Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I think Sexton for captain could be a very astute bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Noopti wrote: »
    I think Sexton for captain could be a very astute bet.

It'd be a shrewd one. Personally I think he'd love the honour, but I just don't like the idea of 10 being a captain. He'll have enough on his mind.

.ak wrote: »
    It'd be a shrewd one. Personally I think he'd love the honour, but I just don't like the idea of 10 being a captain. He'll have enough on his mind.

Fair point. Sexton has shown on a number of occasions that he has excellent leadership abilities, however these have been in situations where he hasn't been the official captain. So there is a risk in giving him armband for sure. But I think Sexton is the type of player Gatland would go for as captain. My pros and cons:

+ He is one of a few almost certain starters (once he gets fit of course!)
    + He extremely focused and demands high standards
    + He has shown in numerous occasions where he can lift the team and lead by example
    + He position allows him to be close to the front 8 and the back-line

- He hasn't got experience as captain at the highest levels
    - Has he the right personality to captain the Lions?
    - Will he be fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Why is Bod being touted as Lions skipper, he's no longer the national captain, why would he be the Lions one? Is it due to the fact that there are no obvious choices?

Noffles wrote: »
    Why is Bod being touted as Lions skipper, he's no longer the national captain, why would he be the Lions one? Is it due to the fact that there are no obvious choices?

What has that got to do with it? O'Connell wasn't the national captain in 2009 & BOD has years of experience captaining a national side.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but ask most pundits, fans, club members and general rugby folk around Ireland and they'll tell you taking the Captaincy off BOD this year was the wrong choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Noopti wrote: »
    Fair point. Sexton has shown on a number of occasions that he has excellent leadership abilities, however these have been in situations where he hasn't been the official captain. So there is a risk in giving him armband for sure. But I think Sexton is the type of player Gatland would go for as captain. My pros and cons:

+ He is one of a few almost certain starters (once he gets fit of course!)
    + He extremely focused and demands high standards
    + He has shown in numerous occasions where he can lift the team and lead by example
    + He position allows him to be close to the front 8 and the back-line

- He hasn't got experience as captain at the highest levels
    - Has he the right personality to captain the Lions?
    - Will he be fit?
    PUT 50E ON @40/1.Injury is a worry but I got non runner no bet.

Yeah, but ask most pundits, fans, club members and general rugby folk around Ireland and they'll tell you taking the Captaincy off BOD this year was the wrong choice.

I'll not dispute that...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Heaslip is obviously not going to be captain.

Who is the Wales captain, if I'm right three different captains this season. Jenkins, Warburton and Jones. Jones won't travel and Jenkins and Warburton are 50/50 to make the test team. Not sure I'd make one of them captain if they most likely will be in and out of the team.

Same with the English captain Robshaw, no guarantee he will make the team, will be fighting with Warburton and Tipuric to play 7.

The Scotish captain is Kelly Brown. I would place money on him not touring so he can't be captain.

So since there are no obvious choices and BOD is likely to start he is being talked about as captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Ireland are preparing to hand over the reigns of captaincy as BOD/POC might not be around for the next world cup and both were unavailable in the autumn series so a new captain was needed. The Lions don't have to worry about 2 years from now and only concentrate on the next few months. BOD is an ex-Lion captain, well respected, playing well in a position where other candidates didn't stand out in the 6N and looks to be in a position of strength.

The Welsh armband was handed around like musical chairs which lessened one individual standing above the others. They each played well, but it's hard to pick a standout individual, possibly Wyn-Jones. Tipuric displacing at 7 Warburton weakened his case. I don't see many English players being given captaincy as many are still inexperienced or hotheads like Hartley. Gatland had talked up the importance of experience in an early interview about the tour. Robshaw isn't composed and experienced enough to be Lions captain IMO, he's come on this year but he's still inexperienced compared to others and the backrow is probably the most competitive area in the squad, I also have doubts about his decision making, if the Lions was another year away he'd be much more likely a candidate. That competition in the backrow will also work against Brown and I can't see any Scottish player being in the first 15, bar Hamilton; given the Lions captaincy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Three of the national captains are Chris Robshaw, Jamie Heaslip and Kelly Brown, none of whom are certain to be on the plane let alone in the Test team.

The Welsh captain started off as Sam Warburton but by the end of the 6N it was Gethin Jenkins (via Ryan Jones in between). I can't see Jenkins being Lions captain (although he will tour) so that only leaves Warburton... And since the Welsh coaches made Jenkins captain to let Warburton concentrate on his own game, it's hardly a ringing endorsement of where he's at.

I think BOD is the logical choice. He's by far the most experienced player and leader who is likely to be on tour and if he stays fit, I think he's going to be in the Test team.

My outside bet would be AW Jones.

Edit: Ha!I see that Paddy Power have AW Jones as second favourite at 3/1. Wouldn't touch those odds.

I'd be happy with AW Jones, actually.

As would I....

But to be honest I've no idea who they'll pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Yeah, I've always been a fan, former Wales captain, previous Lions tourist, just think that 3/1 is very short odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Just to add to the multitude of other reasons above, POC wasn't national captain when he was Lions captain, Martin Johnson wasn't national captain when he was Lions captain, BOD wasn't even Leinster captain when he was captaining Ireland

I'd also pick BOD. I do think he's the best option, but it would also be great if he went out of rugby as a winning Lions captain.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Just to add to the multitude of other reasons above, POC wasn't national captain when he was Lions captain, Martin Johnson wasn't national captain when he was Lions captain, BOD wasn't even Leinster captain when he was captaining Ireland

I'd also pick BOD. I do think he's the best option, but it would also be great if he went out of rugby as a winning Lions captain.

Alright lads, you can calm down, I see many reasons why he 'could' be skipper.... whether he will is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Three of the national captains are Chris Robshaw, Jamie Heaslip and Kelly Brown, none of whom are certain to be on the plane let alone in the Test team.

The Welsh captain started off as Sam Warburton but by the end of the 6N it was Gethin Jenkins (via Ryan Jones in between). I can't see Jenkins being Lions captain (although he will tour) so that only leaves Warburton... And since the Welsh coaches made Jenkins captain to let Warburton concentrate on his own game, it's hardly a ringing endorsement of where he's at.

I think BOD is the logical choice. He's by far the most experienced player and leader who is likely to be on tour and if he stays fit, I think he's going to be in the Test team.

My outside bet would be AW Jones.

Edit: Ha!I see that Paddy Power have AW Jones as second favourite at 3/1. Wouldn't touch those odds.
    A W Jones 3/1 ,was 8/1 yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Gatland when interviewed the other day said the captain would have to be guaranteed his place in the team. That could well mean AW Jones. Dont know how good he is dealing with the media as that will be a big part of the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Anyone find Gatland's comments about Zebo very positive? Seems to me that if he returns from injury and gets a couple of games under his belt before the squad is announced then he's in with a very good chance. It helps that most wingers in contention are predominantly right sided players (Cuthbert, Bowe, Maitland, Ashton, even North for the Scarlets).

Comments can be viewed here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

On the Australian front, good games for Genia and Cooper today. Genia, while still struggling for fitness, looked sharp for the time he was on. Cooper's tricks came off today, still massively unpredictable but certainly did his chances for the starting jersey no harm. Horwill had a timely return as well. Unsure what side Australia will line out with, I think they have a lack of depth so if they have a more severe injury crisis they will struggle to name a strong team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I really hope Zebo does go, I think his form deserves a place.

But did Gatland say that Ulster and Munster are in the Amlin, or did I misread that? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Wilkinson is one of the icons of our sport, it would be great if he could sign off with a series win over Australia. Incidentially he will announce this month if he will retire from all rugby at the end of the season or go for another year.

It wouldn't surprise me if Wilkinson is one of the players put on reserve for the tour.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

tbh I don't really want Wilkinson involved considering the type of game I want the Lions to employ

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Am I the only one who doesn't think Wilkinson is playing good enough rugby at the moment, or for the last few years for that matter, to even to be considered for the Lions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I do not see much reason to pick Wilkinson, except maybe sentimental reasons. Not sure he is needed at all. Sexton provides the experience, and Farrell provides the solid kicker; which would be Wilkinson's strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Wilkinson would bring absolutely nothing to the table. I'd be shocked if a guy of his age, current performance level and injury record would be under consideration whatsoever. Sexton, Farrell, Madigan, Laidlaw and Biggar would all be more likely tourists in the squad or as injury call ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Since people keep talking up Madigan for the Lions, how would we feel for Freddie Burns getting a call?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Wilkinson would bring absolutely nothing to the table. I'd be shocked if a guy of his age, current performance level and injury record would be under consideration whatsoever. Sexton, Farrell, Madigan, Laidlaw and Biggar would all be more likely tourists in the squad or as injury call ups.

He hasn't suffered a serious injury for four years. Age doesn't really come into either as long as he is playing well. I don't think his form warrants a call up though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement