Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

trouttrout wrote: »
    If Madigan had started a few games in the six nations, as he should have, he would have a real chance of touring I reckon.

I mean, if you take goalkicking out of the equation (and even at that Madigan is a very good goalkicker) he's probably a better player than Owen Farrell, certainly in terms of attacking ability anyway

And, that's certainly available with oul 1/2p playing as he has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I suggested it at the start of the season entirely seriously on the proviso that he got a few Ireland caps. I think Gatland would really like him as a player and he'd allow you to play a less creative 12 (which seems to be all we'll have going) because its so important to cover him in defence. It's just not gonna happen at this point though, which is a shame.

Not so sure of that. Gatland's fly-halves have often kicked the ball to bits; I get the impression Madigan would run everything outside of his 22 (and some in...) if he didn't think his coach would throttle him. Not a marriage made in heaven. Mindyou, he does like his fly-halves to be able to have a cut as well, so I may be wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not so sure of that. Gatland's fly-halves have often kicked the ball to bits; I get the impression Madigan would run everything outside of his 22 (and some in...) if he didn't think his coach would throttle him. Not a marriage made in heaven. Mindyou, he does like his fly-halves to be able to have a cut as well, so I may be wrong.

I dunno, I see your point but the only flyhalves really available to Gatland are Priestland and Biggar. Priestland is a bit **** and Biggar is very much a kicking fly half. I'm not sure he has massive faith in either. The Welsh backline is wasted outside both really.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

IIRC some posters here mentioned Eli Walker as a possible bolter, however he's definitely unavailable: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_8601579,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Madigan is obviously not going to tour but he'd be some craic for the midweek games. Nice fast pitches, attack from everywhere, would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

IIRC some posters here mentioned Eli Walker as a possible bolter, however he's definitely unavailable: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_8601579,00.html

Ah that's a real pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

.ak wrote: »
    Ah that's a real pity.

Not for the Lions , he would most likely make no real impact. Perhaps looking at Eli Walker as a bolter is the same as an English person looking at Madigan as a bolter ? The chances of Madigan travelling are slim, needs an injury to Farrell , Biggar or Sexton to stay unfit to have a reasonable chance of touring

You're assuming that all these players are gonna play all the club games as well. They won't, that'd be madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He definitely won't take more than 3 10s.

I think he might take 2 10s, 2 9s and Greg Laidlaw myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

He definitely won't take more than 3 10s.

I think he might take 2 10s, 2 9s and Greg Laidlaw myself.

Big fan of taking Greig Laidlaw myself for his versatility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭twinytwo

.ak wrote: »
    Watching the Lions 2nd test in 2009 again... It's crazy how many Irish were in it, and how good they were in it too (well, nearly all of them). But Kearney was just so good.. I mean, they could use that video to teach youngsters how to play FB. Absolute master class. I really hope he travels, and I hope he pulls that form out of the bag perhaps in one of the club games leading up to the tests, because on his day he's just too good.

Ofcourse, as it stands I'd defo have 1/2penny and Hogg on the team ahead of him. Hogg at the moment is the perfect 23.

TBF they played right into Kearneys hands, kick him the ball and he will catch them all day.

That lions team was superb though, had it not been for the dodgey calls on match day selection and injuries the lions would have walked that tour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

1. Vunipola
    2. Best
    3. Cole
    4. Launchbury
    5. Gray
    6. SOB
    7. Robshaw
    8. Heaslip
    9. Care
    10. Sexton
    11. Zebo
    12. Tuilagi
    13. BOD(capt.)
    14. North
    15. Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

1. Vunipola
    2. Best
    3. Cole
    4. Launchbury
    5. Gray
    6. SOB
    7. Robshaw
    8. Heaslip
    9. Care
    10. Sexton
    11. Zebo
    12. Tuilagi
    13. BOD(capt.)
    14. North
    15. Kearney

Ha ha he's havin' a giraffe...one Welsh player? Must have been filmed after the Wales Ireland game this year. Preposterous.

Including Gray and Zebo too, I'd agree with the assessment that it was after week 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Ha ha he's havin' a giraffe...one Welsh player? Must have been filmed after the Wales Ireland game this year. Preposterous.
    Including Gray and Zebo too, I'd agree with the assessment that it was after week 1!

It was filmed after week 1, the rugby blog said it on their facebook page.

It was filmed after week 1, the rugby blog said it on their facebook page.

ah my mistake, just seen it retweeted on twitter

I think it's a great team. Wouldn't have Gray myself. Not sure about Vunipola. Rest is really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Quint2010 wrote: »

Ok, so we know it was chosen after week one, but how many Welsh players are actually nailed-on test starters? I'd say Adam Jones and George North, after that, they're all in pretty tight competition for their spots so who knows how it will go?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Ok, so we know it was chosen after week one, but how many Welsh players are actually nailed-on test starters? I'd say Adam Jones and George North, after that, they're all in pretty tight competition for their spots so who knows how it will go?

I would say 1/2p, Philips, AWJ are nailed on test starters also with Warburton, Hibbard and Cuthburt not far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Leigh Halfpenny as well.

They are the only three nailed on starters IMO.

After that someone like Sexton has a pretty strong grip on his position but his injury just allows for a modicum of doubt I think. Other than that it's completely wide open IMO.

• Advertisement

Jones, North are certs to start imo.
    Wyn-Jones, Hibbard, Jenkins, Tipuric, Phillips, Halfpenny, Faletau, Warburton and Cuthburt are probably certs to be in the squad.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Kearney was a long way off being a starter at the beginning of the 6 nations and he has only dropped back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Sorry but I have to say this but this place and (without checking it) probably Leinsterfans are about the only two MBs on the planet that has two or more posters that doesn't have Halfpenny down as a nailed on starter. Kearney has an enormous amount of ground to make up there, and even if he did Halfpenny would still be picked on the wing.

Kearney was a long way off being a starter at the beginning of the 6 nations and he has only dropped back.

I think he was favourite to start actually before the 6N started. It didn't do him any favours tho. Still, reckon he'll tour, and have a chance to impress in the smaller games first.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

bilston wrote: »
    Sorry but I have to say this but this place and (without checking it) probably Leinsterfans are about the only two MBs on the planet that has two or more posters that doesn't have Halfpenny down as a nailed on starter. Kearney has an enormous amount of ground to make up there, and even if he did Halfpenny would still be picked on the wing.

Leinster fan and I think Halfpenny is ahead of Kearney who will probably go on reputation rather than form!

Ah to be fair I think everyone here has Halfpenny nailed down as starter, same on LF. He's had an amazing season, nobody is close to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Thekidneybean

Leinster fan here, but i think Halfpenny and Hogg are ahead of kearney

I don't think Jones is a nailed on starter at all. Cole does so much around the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Cole's scrummaging at international level has been pretty awful lately though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Presume that's directed at me, but I think Stuart Hogg should travel and will give Halfpenny a good run for the jersey.

Kearney is in third place and will need to show up very well in the Amlin and Rabo knock outs to make the plane, he does have an advantage in that Hogg has no European platform to show himself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement