Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Odds for starting player in each position are up

Like the look lf Heaslip to start the first test @ 3/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Walsh isn't allowed to referee the tests as he's affiliated with the Australian Union. I think Pollock is a good ref, I'd rather see Barnes take the last test over Poite, and that's saying something.

There was no way an English ref was going to be awarded a Lions test match. It's just begging for controversy, regardless of the result.

trouttrout wrote: »
    Odds for starting player in each position are up

Like the look lf Heaslip to start the first test @ 3/1

Heaslip won't start first test, barring an extraordinary run of injuries. I'm pretty sure WG will go with Faletau. Jamie needs to find some extra form just to secure the plane ticket. Loose forward, along with wing, is probably the most competitive position for the Lions.

Jamie Roberts is 2/5 to start the first test! I'll be laying that all day. He was good in the last game of the six nations but he's been very poor all season

Also Jenkins 9/4 is a big price considering Gatland may want to spring Healy from the bench

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Jamie Roberts is 2/5 to start the first test! I'll be laying that all day. He was good in the last game of the six nations but he's been very poor all season

Gatland is a big fan and the only other competition for the 12 jersey is Barritt, so I'd say he's definitely the favourite.

A centre partnership of Roberts-Tuilagi would be awful though, so might work out well for O'Driscoll,

Gatland is a big fan and the only other competition for the 12 jersey is Barritt, so I'd say he's definitely the favourite.

A centre partnership of Roberts-Tuilagi would be awful though, so might work out well for O'Driscoll,

Tuilagi could play 12

BOD is 11/10 to start 1st test, I reckon he'd be odds on if he wasn't getting injured more frequently lately

Anyone but Barritt for me! However, I have faith in my compatriot, he won't let the side down with his selection!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Swiwi wrote: »
    I would be surprised to see Madigan on the plane. His credit in the bank basically comes from the Rabo direct competition, due to sitting behind Sexton in the Leinster pecking order. Much like the ABs no longer select bolters from the ITM cup, I'd be surprised if Gatland did the same from the Pro-12. However, he has form in this area, so it's possible, but I doubt Madigan is generating the same enthusiasm on the Scottish/Welsh/Eng rugby forums as he is on the Irish one.

Gatland is going to be an impartial and keep an eye on everything. Other people on other forums from other countries won't be interested in Madigan because they haven't been watching him. English rugby watchers might have no idea who Madigan is, but Gatland will have been watching him the last few months for sure. A Scottish rugby correspondent at the Glasgow-Leinster game:
    As lucky as that might have been for Madigan, everything else he did in this match could more easily be classified as brilliance, an all-round virtuoso performance by the playmaker that begged more questions of Ireland coach Declan Kidney not to call on his services more often in the Six Nations.

Gatland watches that match, does he think the same? I'm using Madigan as an example, he won't go to Australia, but consistent performances will be recognised, regardless of the overall importance of the games they're playing in. Gatland even knew POC was playing a Leinster-Munster A game a few weeks ago for instance, and enthusiasm on forums isn't a reliable way to measure Lions prospects. They may seem like long shots because they were playing on a cold wet night in March, but bolters have to come from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hogg at 5/1 is interesting. He wouldn't be my pick at FB to start but I'd reckon he should be ahead of Kearney at the moment. If I was a bookie I would imagine that I would be pricing it around 3/1 or 5/2

Donnacha Ryan 11/1 is also interesting especially for those of you who have him in their test team. I wouldn't have him starting if I was picking a team but I wouldn't have his as 9th choice either. 4 or 5 to 1 would probably be a fairer price.

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    Gatland is going to be an impartial and keep an eye on everything. Other people on other forums from other countries won't be interested in Madigan because they haven't been watching him. English rugby watchers might have no idea who Madigan is, but Gatland will have been watching him the last few months for sure. A Scottish rugby correspondent at the Glasgow-Leinster game:

Gatland watches that match, does he think the same? I'm using Madigan as an example, he won't go to Australia, but consistent performances will be recognised, regardless of the overall importance of the games they're playing in. Gatland even knew POC was playing a Leinster-Munster A game a few weeks ago for instance, and enthusiasm on forums isn't a reliable way to measure Lions prospects. They may seem like long shots because they were playing on a cold wet night in March, but bolters have to come from somewhere.

Yeah I agree, I'm just trying to temper the expectations a tad! We haven't seen Madigan at 10 under the blowtorch of a fully-fledged international. It's one thing to look a million dollars in a rabo match v Glasgow, it's another to do it for the Lions v Australia under a worldwide TV glare. It's a crying shame he wasn't given more of a go by Kidney, but that kind of angle has been done to death!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Hogg at 5/1 is interesting. He wouldn't be my pick at FB to start but I'd reckon he should be ahead of Kearney at the moment. If I was a bookie I would imagine that I would be pricing it around 3/1 or 5/2

Donnacha Ryan 11/1 is also interesting especially for those of you who have him in their test team. I wouldn't have him starting if I was picking a team but I wouldn't have his as 9th choice either. 4 or 5 to 1 would probably be a fairer price.

Halfpenny at 15 for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'll be surprised if Ryan tours tbh. He had an average enough 6N and he was calling our pretty awful lineout.

danthefan wrote: »
    I'll be surprised if Ryan tours tbh. He had an average enough 6N and he was calling our pretty awful lineout.

Agree, he kind of went backward as the 6N progressed. There are plenty of locking options. If he does make the squad, it will be as a midweek grafter.

Halfpenny at 15 for me.

The only way Halfpenny won't be 15 is if he's 14. I'd be more interested in whether Sexton or HP gets the goalkicking duties, but I'd be pretty certain HP will get first dibs on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I see Paddy Power are laying Richie Gray to start. Thought I read somewhere his injury would keep him out of the tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Watching the Lions 2nd test in 2009 again... It's crazy how many Irish were in it, and how good they were in it too (well, nearly all of them). But Kearney was just so good.. I mean, they could use that video to teach youngsters how to play FB. Absolute master class. I really hope he travels, and I hope he pulls that form out of the bag perhaps in one of the club games leading up to the tests, because on his day he's just too good.

Ofcourse, as it stands I'd defo have 1/2penny and Hogg on the team ahead of him. Hogg at the moment is the perfect 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

.ak wrote: »
    Watching the Lions 2nd test in 2009 again... It's crazy how many Irish were in it, and how good they were in it too (well, nearly all of them). But Kearney was just so good.. I mean, they could use that video to teach youngsters how to play FB. Absolute master class. I really hope he travels, and I hope he pulls that form out of the bag perhaps in one of the club games leading up to the tests, because on his day he's just too good.

Ofcourse, as it stands I'd defo have 1/2penny and Hogg on the team ahead of him. Hogg at the moment is the perfect 23.
    Yea i watched the video last night myself. Kearney, Roberts and O'Driscoll where simply brillant.

Fitz and Bowe were absolute live wires too. Have to say Bowe was probably the paciest I've seen him, such a different player now. He was popping up all over the place and was taking everything the Boks could throw at him. Pity the two of them will probably miss out this year, well Fitz will defo.

It is a pity. The likes of Ferris as well will miss out. I'd love to see Ferris pick up Genia and go for a run again.

• Advertisement

Is there any chance Fez will be back at all? Or is he out til the preseason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Does Madigan remind anyone of a certain Keith Earls in 2009, he came from nowhere and was a rank outsider

Btw, just for a giggle, what do people think of the 2nd test 2009 team vs a possible 2013 test team (basing the possible test team on the average amount of pundits selections)?

British and Irish Lions 2009
    15 Rob Kearney
    14 Tommy Bowe
    13 Brian O'Driscoll
    12 Jamie Roberts
    11 Luke Fitzgerald
    10 Stephen Jones
    9 Mike Phillips
    1 Gethin Jenkins
    2 Matthew Rees
    3 Adam Jones
    4 Simon Shaw
    5 Paul O'Connell (c)
    6 Tom Croft
    7 David Wallace
    8 Jamie Heaslip
    Substitutes:
    16 Ross Ford
    17 Andrew Sheridan
    18 Alun Wyn Jones
    19 Martyn Williams
    20 Harry Ellis
    21 Ronan O'Gara
    22 Shane Williams

British and Irish Lions 2013 [POSSIBLE]
    15 Leigh Halfpenny
    14 Alex Cuthbert
    13 Brian O'Driscoll (c)
    12 Manu Tuilagi
    11 George North
    10 Jonathon Sexton
    9 Mike Phillips
    1 Cian Healy
    2 Tom Youngs
    3 Adam Jones
    4 Alun Wyn Jones
    5 Geoff Parling
    6 Sean O'Brien
    7 Justin Tipuric
    8 Johnnie Beatie
    Substitutes:
    16 Rory Best
    17 Gethin Jenkins
    18 Dan Cole
    19 Paul O'Connell
    20 Sam Warburton
    21 Ben Youngs
    22 Owen Farrell
    23 Stuart Hogg

I'm not to sure myself. Thought I heard people saying he was going to be out and not make it back before the end of the season. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Watched the second test again, Wally was good as well

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

That second test was as good a game of rugby you will see . All the Irish lads who started played brilliant. Kearney showed a masterclass at 15 - To be honest knowing what he can do, Gatland may find it difficult to leave him out .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Swiwi wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, I'm just trying to temper the expectations a tad! We haven't seen Madigan at 10 under the blowtorch of a fully-fledged international. It's one thing to look a million dollars in a rabo match v Glasgow, it's another to do it for the Lions v Australia under a worldwide TV glare. It's a crying shame he wasn't given more of a go by Kidney, but that kind of angle has been done to death!

I don't actually expect to see Madigan come even close to touring.

I would dearly love to see him with some big, pacy Welsh backs outside him though - would be a nightmare for the defence. His ship sailed when he wasn't given a chance by Kidney though.

If Madigan had started a few games in the six nations, as he should have, he would have a real chance of touring I reckon.

I mean, if you take goalkicking out of the equation (and even at that Madigan is a very good goalkicker) he's probably a better player than Owen Farrell, certainly in terms of attacking ability anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If Madigan had started a few games in the six nations, as he should have, he would have a real chance of touring I reckon.

I suggested it at the start of the season entirely seriously on the proviso that he got a few Ireland caps. I think Gatland would really like him as a player and he'd allow you to play a less creative 12 (which seems to be all we'll have going) because its so important to cover him in defence. It's just not gonna happen at this point though, which is a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

just watced the first half of the second game versus SA.

Kearney was immense, Luke was brillant aswell.

BOD showed some real class touches aswell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement