Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If Argentina eventually come onto the Lions roster we'd not be travelling to each country for 16 years. It's already mad that it's every 12 years! The Lions won't be back in Australia until 2025!

Sort of related but a bit off topic but why are World Cups four years apart?

It's the same in Rugby Union, Cricket and Football, not sure about RL. Who decided four years and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭twinytwo

bilston wrote: »
    If Argentina eventually come onto the Lions roster we'd not be travelling to each country for 16 years. It's already mad that it's every 12 years! The Lions won't be back in Australia until 2025!

It's the same in Rugby Union, Cricket and Football, not sure about RL. Who decided four years and why?

Because world cups take a lot of time to organsise... build infrastructure etc... qualifiers must be played. Also players need breaks... plus if it was less than 4 years it would devalue the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't know, but it would be overkill if the World Cup was more frequent than every four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

It probably comes from the ancient Olympics being held every four years. I'd say most sports followed suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Can't say I would be very enthused about a Lions tour of Argentina

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

P.Walnuts wrote: »

Yeah, not the most exciting prospect.

But how about an Annual 6 Nations Champions vs Tri-Nations Champions match ?

Or a European XV vs a Southern Hemisphere XV ?

All to be best of 3 (or aggregate points) matches.

Then keep Lions tours to every 4 years & World Cups to every 4 years.

Also would prefer to see an All European League with Top 4 qualifying for European Cup knockout home & away quarter finals, semis & final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

For Paws wrote: »
    Yeah, not the most exciting prospect.

But how about an Annual 6 Nations Champions vs Tri-Nations Champions match ?

Or a European XV vs a Southern Hemisphere XV ?

All to be best of 3 (or aggregate points) matches.

Then keep Lions tours to every 4 years & World Cups to every 4 years.

Also would prefer to see an All European League with Top 4 qualifying for European Cup knockout home & away quarter finals, semis & final.

I think we are at the limit of games - unless we get bigger, better squads....

Latest Toulon lineup shows no Gethin Jenkins, not even on the bench. He was in the extended squad so no word of an injury.

Will Gatland take a player who is undercooked?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Latest Toulon lineup shows no Gethin Jenkins, not even on the bench. He was in the extended squad so no word of an injury.

Will Gatland take a player who is undercooked?

Played 60 mins last week. Rotation?

its_phil wrote: »
    Played 60 mins last week. Rotation?

possibly

We'll see if he features against Leicester next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Who else is there apart from Jenkins to travel as a loosehead with Healy. Vunipola?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Who else is there apart from Jenkins to travel as a loosehead with Healy. Vunipola?

Ye thats about it really...Marler is very very average, Paul James is decent mind, but hasn't gotten much of a look in due to Jenkins. Probably on merit deserved to start more games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Kiwi_knock wrote: »

How about the player who is ahead of Jenkins at Toulon, Andrew Sheridan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Doesn't the play off games in the French Championship coincide with the one of the Lions warmup games so guys like Jenkins, Sheridan, Hines, Barclay who are with sides in contention will be possibly unavailable? Philips probably won't have that worry with Bayonne. In the '09 tour Nathan Hines left his club side in the lurch and left them early to tour with the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

P.Walnuts wrote: »

You've got to be kidding mel!! Freakin' amazing country with an absolutely unique rugby culture. I had the great fortune to travel there a decade ago and I can assure you, it would be the rugby trip of a lifetime, and it would also be (relatively) cheap. Superb weather, fabulous culture, beautiful beer, the best steak you've ever eaten and I won't even start on the women....I'd be the first on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

yimrsg wrote: »
    Doesn't the play off games in the French Championship coincide with the one of the Lions warmup games so guys like Jenkins, Sheridan, Hines, Barclay who are with sides in contention will be possibly unavailable? Philips probably won't have that worry with Bayonne. In the '09 tour Nathan Hines left his club side in the lurch and left them early to tour with the Lions.
    not so much one of the warmups, rather the flight to Oz. Gatland has said he wouldn't pick anyone that couldn't get on the plane with the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

toomevara wrote: »
    You've got to be kidding mel!! Freakin' amazing country with an absolutely unique rugby culture. I had the great fortune to travel there a decade ago and I can assure you, it would be the rugby trip of a lifetime, and it would also be (relatively) cheap. Superb weather, fabulous culture, beautiful beer, the best steak you've ever eaten and I won't even start on the women....I'd be the first on the plane.

Would be horrendous in terms of the rugby compared to one of SANZAR.

If they were up for an away game we could host them in the Falklands though :)

Would be horrendous in terms of the rugby compared to one of SANZAR.

If they were up for an away game we could host them in Las Malvinas though :)

FYP :p

Don't agree, think the tests would be huge and utterly ferocious with an insane argentinian crowd baying for blood. and the dirt trackers would no doubt be given a rude awakening at some of the bear pits dotted round the country..e.g. Cordoba...Definitely worth a punt.

toomevara wrote: »
    FYP :p

Don't agree, think the tests would be huge and utterly ferocious with an insane argentinian crowd baying for blood. and the dirt trackers would no doubt be given a rude awakening at some of the bear pits dotted round the country..e.g. Cordoba...Definitely worth a punt.
    To be honest I don't think there would be competition for the mid week tests. Maybe when professional rugby gets started domestically in argentina but until then I don't think it would work.

To be honest I don't think there would be competition for the mid week tests. Maybe when professional rugby gets started domestically in argentina but until then I don't think it would work.

Yeah, actually yourself and gordon are probably right come to think of it. Probably got carried away with the romance of it..ah well, maybe some time in the future...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Wade scores a try against Saracens. Big candidate for Bolter.

matthew8 wrote: »

I've never seen him play, looking forward to watching him against Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I've never seen him play, looking forward to watching him against Leinster.

Only have seen him rarely, first time was a pre-season game the season Schmidt took over, Wade and Simpson completely tore Leinster to shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

matthew8 wrote: »

Been doing it the last two years in the Premiership, a definite candidate to make the plane.
    Also worth noting , Tom Croft putting in a big performance against Northampton Saints at the moment, i fancy him to start the first test at 6

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'll buy everyone on this thread a pint if Wade goes on the Lions tour.

Buer wrote: »
    I'll buy everyone on this thread a pint if Wade goes on the Lions tour.

Be warned, a lot of people will bookmark this post! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Youngs having a nightmare in this game. So inconsistent which is very worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Be warned, a lot of people will bookmark this post! :D

Only everyone who has posted on the thread before my post! But I'm 99.99% he doesn't have a hope. He's lighting quick and a try scorer. But he is vulnerable defensively and has no kicking game. Gatland isn't going to bring someone who has never played higher than AP or Challenge Cup. It would be the biggest turn up in a long, long time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

If anything Gatland is far more liable to do to the unexpected then the perceived move

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Only everyone who has posted on the thread before my post! But I'm 99.99% he doesn't have a hope. He's lighting quick and a try scorer. But he is vulnerable defensively and has no kicking game. Gatland isn't going to bring someone who has never played higher than AP or Challenge Cup. It would be the biggest turn up in a long, long time.
    I'm guessing 160 people posted in this thread before your post.

Still I doubt he will travel so you are probably safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement