Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Marriage/Marriage Equality/End of World?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    Neither man retracted the views expressed, nor apologized for broadcasting them.
    But more importantly, has Bishop of Elfland Kevin Doran revealed yet how he cured himself of the ghey?
    I heard that he flagellates himself with a dead fish for at least 40 minutes every night.

The wording of the proposed amendment as gaeilge has been changed. Heterosexuals will still be allowed to marry. Taoiseach reckons this will increase the chances of a Yes vote.
    Some observers had claimed that the Irish wording of the amendment, which takes precedence in law, could be construed as preventing heterosexual marriage.

Also in the same article, it is reported by the Chief Primate Archbishop Eamon Martin that the Elven Bishop Kevin Doran "told him last night" that he was sorry for any offence he may have caused in his comments on Newstalk Radio.
    C'mon now Eamon, you should know by now that some guys will say almost anything to get inside the door for that late night "cup of coffee".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The plot thickens. Now Archbishop Martin's boss, also named Archbishop Martin, has stepped in and said something which doesn't really say anything one way or the other. Then he refused to say whether he approves of Doran in the first place. Then the first Archbishop Martin said something else. Then they all released a statement and I suppose went off and had some tea or something.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/martin-refuses-to-back-bishop-doran-after-interview-1.2133614

It would make for a great episode of Fr. Ted, and best of all this stuff writes itself :pac:

Then a Mr Mullan from Galway takes the stand:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/senator-claims-broadcasters-pushing-gay-marriage-agenda-1.2135363
    [...] it’s a constant drip drip of agenda driving in a particular direction which really shows no respect for people. You have well paid people using ordinary people as pawns, seeking to manipulate their minds.

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

all about respect for people? where is Ronans criticism of the the recent No-side comments about same-sex parents not really being parents?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

He's quite fond of the word 'agenda'.

He's quite fond of the word 'agenda'.
    A lot of the strongly religious are.

Like "political correctness", "left-wing" and "liberal" it's a term which means whatever you want, explains nothing, but provides the impression of political depth and wisdom in the notable absence of both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

As usual, lots of lovely sound bites but very little of actual substance. What are these hard questions? Is he aware of the BAI requirement of 50/50 airtime?

They have the opportunity to express their views but act like the victim and everyone is against them, they couldn't possibly be wrong could they? Maybe if they spent less time playing poor me and instead debated the topic they would use the airtime they are given? Although that opens them up to being questioned and once you start questioning they are unable to back up anything until it becomes their opinion only. Sadly in the real world you need a bit more than your opinion to get people to follow you.

Don't forget to claim groupthink because these people are obviously sheeple as you know the truth which you fail to share but complain about being unable to share it despite being given the opportunity to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

A lot of the strongly religious are.

Like "political correctness", "left-wing" and "liberal" it's a term which means whatever you want, explains nothing, but provides the impression of political depth and wisdom in the notable absence of both.

I think the term you may be looking for is "snarl word".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

yes same sex marriage and no one likes biggitt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Oooh... snarl words and purr words. Fantastic, never heard of that before! You've provided an opportunity for some fun reading, thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

obplayer wrote: »
    Sorry [...] taking?

Take it easy there champ, aspergers isn't something wampy can "unlearn"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

The Rubberbandits, who have joined the "Straight up for Equality" campaign, have just delivered the finest come back I've ever seen to a homophobic comment. A bit rude, but they're not known for holding back....

341723.jpg

Gave me a badly needed laugh this morning anyway :cool:

• Advertisement

Also called "boo words" and "hooray words". Same idea. Same absence of thought.

Mod:
    obplayer wrote: »
    Sorry [...] taking?
    While grammar-fetishism can be an admirable quality in one's own prose, it's countersocial to apply it to the works of others.

To preserve the peace, your unhelpful post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm saddened that Bishop Doran spoke his piece when he did, I'd have preferred that he did it a bit later, about 7 days before the vote to maximise the effect on the yes-vote would have done me, so I'm hopeful for a repeat nearer the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

aloyisious wrote: »
    I'm saddened that Bishop Doran spoke his piece when he did, I'd have preferred that he did it a bit later, about 7 days before the vote to maximise the effect on the yes-vote would have done me, so I'm hopeful for a repeat nearer the day.

I'm almost anxious to think of some of the stuff that will come out closer to the vote date. It could get very ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And halfway down that very article...
    In response to queries from The Irish Times Mr Penrose said he “supported the referendum but has never supported sticking things down people’s throats.

Could have phrased that a little better perhaps.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

In response to queries from The Irish Times Mr Penrose said he “supported the referendum but has never supported sticking things down people’s throats.

Oh dear. I now fear that what's really putting the no voters off SSM is a lack of technique :(

I don't know where the facebook poster found this but it sound's nice..... http://whyonainstitute.com/2015/03/11/the-institutions-of-marriage/

Has anyone here got any info of whyiona? It's just at this late stage I don't want to sign up to something I haven't heard of before and I wouldn't put it past the opposition to put up a trojan horse to nobble the YES vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

Been ages since I saw this last but it popped up again in my sisters feed so going to share it on again.
    Succinctly put.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ULdaSrYGLQ

And halfway down that very article...

You missed a perfect opportunity to use this. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Mod:While grammar-fetishism can be an admirable quality in one's own prose, it's countersocial to apply it to the works of others.

To preserve the peace, your unhelpful post has been deleted.

Sorry, just read his posts elsewhere and realised I've been a jerk.

It's all about "the Modern Family v the Traditional Family". David Quinn think's Enda and FG are unchristian and undemocratic, marching the nation to God-knows where. To show he's got a grip on reality, David admit's Enda had cause for righteous anger over child abuse. He likes Lucinda, though he doesn't mention her new party.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/under-kenny-fine-gael-is-neither-christian-nor-is-it-democratic-31062816.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Letter in today's Irish Times:
    Sir, – Senator Rónán Mullen made remarks carried in an article in your newspaper concerning the perceived bias of the broadcast media with respect to coverage of the forthcoming referendum (“Senator claims broadcasters pushing gay marriage ‘agenda’”, March 11th). What interested me initially was the image used by The Irish Times – a close-up photo of Mr Mullen’s face. The image is unflattering and I think intended to make Mr Mullen look foolish. This is not the first time the Senator has been treated in this way. I think it’s petty and completely unprofessional.

We are left in no doubt whose side The Irish Times is on. – Yours, etc,

MÁRTAN Ó CONGHAILE,

Monkstown Valley,

Dublin.

Waaaahhhhh.

For Senator Mullen to make himself appear foolish, it is sufficient that he open his mouth...

Scrap the cap!

a close-up photo of Mr Mullen’s face. The image is unflattering and I think intended to make Mr Mullen look foolish

Ah FFS. Is there a flattering image of Mullen in existence? What's gas though is that this letter writer has basically called the man particularly unattractive looking, whilst blaming the IT for printing a photo of his face. Brilliant own goal.

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Letter in today's Irish Times:

Waaaahhhhh.

For Senator Mullen to make himself appear foolish, it is sufficient that he open his mouth...

the world really doesn't need Ronan Mullen glamour shots!!! :eek::eek::eek::pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

SW wrote: »
    the world really doesn't need Ronan Mullen glamour shots!!! :eek::eek::eek::pac:

Speak for yourself. I think he's hot. How does he feel about marrying me? I'm male but not gay so he should have no worries on that score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

It's all about "the Modern Family v the Traditional Family". David Quinn think's Enda and FG are unchristian and undemocratic, marching the nation to God-knows where. To show he's got a grip on reality, David admit's Enda had cause for righteous anger over child abuse. He likes Lucinda, though he doesn't mention her new party.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/under-kenny-fine-gael-is-neither-christian-nor-is-it-democratic-31062816.html

What an amazingly tabloid piece. Short sentences. Repetitious points. Same point repeated! In a short sentence.

In a very short paragraph.

Mentions the Vatican Embassy closure five times without saying anything of any substance about it: just repeating it pseudo-incredulously. Isn't it amazing that an exceedingly Catholic country like Spain that's ten times the size of Ireland hasn't closed its own one? Eh, no. Either he has very little indeed to say, or he's really dumbing this stuff down for the poor old "struggling with every aspect of broadsheets" Indo reader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

alaimacerc wrote: »
    What an amazingly tabloid piece. Short sentences. Repetitious points. Same point repeated! In a short sentence.

In a very short paragraph.

Mentions the Vatican Embassy closure five times without saying anything of any substance about it: just repeating it pseudo-incredulously. Isn't it amazing that an exceedingly Catholic country like Spain that's ten times the size of Ireland hasn't closed its own one? Eh, no. Either he has very little indeed to say, or he's really dumbing this stuff down for the poor old "struggling with every aspect of broadsheets" Indo reader.

This is the part that really got me :mad:
    The fact is that Fine Gael allowed itself to be bumped into legislating for abortion on the ground of a threat of suicide because it was bumped into it by the tragic death of Savita Halappanavar (from blood poisoning), by the Labour Party, from its own liberal members, and by the media.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Whenever conservatives can't think of something new to write about, they attack a political party for not being Christian enough. Broken record.

Listening to Eamonn Coughlan talking about his son coming out to the family and his (Eamonn's) support for same-sex civil marriage, how he asked hi son if it was OK with him to mention him at a meeting in support of it. RTE 1 Marian Finucane show now. Marian said she will have a gay opponent to same-sex civil marriage on later, presumably for the purpose of balance.

I was intrigued by this "statement of fact" in the article..
    Fine Gael explicitly promised that it would not legislate for abortion on the grounds of the X-case ruling of 1992. It won pro-life votes on this basis.
    Not that I would be surprised by a politician breaking a pre-election promise, its just that I don't remember any such promise being made.
    A google of "the promise" leads to the results of somebody else's search, which is quite a good report.

I would guess that the Iona Institute have been asked not to endorse Lucinda's new party directly, at least not yet.
    They are initially trying to sell Renua as something "new" and "progressive".

Is there some reason why the "modern" family and "traditional" family can't just live side by side? They make it out as if one means the other cant exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

recedite wrote: »
    I was intrigued by this "statement of fact" in the article..Not that I would be surprised by a politician breaking a pre-election promise, its just that I don't remember any such promise being made.
    A google of "the promise" leads to the results of somebody else's search, which is quite a good report.

I would guess that the Iona Institute have been asked not to endorse Lucinda's new party directly, at least not yet.
    They are initially trying to sell Renua as something "new" and "progressive".

The Lolek liars (for a group which are supposed to be defending morals in Ireland, their constant lying sure is strange) have been trotting out that one for a while (along with Loose Lips Creighton), only for it to be constantly refuted by the fact that the pre-election promise by FG was to implement a study group to look at the matter on health and constitutional ground (i.e. the constitutional requirement to allow abortion when the life of the mother is at stake) and implement its recommendations accordingly. This is what they eventually did after a woman died due to their inaction over the issue, the same inaction that Quinn wants them to return to.

Completely and utterly immoral of him to prioritise a group of cells (which are not alive) over the life of a grown woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Senator Fidelma Healy Eames strikes with a classic -

"Happy Mothers' day all! Hope we can continue to celebrate it after #SSM passed. In some US states Mothers & Father's Day banned #pcgonemad
    http://entertainment.ie/wtf/Irish-Senator-thinks-Mothers-Day-will-be-banned-due-to-gay-marriage/354572.htm

Nodin wrote: »

"Happy Mothers' day all! Hope we can continue to celebrate it after #SSM passed. In some US states Mothers & Father's Day banned #pcgonemad
    http://entertainment.ie/wtf/Irish-Senator-thinks-Mothers-Day-will-be-banned-due-to-gay-marriage/354572.htm

She claims what she says is true, there are 2 schools which banned mothers day. One of which is technically in Canada.
    https://twitter.com/senhealyeames/status/577100884183769088

• Advertisement

Two schools turn into "some US states"...sounds like lying to me.

And even then, banning and not celebrating are 2 different things. It is always possible that they decided that it being the US half the children have probably shot their mothers so dont celebrate it so nobody feels left out. Or the gays banned it.

"Taken out of context" I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No, never confuse deliberate falsehood with rank ignorance and stupidity. The senator has great form in the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Have to love Jerry Buttimer's response. 'is this really you?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Nodin wrote: »

She claims what she says is true, there are 2 schools which banned mothers day. One of which is technically in Canada.
    https://twitter.com/senhealyeames/status/577100884183769088

Kind of ironic that a woman who is so quick to call herself pro-life trying to promote a festival essentially invented by the Nazis.

• Advertisement

Christian College Cancels Bake Sale For Gay Youth, Students Raise $10,000 Anyway

http://www.queerty.com/christian-college-cancels-bake-sale-for-gay-youth-students-raise-10000-anyway-20150313

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Kind of ironic that a woman who is so quick to call herself pro-life trying to promote a festival essentially invented by the Nazis.

I think it comes from the traditional mothering Sundays in the UK where women in service were allowed a Sunday a year off so as to visit their mothers and mother churches. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothering_Sunday

Whereas the USA celebrates a different date and some churches such as the Mormons use the occasion to propandise on the benefits of motherhood.

lazygal wrote: »
    I think it comes from the traditional mothering Sundays in the UK where women in service were allowed a Sunday a year off so as to visit their mothers and mother churches. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothering_Sunday

Yeah, that's where I thought it came from too. My English granny always called it Mothering Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

im definity ly voting yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Christian College Cancels Bake Sale For Gay Youth, Students Raise $10,000 Anyway

http://www.queerty.com/christian-college-cancels-bake-sale-for-gay-youth-students-raise-10000-anyway-20150313

Interesting the Christian Right shooting themselves in the foot again. One comment from below the story made me smile, and shows up the complete lie at the heart of Christian "purity", talking about that same Christian college....

"I went there in 82-83 thinking I was a good christian boy, needing to escape being gay. That was the last place to try to not be gay because the place was full of them. There would all ways be some guy knocking on my door at night, and it wasn’t to study."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement