Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I think saying Madigan is better than Farrell is a bit much. Madigan has a lot to prove yet

Agree, that said if given a choice of either of them at Leinster I know who'd I'd pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

The problem for Madigan is that he just doesn't have enough big game experience at 10 to warrant bringing him on the Lions tour so can't see it happening.

I say if he had got a run at 10 in the 6 Nations. Unfortunately for him, with Sexton coming back he'll be playing from off the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Swiwi wrote: »
    Having watched a bit of the SXV now, I'd say the Wallabies will have a backline to match the Lions. Israel Folau is rapidly finding his feet in Union. For Robbie Deans, I reckon the series (?coaching) defining selection is his choice of 10. I wouldn't go with Cooper, but then you are probably looking at choosing an uncapped player at 10, unless you go with the makeshift Beale, O'Connor or steady Barnes.

Don't see the Lions forwards completely running all over the WBs either.

It promises to be a close series, which is exactly what I want to see - not a comfortable 3-0 win for either side.

Paul Cully discusses this very issue in today's SMH

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/its-a-numbers-game-so-its-time-to-nail-down-no-10-20130408-2hgwj.html

I'd say 10 is to Australia what 12 is to the Lions - very open to discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Actually I would be less surprised with Patchell being picked over Madigan as he has had some good HEC games especially when you consider how bad a team he is in

The Welsh and English media would be non too pleased if Madigan got there. Afraid I can't see him going

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Not sure if anyone said that?

.ak did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Madigan is being hilariously over-rated/hyped by Leinster fans desperate for him to step up and replace Sexton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Madigan is being hilariously over-rated/hyped by Leinster fans desperate for him to step up and replace Sexton.

Probably a bit much to hope for any rational explanation from you but could you elaborate? Do you not think he's been playing well this season and deserved his Ireland call up?

Ah yeah

It's not as if he's been scoring for fun
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/team/results/squad_leinster_first_team.php?player=72809&includeref=dynamic#.UWMOcqJwrkY

8 tries
    27 conversions
    36 penalties
    for 202 points this season.

Also leading the Rabo12 points scoring this season too
    http://www.statbunker.com/rugby/btb/index.php?PL=competition&CompID=413&statType=leadingGoalScorers

Sure he's been missing kicks left right and centre with only an 88% kicking success rate (52 from 59)
    http://www.statbunker.com/rugby/btb/index.php?PL=competition&CompID=413&statType=ksr&x=39&y=4

(doubting that site though, Tommy O'Donnell doing well with the boot!)

He's also struggled to engineer anything of interest, and you never see him doing this.

The truth is we were horribly desperate for him to step up and supplement Sexton (Ireland duties & Injuries). Then we became desperate for him to step up and replace him.

But he's already well on the way. He doesn't have the ability to control a game in the same manner as Sexton, but he's been doing his own thing and winning games left right and centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

danthefan wrote: »
    Probably a bit much to hope for any rational explanation from you but could you elaborate? Do you not think he's been playing well this season and deserved his Ireland call up?

Definitely, but the hype surrounding him is unreal. He's an extremely exciting player, but he has shown little evidence of being able to manage a game or bring players into the game other than running himself. He does well for Leinster because their team in general is very strong, but he needs an exposure to some difficult games where his pack isn't coasting before he can be put into Lions consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

I'm an Ulster fan and think Madigan is a brilliant prospect. Tbh I can't understand how you can claim he is overrated/hyped as nobody is saying he's going to instantly displace Sexton. What people are commenting on is a player who is excelling at numerous facets off the game. Can you tell me exactly what part of his game is overrated? He's still a work in progress but on what I've seen of him this season he merits the plaudits he's receiving:

Game management: Good and improving with experience of every game.
    Goal-kicking: Consistently good, of a much higher level than Paddy Jackson's.
    Defence: Like D'Arcy and O'Driscall he punches well above his weight in defence. He's aggressive in the tackle, much more so than O'Gara ever was.
    Open play: Excellent in open play, probably even ahead of Sexton in his running. Like his defence, and similar to his 2 centre teammates again, he is elusive and powerful beyond his size in close quarters.

I'm not saying that he's ahead of Sexton as an all rounder for one second but anyone who thinks the lad is over-hyped as a replacement clearly hasn't watched him operate recently. He's done nothing but excel in the role. With proper coaching and experience he will be a top top player for both Leinster and Ireland for years to come.

• Advertisement

Definitely, but the hype surrounding him is unreal. He's an extremely exciting player, but he has shown little evidence of being able to manage a game or bring players into the game other than running himself. He does well for Leinster because their team in general is very strong, but he needs an exposure to some difficult games where his pack isn't coasting before he can be put into Lions consideration.

Did you watch the recent Glasgow match? :confused: Clearly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

I think Madigan is a great prospect , no.1 of all the young outhalfs, but until he proves himserlf in the Hcup, I am skeptical to hype him up too much.

Definitely, but the hype surrounding him is unreal. He's an extremely exciting player, but he has shown little evidence of being able to manage a game

By this you mean you want to see him spend a game kicking for the corners, right? Leinster like to keep the ball. That's how he manages the game.
    or bring players into the game

Don't even know what to say to this.
    He does well for Leinster because their team in general is very strong, but he needs an exposure to some difficult games where his pack isn't coasting before he can be put into Lions consideration.

Addressed by someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I think Madigan is a great prospect , no.1 of all the young outhalfs, but until he proves himserlf in the Hcup, I am skeptical to hype him up too much.

He's done all he can given where Leinster have found themselves. Hopefully he'll get another couple of high profile games before the end of the season.

But we need to put things back in perspective here, no one is claiming he should be the test out half, only that if you were naming a prospective bolter, he'd have to be in the mix. And the list of established candidates for OH is not great.

He's done all he can given where Leinster have found themselves. Hopefully he'll get another couple of high profile games before the end of the season.

But we need to put things back in perspective here, no one is claiming he should be the test out half, only that if you were naming a prospective bolter, he'd have to be in the mix. And the list of established candidates for OH is not great.

Absolutely, I've never suggested he'd be getting near the 23. I don't expect him to tour even. But I think he'd be fine in midweek games if he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

There is a big step up from Rabo to the HCup, especially in the knockout stages. It will be interesting to see how Madigan handles it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Just thinking about this, Madigan's best chance might be if WG views him as a 10/12. 12 is potentially the thinnest position in terms of depth for the Lions, it's basically Roberts, and then a bit of a yawning gap to inexperience (Twelvetrees, Marshall etc) or converting 13s into 12s (Tualagi, BOD etc). There's much less need for a 12 to "manage" a game, so experience/temperament are a little less vital, but needs to tackle well - Leinster fans, how is Madigan's defense? Watertight?

Just thinking about this, Madigan's best chance might be if WG views him as a 10/12. 12 is potentially the thinnest position in terms of depth for the Lions, it's basically Roberts, and then a bit of a yawning gap to inexperience (Twelvetrees, Marshall etc) or converting 13s into 12s (Tualagi, BOD etc). There's much less need for a 12 to "manage" a game, so experience/temperament are a little less vital, but needs to tackle well - Leinster fans, how is Madigan's defense? Watertight?

He's small so just in terms of raw power he's not going to compete with Tuilagi for example but he's very aggressive and I'm struggling to think of him being badly shown up in the tackle. You'd also have to wonder about his positioning at 12, something I couldn't comment on.

Overall he's a decent defender, but wouldn't be as good as Sexton.

Farrell probably fits the 10/12 slot better in terms of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

ffs lads, madigan hasn't even played 80 mins in an Irish Jersey yet.
    Come back down to earth. There is 0% chance he's going on tour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

omega666 wrote: »

Ah yes, if only there was a precedent or some way to describe a player going on a Lions tour that hadn't played much international rugby eh? Pity that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

10's Sexton, Farrell & Priestland would've the 3 going imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Priestland is useless. Would be a waste of a spot on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

10s for me are Sexton, Farrell and Laidlaw

omega666 wrote: »

Yes, because getting picked for Ireland over the last year or two has been a real indication of players form. Hello Declan!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

10s for me are Sexton, Farrell and Laidlaw

Laidlaw has played all his rugby at 9 for the last few months though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Farrell probably fits the 10/12 slot better in terms of experience.

Farrell will be on the plane, the question is who the third OH will be.

I just don't rate either Biggar or Priestland, I'd much rather see someone like Madigan, Patchell or Matthew Morgan get the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Wouldn't be at all surprised if madigan went as a Bolger. Wg has little issue with giving youth and inexperience a chance.

Great to see lads putting their hands up with great displays for the provinces at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I'm actually embarrassed on your behalf for this post.

Madigan has been dominant in a blue jersey this season, you obviously just haven't been watching Leinster.

Not saying he should or will travel with the Lions but he has stepped up for Leinster and the future looks bright at 10 for both Leinster and Ireland. Your pointless attempt at simple provincial point scoring is pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

bamboozle wrote: »
    Wouldn't be at all surprised if madigan went as a Bolger. Wg has little issue with giving youth and inexperience a chance.

Great to see lads putting their hands up with great displays for the provinces at the weekend.

It's almost like he thrives on it, I don't know if it'll be Madigan but I'm sure he'll pluck someone from somewhere. The same guy wanted to take Gordon D'Arcy from school to play for Ireland FFS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement