Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

I dont think thats enough of a reason for him to go. He is a decent player but he shouldnt travel just becasue he can play 9 and 10

He's not a Lions standard 10 though, debatable whether he's a Lions standard 9 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I dont think thats enough of a reason for him to go. He is a decent player but he shouldnt travel just becasue he can play 9 and 10

He has more in his arsenal than just versatility. He was excellent in some of his 6N showings. He absolutely tortured France and was the main reason they were in the game at half time. He's an accomplished goal kicker who has played some really good rugby this year, covers two important positions and, unlike the vast majority of the squad, has actually gone to Australia and beaten them in their back yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

So after 6N and this round of matches I would put the irish selection as

On the plane - Healy, POC, SOB, Sexton, BOD

Touch and go - Best, Heaslip, Murray, Bowe, Zebo, Kearney,

Bolters - Madigan ( a suggestion I mocked a few weeks ago), POM

Out of contention - Ross, Marshall, Gilroy, Earls, Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    So after 6N and this round of matches I would put the irish selection as

On the plane - Healy, POC, SOB, Sexton, BOD

Touch and go - Best, Heaslip, Murray, Bowe, Zebo, Kearney,

Bolters - Madigan ( a suggestion I mocked a few weeks ago), POM

Out of contention - Ross, Marshall, Gilroy, Earls, Ryan

I would say if Zebo is touch and go then so Gilroy must be as well.

Even though I dont think he will go there is a decent chance Ross will go as third choice tighthead. Even though most of us automatically rule him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

I would say if Zebo is touch and go then so Gilroy must be as well.

Even though I dont think he will go there is a decent chance Ross will go as third choice tighthead. Even though most of us automatically rule him out.

I think Zebo will travel. Gatland said he would give him a chance to get fit afterall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Zebo looked like he hadn't missed a minute of rugby out there today, fair play to him. Kelly Brown was impressive (20+ tackles) and has versatility up his sleeve. Robshaw could yet find himself excluded, Gatland says he views him as a 6.5 and you have Brown and SOB who also fall into that category. Tipuric and Warburton are both likely to go as 7s and Gatland is a massive Lydiate fan. Interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

trouttrout wrote: »
    What do people think about Robshaw?

Personally while I think he's very good when in form I just think there's better players ahead of him
    Good player but I'm honestly not sure if I would bring him.

Assuming six backrows travel Tipuric Felatu and SOB have to travel imo. Ferris and Lydiate would have travel but they won't be fit for it. After that there isn't much between eight or nine players who could travel and he is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Any word in Lydiate's conditioning after his injury?

There was a photo put up a while ago and he looked about 20 st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

I'd definitely take Lydiate. Enough games between now and the test games to get into top form, and guys who've missed chunks of the season are likely to be fresher than those who've been flogged. Robshaw in particular looks in need of a rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

buyer95 wrote: »
    Rog a bolter for Lions tour after today.

Yes. The ones at Longleat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

rpurfield wrote: »
    probably gonna sound a bit strange saying this but i was out today missed the munster match caught bits on the radio and by all accounts oconnell was immense but surely he wont have enough time at this stage to be in with a shout on the lions??

I'd go further and say the lions NEED Paul o'Connell. And I'm a Leicester, not a Munster fan. Potentially losing Tom Croft is a blow. And Wilkinson was immense today. If picking on form alone, I'd have him on the plane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I don't think these H-Cup Games will have much impact in Lions selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

I don't think these H-Cup Games will have much impact in Lions selection.

On the contrary I think they hold a lot of weight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Gatland wouldn't be attending otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

durkadurka wrote: »
    Gatland wouldn't be attending otherwise.

And he really made an effort, he was in Gloucester on Thursday, London on Friday, Bath on Saturday (don't know if he was at Ulster-Sarries game later that day, surely he was?), and back to London today. That in itself shows how seriously he is taking these games

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Go on then who is making the team, That wasn't before this weekend, I say none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

The HEC matches matter hugely. Just look at the 2009 tour. Munster were by far the best team in Europe when the squad was selected, and as a result they dominated the squad.

As an aside, anyone else think that Best could/will miss out on the plane? His form has fallen over the last few months to a point where he is a liability from touch. Someone like Sherry could/should well be testing him for an Irish jersey this time next year due to his darts being much better.

The HEC matches matter hugely. Just look at the 2009 tour. Munster were by far the best team in Europe when the squad was selected, and as a result they dominated the squad.

As an aside, anyone else think that Best could/will miss out on the plane? His form has fallen over the last few months to a point where he is a liability from touch. Someone like Sherry could/should well be testing him for an Irish jersey this time next year due to his darts being much better.

Sherry is far from his only competition, Cronin is a good impact option off the bench (and a new coach might actually use him as one), Strauss has fine darts and several years proven H Cup quality behind him. Hooker will be a strong position for Ireland for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Sherry? I think Strauss and even Cronin are ahead of him

• Advertisement

Jaysus Sherry won't tour. Relax lads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Strauss.

Jaysus Sherry won't tour. Relax lads

He/we are talking about him challenging Best for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Sherry is the best all round player in the no2 jersey in Ireland, being a ex flanker has stood to him, he has great hands, tackles well, can carry well in the tight and out wide, I have been hugely impressed with him this year. In a couple of years he will surely be n the Ireland squad with Struass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Steady on folks, if Best had an O Connell to throw to there would be no issue... Look forward to seeing them together again in Oz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Cronin is a better player than Sherry.

decisions wrote: »

Cronin must worry about Struass not Sherry, I think Sherry throws better darts also.

decisions wrote: »

I don't think there's much between the two

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Why are we discussing Sherry or Cronin in a Lion thread? Aside from Sherry's darts he offers very little, and was found out big time at scrum time today. Cronin is a fantastic impact sub, but again his wayward darts would probably let him down. Cronin strikes me as someone that can develop, but I can't ever see him being Lions test quality imo.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Why are we discussing Sherry or Cronin in a Lion thread? Aside from Sherry's darts he offers very little, and was found out big time at scrum time today. Cronin is a fantastic impact sub, but again his wayward darts would probably let him down. Cronin strikes me as someone that can develop, but I can't ever see him being Lions test quality imo.

I always assumed you were a knowledgeable so I will give you the benefit of the doubt but Sherry offers a lot around the park, best hands for a hooker in Ireland and unlike most front rows he doesn't look for contact all the time (due to the fact he used to be a flanker), he actually tries to go around players, fantastic prospect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement