Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Well 1 or 2 more games like that and I think il be seeing paully over here come June

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

nerd69 wrote: »
    Well 1 or 2 more games like that and I think il be seeing paully over here come June

He's done enough with that alone I think, he just has to stay fit

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Huge game for POC. Him or BOD have to be captain . Im sorry but Warburton, Robshow or anyone else lacks the presence of those two men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

POC now 15/8 to be captain

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Be a travesty of POM doesnt go, was superb today. POC as skipper after inspiring that performance. Tom Croft off injured again, think he'll go and could be at POM's expense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Rog a bolter for Lions tour after today.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Rog a bolter for Lions tour after today.

Not too sure what to think about ROG making the Lions. If Sexton isnt fit then Wilkinson will go. It would be either ROG or Wilkinson and id favour the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I'd bring at 10:

1. Sexton
    2. Farrell
    3. Biggar

4. Madigan
    5. Wilkinson

I'd be as happy with one of Madigan, Biggar or Wilkinson going.

its_phil wrote: »
    I'd bring at 10:

1. Sexton
    2. Farrell
    3. Biggar

4. Madigan
    5. Wilkinson

I'd be as happy with one of Madigan, Biggar or Wilkinson going.

Fair enough there. ROG has no real chance of going, he would make no impact whatsoever .

Interestingly enough Madigan might get a look in as third choice - Gatland said he views the Amlin has a massive competition and he will take a close look at the players in it . Gives a chance to Madigan, Kearney, SOB, Heaslip ,Healy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Healy doesn't need the Amlin should be a guaranteed tourer and probable starter.

• Advertisement

Fair enough there. ROG has no real chance of going, he would make no impact whatsoever .

Interestingly enough Madigan might get a look in as third choice - Gatland said he views the Amlin has a massive competition and he will take a close look at the players in it . Gives a chance to Madigan, Kearney, SOB, Heaslip ,Healy

I had the thought after the Leinster game that if Leinster had not of won the likes of Heaslip and Kearney, who need to play their way on to the plane, would have hurt their chances significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Croft has played himself onto the plane in 40 min. Hope the injury isn't serious.

What do people think about Robshaw?

Personally while I think he's very good when in form I just think there's better players ahead of him

Healy doesn't need the Amlin should be a guaranteed tourer and probable starter.

I don't know why but the starter thing annoys me. When you get on the plane it is every man for himself with just as even a shot IMO. If you don't show form in the warm ups, I find it difficult to believe you should get a test place.

If you go down the Clive Woodward road of 2005 and pick your test XV on reputation before you get on the plane your getting a whitewash.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

O'Connell was immense today, his leadership qualities brought Munster through today, Lions captain material without a doubt

trouttrout wrote: »
    What do people think about Robshaw?

Personally while I think he's very good when in form I just think there's better players ahead of him

Im tempted to scroll back and find the poster who abused me for saying Robshaw is average. He is an average captain, iv always said that he doesnt instill any great performances from his team ( bar the New Zealand game ) . Id be surprised if he makes the plane to be honest . The backrow simply doesnt need Robshaw

Robshaw could conceivably not travel after the past month......has been missing in 3 big games now, huge competition for the back row....i don't think he would be missed to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

I don't know why but the starter thing annoys me. When you get on the plane it is every man for himself with just as even a shot IMO. If you don't show form in the warm ups, I find it difficult to believe you should get a test place.

If you go down the Clive Woodward road of 2005 and pick your test XV on reputation before you get on the plane your getting a whitewash.

Thats why I said probable ;) at the moment I think he's the most likely but that could change in Australia.

Thats why I said probable ;) at the moment I think he's the most likely but that could change in Australia.

I know. Just a pet hate more than anything else

I think Murray is really making a strong case for himself.

Youngs, Murray, Phillips could be the ticket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Someone said POM...I really can't see him going. I'm a huge fan, one of my favourite players, and he's the kind of player who will almost certainly perform well if he does get picked. But honestly, he's well down the pecking order atm. If there are injuries, you never know.... I mean Ferris is out who would almost certainly go, and Lydiate mightn't make it either, another strong likelihood.

Never been fully convinced by Robshaw as a captain, but I still think he might go. He's fairly versatile and he's the kind of player who gives everything for the team. Wouldn't be a tour captain, but could be a midweek captain. I'd be surprised if he didn't go tbqh.

Croft...big fan of him, and he offers something different. If he's fit, and plays well for the rest of the season, he could go.

And POC...well all along I said he should go if he's fit. Because I think he's on a different level to the other 2nd rows. And my bias would also lead me to select him as captain, as I think he thrives on that, driving his team on. I get that the injury thing could be a worry...but if he's selected to go, I don't see why he couldn't be captain.

I agree those 3 will travel. Youngs played decent today for Leceister . I just think Murray is an absolute nuisance to play against - I think he will start the first test

Im tempted to scroll back and find the poster who abused me for saying Robshaw is average. He is an average captain, iv always said that he doesnt instill any great performances from his team ( bar the New Zealand game ) . Id be surprised if he makes the plane to be honest . The backrow simply doesnt need Robshaw

I think he is an average captain but an excellent player. His poor calls versus SA and Aus overshadowed his excellent performances. MOTM against Ireland too.

He was poor today, but an excellent player IMO and seems to be suffering a hangover from the Wales game.

I think he is an average captain but an excellent player. His poor calls versus SA and Aus overshadowed his excellent performances. MOTM against Ireland too.

He was poor today, but an excellent player IMO and seems to be suffering a hangover from the Wales game.

Was the Wales performance not a hangover from the Italian game?

If you take NZ out of the equation, he really hasn't done that much.

That was a big match up today between Care and Murray, and Murray definitely won it. Some of Murrays passing today was awesome including the one to POC which he bobbled around. It went through the eye of a needle between two dummy runners. I was very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

probably gonna sound a bit strange saying this but i was out today missed the munster match caught bits on the radio and by all accounts oconnell was immense but surely he wont have enough time at this stage to be in with a shout on the lions??

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Was the Wales performance not a hangover from the Italian game?

If you take NZ out of the equation, he really hasn't done that much.

You can get over a bad performance in a win, but I'd say it is a lot harder to get over losing a grand slam in such a comprehensive fashion.

He had 6 good performances in a row versus Aus, SA, Scotland, Ireland and France. I just don't understand the hasn't done much argument. He isn't the effective ball carrying type. He works very very hard around the pitch and when he is effective England can be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

I'd have to agree with you. Almost impossible to know if someone's a probable starter until we see players perform out there. The Lions is unlike any other stage. Players not previously considered often acclimatise better to the new surroundings, the different atmosphere, the drier, harder ground and ultimately the bigger/more-pressurised challenge. We've seen it time and time again that players lucky to get on the plane or even called up late, can adapt quickly and rise to the challenge, under pressure, quicker than others who had been regarded as probable starters months in advance.

Two Irish players no way certain to make the plane at the moment who I can see thrive down under are Rob Kearney and Ian Madigan.

Kearney: Been under-performing for too long now and lacks a little in attack but one thing that always strikes me about him is that he has real mental strength and belief in himself - a massive requirement for Lions and something not all players have, regardless of talent and form. Kearney has the ability to over-perform come Lions time.

Madigan: With doubts over Sexton and no out-half with real spark behind him in pecking order, I think Gatland may take a risk of him. Again, he strikes me as an ultra-confident fella who would love nothing more than having the pressure of representing the Lions. Quick pitches and ability off the bench will help his chances IMO. Would fully embrace the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

After the 6N and particularly the France match, it would be an extremely harsh call to leave Laidlaw at home. He's the one guy in these islands who can play 9 and 10 comfortably at international level.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    After the 6N and particularly the France match, it would be an extremely harsh call to leave Laidlaw at home. He's the one guy in these islands who can play 9 and 10 comfortably at international level.

I dont think thats enough of a reason for him to go. He is a decent player but he shouldnt travel just becasue he can play 9 and 10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement