Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway. Unemployment 19-24 Year Olds Census 2011

Options
  • 26-07-2012 4:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the graphic.

galway19-24unemployment2011census.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I was hoping the graphic would tell me about unemployment in the city areas.

It's a bit hard to interpret, and surely including conamara in there is a bit ridiculous as so few people live there that a few unemployed would skew the statistics?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Too old to be included in that demographic now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

As am I, by a year, and I also find that graphic very difficult to interpret, it looks like camouflage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mantach

Parts of Conamara are densely populated and around Leitir Meallain unemployment is around 80%!!
    Anywhere in Galway city like that for any out of work age group?
    Including Conamara with Galway city unemployment statistics makes it look better.
    The Irish National Organisation of the Unemployed inou.ie may have separate statistics for different age groups in Galway city areas.

Beir Bua.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

As an observation these unemployment levels do much to explain the recent fall in roads deaths. As I recall- when they are driving, this age cohort make a contribution to road deaths that exceeds their numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Where exactly is the light blue area to the west within the city boundary?
    Are the blobs of colour contiguous with existential boundaries ie. local electoral areas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Westside/Rahoon...the area with the highest unemployment among 19-24 year old in the City. The older mature suburbs like Salthill and Renmore have lower unemployment rates. The data is shown by electoral areas, yes.

Maps of county electoral areas, and their names, here

http://www.galway.ie/en/about/RegisterofElectors/ElectoralAreasCountyGalway2009-Map/TheFile,9765,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And the point is?

To really look at whether youth employment is a problem, you need to look at the proportions long term unemployed ('cos younger people change jobs a lot, the proportion of them unemployed at any one point, like census night, is always going to be higher than other working age groups).

And you need to use geographic areas with populations larger than many on that map.

Advertisement