Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Danny Cipriani, has the experience of playing in Australia and can cover a few positions across the backline. He played alongside and against the Australian players, so will know their strengths and weaknesses. Will also know about their tactics and how they like to play. Very good friends with a lot of the Australian team, so will know about their mental toughness. His style of play is suited to the way Australia will play, he will thrive in the open field.

Not only should he tour, he should also be in contention for a starting spot.

:D

Are these even reasons?

The more I read it the less sense it makes....."will know about their mental toughness"

WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

It was a joke mate!

Teferi wrote: »
    It was a joke mate!

Ye I knew that.....

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

sting60 wrote: »
    Based on what i have seen so far,but the big game for Lions test places is next week in Cardiff.1 Jenkins,2 Youngs,3 Jones,4 Launchbury,5 Parling,6 Robshaw [cpt],7 Warburton,8 Wood,9 Laidlaw,10 Farrell,11 North,12 Barrett,13 Tualangi,14 Halfpenny,15 Hogg.

outrageous selection , you must be a 13 year old kid from england ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Danny Cipriani, has the experience of playing in Australia and can cover a few positions across the backline. He played alongside and against the Australian players, so will know their strengths and weaknesses. Will also know about their tactics and how they like to play. Very good friends with a lot of the Australian team, so will know about their mental toughness. His style of play is suited to the way Australia will play, he will thrive in the open field.

Not only should he tour, he should also be in contention for a starting spot.

:D

Danny's busy scaling new heights playing in the LV cup final for Sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 darahiggins

the best player who hasnt been mentioned so far: Steffon Armitage. should be on the england team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

the best player who hasnt been mentioned so far: Steffon Armitage. should be on the england team

I rate Armitage pretty highly, and think he'd be a far better option than Haskell. I do think he does deserve a go at England, maybe get picked to go on an England tour over the summer if there is one? I just dont see him getting in there for the lions, I hope he does but don't think he will.

I rate Armitage pretty highly, and think he'd be a far better option than Haskell. I do think he does deserve a go at England, maybe get picked to go on an England tour over the summer if there is one? I just dont see him getting in there for the lions, I hope he does but don't think he will.

On a side note, if Haskell (somehow) makes the trip I will weep

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    On a side note, if Haskell (somehow) makes the trip I will weep

Won't we all..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Haskell and Armitage play completely different positions.

I think Haskell would suit the way I really hope the lions will try to play. There are better options though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Steffon is a great player. However, I don't think he'd fit into Gatland's vision of a team of super conditioned players. Steffon's conditioning/fitness has been under question marks, even if he does tear up lumps for 60 min.

Haskell and Armitage play completely different positions.

I think Haskell would suit the way I really hope the lions will try to play. There are better options though.

I meant move Robshaw to 6 and play Armitage at 7. Robshaw isn't a natural 7 is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I meant move Robshaw to 6 and play Armitage at 7. Robshaw isn't a natural 7 is he?

I think Robshaw can play anywhere across the back row. So he could facilitate Armitage at 7.

Armitage is a class act, easy to forget how good he is over in France. But i just don't feel like he has much of a chance unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Change of topic but just listening to talk sport and joost Van Der Westhuizen the brilliant Springbok.He is terminally ill with zero chance of getting better.He sounds very very sick indeed but my god is he a brave man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

joost Van Der Westhuizen

Always think of the commentary in Jonah Lomu rugby when I hear his name. Didn't hear the interview. Very sad if he's terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Change of topic but just listening to talk sport and joost Van Der Westhuizen the brilliant Springbok.He is terminally ill with zero chance of getting better.He sounds very very sick indeed but my god is he a brave man.

I listened to that earlier. It's hard to imagine how the great Springbok scrum half from the '95 WC could end up suffering an illness like this. It must be hard for him because his brain is working as normal so he's 100% compus mentus but just can't control his body. I think they said that from diagnosis he would have 2-5 years to live and that was in 2011 so it is indeed very very sad. As a teenager in the 90s he was one of my rugby heroes at a time when there weren't too many Irish ones to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I would love to see Robshaw as a normal starter and not the captain, just let him free to go out there and do his thing.

Laidlaw has kicked himself onto the bench for the Tests for me, covers OH and SH and takes his 3 points when they come, very reliable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Sexton just became a doubt for the lions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Nightmare for him. He should have enough time to recover though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Where does it say that he might miss the tour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

trouttrout wrote: »
    Where does it say that he might miss the tour?

Barely any 6 nations and not fit until at least mid April missing AMLIN QF at least, its now a big possibility he wont tour if Farrell etc stay fit unfortunately.

ssaye wrote: »
    Barely any 6 nations and not fit until at least mid April missing AMLIN QF at least, its now a big possibility he wont tour if Farrell etc stay fit unfortunately.

If Sexton is fit he'll tour. Who else are they going to bring?!

Has he been ruled out of the quarter final?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

trouttrout wrote: »
    If Sexton is fit he'll tour. Who else are they going to bring?!

Has he been ruled out of the quarter final?

England and either Scotland or Wales OH, its a Poor, injured Irish team at the moment so I expect 5-7 to tour and 2-3 starters

1 Month out so yes

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

ssaye wrote: »
    Has Farrell even been passed fit for this weekend yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

dtpc191991 wrote: »

yeah.

dtpc191991 wrote: »

He's fit ya.

Sexton will travel even if he is out for a month. There simply isn't anyone in the home nations to step in for him

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

yeah.

Good, at least the English won't be able to blame Flood if they lose the championship now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sexton will travel if he's passed fit the day before the plane leaves.

• Advertisement

I hope so. But tendions are a funny thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement