Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The worry about ODriscoll is whether he is capable of playing 3 competitive games in a row on hard ground in Oz. Playing him at 12 and Tuilagi at 13 I wouldnt be hopeful about. For me Roberts and ODriscoll. They have good previous form too. Perhaps a case for Roberts and Tuilagi but not sure if Tuilagi is smart enough to read other players' lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Is it a 'fantastical managerial record'? He's director of rugby.

Yes it is a fantastic record. He might have a different title. But he still sets the tactics, picks the team and makes subs etc like any other manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

My XV

Healy
    Best
    Jones
    Evans
    AWJ
    SOB
    Tipuric
    Faletau
    Phillips
    Sexton
    North
    Davies
    O'Driscoll
    Cuthbert
    Halfpenny

Close calls at TH(Cole), lock(Gray), scrumhalf(Youngs) and at 12(Tuilagi).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

trouttrout wrote: »
    Yes it is a fantastic record. He might have a different title. But he still sets the tactics, picks the team and makes subs etc like any other manager

Don't forget John Kingston.

But O'Shea has had two very successful reigns as a DoR now and I'd love to see him brought in.

I would love to see us use the structure he seems to like. Appoint him as our DoR (change Wigglesworth's job title) with his current responsibilities and then appoint a head coach beneath him. You could have something like O'Shea and Elwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

More bull from Hook, says that Adam Jones is not the fittest player. Jones played 80 mins last week and 72 mins this week while the rest of the 6 nation props are pulled off around the regulation 60-65 mins mark.

• Advertisement

More bull from Hook, says that Adam Jones is not the fittest player. Jones played 80 mins last week and 72 mins this week while the rest of the 6 nation props are pulled off around the regulation 60-65 mins mark.

Jones never kills himself in the loose though. Cole is certainly much fitter but the scrum should be a weapon for the Lions and Jones is the man in that regard

Anyway, I'm off the watch Dredd. Sick of rugby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

So, leaving that argument aside, you'd be happy with BOD at 12, Fez at SR or ROG at 10 and Sexton at 12?

COS hasn't exactly talked a great game on that panel tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I think it is important to remember that a lot of this Welsh team where found out tactically against Australia last summer, so I would not be rushing to have a Welsh dominated team.

So, leaving that argument aside, you'd be happy with BOD at 12, Fez at SR or ROG at 10 and Sexton at 12?

COS hasn't exactly talked a great game on that panel tbh.

You mean that far more relevant point of COS coaching record to date?

You can't base your opinion of him as a coach on three suggestions he made as a pundit . You can bet your left eye those producers in RTÉ are egging Hook, Pope and COS on to suggest things like that for entertainments sake. Take them with a pinch of salt, and the context they were said in would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I think it is important to remember that a lot of this Welsh team where found out tactically against Australia last summer, so I would not be rushing to have a Welsh dominated team.

In fairness to them,the three matches were close enough and they had Rhys Priestland at 10 who after a great season in 2011 seemed to have forgotten how to play rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

You mean that far more relevant point of COS coaching record to date?

You can't base your opinion of him as a coach on three suggestions he made as a pundit . You can bet your left eye those producers in RTÉ are egging Hook, Pope and COS on to suggest things like that for entertainments sake. Take them with a pinch of salt, and the context they were said in would be my advice.

Or could you not take into agreement his opinions on the Irish team over the last two years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shwah

15. Halfpenny (K)
    14. Cuthbert
    13. O'Driscoll
    12. Roberts
    11. North
    10. Sexton
    9. Phillips
    8. Morgan
    7. Warburton/Tipuric
    6. Lydiate
    5. Hamilton
    4. AWJ
    3. Cole
    2. Best
    1. Jenkins

16. Ford
    17. Healy
    18. Jones
    19. Gray
    20. O'Brien
    21. Youngs
    22. Farrell
    23. Hogg

If Bowe can show some form in the short time he'll have left in the season I'd love to see him make it, but realistically it's looking like Cuthbert at this point in time.

I don't think O'Driscoll is as assured of his place as we'd all like him to be either. I really hope he makes it, but Tuilagi and Davies are right up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Surely Healy must be a starter.

Or could you not take into agreement his opinions on the Irish team over the last two years?

I myself would pay little attention to them. I'd value his actual onfield record and the game he plays with Quins as more far more important than stuff he says on RTÉ (which most of the time, he's actually spot on with)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 243 ✭✭Fits Morris

Revised Test team (and first replacements) as of 16/3/13

15. Halfpenny (Hogg)
    14. Cuthbert (Ashton)
    13. Tuilagi (Davies)
    12. Roberts (O'Driscoll)
    11. North (Visser)
    10. Farrell (Sexton)
    9. Phillips (Youngs)
    8. Faletau (Beattie)
    7. Tipuric (O'Brien)
    6. Robshaw (Lydiate)
    5. Wyn-Jones (Launchbury)
    4. Hamilton (Parling)
    3. Cole (Jones)
    2. Ford(Best)
    1. Jenkins (Marler)

Captain: Robshaw

Revised Test team (and first replacements) as of 16/3/13

15. Halfpenny (Hogg)
    14. Cuthbert (Ashton)
    13. Tuilagi (Davies)
    12. Roberts (O'Driscoll)
    11. North (Visser)
    10. Farrell (Sexton)
    9. Phillips (Youngs)
    8. Faletau (Wood)
    7. Tipuric (O'Brien)
    6. Robshaw (Lydiate)
    5. Wyn-Jones (Launchbury)
    4. Hamilton (Parling)
    3. Cole (Jones)
    2. Rees (Hartley)
    1. Jenkins (Marler)

Captain: Robshaw

Some absolutely ridiculous calls in there. Marler ahead of Healy, Wood ahead of Heaslip? Harltey and Rees (neither of whom start for their country) ahead of Best? Cole ahead of Jones? Farrell ahead of Sexton? BOD at 12 ?

Oh and not one Irish player in the starting 15. Are you just looking to get a reaction?

Some absolutely ridiculous calls in there. Marler ahead of Healy, Wood ahead of Heaslip? Harltey and Rees (neither of whom start for their country) ahead of Best? Cole ahead of Jones? Farrell ahead of Sexton? BOD at 12 ?

Oh and not one Irish player in the starting 15. Are you just looking to get a reaction?

I edited two selections as the post was done in haste, I have Ford at hooker and Beattie at replacement 8.

The reason I have no Irish players is pretty simple - none deserve to be on the team. That's the sad reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Healy, Hibbard, Jones, AWJ, POC*, Robshaw, Tipuric, SOB
    Phillips**, Sexton, North, Roberts, Tuilagi, Cuthbert, Halfpenny

Bench: Best, Jenkins, Cole, Lawes, Lydiate, Youngs, Farrell, Hogg

*big question mark over this one I know! However with Gray out I think it opens the door for O'Connell should he prove his fitness.

**Provided he turns up with his "I'll play this good every so often" form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Could you please refrain from quoting him, you are making this forum a less happy place.

I edited two selections as the post was done in haste, I have Ford at hooker and Beattie at replacement 8.

The reason I have no Irish players is pretty simple - none deserve to be on the team. That's the sad reality.

Ha, but Dan Cole deserves to start? Despite getting his arse handed to him in nearly every game in the championship?

And that's not even touching on the rest of the ludicrous selections in that team

Anyway just reading through some of your posts and you're either a troll or dangerously clueless. Good day to you sir

• Advertisement

BOD at 12 is because Tuilagi and Davies are ahead of him in the queue for 13. Roberts has the starting spot at 12 nailed down. However O'Driscoll's experience is too great not to have on the bench. It will have to be at 12, if anywhere.

The Wales-England match could go a long way towards deciding a number of Test spots, namely:

14: Cuthbert v Ashton
    13/12 - Tuilagi/Barritt v Davies/Roberts
    9 - Youngs currently in pole position but if Phillips was to get back to his best he is still in with a shout
    8 - Faletau v Wood/possibly Morgan if fit
    7 - Robshaw in the box seat here but Tipuric may still be in with a chance
    5/4 - Evans has a chance of forcing out either Parling or Launchbury
    1 - Corbisiero would have been my choice but won't be fit for this match and very doubtful for the tour, Jenkins and Marler could be in direct competition for a starting spot here - Healy is too indisciplined
    I wasn't wrong. This evening's match means it will now be a Wales-dominated XV.

14: Cuthbert nailed on
    13: Tuilagi v Davies is a toss up, could go either way
    12: Roberts nailed on
    9: Phillips in pole position
    8: Faletau nailed on
    7: Tipuric on the box seat, Robshaw too good to leave out however IMO and has to be accommodated somewhere
    5/4: Wyn-Jones the big mover
    1: Jenkins nailed on

3 is now a toss up between Cole and Jones who has staked a serious claim for inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Probably no bad thing that Ireland won't have many traveling with the Lions. The squad is injury ravaged, numerous players probably need a rest during the Summer and the new coach (hopefully) could probably do without it given he has to rebuild almost from the bottom up.

The Lions is obviously a big honour for the players but whether they win or lose I forget about it within an hour. Whereas Ireland losing is just depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A lot of rugby to be played yet and who knows what might happen. If Bowe gets back in time he will travel. Lydiate is another for the dirty work. I thought Mike Phillips played v well today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think Tuilagi has had a particularly good 6N. He's been incredibly one dimensional for England and not even that good at that one dimension. His position at 13 has a part to play in Ashton's lack of try scoring methinks. I like Davies and and would have both him and BOD way, way ahead of Manu for the 13 jersey. I don't even think he should travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Healy, Hibbard, Jones, AWJ, POC*, Robshaw, Tipuric, SOB
    Phillips**, Sexton, North, Roberts, Tuilagi, Cuthbert, Halfpenny

Bench: Best, Jenkins, Cole, Lawes, Lydiate, Youngs, Farrell, Hogg

*big question mark over this one I know! However with Gray out I think it opens the door for O'Connell should he prove his fitness.

**Provided he turns up with his "I'll play this good every so often" form.

3 starters and a sentimental hopeful is about right.

Heaslip, while hasn't been as bad as some here have said, has definitely been outplayed by his counterparts and Best's darts won't have done him any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Oh and Ian Madigan, by the very definition of a Bolter, should be a Bolter!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Principal Skinner

I wasn't wrong. This evening's match means it will now be a Wales-dominated XV.

14: Cuthbert nailed on
    13: Tuilagi v Davies is a toss up, could go either way
    12: Roberts nailed on
    9: Phillips in pole position
    8: Faletau nailed on
    7: Tipuric on the box seat, Robshaw too good to leave out however IMO and has to be accommodated somewhere
    5/4: Wyn-Jones the big mover
    1: Jenkins nailed on

3 is now a toss up between Cole and Jones who has staked a serious claim for inclusion.

A tuilagi roberts partnership would be absolute madness. Two players who just run straight into contact would be very easy to defend. The wings would never be see the ball at all.

Also haven't seen Davies have a good game yet. BOD showed him up in the Wales Ireland match as well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

A tuilagi roberts partnership would be absolute madness. Two players who just run straight into contact would be very easy to defend. The wings would never be see the ball at all.

Also haven't seen Davies have a good game yet. BOD showed him up in the Wales Ireland match as well

Davies played very well yesterday. Much better than Tuilagi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

bilston wrote: »
    Davies played very well yesterday. Much better than Tuilagi.

I wouldn't say very well. I thought he missed a few opportunities to get people in space, and generally distributed the worst in the backline. He's good in his day, but I thought yesterday wasn't it and probably do him any favours regarding Lions spots. Think he'll travel. Or else Scott may be a surprise choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement