Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Healy
    Best
    Cole
    Launchbury
    Gray
    Haskell
    Robshaw
    Heaslip
    Youngs
    Farrell
    North
    Tuilagi
    O'Driscoll
    Cuthbert
    Halfpenny

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

Healy
    Best
    Cole
    Launchbury
    Gray
    Haskell
    Robshaw
    Heaslip
    Youngs
    Farrell
    North
    Tuilagi
    O'Driscoll
    Cuthbert
    Halfpenny

I was with you until here

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Farrell is a very good player but I just don't think he's on the same level as Sexton.

Sexton is certainly not perfect either, but he should suit the game plan against Australia. Unless we plan to keep things tight, which we surely won't.

I was with you until here

Who then ?. O'Brian?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I thought Cole was fairly poor today. Not sure why he's one of the untouchables.

• Advertisement

Who then ?. O'Brian?

O'Brien is in a different league to Haskell imo, Tom Wood is also a better 6

EDIT - assuming Ferris and Lydiate dont make it

Fingers crossed Lydiate will be fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I think Gatland has put himself under pressure with his comments about including English players. The big thing is what style the Lions will adopt. With Andy Farrell involved it looks like it will be an English gameplan based around choking the life out of the Aussies. A dominant scrum and tight defence. The English lineout was poor though so will be interesting to see who fills these spots come Lions time. Halfpenny seems to have nailed the full back spot and Cuthbert and North could yet be beside him.
    Back row and 2nd row are still up in the air.

O'Brien is in a different league to Haskell imo, Tom Wood is also a better 6

But both O'Brain and Robshaw are Openside Flankers

O'Brien plays 6 very well. Was the European player of the year at 6.

He's still plays there depending on game plan. Although I think there are better 6s that will hopefully be available to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

O'Brien is excellent at BS flanker as well. Ferris and Lydiate are better blindsides but O'Brien is head and shoulders above above Haskell at 6

Unless you had only started watching him this season you would know SOB is good enough to play blindside for this team, would be surprised if Robshaw is not the 7 and Heaslip the 8

It will be hard to get the balance right in the backrow.
    If the Lions play a very tight game having an openside like Tipuric may not be as important. No 8 seems to be the position where there isnt strength in depth. You would imagine the Lions would want a lineout option at either 6 or 8, thus that limits certain players like OBrien, Haskell.
    That will be big challenge for Gatland to find balance there.
    Playing a loose game in 20 degree heat may give the advantage to the Aussies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 243 ✭✭Fits Morris

The Wales-England match could go a long way towards deciding a number of Test spots, namely:

14: Cuthbert v Ashton
    13/12 - Tuilagi/Barritt v Davies/Roberts
    9 - Youngs currently in pole position but if Phillips was to get back to his best he is still in with a shout
    8 - Faletau v Wood/possibly Morgan if fit
    7 - Robshaw in the box seat here but Tipuric may still be in with a chance
    5/4 - Evans has a chance of forcing out either Parling or Launchbury
    1 - Corbisiero would have been my choice but won't be fit for this match and very doubtful for the tour, Jenkins and Marler could be in direct competition for a starting spot here - Healy is too indisciplined

I hope Gatland doesnt bring Ashton. He wouldnt be a good tourist or add to the squad spirit. No need to when there are good alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I hope Gatland doesnt bring Ashton. He wouldnt be a good tourist or add to the squad spirit.No need to when there are good alternatives.

Ashton is an excellent winger.

If Ashton should have a problem with anybody it's Tuilagi - but they seem to get on just fine together for England despite their infamous on-field falling out a couple of years back.

That isn't to say that personalities can't have a negative effect, far from it - on the last tour to Australia, Austin Healy and Matt Dawson got uppity when they weren't picked for the tests and it definitely affected the spirit in the camp. A lot will depend on how the management handle things. A New Zealander in charge of Wales was the coach for that tour and so it is again this time round. Graham Henry was a dead man walking as Wales coach after that tour - it'll be very interesting to see if being in charge of the Lions affects Gatland's tenure with Wales afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭twinytwo

The Wales-England match could go a long way towards deciding a number of Test spots, namely:

9 - Youngs currently in pole position but if Phillips was to get back to his best he is still in with a shout
    1 - Corbisiero would have been my choice but won't be fit for this match and very doubtful for the tour, Jenkins and Marler could be in direct competition for a starting spot here - Healy is too indisciplined

Mate id say you could fit your rugby knowledge onto a pin head....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think Gatland has put himself under pressure with his comments about including English players. The big thing is what style the Lions will adopt. With Andy Farrell involved it looks like it will be an English gameplan based around choking the life out of the Aussies. A dominant scrum and tight defence.

I fear the worst on this score. What time will these matches be at? Can't see myself getting/staying up to watch them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I fear the worst on this score. What time will these matches be at? Can't see myself getting/staying up to watch them.

They won't be too bad, most will be on about 10 or 11 I think.

• Advertisement

twinytwo wrote: »
    Do please demonstrate your reasoning for that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

twinytwo wrote: »

With room for a generous size font.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Do please demonstrate your reasoning for that :pac:

That one would be a good indication anyway...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Out of curiosity, do you think any Irish players will make the team?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I really don't care what happens in the next two games. Sexton is immeasurably better than Farrell as a fly half and will start there for all the tests unless he is injured. I'm not (I think) a rabid Irish fan with regards the Lions, I don't think any other Irish players are guaranteed to start and would have only BOD and SOB as guaranteed tourists otherwise. Sexton is far and away the best flyhalf in the BI though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Todays game will tell us who is the worst team outside Italy and on that basis alot of posters are going to get a shock at the amount of Lions picks Ireland are going to get.I tend to watch games with my eyes with my ears closed and not the other way around.As I have posted before Gatland will wait until the last game is played to fully pick his squad as im sure he already has certain players on the plane.Unless Kearney has a MOM performance today he will not travel as I think he behind Halfpenny.Hogg and Goode.BOD will need a master showing to travel[maybe at 12].Alot to play for at 4,5,6.The Irish dark horse to start first test is Peter O Mahony[stormer today please].Very disappointed with Farrell yesterday but at least we know the no7 and captain.Looking forward to watching Kelly Brown today as i think he is a super player.My front row so far is Healy,Best[throwing??] and Euan Murray.Another player we have to watch is Tim Visser with the excellent Hogg at full back.

You are relying on present form there. Playing Euan Murray in the first test the last time instead of Adam Jones cost the Lions the series. Kearney will definitely travel but prob wont start. Previous Lions experience will count.

You are relying on present form there. Playing Euan Murray in the first test the last time instead of Adam Jones cost the Lions the series. Kearney will definitely travel but prob wont start. Previous Lions experience will count.
    Murray wasn't involved at all.

It was Vickery and Mears who had trouble.

Healy
    Best
    (even thought he's been terrible today)
    Cole
    Launchbury

Hamilton
    Robshaw
    O'Brian
    Heaslip

Youngs
    Farrell

North
    Tuilagi
    O'Driscoll
    Chutbert
    Halfpenny

6 English
    5 Irish
    3 Welsh
    1 Scottish

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, do you think any Irish players will make the team?
    Ooh, tough call after that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement