Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

sting60 wrote: »
    Change of topic but just listening to talk sport and joost Van Der Westhuizen the brilliant Springbok.He is terminally ill with zero chance of getting better.He sounds very very sick indeed but my god is he a brave man.

He has motor neurone disease, and the average life expectancy is about 5 years. It's hard to know what to say in such situations, as "get well soon" is trite since it's unrealistic, the best I can say is that he was an absolutely fantastic scrumhalf, universally respected & feared in equal measure in NZ, and as it's quite hard to get the NZ public to acknowledge players from other countries, that says it all. Hopefully with modern medical therapy he can exceed expectations, and I would wish him well.

.ak wrote: »
    I hope so. But tendions are a funny thing.

Tendions, British & Irish Lions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Swiwi wrote: »
    Tendions, British & Irish Lions ;)

That's how we be spelling tendons today. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Swiwi wrote: »
    He has motor neurone disease, and the average life expectancy is about 5 years. It's hard to know what to say in such situations, as "get well soon" is trite since it's unrealistic, the best I can say is that he was an absolutely fantastic scrumhalf, universally respected & feared in equal measure in NZ, and as it's quite hard to get the NZ public to acknowledge players from other countries, that says it all. Hopefully with modern medical therapy he can exceed expectations, and I would wish him well.

This was a recent interview with him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsmFWrY8wzU

Poor guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Big weekend now for Conor Murray - Another big performance from him puts him in contention going into the Heineken

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Really not as confident of a series win as I was six months ago

If I had to take a crack at naming a 23 now I'd go with:

1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Jones
    4 Launchbury
    5 D Ryan
    6 SOB
    7 Tipuric
    8 Beattie
    9 Youngs
    10 Sexton
    11 North
    12 Tualagi
    13 BOD
    14 Luke Fitzgerald
    15 Halfpenney

16 Youngs
    17 Marler
    18 Cole
    19 Wyn Jones
    20 Armitage
    21 Murray
    22 Farrell
    23 Hogg

trouttrout wrote: »

1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Jones
    4 Launchbury
    5 D Ryan
    6 SOB
    7 Tipuric
    8 Beattie
    9 Youngs
    10 Sexton
    11 North
    12 Tualagi
    13 BOD
    14 Luke Fitzgerald
    15 Halfpenney

16 Youngs
    17 Marler
    18 Cole
    19 Wyn Jones
    20 Armitage
    21 Murray
    22 Farrell
    23 Hogg

I don't think Aussie will be as weak as people might (hope to) think. It's a shame Pocock is out, but Hooper & Gill are more than able replacements. I think Australia would love to have Giteau in the mix. There has been plenty of talent on display in the SXV, hopefully the big names like Genia, Horwill etc remain injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Toulon are almost certainly going to be in the Top14 semis, remember the Top14 final is held the same day as the Lions vs Barbarians match in Hong Kong.

If Gatland wants all the players available for the Barbarians match then Armitage mightn't be available.

1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Jones
    4 Launchbury
    5 D Ryan
    6 SOB
    7 Tipuric
    8 Beattie
    9 Youngs
    10 Sexton
    11 North
    12 Tualagi
    13 BOD
    14 Luke Fitzgerald
    15 Halfpenney

16 Youngs
    17 Marler
    18 Cole
    19 Wyn Jones
    20 Armitage
    21 Murray
    22 Farrell
    23 Hogg

Not a bad shout, think Rob Kearney will still be in the 23 though along with Tom Croft - Croft with a start at 6 and SOB to 7 maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Big weekend now for Conor Murray - Another big performance from him puts him in contention going into the Heineken

Its hard to have two great half backs playing in a game. When Johnny plays for Ireland Murray gets a little overshadowed but when Paddy is inside him Connor gets to put his mark on the game which makes him stand out a little.

Johnny being out might give him a little extra room to make his mark.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Murray is still not fast enough for me.

remember at least one occasion in the France game where he could have been a lot faster getting the ball away when we had an overlap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Murray is still not fast enough for me.

remember at least one occasion in the France game where he could have been a lot faster getting the ball away when we had an overlap.

When in the game was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Not a bad shout, think Rob Kearney will still be in the 23 though along with Tom Croft - Croft with a start at 6 and SOB to 7 maybe

I think that unless he's starting Kearney won't be in the 23, simply due to versatility, and I can't see past Halfpenny for 15, unless he's played on the wing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

When in the game was this?

Just before he went off, up along far right touchline. Reminiscent of some of his form last year, it was fairly poor and slow actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Jones
    4 Launchbury
    5 D Ryan
    6 SOB
    7 Tipuric
    8 Beattie
    9 Youngs
    10 Sexton
    11 North
    12 Tualagi
    13 BOD
    14 Luke Fitzgerald
    15 Halfpenney

16 Youngs
    17 Marler
    18 Cole
    19 Wyn Jones
    20 Armitage
    21 Murray
    22 Farrell
    23 Hogg

7 Irish players in the starting XV? Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

bilston wrote: »
    7 Irish players in the starting XV? Not a chance.

Luke Fitz and D Ryan very unlikely to start (Luke Fitz in particular has next to no chance of travelling) but the rest really aren't that unlikely, which is surprising given how poor this 6 Nations has been for us

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I think that unless he's starting Kearney won't be in the 23, simply due to versatility, and I can't see past Halfpenny for 15, unless he's played on the wing

Really i would think the opposite to be honest. Kearney brings massive experience and he is for me one of the best players in Europe on his day - Cant see Hogg and Halfpenny both in a matchday squad

Really i would think the opposite to be honest. Kearney brings massive experience and he is for me one of the best players in Europe on his day - Cant see Hogg and Halfpenny both in a matchday squad

Nah, Warren Gatland isn't Deccie, outside back players on the bench will probably have to cover two positions, so the likes of Hogg, Browne, Fodan, Laidlaw, Tualagi, Davies would have bigger claims than a Biggar, Visser, or in forward context Heaslip for eg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Nah, Warren Gatland isn't Deccie, outside back players on the bench will probably have to cover two positions, so the likes of Hogg, Browne, Fodan, Laidlaw, Tualagi, Davies would have bigger claims than a Biggar, Visser, or in forward context Heaslip for eg.

Kearney does to an extent cover wing and Halfpenny definitely does anyway. No need for versatility on the bench when you've got it on the pitch.

Kearney does to an extent cover wing and Halfpenny definitely does anyway. No need for versatility on the bench when you've got it on the pitch.

Not sure on Kearney covering wing, but yes good point on Halfpenney alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

There is never a situation where the bolded is true. The outside back on the bench in all circumstances should cover more than one position.

danthefan wrote: »
    There is never a situation where the bolded is true. The outside back on the bench in all circumstances should cover more than one position.

Wouldn't agree with that at all.

Example: Leinster put out a team with Luke, Isa and MCF as the back three. You'd have Reid/Conway on the bench ahead of Kearney just because he covers more positions?

As the poster above argues, no real need to have flexibility on the bench if you have it on the pitch, though in the Lions context I'd probably have Hogg ahead of Kearney for eg for a sub position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Kearney was the outside back replacement in the first test 4 years ago.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Luke Fitz and D Ryan very unlikely to start (Luke Fitz in particular has next to no chance of travelling) but the rest really aren't that unlikely, which is surprising given how poor this 6 Nations has been for us

Donnacha Ryan has a great chance of starting . Been brilliant in the lineout this year for Munster and Ireland , he is a leader too. I think Ryan will start and I would be surprised if he wasnt in the 23 for the first test on current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

If the Aussies put out a backline of Genia, Cooper, Mitchell, Giteau, Ioane, O'Connor and Beale, they could do serious damage. Pity Giteau isn't considered, good for the Lions though.

If the Aussies put out a backline of Genia, Cooper, Mitchell, Giteau, Ioane, O'Connor and Beale, they could do serious damage. Pity Giteau isn't considered, good for the Lions though.

O'Conner , Beale and Genia will be fresh coming back from injuries, my worry for the Aussies is Cooper at 10 in a Lions test - extremely unpredictable and hasnt been playing well so far this year in the Super 15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

danthefan wrote: »

But there is...like the one I said. It's like the Irish backrow are you happy with Henderson on the bench? He only covers 6 but both SO'B and PO'M cover all backrow positions so it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

But there is...like the one I said. It's like the Irish backrow are you happy with Henderson on the bench? He only covers 6 but both SO'B and PO'M cover all backrow positions so it doesn't matter.

He plays 8 and second row too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

He also covers 2nd row so there is versatility still there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He plays 8 and second row too..

When has Henderson played 8?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement