Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I'm guessing 160 people posted in this thread before your post.

Still I doubt he will travel so you are probably safe.

If he does go, are you subliminaly ordering a Carlsberg?...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

trouttrout wrote: »
    Youngs having a nightmare in this game. So inconsistent which is very worrying

Agree with you right here , not playing well at all. His brother Tom wasnt having a great game either . Croft and Parling are just outstanding in the lineout , Croft in the loose is like another back .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Croft had an absolute stormer. Tulagi will get the plaudits but the reality is that and decent 12 would have made that tackle for his second try when he had numbers outside him

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Nobody should begrudge croft a place if he keeps playing like this...considering the extent of his neck injury last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

toomevara wrote: »
    You've got to be kidding mel!! Freakin' amazing country with an absolutely unique rugby culture. I had the great fortune to travel there a decade ago and I can assure you, it would be the rugby trip of a lifetime, and it would also be (relatively) cheap. Superb weather, fabulous culture, beautiful beer, the best steak you've ever eaten and I won't even start on the women....I'd be the first on the plane.

Sounds like a multitude of reasons to have a RWC in Argentina (not at the expense of the Irish bid of course ;) )

However, the beauty of a Lions tour is that it's the motherlands vs the colonials, whereas the only possible link between the Lions & Argentina is the Falklands war, and that's really just an Anglo-Argentine problem.

Also, from a purely selfish point of view, I already have to wait 12 years to see the ABs v the Lions, and if you increase that to 16, I just wouldn't cope :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They could play a warm-up game in Y Wladfa

Argentina is the home of the fifth largest Irish community in the world, quite a bit bigger than the one in NZ.

The Scots in Argentina bear such wonderful names as Alejandro Anderson and Carlos McAllister. :D

They could play a warm-up game in Y Wladfa

Argentina is the home of the fifth largest Irish community in the world, quite a bit bigger than the one in NZ.

The Scots in Argentina bear such wonderful names as Alejandro Anderson and Carlos McAllister. :D

Touché, pickarooney, touché.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Swiwi wrote: »
    Touché, pickarooney, touché.
    ..and there is a large Welsh speaking community in Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

However, the beauty of a Lions tour is that it's the motherlands vs the colonials, whereas the only possible link between the Lions & Argentina is the Falklands war, and that's really just an Anglo-Argentine problem.

The Lions have a tradition in Argentina and toured there three times in the early days but ceased to do so after 1937 until their one off game in 2005. It's one that would be great to resurrect but shouldn't be done until the next few tours are out of the way and the domestic game can develop. Midweek matches would be a bit of a farce between professionals and amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

toomevara wrote: »
    You've got to be kidding mel!! Freakin' amazing country with an absolutely unique rugby culture. I had the great fortune to travel there a decade ago and I can assure you, it would be the rugby trip of a lifetime, and it would also be (relatively) cheap. Superb weather, fabulous culture, beautiful beer, the best steak you've ever eaten and I won't even start on the women....I'd be the first on the plane.

We are talking about a rugby tour here not a holiday, i'm sure its a beautiful country and don't doubt anything you said....but the rugby wouldn't really interest me that much.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,810 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So I just did my picks on the windows app for this, according to it the most popular team pick is:

Halfpenny
    Bowe
    O'Driscoll
    Davies
    North
    Sexton
    Phillips

Cole
    Best
    Healy
    Gray
    Jones
    Robshaw
    Croft
    Warburton

A bit nuts in parts, though it doesn't seem to distinguish between positions properly (i.e. LH and TH is just down as prop)

My team:

Halfpenny
    Cuthbert
    O'Driscoll
    Roberts
    North
    Sexton
    Phillips

Jenkins
    Best
    Jones
    Hamilton
    Launchbury
    Robshaw
    Warburton
    O'Brien

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

awec wrote: »

My team:

Halfpenny
    Cuthbert
    O'Driscoll
    Roberts
    North
    Sexton
    Phillips

Jenkins
    Best
    Jones
    Hamilton
    Launchbury
    Robshaw
    Warburton
    O'Brien

I agree on your Backs. Would make a few changes.

Healy for Jenkins
    AW Jones for Launchbury
    Gotta have Tipuric in there aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Gatland can only be impressed with Wade

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Blackheath wrote: »

How he stood Kearney up and took him on he outside was a joy to watch.......great for Wade, not for Kearney!!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Blackheath wrote: »

Great to come off the bench to close out an open game....not sure he'd be my first choice in a dog fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Could you imagine a back three of Wade, Zebo and Hogg? :eek:

"So I said, add more points to the scoreboard, and they sez 'there are no more points...'"

.ak wrote: »
    Could you imagine a back three of Wade, Zebo and Hogg? :eek:

"So I said, add more points to the scoreboard, and they sez 'there are no more points...'"

Having watched a bit of the SXV now, I'd say the Wallabies will have a backline to match the Lions. Israel Folau is rapidly finding his feet in Union. For Robbie Deans, I reckon the series (?coaching) defining selection is his choice of 10. I wouldn't go with Cooper, but then you are probably looking at choosing an uncapped player at 10, unless you go with the makeshift Beale, O'Connor or steady Barnes.

Don't see the Lions forwards completely running all over the WBs either.

It promises to be a close series, which is exactly what I want to see - not a comfortable 3-0 win for either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Having watched a bit of the SXV now, I'd say the Wallabies will have a backline to match the Lions. Israel Folau is rapidly finding his feet in Union. For Robbie Deans, I reckon the series (?coaching) defining selection is his choice of 10. I wouldn't go with Cooper, but then you are probably looking at choosing an uncapped player at 10, unless you go with the makeshift Beale, O'Connor or steady Barnes.

Don't see the Lions forwards completely running all over the WBs either.

It promises to be a close series, which is exactly what I want to see - not a comfortable 3-0 win for either side.

Oz could have a much better backline than the Lions, it'll all come down to where JOC plays, i'd have him 12 myself! With cooper 10, Beale 15, Folau and Ioane on the wings with ACC at 13, and Genia 9, fup thats serious!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Why don't the Lions play a proper warm up game against a country. They played Argentina in London in 2005. Wouldn't it be great if they always started off their tour by playing a game or two at in Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh, or London.

They could play Italy, Argentina, Samoa, or France. A Barbarians game is a bit of a joke IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

France in Stade de France would be a great game. A stopover in Paris before going on tour proper would be very popular with fans too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd prefer it if the Lions didn't play any warm up game. The first game in the host country is the first warm up game.

The Lions are meant to be a serious team who want to win a test series, playing the Baa Baas in Hong Kong doesn't fit in with this ethos. It also messes up the tour schedule as the tour party will be fragmented straight away with half the squad going straight on to Perth while the other half plays in HK.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Not many players impressing during the games in Europe so far . Not much to talk about in the Amlin apart from Madigan and Wade. Both will need a big three weeks to have any chance of getting on the plane . Saracens make it hard for any of their players to stand out , Ashton with the try will give him a good chance of touring , Farrells solid kicking another reminder for Gatland. Best is doing everything he can to get off the plane at this stage. Henderson with a good performance at 6 but no real chance of touring . Good cameo from Bowe who may travel due to the fact he can play center and has done it before on a Lions tour .

Overall : Up the pecking order - Wade , Ashton , Madigan ,
    Down - Best , Marshall , Goode

Luke Marshall? He had a decent game today, no worse than those around him tbh. I think you can add Kearney to the down list. His tackling was terrible. He'll need to have a MoTM performance on the 27th, because that's when they're picking the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Game over for Kearney I think, which might not be such a bad thing, give him a proper pre-season to get himself right. Hasn't been the same at all since coming back from injury (which was only earlier this year in fairness)

TBH ofcourse it's a bad thing. The Lions means a huge amount to players, and to play yourself out of a spot is massive disappointment. I want to see as many Irish represent the Lions as well. Feck the rest, he'll be rested plenty in the summer and early season by the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

.ak wrote: »
    TBH ofcourse it's a bad thing. The Lions means a huge amount to players, and to play yourself out of a spot is massive disappointment. I want to see as many Irish represent the Lions as well. Feck the rest, he'll be rested plenty in the summer and early season by the IRFU.

Yeah I'm sure he'll be gutted if he misses out but from the outside I think it might be good in the long-term. Fitzgerald found some good form with Leinster after missing out on the World Cup squad. Also look at it from the angle that he has already been with the Lions, and although he'll obviously be very disappointed, he isn't like SOB/Best/Sexton who have never been on tour. Won't be much consolation for him but it could be worse.

Yeah, the Fitz situation is a good one to reference, however I still would've preferred Fitzy to find form and go to the RWC than having an amazing season for Leinster. The same applies for me with Kearney and this tour. They're only once every 4 years, and regardless of age they're golden opportunities in a players career.

Having said all of that, I think you're right, it's game over for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Kearney shouldn't tour because of his defence while Hogg should? Are we just going to forget his woeful attempt on Fofana? Or his multiple failed attempts at gathering high balls?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Hogg offers more in attack on the basis of this season. Anyway it is doubtful that the backup fullback will get any gametime, Halfpenny is pretty more a guaranteed starter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Coburger wrote: »
    Why don't the Lions play a proper warm up game against a country. They played Argentina in London in 2005. Wouldn't it be great if they always started off their tour by playing a game or two at in Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh, or London.

They could play Italy, Argentina, Samoa, or France. A Barbarians game is a bit of a joke IMHO.

They could get beaten out the door before they even leave. The team will only just have been put together and started playing together the week before. The Barbarians will be in the same boat as throwing a random team together

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement