Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

twinytwo wrote: »
    gray is out isnt he?

Really? I hear he took a knock but didn't think it was that bad.

In such case Alun Wyn Jones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Really? I hear he took a knock but didn't think it was that bad.

In such case Alun Wyn Jones

D Ryan is playing better rugby than Wyn Jones

trouttrout wrote: »
    D Ryan is playing better rugby than Wyn Jones
    Your probably right but who is Gatland more likely to select. Jones plays for him with Wales and Jones has tour experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Your probably right but who is Gatland more likely to select. Jones plays for him with Wales and Jones has tour experience

Gatland won't be biased, the players that he feels deserves to start, will start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭schmanga

Gatland won't be biased, the players that he feels deserves to start, will start.

agreed, gatland won't be biased. expect he'll pick lawes, wyn jones, parling, launchbury, and maybe ryan depending on whether he names lawes as lock or back row. o'connell may go if he has a massive game in heineken q/f in which case ryan has no chance at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

schmanga wrote: »
    agreed, gatland won't be biased. expect he'll pick lawes, wyn jones, parling, launchbury, and maybe ryan depending on whether he names lawes as lock or back row. o'connell may go if he has a massive game in heineken q/f in which case ryan has no chance at all.

Lawes was so anonymous at 6 this year when he played, doubt Gatland will pick him as a 6 or if he even picks him as a 4. Unless he sees him as a midweek side player who might push for test selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'm not sure I would start any Scots at all. Don't see anyone particularly deserving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

trouttrout wrote: »
    JOC has played at 12 for the force anyway

May well have, but of course he's at 15 for the Rebels this year. I think he'll play 14 or 15 for Aussie (I would go with 14), and an outside bet at 10 where he has definitely played before, but I'd be surprised to see him in the midfield facing Tualagi, Roberts, BOD etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Swiwi wrote: »
    May well have, but of course he's at 15 for the Rebels this year. I think he'll play 14 or 15 for Aussie (I would go with 14), and an outside bet at 10 where he has definitely played before, but I'd be surprised to see him in the midfield facing Tualagi, Roberts, BOD etc.

Why? His defence is pretty good he's got all the skills for a 12 and would be perfect there I think. has looked good when he's played there as well IMO.

Why? His defence is pretty good he's got all the skills for a 12 and would be perfect there I think. has looked good when he's played there as well IMO.

I think Aussie will go with a Pat McCabe style of player. I think it'd be risky to put JOC at 12, unless he plays a bit there this season. You can't just move him from 15 where he's playing with the Rebels to 12 in a first test v the Lions - asking for trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

twinytwo wrote: »
    Re Highlighted.... I take it you dont watch much rugby?????

Brad Barritt has been englands defensive linchpin all year! Farrell was badly missed last weekend, is a class player and defensively immaculate. Easter the form 8 arguably, Murray is similar to phillips with better kicking game so Gatland may look at him. Hines is a savage 2nd row, Warburton probably get the nod!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

I think Aussie will go with a Pat McCabe style of player. I think it'd be risky to put JOC at 12, unless he plays a bit there this season. You can't just move him from 15 where he's playing with the Rebels to 12 in a first test v the Lions - asking for trouble.

He has a fair bit of experience there though. I agree McCabe would be first choice but injuring himself on return from a neck injury there's a good chance his form and/or fitness may be poor upon full return. With Barnes also looking like he could be out I'd say it's not the most impossible thing in the world. Though Lealiifan could end up there as well even if I'd say he's be better than Cooper at the moment.

He has a fair bit of experience there though. I agree McCabe would be first choice but injuring himself on return from a neck injury there's a good chance his form and/or fitness may be poor upon full return. With Barnes also looking like he could be out I'd say it's not the most impossible thing in the world.

I don't disagree he might have the talent to play there, but I think Deans would be foolish to move him from 15 to 12 just like that, based on a few games there for the Force last season.

Folaua hasn't been anything special to date, and not sure where all the love for Cooper is coming from. Likewise Hooper & Gill will be ahead of G Smith for the 7 jersey. And has JOC ever played 12? And their inspirational captain James Horwill - dropped from the lineup?

Couldn't think of another Row, Horwill since hasn't played all year! JOC played 12 a lot last yr in S15, defended well against SBW and wants to be in a playmaker roll. Think Smith is so good but according to reports if he isn't released from Japanese contract he' ineligible. Cooper is a great player...........on his day, but as i said he can win or lose them a game. Him and Genia go well together. Can't see many other wingers in Oz that may go ahead of Folau personally, Mitchell and Turner are off the pace, think Shiperley is only other one or maybe Jesse Mogg whose playing really well at 15

Couldn't think of another Row, Horwill since hasn't played all year! JOC played 12 a lot last yr in S15, defended well against SBW and wants to be in a playmaker roll. Think Smith is so good but according to reports if he isn't released from Japanese contract he' ineligible. Cooper is a great player...........on his day, but as i said he can win or lose them a game. Him and Genia go well together. Can't see many other wingers in Oz that may go ahead of Folau personally, Mitchell and Turner are off the pace, think Shiperley is only other one or maybe Jesse Mogg whose playing really well at 15

Cooper is Australia's answer to Freddie Mich. On a dry surface with dominant forwards, can be lethal, but I don't think anyone is picking the Aussies to walk all over the Lions forwards, and in recent internationals Cooper has folded under pressure.

I don't disagree he might have the talent to play there, but I think Deans would be foolish to move him from 15 to 12 just like that, based on a few games there for the Force last season.

PLayed 10/12/14 for Oz already, he's 10 for Rebels now with Beale out, as i mentioned in last yrs S15 he quietened the almost unstoppable SBW with the Chiefs, defensively he's solid as a rock

Cooper is Australia's answer to Freddie Mich. On a dry surface with dominant forwards, can be lethal, but I don't think anyone is picking the Aussies to walk all over the Lions forwards, and in recent internationals Cooper has folded under pressure.

Definitely agree with that but i doubt Barnes will be picked 10 because he kicks too much. If not Cooper than Beale at 10

PLayed 10/12/14 for Oz already, he's 10 for Rebels now with Beale out, as i mentioned in last yrs S15 he quietened the almost unstoppable SBW with the Chiefs, defensively he's solid as a rock

Ok well maybe, but if I was a betting man I'd put money on him wearing 14/15. Feel free to quote this back at me if he wears 12 :)

Definitely agree with that but i doubt Barnes will be picked 10 because he kicks too much. If not Cooper than Beale at 10

Or the Brumbies 10/12 might have a say about that. I agree, I definitely wouldnt pick Barnes, he reminds me of a typical Scottish 10, and that won't win a Lions series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I always thought JOC's long term future would be at Inside Centre, he has the passing game and the defensive game to fit in there. However due to injuries and lack of quality players, he has been kept on the wings. I think he is wasted on the wings and at full back, but he will most likely be lining out in those positions against the Lions. Can see him going up against up North to try and nullify his strength.

• Advertisement

Or the Brumbies 10/12 might have a say about that. I agree, I definitely wouldnt pick Barnes, he reminds me of a typical Scottish 10, and that won't win a Lions series.

Leallaifano is a quality player and could be an option, but I'd agree if they aren't gonna go for JOC than it'll be between McCabe, Fainga and Taupai. Interesting to see where McCabe slots into the Brumbies when back from injury, Can't really change 10/12 at the moment cause their playing so well

Leallaifano is a quality player and could be an option, but I'd agree if they aren't gonna go for JOC than it'll be between McCabe, Fainga and Taupai. Interesting to see where McCabe slots into the Brumbies when back from injury, Can't really change 10/12 at the moment cause their playing so well

Fainga is terrible IMO, Lealiafano has been going OK for the Brumbies. I would like to see JOC play at 12 just to see how he goes, but he'll need to switch soon, and I doubt the Rebels will move him there.

Fainga is terrible IMO, Lealiafano has been going OK for the Brumbies. I would like to see JOC play at 12 just to see how he goes, but he'll need to switch soon, and I doubt the Rebels will move him there.

Not a Fainga fan either but gives ya what McCabe does defensively, Taupai is way better, fantastic ball player and may get a nod as is in the leadership group with Reds as a VC

Gatland is probably a bad choice as coach now because he won't be able to start enough Welsh players without being criticized for picking his own players

Really the team should be Wales heavy but politics will force him to select English,Irish Scots who are not the best option

FB 15 Leigh Halfpenny (Yes)
    RW 14 Alex Cuthbert (Yes)
    OC 13 Jonathan Davies (?)
    IC 12 Jamie Roberts (?)
    LW 11 George North (Yes)
    FH 10 Dan Biggar (Yes)
    SH 9 Mike Phillips (Yes)
    N8 8 Toby Faletau (Yes)
    OF 7 Justin Tipuric (Yes)
    BF 6 Sam Warburton (?)
    RL 5 Ian Evans (?)
    LL 4 Alun Wyn Jones (Yes)
    TP 3 Adam Jones (Yes)
    HK 2 Richard Hibbard (?)
    LP 1 Gethin Jenkins (Yes)

Seriously there is only 4 or 5 you could even debate is not the best option for the lions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

FB 15 Leigh Halfpenny
    RW 14 Alex Cuthbert
    OC 13 Jonathan Davies
    IC 12 Jamie Roberts
    LW 11 George North
    FH 10 Dan Biggar
    SH 9 Mike Phillips

N8 8 Toby Faletau
    OF 7 Justin Tipuric
    BF 6 Sam Warburton
    RL 5 Ian Evans
    LL 4 Alun Wyn Jones
    TP 3 Adam Jones
    HK 2 Richard Hibbard
    LP 1 Gethin Jenkins (c)

Seriously there is only 4 or 5 you could even debate is not the best option for the lions

There. 8 I wouldn't have in my team. Bear in mind Wales' terrible form when it comes to Australia. Back 3 are world class. Back row also class. Front 5 can have their day but not special. So too the centres and half-backs. For the record I'd have BOD, Sexton, Youngs, SOB, Parling, Cole, Youngs and Healy in for the bolded players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

matthew8 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have in my team. Bear in mind Wales' terrible form when it comes to Australia.

What is it up to now?

7 or 8 losses in a row, both on home soil, away games and for good measure on neutral ground, might have to be addressed, seems Gatland was in charge of all those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

FB 15 Leigh Halfpenny (Yes)
    RW 14 Alex Cuthbert (Yes)
    OC 13 Jonathan Davies (?)
    IC 12 Jamie Roberts (?)
    LW 11 George North (Yes)
    FH 10 Dan Biggar (Yes)
    SH 9 Mike Phillips (Yes)
    N8 8 Toby Faletau (Yes)
    OF 7 Justin Tipuric (Yes)
    BF 6 Sam Warburton (?)
    RL 5 Ian Evans (?)
    LL 4 Alun Wyn Jones (Yes)
    TP 3 Adam Jones (Yes)
    HK 2 Richard Hibbard (?)
    LP 1 Gethin Jenkins (Yes)

Mike Phillips was good today but he's debatable and I don't think Biggar is the best option at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Healy
    Best (has no competition)
    Jones
    Parling
    Jones
    OBrien
    Tipuric
    Faletau
    Phillips
    Sexton
    Roberts
    ODriscoll
    North
    Cuthbert
    Halfpenny

Injuries likely to happen and could change things. Warburton could play 6 too. Lineout is weak with a small 6 so Tom Wood could be an option. Is he the guy that played in last lions or was it Croft? If it was Croft then him at 6 maybe.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    There. 8 I wouldn't have in my team. Bear in mind Wales' terrible form when it comes to Australia. Back 3 are world class. Back row also class. Front 5 can have their day but not special. So too the centres and half-backs. For the record I'd have BOD, Sexton, Youngs, SOB, Parling, Cole, Youngs and Healy in for the bolded players.

Jones is a concrete starter. Philips is too, Halfpenny will be kicking so Bigger might as well start 10 with the added advantage of knowing Philips game

Ofcouse politics will force a number of deserving Welsh players out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement