Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Marriage/Marriage Equality/End of World?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Bit slow on current events arent they.

Well yeah, they have about 400 years to catch up on.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

recedite wrote: »
    A Top Muslim confirms that if the referendum succeeds
    Gay people will be able to adopt children. These children will be brought up without either a father or a mother
    Poor little orphans, so sad.

Nod confused now.

Back to sleepy for Nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Nodin wrote: »
    Nod confused now.

Back to sleepy for Nod.

Back to the land of Nod? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Top Muslims have freedom of speech, even if they are speaking nonsense. Freedom of speech works both ways of course.
    But wouldn't it be great if some bigoted religionist was charged with incitement to hatred against LGBTs. At some point the spreading of lies and misinformation must cross the line, although I have no idea where that point is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

MrPudding wrote: »
    Well yeah, they have about 400 years to catch up on.
    It's 1436AH. By 1436AD, Europe had about a century to run before it got into peak internecine slaughter on sectarian grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

alaimacerc wrote: »
    It's 1436AH. By 1436AD, Europe had about a century to run before it got into peak internecine slaughter on sectarian grounds.

I think the Cathars would disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

just a reminder that you dont have to go to Texas to run into Christian loons , A minster for health that by the way believes the Earth is 6000 years old

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-32443730?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_politics&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

Police are investigating comments made by Northern Ireland Health Minister Jim Wells after he linked child abuse and gay relationships.
    He told a hustings event: "You don't bring a child up in a homosexual relationship. That child is far more likely to be abused and neglected."
    It prompted uproar from the audience who interrupted the minister.
    In a later statement, he said: "I accept that one line of what I said caused offence and deep concern."
    Mr Wells added: " I regret having wrongly made that remark about abuse and I'm sorry those words were uttered. The comment did not reflect my view nor that of my party."
    The police said they had received a complaint and officers were currently making enquiries.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

silverharp wrote: »
    just a reminder that you dont have to go to Texas to run into Christian loons , A minster for health that by the way believes the Earth is 6000 years old

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-32443730?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_politics&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

What a moron. He has appologised so it is alright... No, he still means it. Get him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Ive learnt to expect this sort of thing from Northern Ireland. Maybe they can bring peace between Protestants and Catholics to fight the new evil of the gays.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I think the Cathars would disagree.
    If I'd added the qualifier "... between denominations not exterminated thereby" I think it'd have been clear why they aren't disagreeing!

I think the Albigensian Crusade would struggle to "match" the Dutch Revolt, the Thirty Years War, and the Huguenot Wars, all the same.

A minster for health that by the way believes the Earth is 6000 years old
    I must apologise for further digressing off-topic on the nature of this person's religious wing-nuttery, but...

D'oh!

Setting aside the whole "second-guessing essentially all of modern science with one's dogma and personal feels" aspect... How does one remain enthused about a religion whose "god" is apparently a practical joker on a literally cosmic scale?

"Why yes, I created starlight in advanced transit across the universe, just to tempt you into errant thought there might be something real on the other side of it, to make objective observations about, and thereby condemn yourself to eternal torment. April Fool!"

Yes, certainly the Presbyterian Church USA (PCU) is very far from the NI Ian Paisley version! Individual ministers in Presbyterian churches have been conducting SSMs for many years, breaking church law, but the PCU recently voted to officially sanction SSM.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/us/presbyterians-give-final-approval-for-same-sex-marriage.html?_r=0
    Thanks, I'd missed that one! Pretty significant, as the PCUSA does, IIRC, do "recip" (don't think they have "in communion with" as a concept as such in such cases) with the CoS -- which the Paisleyites of course do not.

According to your link, though, the Episcopalians are actually only doing "blessings". I think that's in line with the CoE's position, according to my in-depth research. To wit, one episode of Rev I vague remember watching. The Anglicans have a somewhat greater degree of global coordination, so it'd be a bigger step for them to take.

In fact, Pew have the only member of the "blessings" column, in between a whole column of "permit marriage", and another whole column of "prohibit marriage". Very via media, indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

According to your link, though, the Episcopalians are actually only doing "blessings". I think that's in line with the CoE's position, according to my in-depth research. To wit, one episode of Rev I vague remember watching. The Anglicans have a somewhat greater degree of global coordination, so it'd be a bigger step for them to take.

Weeelll . . . it's a bit of a fudge. The Episcopal Church has not rewritten its marriage rite, and therefore only conduct a marriage "blessing" for SS couples, but in US states where SSM is legal, some bishops have directed that clergy may also sign the civil marriage certificates in conjunction with that blessing. So, in the eyes of the state, they have been same-sex married by that Episcopal clergyperson, no? See, e.g., in the Diocese of Pittsburgh:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/local/region/2014/08/05/Episcopal-Diocese-OKs-same-sex-marriage-certificates/stories/201408050134

And in July 2012, in the Diocese of New York, "Bishop Mark S. Sisk today sent a letter via email to the clergy of the Diocese of New York giving permission for them to officiate at same-sex marriages both in a religious capacity and as agents of New York State, commencing September 1, 2012." See the full letter here:
    http://www.dioceseny.org/news_items/229-clergy-may-conduct-same-sex-marriages-from-9-1

Weeelll . . . it's a bit of a fudge. The Episcopal Church has not rewritten its marriage rite, and therefore only conduct a marriage "blessing" for SS couples, but in US states where SSM is legal, some bishops have directed that clergy may also sign the civil marriage certificates in conjunction with that blessing. So, in the eyes of the state, they have been same-sex married by that Episcopal clergyperson, no? See, e.g., in the Diocese of Pittsburgh:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/local/region/2014/08/05/Episcopal-Diocese-OKs-same-sex-marriage-certificates/stories/201408050134

And in July 2012, in the Diocese of New York, "Bishop Mark S. Sisk today sent a letter via email to the clergy of the Diocese of New York giving permission for them to officiate at same-sex marriages both in a religious capacity and as agents of New York State, commencing September 1, 2012." See the full letter here:
    http://www.dioceseny.org/news_items/229-clergy-may-conduct-same-sex-marriages-from-9-1

That really is quite the fudge. In the grand Anglican tradition! Slightly different from the Rev scene, but in the same overall "incredibly incoherent fudge" spirit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

*Free shuttle from Hotel To Nuns Baby Market
    *Free Dinner and complimentary bottle of wine on contract signing

Don't forget the free Parker pen just for enquiring!

• Advertisement

Don't forget the free Parker pen just for enquiring!

"Parker"....hmmmm. Sounds a bit 'digging with the other foot'. It'll be a Bic.

"Parker"....hmmmm. Sounds a bit 'digging with the other foot'. It'll be a Bic.

I want a silver cross.

I want a silver cross.

...comes with a sensible jumper. All in the package.

...comes with a sensible jumper. All in the package.

Lambs wool?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

jesus has two fathers joseph and god that isntt gay i dont know what is lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Lambs wool?
    Of course. All from bottle-fed orphan lambs, hand reared by the nuns and fleeced at an appropriate age.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

recedite wrote: »
    Of course. All from bottle-fed orphan lambs, hand reared by the nuns and fleeced at an appropriate age.
    Never heard that gag before. It will be snitched and used. Regularly and often :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I think the Albigensian Crusade would struggle to "match" the Dutch Revolt, the Thirty Years War, and the Huguenot Wars, all the same.

Not in scale perhaps but certainly in the level of brutality.

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Would be funny if people started putting some of them up.

Its already gone Poe's law where a lot of people aren't sure which ones are jokes and which are serious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not natural, my sweet succulent ass.

346582.jpg

not natural, my sweet succulent ass.

346582.jpg

I'm not sure how lesbian gerbils work out, but from my own observation, there's a certain amount of "natural exuberance" in the two-males cages, at that.

Its already gone Poe's law where a lot of people aren't sure which ones are jokes and which are serious.

I may put this in my window

11196225_10153276641123980_5114914648927923039_n.jpg?oh=5381929371314f12cf9cee9e09239438&oe=55D6927D

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Well, this is fun. 20 mins well spent I think.... ;)

346599.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Letters in yesterday's Irish Times:
    Sir, – It is a first for me to write to a Dublin-based newspaper, of which yours is the leader in the field for letters.

I write because of the impending referendum on marriage, only to remind my relations in the Republic that right and wrong isn’t determined by a majority of humans, but by the majority of one – that one being the creator, who by the word of God given to us in the Holy Bible speaks clearly on the matter.

In the Republic of Ireland you are blessed in getting a referendum on this matter, and not just leaving this matter to the professional political system, and the mood of the chattering classes.

So I urge you and all your readers to take stock before you vote and ask “Who is on the Lord’s side?” – Yours, etc,

WILLIAM GEORGE,

Armagh.
    Sir, – I have decided that I will vote Yes to allow same-sex marriage, and to reduce the age at which one can become president on May 22nd. However, I have not yet decided how I will vote in the surrogacy referendum, or the adoption of children by same-sex couples referendum, or the “sure can’t they just be happy with civil partnerships?” referendum. I am grateful to the group Mothers and Fathers Matter for erecting posters informing me of the existence of these additional referendums, but I am puzzled as to why it has not yet decided to put up a single poster which addresses the issue of civil marriage equality, given that it is supposed to be its primary concern. – Yours, etc,

BRIAN CAREY,

Clonmel, Co Tipperary.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Letters in yesterday's Irish Times:

Well, that spells it out clearly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It has already,
    I'm actually very tempted to print out a few of the parody posters and stick them up around,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No side posting leaflets in Tramore, Co Waterford

7a588807f3760c10454847120d205cc4.jpg
    955239037ea780e15837849dc2913ea0.jpg

I'm having waay too much fun with these.

346621.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are there any sources for moderate or high res versions of the no posters?

are there any sources for moderate or high res versions of the no posters?

I couldn't find any but that doesn't mean they're not online. Might be easier to remake (in their style, with your personal take on their message of course!).

Shrap wrote: »
    I'm having waay too much fun with these.

346621.jpg

Did you do that and can I share?

Please please please. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Erm, I already shared it. It's too good not to... *no respect for intellectual property *

Of COURSE! Flattered muchly :D
    B_Wayne wrote: »
    Erm, I already shared it. It's too good not to... *no respect for intellectual property *

Good, I made it for sharing. Like cookies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

via broadsheet.ie :pac:

FullSizeRender24-459x1024.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

"Jim Wells resigns as Northern Ireland health minister over 'anti-gay' remarks"
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/apr/27/jim-wells-resigns-northern-ireland-health-minister

And just to show he's like that off the podium as well......

"Police have confirmed they are investigating after an incident during an election canvas in County Down was reported to them.
    It is understood it involved the DUP candidate Jim Wells and a lesbian couple."
    http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2015-northern-ireland-32475421

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Wells' wife suffered two strokes. I thought that was the reason he's resigning.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I just had a friend point out an old post I made.

Can you imagine how annoyed people like me are now, after another year of this crap?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89133886&postcount=2198

Turtwig wrote: »
    Wells' wife suffered two strokes. I thought that was the reason he's resigning.
    His wife seems to have become ill first, then he seems to have made his unhelpful comments.

While a cynic might believe he's exiting because of the latter using the former as partial cover, in truth, only he, and perhaps those close to him politically and socially, know why he actually decided to resign.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dup-s-jim-wells-resigns-after-same-sex-child-abuse-comments-1.2190498

"Police have confirmed they are investigating after an incident during an election canvas in County Down was reported to them.
    It is understood it involved the DUP candidate Jim Wells and a lesbian couple."
    http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2015-northern-ireland-32475421
    This story is cheery in that it really helps lower the bar of expectations on the "well, that canvas went well!" front.

OTOH... DUP-voting lesbian couple? That further destroys one's hopes for broad-spectrum social justice.

• Advertisement

More on the persecution of people with anti-gay beliefs in Northern Ireland.

Firstly, Ian Paisley, son of Ian Paisley (deceased northern politician) says that Justin McAleese, son of Mary McAleese (living southern politician), should "get over" something or other related to Justin's coming out as gay:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/paisley-jnr-urges-gay-unionists-to-vote-for-dup-in-general-election-1.2189780
    I mean, seriously, all of this stuff where people are self absorbed about their own gender and how everything is about them. Most people are kind of fed up with it. They want to live and let live. Get over it. Get over yourself.
    Meanwhile, over Stormont-way, the Northern Assembly rejects a vote on marriage equality, with every DUP member voting the proposal down:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/assembly-rejects-motion-on-same-sex-marriage-again-1.2190933

YEC badge-making on RTE Drivetime right now! I hear Ken Curtain's dulcet tones in the background... and the foreground, now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Listening to Drive-Time at Cork City YES vote canvass HQ, plus interviews with passers-by (one a "down with this sort of thing" voter) while reading this linked-article in Pink News about a West Tyrone independent candidate for election on 7th May next. Well, she's forthright about her stance on homosexuality.... http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/04/27/this-parliamentary-candidate-wants-to-re-criminalise-homosexuality-no-shes-not-running-for-ukip/?utm_source=PNFB&utm_medium=socialFB&utm_campaign=PNFacebook

aloyisious wrote: »
    this linked-article in Pink News about a West Tyrone independent candidate for election on 7th May next.
    She wants a "biblically correct" political programme. That would make a great "true or false?" round in a vox pop down here... (Old Testament Pointless special, anyone?)

Hang on, she "opposes feminism with all her might", wants "stay-at-home mothers". IIRC Biblical heid-th-ba' Paul said "But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." But she's running... to be an MP?

Obviously she's not the type of person she's preaching to.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement