Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

bilston wrote: »
    Sorry but I have to say this but this place and (without checking it) probably Leinsterfans are about the only two MBs on the planet that has two or more posters that doesn't have Halfpenny down as a nailed on starter. Kearney has an enormous amount of ground to make up there, and even if he did Halfpenny would still be picked on the wing.

Yeah but BBC were really buying into the whole Hogg hype during the 6N. Hogg is clearly his nearest challenger but I'd say a majority of pundits when asked said they would pick Hogg at 15. OK maybe they would have Halfpenny on the wing or maybe they changed their opinion after the England game, but I just don't understand how you wouldn't pick Halfpenny at FB unless Hogg is absolutely electric in the warm-up games. He's a good player but some of the hype has gone way OTT, I'd have Halfpenny at 15 all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Presume that's directed at me, but I think Stuart Hogg should travel and will give Halfpenny a good run for the jersey.

Kearney is in third place and will need to show up very well in the Amlin and Rabo knock outs to make the plane, he does have an advantage in that Hogg has no European platform to show himself.

Not just you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Careful Now

Paddy Wallace got to be considered as a bolter if can stave off injury. Got lot of experience and versatile. Can cover 10,12,13 and 15 at a stretch. Majestic distribution, good kicker and solid reader of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭badbeatcentral

Paddy Wallace got to be considered as a bolter if can stave off injury. Got lot of experience and versatile. Can cover 10,12,13 and 15 at a stretch. Majestic distribution, good kicker and solid reader of the game.

Absolutely, He can also free up the backrow to make more carries due to his proficiency at the breakdown. Definite bolter.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

No way. Grossly overrated and overpicked by Kidney and EO'S before him, not getting anywhere near the Lions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He did a cruciate ligament recently enough, I think he'll be back in september at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

No way. Grossly overrated and overpicked by Kidney and EO'S before him, not getting anywhere near the Lions.

Ah now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Now while Wallace doesn't deserve to be near the Lions. He certainly isn't overrated, quiet the opposite really

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭badbeatcentral

Even if he's pipped at the post for a squad spot, he should still travel with the team. His international experience would be invaluable to the tour for his whiteboard sessions alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I suspect there's a bit of muppetry going on here but I'll respond anyway. Paddy Wallace's knee is buggered. He'll be doing well to play again given he's 34 in August. While I think quite the opposite to Gordon Gecko in that I think he was under used, I think even if he was fit he's long past the stage where he could be considered a potential Lions bolter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Even if he's pipped at the post for a squad spot, he should still travel with the team. His international experience would be invaluable to the tour for his whiteboard sessions alone.

Are you actually talking about Paddy Wallace? "Pipped at the post"? He isn't in contention for a spot, he hasn't played an international this year, hasn't played 80 mins for Ulster since January and wasn't exactly showing international form in the 15 games he's played this year, let alone form that gets one picked for the Lions.

Travel with the team? He's never even been picked for a Lions tour. International experience? A whole 30 caps? Hardly the kind of experience the Lions will be lacking to the extent that they'd need to take him along.

Whiteboard sessions? He's not a master strategist who's going to be able to tell players (all better than him I might add) how to break down the Aussie defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Are you actually talking about Paddy Wallace? "Pipped at the post"? He isn't in contention for a spot, he hasn't played an international this year, hasn't played 80 mins for Ulster since January and wasn't exactly showing international form in the 15 games he's played this year, let alone form that gets one picked for the Lions.

Travel with the team? He's never even been picked for a Lions tour. International experience? A whole 30 caps? Hardly the kind of experience the Lions will be lacking to the extent that they'd need to take him along.

Whiteboard sessions? He's not a master strategist who's going to be able to tell players (all better than him I might add) how to break down the Aussie defence.

Whooooosh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Can anyone confirm the size of the (playing) touring party ?.
    Have heard 37 mentioned which seems like a adequate number.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

For Paws wrote: »

No one will know until Gatland picks it though 37, which was the amount that went on the last tour, would seem about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

With Beale out for the foreseeable future, it throws into doubt his participation in the Lions series. If he is not involved, I wonder who will play at 15 instead. O'Connor is a possibility but I think Deans will rather have him on the wing up against George North. Ashley Cooper is another possibility but he is better in the centre, the same goes for McCabe. Berrick Barnes would be a solid option, but am unsure of his fitness. Mike Harris has been in and around the Australian side for a while, so he is a contender. Jesse Mogg is in good form so he definitely would be a strong contender. A few others will also be in contention.

Will be a shame if Beale is not involved, but at the moment it is not looking likely. I predict Mogg will be the starting 15 if he can keep his form up.

A fit Barnes would have to be my choice at 15, even if Movember is officially over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    With Beale out for the foreseeable future, it throws into doubt his participation in the Lions series. If he is not involved, I wonder who will play at 15 instead. O'Connor is a possibility but I think Deans will rather have him on the wing up against George North. Ashley Cooper is another possibility but he is better in the centre, the same goes for McCabe. Berrick Barnes would be a solid option, but am unsure of his fitness. Mike Harris has been in and around the Australian side for a while, so he is a contender. Jesse Mogg is in good form so he definitely would be a strong contender. A few others will also be in contention.

Will be a shame if Beale is not involved, but at the moment it is not looking likely. I predict Mogg will be the starting 15 if he can keep his form up.

Mogg for me but he's uncapped otherwise Barnes. Imagine if the opposing FBs were Mogg & Hogg...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Kiwi_knock wrote: »

The way Beale was playing especially as he was mainly at 10 I don't think he had much chance for the 15 shirt. Ashley-Cooper seems to be Deans' go to guy when there's an injury there and hasn't played too much centre recently.

Otherwise I'd say Harris or Mogg. If I was a neutral I'd want to see Mogg.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Gatand has said he was looking at 2 of every position, an extra prop, hooker scrumhalf and outhalf which would mean a touring part of 34 which is very tight imo.

Personally I'd want at least extra prop on each side (btw is there any confirmation on whether the Lions is going to be using 22 or 23 man squads?

Just had a look at the Lions website.

Willie John McBride played 70 times for the Lions (69 as a starter)

To put that in context Gareth Edwards played 38 (37 as a starter).

Legend.

• Advertisement

Gatand has said he was looking at 2 of every position, an extra prop, hooker scrumhalf and outhalf which would mean a touring part of 34 which is very tight imo.

Personally I'd want at least extra prop on each side (btw is there any confirmation on whether the Lions is going to be using 22 or 23 man squads?

37 would have to include 6 props, 6 centres & 3 '9s'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The way Beale was playing especially as he was mainly at 10 I don't think he had much chance for the 15 shirt. Ashley-Cooper seems to be Deans' go to guy when there's an injury there and hasn't played too much centre recently.

Otherwise I'd say Harris or Mogg. If I was a neutral I'd want to see Mogg.

I hope Ashley-Cooper is played in the centre, Australia need his creativity in there.

Imagine a centre partnership of McCabe and Fainga'a going up against Roberts and Tuilagi; would be great for the neutrals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Cummings on wing and JOC to full back would be my first thought if Beale is out

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just had a look at the Lions website.

Willie John McBride played 70 times for the Lions (69 as a starter)

To put that in context Gareth Edwards played 38 (37 as a starter).

Legend.

How often did they tour in those days? Did they play ten warmup games before the tests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

How often did they tour in those days? Did they play ten warmup games before the tests?

I think they toured every three years back then and on the 1971 tour for example to NZ they played over 25 games.

25 games :eek:
    I think every three years would be better currently even with fewer games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

25 games :eek:
    I think every three years would be better currently even with fewer games.

The thing is if you go every three years there will inevitably be a conflict between the Lions and RWC, there'd be years when they both fell.

danthefan wrote: »
    The thing is if you go every three years there will inevitably be a conflict between the Lions and RWC, there'd be years when they both fell.

They're a few months apart though, they'd replace the June Internationals if anything but would probably take away from the hype of the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Cummings on wing and JOC to full back would be my first thought if Beale is out

Surely Mitchell in to the wing no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

They're a few months apart though, they'd replace the June Internationals if anything but would probably take away from the hype of the WC.
    There is no June internationals during world cup years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement