Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Marriage/Marriage Equality/End of World?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Cabaal wrote: »

Remember kids, religious based laws are only bad when its not orders from the vatican.

And yet again, the Christians are the victims of this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Amazed nobody's posted this
    Are catholic priests, bishops etc the only people who use the word "gravely" these days?

It certainly seems to have been one of McQuaid's favourite words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

I did...1 or 2 pages back...I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have to admit, the letters regarding the Marriage Referendum in today's Irish Times made me laugh. Not for their content, but who the letters were by.

One letter against Marriage Equality by
    Dr JOHN MURRAY,
    Iona Institute

One letter for Marriage Equality by
    Dr CONOR O’MAHONY,
    Senior Lecturer,
    School of Law,
    University College Cork;
    Prof IVANA BACIK,
    School of Law,
    Trinity College Dublin; and
    Lydia Bracken LLM, BL, PhD candidate, UCC Dr Alan Brady, School of Law, TCD Dr Laura Cahillane, School of Law, University of Limerick Eamonn Carroll, Noonan Coffey Carroll Linehan Solicitors, Cork Dr Mark Coen, School of Law, UCD Amy Coleman, Attorney-at-Law, Los Angeles Michael Connell BL Dr Vicky Conway, School of Law, Kent University Dr Louise Crowley, School of Law, UCC Dr Eoin Daly, School of Law, NUIG Professor Paul Daly, School of Law, University of Montreal Stephen Daly LLM, PhD Candidate, University of Oxford Dr Yvonne Daly, School of Law and Government, DCU Professor Fiona De Londras, School of Law, Durham University Aiden Desmond, Desmond & Co Solicitors, Midleton Brian Dineen, LLM, Dublin Dr Fiona Donson, School of Law, UCC Dr Oran Doyle, School of Law, TCD Mairéad Enright, School of Law, Kent University Dr Ruth Fletcher, School of Law, Queen Mary University London Dr James Gallen, School of Law and Government, DCU Diarmuid Griffin, School of Law, NUIG Kate Halpin LLM, PhD Candidate, NUIG Richard Hammond, Hammond Good Solicitors, Mallow Professor Steve Hedley, School of Law, UCC Dr Tom Hickey, School of Law and Government, DCU Mark Kelly, Director, Irish Council for Civil Liberties Dr Padraic Kenna, School of Law, NUIG Dr David Kenny, School of Law, TCD Professor Ursula Kilkelly, School of Law, UCC Cathal Malone BL Professor Maeve McDonagh, School of Law, UCC Simon McGarr, McGarr Solicitors, Dublin Dr Joe McGrath, School of Law, UCD Rossa McMahon, Solicitor, Patrick G McMahon Solicitors, Newcastle West Joe Noonan, Noonan Coffey Carroll Linehan Solicitors, Cork Professor Donncha O’Connell, School of Law, NUIG Dr Eoin O’Dell, School of Law, TCD Dr Conor O’Mahony, School of Law, UCC Maeve O’Rourke BL, PhD candidate, Durham University Dr Catherine O’Sullivan, School of Law, UCC Charles O’Sullivan LLM, PhD Candidate, NUI Maynooth Dr Aisling Parkes, School of Law, UCC Dr David Prendergast, School of Law, TCD Justine Quinn BL Nick Reilly BL Dr Sinéad Ring, School of Law, Kent University Keith Rooney BL Claire Scannell, Solicitor, PartnerRe Ireland Insurance Ltd, Dublin Dr Claire-Michelle Smyth, School of Law and Government, DCU Dr Fergus Ryan, School of Law, NUI Maynooth Dr Liam Thornton, School of Law, UCD Declan Walsh, School of Law, UCC Jeff Walsh, LLB, PhD candidate, TCD Susan Whelan, Attorney-at-Law, State Street, Dublin

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ah, yes. Would have helped if I included that too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

One letter against Marriage Equality by
    Dr JOHN MURRAY,
    Iona Institute

I love how these people insist on putting the Dr in front of their names to make themselves sound like an authority. What do you imagine he's a doctor of?

Let's see:

From Iona's website:
    Chairman: Dr John Murray. Dr Murray is a lecturer at Mater Dei Institute.

From Mater Dei's website:
    John Murray graduated from Mater Dei Institute in 1985 and taught Religion and English in two secondary schools: Presentation College, Carlow [1985-6] and St. David's Holy Faith Secondary School, Greystones [1986-2002]. He did a Masters degree in Mater Dei [1998-2001] and began lecturing in Mater Dei Institute in 2002. His main teaching is in the area of moral theology (Christian Ethics), but he also supervises Teaching Practice, conduct Religious Studies tutorials, moderates theses, and so on. Dr Murray finished his doctoral degree in theology [St. Patrick's College, Maynooth] in 2009. His doctorate is entitled: "The Role of Religion as a Basic Human Good in the Moral Theory of Germain Grisez".

To quote the immortal Bill Murray: [Laughs] What a waste of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I love how these people insist on putting the Dr in front of their names to make themselves sound like an authority. What do you imagine he's a doctor of?

Let's see:

From Iona's website:
    Chairman: Dr John Murray. Dr Murray is a lecturer at Mater Dei Institute.

From Mater Dei's website:
    John Murray graduated from Mater Dei Institute in 1985 and taught Religion and English in two secondary schools: Presentation College, Carlow [1985-6] and St. David's Holy Faith Secondary School, Greystones [1986-2002]. He did a Masters degree in Mater Dei [1998-2001] and began lecturing in Mater Dei Institute in 2002. His main teaching is in the area of moral theology (Christian Ethics), but he also supervises Teaching Practice, conduct Religious Studies tutorials, moderates theses, and so on. Dr Murray finished his doctoral degree in theology [St. Patrick's College, Maynooth] in 2009. His doctorate is entitled: "The Role of Religion as a Basic Human Good in the Moral Theory of Germain Grisez".

To quote the immortal Bill Murray: [Laughs] What a waste of time!

I'll have you know I studied under Dr John Murray!
    Not the iOnanist. The one in Maynooth.
    :)

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

:(

Happened in Limerick city centre.

Two young women savagely beaten in homophobic attack
    The young women have described the men as being aged in their early to mid-20s and said they were "well-dressed, as if coming back from a night out".

The verbal abuse quickly escalated to physical violence, according to Ms Murphy, who is originally from Newcastle West.

"Suddenly, the men pushed us to the ground. They were stepping on our chests, they kneed and kicked us," the student said.

The men appeared to leave after approximately ten minutes - after taking the girls' hats - but one returned "which was the worst part" of the assault, according to Ms Prendergast.

"We thought it was over. Then one guy came back, threw Ciara against a shop window and ripped up her hat in front of her," she said.

When the unprovoked vicious attack was finally over, Ms Murphy lay unconscious on the street following a knock to her head, while Ms Prendergast had been beaten and was in shock beside her.

Two passers-by came upon the young women some time later and immediately alerted the emergency services and the gardai, who responded to the scene.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Russia. Two weeks ago, two lesbian who noticed a prominent anti-gay legislator on a plane, photobombed him, tweeted the result, are now being investigated by the Russian police for breaking the law on "promoting homosexuality to minors".

http://globalvoicesonline.org/2015/02/26/police-raid-the-lesbians-who-trolled-russias-leading-anti-gay-politician/
    Lentach wrote:
    Milonov, kissing lesbians and a Nazi salute. All of Russia in a single photo.

340276.jpg

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Want a laugh??? Another legal eagle story... Another opinion-piece from an irish S.C (with a lot of WE's in it) ..... http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/be...ndum-1.2123429

No, it's not from the Waterford Whisperer, it's real.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A Breda O' Brien column is usually followed by some letters calling her out. Oops...
    Sir, – Breda O’Brien’s claim that the Children and Family Relationships Bill 2015 is being pushed through by the Government fails to take account of the lengthy gestation period (no pun intended) that the legislation has had before being debated by the Houses of the Oireachtas (“Democratic disaster as Government pushes through family Bill”, Opinion and Analysis, February 28th) . I know this because I was one of the legal experts invited to Leinster House almost a year ago, on April 9th, 2014, to engage in pre-legislative scrutiny of the general scheme of the Bill with the members of the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality. The advice given by myself and the other medical and legal experts that day during a lengthy consultation helped to identify problems and recommend changes to the legislation to prevent unforeseen consequences for children.

Ms O’Brien states that the Government does not care whether one is raised by one’s own biological parents or “two men or two women who may or may not be related to you”. Adopted children nationwide are being raised by men and women unrelated to them, so Ms O’Brien’s preference for biological parents and her statement is disrespectful to all adoptive parents. Further, whether a child is raised by two men or two women who are related or unrelated to the child, an ever-increasing body of evidence shows that same-sex parenting is not detrimental to child welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Due to their Christian beliefs, Beulah Print are refusing to make a long serving customers Wedding invites as they are for a gay marriage.

Here's the grooms' original post

I am absolutely discussed with the treatment I am after receiving from Beulahprint in Drogheda. I have given them my business for over 4 years now and when I asked them to design my wedding invitations he refused as himself and his business partner don't believe in same sex civil partnerships and homosexuality and they are 'devoted Christians' I can't believe how they can discriminate against gay people. And worst part of it all he comes into my place of work and humiliates me in front of all my staff. Never again will I give them my business.

And the reply from the business in question.

We, at Beulah Print, are Bible-believing Christians who are committed to standing by our conscience and God’s Word. We have been in business for twelve years during which time we have held to our convictions and have at times declined a variety of work which we felt was clearly contrary to our beliefs. We have never hidden our faith from our customers and represent the gospel at every opportunity. We are not against homosexuals however, we do not support same sex marriage, which printing wedding invitations would do. We believe the love of God is extended to all people and that He has called us all to walk in the light of His word, for He is the way, the truth and the life.

Deadlie wrote: »
    Due to their Christian beliefs, Beulah Print are refusing to make a long serving customers Wedding invites as they are for a gay marriage.

He also said to treat everyone as equals as the sin is what is wrong not the people but lets skip over that part.

UKIP deputy leader: We want the votes of anti-gay marriage Catholics

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/03/05/ukip-deputy-leader-we-want-the-votes-of-anti-gay-marriage-catholics/
    Pink News wrote:
    UKIP is the natural home for Catholic voters who are angry over same-sex marriage and other social reforms, deputy leader Paul Nuttall has claimed. The Tablet reports Mr Nuttall, a practising Catholic and MEP for the North West, said the “statistics” proved he was right.

“Twelve percent of Catholics have already indicated that they are going to vote, or have already voted, UKIP,” Mr Nuttall said. “On moral issues, we, more than any other political party, are more in line with Catholic thought. Whether it’s on gender-choice abortion or same-sex marriage, we are absolutely 100 percent behind the Catholic Church.” UKIP migration spokesman Steven Woolfe said: “When we meet the Catholic Bishops on Thursday in London we shall say that UKIP as a party has defended religious freedom against aggressive secularism and the traditional definition of marriage while the legacy parties have all legalised gay marriage.

“We have stood up for the right of parents to educate their children in their religion of choice as long as it does not preach hatred or violence, and advocated the benign tolerance of Judeo-Christian values as the basis for a shared civic space in Britain. “We defend the innocence of young kids against enforced early sexual education and oppose the EU trying to stop Christian schools in Britain employing Christian teachers to support their religious ethos.”

Mr Woolfe also highlighted UKIP’s record on the right-to-life, saying: “UKIP MPs voted against gender selection abortion while all other parties were split.” He added: “We believe once the bishops hear what UKIP actually has to say, any reticence they may have will evaporate.”

On moral issues, we, more than any other political party, are more in line with Catholic thought.

Thats never something to be proud of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Seems very similar to the great Christians V Gays wedding cake scandal.
    Which happened in N Ireland, but this case of refusing to print invitations for a gay couple looks like it would be illegal discrimination under ROI laws to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Not sure if this has been posted, it appears Scott Lively may finally have to answer for his involvement in Uganda's 'Kill The Gays' bill:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/12/08/american-pastor-who-helped-uganda-create-kill-the-gays-law-will-be-tried-for-crimes-against-humanity/
    Officially titled the “Anti-Homosexuality Act” and more commonly known as the “Kill the Gays” bill, Lively’s vision was nothing less than a roadmap for the total persecution and eradication of homosexuals from Uganda. In Lively’s original design, anyone caught engaging in homosexuality would be executed. A newer bill softened that stance slightly after worldwide condemnation – in the latest version, homosexuals would only be sentenced to life in prison.

Unfortunately for Lively, orchestrating genocide in another country is kind of frowned upon, and in 2012 a lawsuit was filed against Lively in federal court in Massachusetts for crimes against humanity. This week, the First Circuit Court of Appeals denied Lively’s final request to have it dismissed because, well, the whole genocide thing.

Hopefully he will be convicted, his bare faced hate and blatant homophobia is evident for all to see. I still remember the Niall Boylan show on 4fm fiasco and I would be happy to the point of smugness if this irrational arsehole sees jail time.

The Examiner reports that a Cork City Co , Coolgrey Design and Print, have offered to do the job for the couple...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-printer-offers-to-help-gay-couple-after-wedding-invite-snub-665001.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

aloyisious wrote: »
    The Examiner reports that a Cork City Co , Coolgrey Design and Print, have offered to do the job for the couple...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-printer-offers-to-help-gay-couple-after-wedding-invite-snub-665001.html
    Nice bit of publicity for them!

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted, it appears Scott Lively may finally have to answer for his involvement in Uganda's 'Kill The Gays' bill:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/12/08/american-pastor-who-helped-uganda-create-kill-the-gays-law-will-be-tried-for-crimes-against-humanity/

Hopefully he will be convicted, his bare faced hate and blatant homophobia is evident for all to see. I still remember the Niall Boylan show on 4fm fiasco and I would be happy to the point of smugness if this irrational arsehole sees jail time.

I reckon he'll hope this gent, from his side of the fence, is wrong. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/03/04/rumoured-presidential-candidate-prisons-prove-being-gay-is-a-choice/

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

aloyisious wrote: »

Ben Carson is a young earther. Don't know if you ever saw the debate between him (with I think francis collins on his 'side' as a fellow theist) and two atheists, one I believe was Hitchens.
    Ben trotted out the worst arguments possible, every cliché in the creationist handbook. It was horrible. The fact he is a surgeon, while believing people like Ken Hamm, is a miracle of mental dissonance.
    I would not trust him in regard to any opinion on any matter.
    (btw I get that you were making a joke, funny.).

It's too early for me to get a podcast link. Colm O'Gorman's daughter was just on the Ray D'arcy radio show reading a letter she wrote in answer to people who oppose, or are doubtful over what they see as the rights and wrongs of same-sex civil marriages being made legal here in the republic. Colm was also on the show as his daughter is still of school-going age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Beautifully put [...]
    That report by a "Commission on the Relief of the Sick and Destitute Poor, Including the Insane Poor" is available as a download here:

http://www.lenus.ie/hse/handle/10147/238535

It makes interesting, sobering reading to see what was clearly considered normal 80 years ago. The following are quotes from Chapter 6, "Unmarried Mothers and Children":
    234. At present there is no power to detain a woman in any Poor Law institution, even when it is clearly necessary for her protection. We suggest that if an unmarried woman who applies for relief during pregnancy or after giving birth to a child is willing, when applying for assistance, to undertake to remain for a period not exceeding one year there should be power to retain her for that period, in the case of a first admission. In the case of admission for a second time, there should be power to retain for a period of two years. On third or subsequent admissions the Board should have power to retain for such period as they think fit [...]

253. [...] the homes of foster parents are not always good ; that the children are often taken for the small monetary gain; that they are frequently drudges, and if they happen to be illegitimate the stigma of their birth becomes known and they are shunned.

256 [...] We share the view placed before us that at present the law gives the man every loophole for escape;from the shame and dishonour that is cast upon the woman and that the time is ripe for an amendment of the law.
    Elsewhere, it seems normal that hospitals had no running water supply. Unhappy reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Gene is probably the only good thing about the Independent at the moment. Expect Do'Bs boys to hound him out any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So, was anyone else listening to Newstalk's Breakfast Show and the interview with Kevin Doran? He's an insufferable wanker.

• Advertisement

So, was anyone else listening to Newstalk's Breakfast Show and the interview with Kevin Doran? He's an insufferable wanker.

didn't hear it yet but the hightlights on the podcast page are pretty terrible.
    The Bishop of Elphin Kevin Doran has likened homosexuality to Down Syndrome, and also believes that gay parents are not parents.

He was speaking to Newstalk Breakfast to mark the first day of the Spring Meeting of the Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference, which will continue until Wednesday.

This is the first meeting since the date for the referendum on same-sex marriage was announced by the government.

Meanwhile the Children and Family Relationships Bill is making its way through the Oireachtas, in the expectation that it will be passed before the country goes to the polls on May 22nd.

Dr Kevin Doran told Newstalk Breakfast the upcoming referendum is not about marriage in the traditional sense

He also believes that gay parents are not parents.

And when asked about the issue of abortion for victims of rape, Dr Doran suggested "it is about money".

Link to source + full audio of interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

SW wrote: »

Always happy to hear the bishops weigh in - they have no clue how bad they make the No side of everything sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Ah, so someone who has never been a parent gets to decide who is a parent and who isn't.

Right so.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

robindch wrote: »

Here here. Class act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

SW wrote: »

Link to source + full audio of interview

Heres a transcript, and its fairly dire stuff.

Doran: “Ad so when you change the meaning of marriage, you change the relationships of parents because if children are now, to have say, two parents who are of the same sex, that…”
    Donoghue: “But children do, Bishop. As in lesbian people, lesbians, gay men they are already parents..”
    Doran: “They’re not parents. You see the point about it is…”
    Donoghue: “But they are, all over Ireland. They have children.”
    Doran: “They may have children but that’s the difference, you see that’s the point, people who have children are not necessarily parents. This legislation that the Government is introducing, the Children and Family Relationships Bill, seems primarily focused about making it possible for people in various different relationships to have children. It’s not about ensuring that children have their parents.”
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/03/09/bishopdorannewstalk/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

His up-its-own arse sophistry reminds me of a pompous ultramontane apologist from t'udder forum.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Doran: “They may have children but that’s the difference, you see that’s the point, people who have children are not necessarily parents. This legislation that the Government is introducing, the Children and Family Relationships Bill, seems primarily focused about making it possible for people in various different relationships to have children. It’s not about ensuring that children have their parents.”
    Could have been said by Sir Humphry.

So instead of illegititmate children its illegitimate parents?

Ta for the links to Brighid & Paddy and to the other person's opinion, heard them mentioned at the equalty launch today, wanted links. The launch is being talked about on Drive-Time programme RTE, incl the bish's opinion.

An OZ video from the "think of the children" anti-marriage equality camp.... http://ow.ly/K66G7. Link courtesy of The Outmost, GCN's online magazine. Leave's me wondering if we'll see the same hype here shortly.

Link to the Equality launch (hope it work's)... http://new.livestream.com/YesEquality

Click on the link, then click on the 2nd Equality poster for the launch video link. Skip forward twelve (12) minutes and twenty (20) seconds for the start of proceedings.

So instead of illegititmate children its illegitimate parents?
    Galway Daily News reports - less satire and more like reality.

http://www.galwaydailynews.com/2015/03/09/bishop-of-elphin-politely-asked-to-go-****-off-back-to-the-fourteenth-century/
    The normal rational thinking people of Ireland have shown a united front as they told the Bishop of Elphin to ‘take his homophobic nonsensical anti-science bullshit and fuck off back to the fourteenth century’.

Kevin Doran, a man who believes that he should abstain from all sexual relations while simultaneously commenting on what consenting adults do in their own time, told the media today that gay parents were not ‘proper parents’ and that the ‘jury is still out’ on whether people were born gay.

The Bishop was tracked down to a cave in Wicklow, where he now resides, spending his days wondering whether people that have dogs are dog owners and if people born in Ireland are Irish born.

Mr Doran believes that traditional marriage and the traditional family unit as declared in the Bible is the only logical way.

‘One man and multiple wives, healthy beatings and mass misogyny, and killing your son for working on the sabbath. These are what I hold dear’, stated the man who believes the bible is metaphorical until it confirms his predetermined bias.

• Advertisement

Oh dear. Bishop Doran has also "admitted that he was confused about his sexuality as a teenager":

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/bishop-opposed-to-same-sex-marriage-struggled-with-sexuality-1.2132250
    The Bishop wrote:
    "One of the things I would suggest also from my own experience working as a university chaplain would be that many young people in their late teens are confused about their sexuality, understandably I think. I’d have to say I was myself,” said the cleric, who is one of the leading advocates for a No vote in the upcoming same-sex marriage referendum.

Something tell's me there were a few live splutterings at the Saturday breakfast table in many a home here...

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gene-kerrigan/we-led-the-fight-for-family-values-31049258.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Oh dear. Bishop Doran has also "admitted that he was confused about his sexuality as a teenager":

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/bishop-opposed-to-same-sex-marriage-struggled-with-sexuality-1.2132250

He didn't know whether he was attracted to women or just wanted to tie them to a stake and burn them?

Also WWN

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/03/09/men-with-no-children-to-continue-lecturing-nation-on-children/

When satire websites arent making things up you probably have done something stupid.

Out of everyone I know who has been raised by a step father/mother view the person who raised them as their parent. Its as if the people who raise the children are just as important as the people with working genitals, but Im probably being stupid considering the opinions of the people actually involved.

Nodin wrote: »
    He didn't know whether he was attracted to women or just wanted to tie them to a stake and burn them?

Why not be bi and you can do both? :pac:

Fr Iggy O'Donovan says Christians shouldn't seek to have the State impose Christians convictions on others
    There is a passage in the Gospels where Jesus tells us to give to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s. In Ireland, we have inherited a tradition which has associated religion and politics in a way that has excluded some of our fellow citizens.

Phrases like “Irish Catholic” and “Ulster Protestant” became descriptions of an identity which was partly religious, partly political, partly cultural and wholly divisive. Today in Ireland we can no longer speak of a Catholic State or a Protestant State.

The State is a secular reality whose principal duty towards religion is to ensure its freedom. Jesus believed that God’s reign was immensely more important than that of any earthly ruler, but he never appealed to earthly rulers to enforce his religious or moral teaching on their subjects.
    We are all conscious of the upcoming referendum on marriage equality. When we vote at any time, we are giving to Caesar what is Caesar’s. In a democracy, Caesar is the people. For most of the time, we elect representatives to the Oireachtas whom we charge with the task of making our laws.

When we vote in a referendum, however, we become legislators ourselves. We actually make the law of our land and only we, the people, can change it. It is a heavy responsibility, which we have to shoulder ourselves rather than leave it to our deputies and senators.
    Full letter/article

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Ah lads. This would bring a tear to a glass eye. Just as good as Paddy and Brighid.

Bishop Doran is sorry that people got offended by the comments he made yesterday on Newstalk. While his line manager, Archbishop Martin, explained in a roundabout fashion that Doran was "insensitive" and didn't "intend any hurt".

Neither man retracted the views expressed, nor apologized for broadcasting them.

http://www.thejournal.ie/bishops-view-on-same-sex-marriage-referendum-1983654-Mar2015

Bishop Doran is sorry that people got offended by the comments he made yesterday on Newstalk. While his line manager, Archbishop Martin, explained in a roundabout fashion that Doran was "insensitive" and didn't "intend any hurt".

Neither man retracted the views expressed, nor apologized for broadcasting them.

http://www.thejournal.ie/bishops-view-on-same-sex-marriage-referendum-1983654-Mar2015

Aka his manager told him to reel it in and stop making a show of the company.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It's good to see the Yes side doing some legwork to promote their cause, particularly if it's just ordinary people. The more socially conservative elements of No camp, whilst traditionally stronger at grassroots campaigns, are struggling a bit here. If the referendum is carried, it'll be interesting to see what the No people complain about. I'm sure a biased media carries more weight than what's in people's heads and hearts.

I wonder if he's going to catch much flack for that. He's right, though. And it raises how much I'm now quite fed up of the narrative that it's all about the children. In that case, why don't the marriage police start going around questioning everyone wearing a wedding ring and pressuring them about children? That's their feckin' remit, by the sound of some of them. :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement