Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Did you not see his motm performance today with a trademark steal at the end just as it seemed Scotland might get the equalising try. I would be shocked if he isnt a starter. Picking 8 will be a lot harder

Really encouraging performance. Especially against the Scottish pack.

But it was his first performance of that standard in a few months. So I want to see it from him again against England. It's his last chance to put his hand up due to Cardiff being ****e.

Really hope he can do it again, he's so good on that form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The backrow is interesting as you need a lineout operator at either 6 or 8. SOB's height may limit him to playing at 7 where there is a lot of competition. Peter OMahony is also a possible bolter. Offers a lot at 6 once he keeps his discipline under control. He looks bang in form too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Did you not see his motm performance today with a trademark steal at the end just as it seemed Scotland might get the equalising try. I would be shocked if he isnt a starter. Picking 8 will be a lot harder

Played well today but I thought the commentators were completely blowing up his performance mainly because he's been so out of form for the past 9 months. Jiffy was squealing like a stuck pig any time he came within 5 yards of the ball. Backrowers like Robshaw and SOB have been playing that well consistently throughout the 6 Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I would've had Ashton in before the season but he is playing as poorly as he possibly could at the moment, 1/2 tries in last 20 tests!! Shocking think it'll be either a full Welsh back three or else, Goode 15, Halfpenny 14 and Cuthbert/North 11.

I'd be going with

Healy Best Coles
    Lauchbury Ryan
    SOB Faletau Robshaw (c)
    Murray Sexton
    Roberts Tuilagi
    North Goode Halfpenny (k)
    Halfpenny will not be used on the wing. He and Rob Kearney are better fullbacks than Goode

Felexicon wrote: »
    Halfpenny will not be used on the wing. He and Rob Kearney are better fullbacks than Goode

Goode has played virtually mistake free rugby though even though I think he lacks a little fairy dust.

Kearney has not had a good 6 Nations. Even today in the last 15 minutes there was him dithering to collect a chip kick before flinging a terrible pass to McFadden (which to McFadden's credit he collected off his bootlaces) and then Kearney hitting a dreadful clearance kick that went about 5 yards up the line. France had the lineout and eventually they scored their try a minute or so later but it was Kearney's terrible kick that gave them good field position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

I think Tuilagi at 12 and O'Driscoll at 13 could reap incredible dividends, Patty McCabe is a good defender as is AAC, but imagine 17 stone of Samoan bulk coming at you time after time, with a genius outside him. Could be hard to contend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

England are absolutely not one-dimensional. That's such a lazy stereotype.

Yeah, you're right, that was lazy of me. I was trying (facetiously, you got me) to make the point that basing lions selections purely on team performance in what has been a less than stellar 6N would be crazy. You've got to take a wider view....I've never been of the opinion that, when it comes to the Lions, you just take the home nations champions from a given year and load the team with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

i am still of the view that there are no standout england players...the reason they are doing so well in the championship is because they are the best team but the best individual players come from wales and ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

toomevara wrote: »
    Yeah, you're right, that was lazy of me. I was trying (facetiously, you got me) to make the point that basing lions selections purely on team performance in what has been a less than stellar 6N would be crazy. You've got to take a wider view....I've never been of the opinion that, when it comes to the Lions, you just take the home nations champions from a given year and load the team with them.

It happened in 2009, rightly or wrongly, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Luke Marshall as a bolter?

I've thought this. It's unlikely but when you look at the options it's not impossible. There arent too many 12s knocking the door down. Hopefully he will play next week as he has that and the HEC QF to convince. As I say it's unlikely but we know Gatland has a history of throwing young players in unexpectedly so he may have a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

If Ireland gets two starting the Lions first test we will be lucky.Healy and Sexton maybe the two .Kearney will not be on the plane ,BOD will be lucky to be on the plane,Murray no chance,Heaslip very luck to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

sting60 wrote: »
    If Ireland gets two starting the Lions first test we will be lucky.Healy and Sexton maybe the two .Sexton will not be on the plane ,BOD will be lucky to be on the plane,Murray no chance,Heaslip very luck to travel.

So Sexton won't tour but he might start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

bilston wrote: »
    I've thought this. It's unlikely but when you look at the options it's not impossible. There arent too many 12s knocking the door down. Hopefully he will play next week as he has that and the HEC QF to convince. As I say it's unlikely but we know Gatland has a history of throwing young players in unexpectedly so he may have a chance.

The opening will be if Gatland deems Roberts and Barritt as too similar to take both. I think Marshall has overtaken Matt Scott but will run out of time; had he played in all 6N games I think he'd have a reasonable chance. Saracens-Ulster will be interesting as Marshall will line up opposite Barritt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Squad is announced just before Heineken semi's isn't it?

sting60 wrote: »
    If Ireland gets two starting the Lions first test we will be lucky.Healy and Sexton maybe the two .Kearney will not be on the plane ,BOD will be lucky to be on the plane,Murray no chance,Heaslip very luck to travel.

BOD wouldn't be lucky at all. What's his competition? Tuilagi who has had a decent 6 Nations alright will certainly go. Jonathan Davies has been pretty quiet for Wales. If BOD wants to go I'd be very surprised if he isn't selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Squad is announced just before Heineken semi's isn't it?

It was 4 years ago as Im sure Quinny will remember to his cost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Toby Flood put his name in the hat for a seat on that plane today. Possibly both England Fly Halves going

Toby Flood put his name in the hat for a seat on that plane today. Possibly both England Fly Halves going

Really? Thought he a was bit poor myself. I like the way Flood tries to play, but it defo wouldn't appeal to Gatland. Incidentally I think Farrell will start - he suits what Gatland likes; flyhalves who can sit back in the pocket, and play from deep, comfortably.

.ak wrote: »

Really? Thought he a was bit poor myself. I like the way Flood tries to play, but it defo wouldn't appeal to Gatland. Incidentally I think Farrell will start - he suits what Gatland likes; flyhalves who can sit back in the pocket, and play from deep, comfortably.
    Yeah but Flood may go as a utility back as he can do a job at centre aswell

Felexicon wrote: »
    Yeah but Flood may go as a utility back as he can do a job at centre aswell

So can Sexton. I think we'll see Farrell, Sexton and Biggar going. Would be surprised if Flood travelled, although he may if there's room.

• Advertisement

he was anonymous beyond kicking his points.

Halfpenny can kick all the points, and still own a game from FullBack.

Toby "the Waterboy" Flood is no Lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Wouldnt be surprised to see Wilkinson get a wildcard selection, been the best 10 in France this year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 243 ✭✭Fits Morris

Owen Farrell was hugely missed by England today and in his absence has possibly strengthened his claim to start at stand-off half.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Wilkinson get a wildcard selection, been the best 10 in France this year

Brock James has been superb imo. Wilkinson relies on an allstar pack to protect him. He won't have such luxury with the Lions imo (although the Lions pack should be far superior to Aussies').

Still, I'd like to see Wilkinson travel, if not just for the drama of it. :P

So can Sexton. I think we'll see Farrell, Sexton and Biggar going. Would be surprised if Flood travelled, although he may if there's room.
    Jesus don't get me wrong, Sexton should definitely be on the plane ahead of Flood. But I could see Flood going ahead of Biggar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

flyhalves who can sit back in the pocket, and play from deep, comfortably.

That would be such a waste considering the backline talent available to the Lions. I'm not so sure Gatland does favour 10s like that, I think he's just had to work with some pretty limited or poor flyhalves in his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Owen Farrell was hugely missed by England today and in his absence has possibly strengthened his claim to start at stand-off half.

Agree....he really has made England tick so far

Our 'maybe's'...Kearney Murray Heaslip Ryan Best need big games in Italy next week

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

My personal take is that neither English fly-half has ruled himself out, neither's ruled himself in. They and their partners in crime at 9 have done the job you'd expect given what's gone on around them, both good and bad - plenty of quick ball and forward runners, wobbly set piece, a mess in the back line. Right now I'd expect most of the pack to travel, some half-backs if only because of the mess in other nations, and fairly few from 11-15. I wouldn't be surprised if only Tuilagi went from those.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Hang on a second if you guys are making the point that Gatland is going to bring a 10 who can play center then Farrell is a certainty , he has played center for half of his career if not more. Sexton and Flood have played a handful of games at center

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

David Pocock's absence for the series is a terrible shame.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement