrated, Sexton a much rounder skillset.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement