Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

They are paying elite money to someone who has yet to have a 1000 yard season. Yes he has shown great potential but he has had a lot of injury and attitude problems. It's certainly a bold move, that could work out really well.

Boldin is a much safer play, only giving up a 6th round pick and if he does nothing no real harm done, lower upside though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

adrian522 wrote: »
    They are paying elite money to someone who has yet to have a 1000 yard season. Yes he has shown great potential but he has had a lot of injury and attitude problems. It's certainly a bold move, that could work out really well.

Boldin is a much safer play, only giving up a 6th round pick and if he does nothing no real harm done, lower upside though.

He might have attitude problems but he always plays hard. I think its an amazing signing by the seahawks.

Don't get me wrong Boldin would be my favourite WR but Harvin is something special.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The 49ers have signed kicker Phil Dawson, so we can take that off the list of needs...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

The 49ers have signed kicker Phil Dawson, so we can take that off the list of needs...

Superb kicker, great signing. Much needed for the 49ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

He's 38, the same age as Akers. Dawson has a proven track record and is another low-risk, good, solid signing. Without doubt Akers was fantastic in 2011. I wonder to what extent the hernia contributed to his poor performance in the 2012 regular season. Tough gig being a kicker, little job security and they're practically ostracised by the rest of the team. All of which is a bit strange given their importance.

• Advertisement

I'd consider defensive line top priority. Safety second. CB would be nice but with Brown, Culliver and Rodgers all coming back, no panic there. However we have lost Sopoaga and RJF from the D-Line and it was an area that struggled mightily when Justin Smith got injured, they brought in Dorsey from Kansas but I still think it is the area that needs to be addressed most.

At safety we've lost Goldson and also Whitner was awful in coverage last year. We have brought in Dahl from the Rams but I still think we need to look at safety early in the draft.

I could see a corner back being drafted in mid rounds, same with TE (to replace Delanie Walker) and OLB help in order to backup Smith and Brooks.

We'll need a kicker and a backup QB as well either through FA or the draft.

WR was an area of need but with Manningham coming back, Boldin coming in and also Crabtree, Williams and Jenkins there I don't think they'll take a receiver early.

As I said above though, plenty of options to trade up or stockpile picks for next year.

Agreed - pass rush was badly missed. But having said that, someone like Wilson can live with the blitz - slippery little fella. Our CBs took a beating in the SB. I'd love to see Revis as a 9er because any team can only stay at their peak for so long. However, signing Revis is not going to happen anytime soon as it goes against our modus operandi. Also the draft looks deep in CBs and safeties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

He's 38, the same age as Akers. Dawson has a proven track record and is another low-risk, good, solid signing. Without doubt Akers was fantastic in 2011. I wonder to what extent the hernia contributed to his poor performance in the 2012 regular season

I'd say the Hernia played some part in it. Especially since it is one injury that comes with a high reoccurence rate.

The 49ers have traded for Colt McCoy.

We gave up a 5th and a 7th round pick, and received a 6th round pick. Essentially we have given up a 7 th round pick plus moving back 9 spots from the late 5th to early 6th round.

What do you think? I think it's a good move to get a competent backup with some starting experience and only costing $1.5m in cap space.

The 49ers now have 13 draft picks in the upcoming draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

The 49ers have traded for Colt McCoy.

We gave up a 5th and a 7th round pick, and received a 6th round pick. Essentially we have given up a 7 th round pick plus moving back 9 spots from the late 5th to early 6th round.

What do you think? I think it's a good move to get a competent backup with some starting experience and only costing $1.5m in cap space.

The 49ers now have 13 draft picks in the upcoming draft.

It's a very good pick-up. McCoy is a very competent QB. Personally I think he would have done a better job than Weeden last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Nnamdi picked up for three mil. Nice signing. Will be drafting players to back up these players to begin with and if they are good enough they will take their jobs.

• Advertisement

madalig12 wrote: »
    Nnamdi picked up for three mil. Nice signing. Will be drafting players to back up these players to begin with and if they are good enough they will take their jobs.

He only getting $1.35m in base salary, but the Eagles are still paying him $4m from his last contract.

There is a lot of talk of moving Culliver to FS next year and having Brown,Aso and Rogers as starting CB's.

Otherwise I'd expect Nnamdi to play the role of backup to start with.

I'd expect a safety to be drafted early (Reid,Elam or Cyprien)

There is nothing to stop the 49ers from cutting Nnamdi prior to the regular season if necessary as he has no guaranteed money.

Assuming he makes the roster there should be no reason for the 49ers to reach for a CB early in the draft. I'd like to see them take a chance on the honey badger if he's still there late 3rd round/early 4th.

I'd like to see them take a chance on the honey badger if he's still there late 3rd round/early 4th.

I was thinking the same for the titans. Take the honey badger with our 3.10 pick but after his pro day and combine and good interviews, I'm starting to think he'll be the 4th or 5th cb taken and will go in the 2nd round.

I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to grab him in the third, I just think he;s too much a risk in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Good signing by the niners to get Nnamdi at a max of 3 million this year. As long as they use him correctly he will be a superb addition to their secondary. It's very easy to say that Asomugha was poor but he was playing in a system that doesnt suit his skillset. Im sure that the Raider fans on the forum will agree but Nnamdi was at his best when he was in press coverage and playing straight up man to man defence. In coverage he was never an elite corner but the Raiders did a great job of playing to his strengths and shift the coverage of their safetys and a slot corner to cover the deep threat while Asomugha would concentrate on locking down the number one receiver. The Eagles didnt do this, instead they had him playing in zone coverage for most of the snaps and this is what he struggled with. Look at the tape from last year with the Eagles and you'll see when he is man up he was still quite effective.

Obviously with a $60 million contract the Eagles wanted him to be a shutdown corner for both man and zone defence but with a mixture of a team crumbling and being asked to do different things on defence Asomugha was very poor for us. Hopefully moving back to the Bay Area will suit him better

frostie500 wrote: »
    Good signing by the niners to get Nnamdi at a max of 3 million this year. As long as they use him correctly he will be a superb addition to their secondary. It's very easy to say that Asomugha was poor but he was playing in a system that doesnt suit his skillset. Im sure that the Raider fans on the forum will agree but Nnamdi was at his best when he was in press coverage and playing straight up man to man defence. In coverage he was never an elite corner but the Raiders did a great job of playing to his strengths and shift the coverage of their safetys and a slot corner to cover the deep threat while Asomugha would concentrate on locking down the number one receiver. The Eagles didnt do this, instead they had him playing in zone coverage for most of the snaps and this is what he struggled with. Look at the tape from last year with the Eagles and you'll see when he is man up he was still quite effective.

Obviously with a $60 million contract the Eagles wanted him to be a shutdown corner for both man and zone defence but with a mixture of a team crumbling and being asked to do different things on defence Asomugha was very poor for us. Hopefully moving back to the Bay Area will suit him better

That's mostly true, but Nandi would never lock down the number one receiver. He would lock down the right side of the field. Unlike players like Revis, Sherman, Bailey who would move to cover the number one receiver, Nandi ALWAYS stayed on the right side of the field.

I was thinking the same for the titans. Take the honey badger with our 3.10 pick but after his pro day and combine and good interviews, I'm starting to think he'll be the 4th or 5th cb taken and will go in the 2nd round.

I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to grab him in the third, I just think he;s too much a risk in the second.

Definitely a risk but has the potential to be the standout in this draft.

I think it could work for SF as we have many picks to spare and don't need him to produce right away if we took him. IF you needed your 3rd round pick to be a starter from day 1 it's a much bigger risk, if you have multiple mid round picks and it doesn't work out, not much harm done.

I think it could work for SF as we have many picks to spare and don't need him to produce right away if we took him. IF you needed your 3rd round pick to be a starter from day 1 it's a much bigger risk, if you have multiple mid round picks and it doesn't work out, not much harm done.

True, I expect Bellicheck to have a look though and wouldnt be surprised to see him end up there as a second/third round pick. Bill loves to "fix" players.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 pepperfoot

The 49ers will continue their great ability from last year i bealive. but you cant know what will happen after 6 week...the QB was on fire for the last part of the season but will he stay that good for an entire season ?? we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

I see Akers is gone to the Lions, not a bad move for a veteran kicker and he could have a season like 2011, as he was hiding an injury for most of last year.

Dymo wrote: »
    I see Akers is gone to the Lions, not a bad move for a veteran kicker and he could have a season like 2011, as he was hiding an injury for most of last year.

I don't buy that injury story, he kicked well enough in pregame and practice but couldn't get it done in games.

His confidence was shot to bits, I wish him the best of luck but I think I'm glad weve moved on from him.

• Advertisement

Get your rocks off. NFL schedule for 2013 regular season is up.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2013/REG/49ERS

Packers, @Seahawks, Rams, @Colts, Texans, Cardinals, @Titans, @Jags, bye, Panthers, @Saints, @Redskins, Rams, Seahawks, @Buccaneers, Falcons, @Cardinals.

Overall not bad (compared to last season). First 2 or 3 games are tough, but 2 are at home. The middle rump from Colts to the Panthers looks manageable. From @Saints up to the final game a little more demanding and the injuries will kick in by then.

Tough schedule, particularly the first 5 weeks. If we can get out of that 3-2 and think we will be looking good. Saints and redskins in back to back road games will be tough as well.

Falcons visit for the last ever regular season game in candlestick.

Larry Grant is looking at a 4 game ban for taking PED's.

Currently a FA he had visited the Chiefs and Patriots.

He'll find it tough to get a contract anywhere now until week 5 at the earliest.

EDIT: Also Culliver making an arse of himself again. He's lucky if he's now on a last warning, a lot are calling for him to be cut.

The Seahawks games next season will be epic and this video has got me right in the mood...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/movie-trailers/0ap2000000160017/49ers-vs-Seahawks-Western-Promises

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

EDIT: Also Culliver making an arse of himself again. He's lucky if he's now on a last warning, a lot are calling for him to be cut.

How on earth he didn't learn his lesson last time is utterly beyond me.

I imagine the 9ers will use a couple of their ludicrous number of draft picks on the secondary and that together with Asomugha coming in should have Culliver worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 pepperfoot

nice to have a 49ers thread. all the other teams have one. as im not a 49ers fan. i will sure follow this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

How many draft picks have we in total again? I've lost count.

13 I think. 3 are comp picks that cant be traded.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

How about we trade you both our 7th round picks, for one of your 1st and 2nd round picks. Pretty fair exchange I think.:D

• Advertisement

I heard 13 as well, but NFL.com has us down for 14. According to them we have picks: 31, 34, 61, 74, 93, 128, 131, 157, 164, 180, 227, 237, 246, 252.

Anyone prepared to make a prediction for the first two rounds? I imagine a FS and DE for Justin Smith's successor are the main priorities.
    Rumour has it that a number of teams are looking to trade down. Given the number of picks we have, can you see us moving up for "higher impact" players?

Advertisement