Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I predict us trading one of our 2nd's for a first next year. I expect us to come out of this draft with maybe 6 or 7 players and a few picks for next year and expect us to move up at some point though not necessarily in the first round.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I heard 13 as well, but NFL.com has us down for 14. According to them we have picks: 31, 34, 61, 74, 93, 128, 131, 157, 164, 180, 227, 237, 246, 252.

Anyone prepared to make a prediction for the first two rounds? I imagine a FS and DE for Justin Smith's successor are the main priorities.
    Rumour has it that a number of teams are looking to trade down. Given the number of picks we have, can you see us moving up for "higher impact" players?

They don't seem to have accounted for the Colt MCCoy trade.

How about we trade you both our 7th round picks, for one of your 1st and 2nd round picks. Pretty fair exchange I think.:D

I think we're good for 7th round picks but I do see us making a lot of trades similar to last year, trading down and stockpiling for next year. Similar to what New England have been doing for years.

Let the fun and games begin...

As of now the picks we have are:

(1) 31. Own Pick
    (2) 34. From Kansas City Chiefs via trade
    (2) 61. Own Pick
    (3) 74. From Carolina Panthers via trade
    (3) 93. Own Pick
    (4) 128.Own Pick
    (4) 131. Compensatory pick
    (5) 157. From Indianapolis Colts via trade
    (6) 173. From Cleveland Browns via trade
    (6) 180. From Miami Dolphins via trade
    (7) 227. Own Pick
    (7) 246. Compensatory pick
    (7) 252. Compensatory pick

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

adrian522 - what's your call for picks 31 and 34?

• Advertisement

I think a trade up into the first round, using pick 31 + a third or 4th rounder.

I could see a trade back in the second round happening, giving up pick 34 and gaining a first round pick for next season along with a 2nd/4rd round pick this year.

I'd like them to move up and select Carradine or Richardson in round 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

So we traded up to 18th and selected Eric Reid, a safety from LSU. Good pick?

mickmc7 wrote: »
    So we traded up to 18th and selected Eric Reid, a safety from LSU. Good pick?

Not sure about this one - as in I don't know. Friends who watch college ball say he's excellent. Reid is meant to be a physical fella. I wonder after aj Jenkins did they decide to pick someone ready to compete. Think the ravens showed us how it's done. Plenty of safeties out there, whereas DE are being drafted. Still though, pick 34 helps.

edit:

I think Reid is a good pick, he will be a starter from day one and will slot in at FS.

Physical player, good in run support and should be an upgrade in coverage too. Needs to reign in his aggressiveness.

We moved up quite a bit to get him, he may have been there later, but a lot of people had him going to the bengals so we had to get ahead of them.

Obviously rated him higher than Elam and Cyprien, not sure if they rated him above Vaccaro, 49ers say they did, but vaccaro was gone by then anyway.

We have the 2nd pick tonight, if we don't trade it I'd love for us to take Carradine, though Ertz would be a nice pick too (if a bit of a luxury pick)

It's gotta be Tank (for the name alone!). Without pass rush we're exposed.
    But...there's good depth to defensive linemen in this draft so maybe someone else? Another safety - it's always tough to find good ones. Tight end - Ertz ticks all the boxes. WR or CB - we're pretty loaded on these but could always improve.

Honey Badger in round 3 anyone??

• Advertisement

Well, that wasn't a bad draft. A solid B+ me thinks (an A would be biased), giving up a 3rd round pick to move up for Reid was a tad preemptive but they wanted their man and we did very well in the 2nd and 4th rounds anyway. I guess it'll be 2 years before we can truly judge it, but it looks promising especially if the knee injuries can be overcome. CB was bit low on the priority, which is a little worrying as the other NFC West teams have done well on WR recruitment over the last while. But then again we look covered in that area.

All in all we're an improved team from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Whilst watching some highlights of Werner I've seen a good bit of Tank! If he recovers fully from injury he could be the best pass rusher in the class IMO!

Yeah, he supposed to be unreal alright..

A bit of love for Kap in the NFL top 100 list ...

http://www.nfl.com/top100/2013#video=0ap2000000165137

Excellent post over on Niners Nation about the 49ers defensive alignment and how it is more reminiscent of a 4-3 Under formation that a traditional 3-4, it's pretty technical but I found it very informative...

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/5/2/4294242/football-university-49ers-defensive-fronts-vic-fangio-3-4-nickel-4-3-under

Just on the draft again...I find the analysis on this site to be quite good. The same guy called Kaepernick in 2011. The skinny on this year's 9ers draft was that it was overhyped and Quinton Patton was our best value pick. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jarvis Jones went 17th, one pick before us so not sure what point he's trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

What are peoples thoughts about ex-Olympian Okoye going to 49ers.
    He does look to be a new leap in athleticism. Quick rundown:
    - 304lb/6' 5 1/2""
    - 40 - 4.78 secs
    - Vertical 35 inch
    - Broad jump 10 ft 5inch
    - Looks agile and can move in on-field drills
    I struggle to think of many who have been that athletic at that kind of size. Should be able to go for four quarters as well looking at fact he ain't overweight.
    I wonder if he is a success will this promote active recruiting from Olympic junior squads? Especially from events like discuss where competitors are by the very nature of the event built for NFL.
    I know big guys like Brock Lesnar have given this a shot before but they're not anyways close to the explosiveness and athleticism of what you'd see in an Olympic athlete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

I know big guys like Brock Lesnar have given this a shot before but they're not anyways close to the explosiveness and athleticism of what you'd see in an Olympic athlete.

Lesnar played High School Football as a Offensive and Defensive lineman but favoured wrestling.

Edit: Stupid thing for Lesnar he actually had talent but the dumb ass ignored the no sack rule in Pre-season and Drove Damon Huard into the ground and he was always getting into scuffles in practice. His attitude was the reason he didn't make it in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

From Peter King's column:
    Niners, as of this morning, are the only team with six picks in the first three rounds next year -- and that comes with an asterisk, as I'll explain. San Francisco has its own choices in the first three rounds, plus what could be three additional third-rounders. The rundown:

An extra three from Tennessee, from a deal this year in which the Titans traded from 40 to 34 in the second round.

A possible extra three as a compensatory pick for Dashon Goldson signing a rich deal with Tampa Bay, and the 49ers not signing a major free agent on Goldson's level. If not a third-, then almost certainly a fourth-round pick.
    A third- or second-rounder from Kansas City, the remnant of the Alex Smith deal. Now it can be told: The second draft choice San Francisco will receive from the Smith deal will be K.C.'s second-rounder in 2014 if the Chiefs go 8-8 or better this season. It will be a third-rounder in 2014 if Kansas City is under .500 this season.

So: San Francisco will probably have first-, second- and four third-rounders next year. But if the Chiefs surprise, it'll more likely be a one, two twos and three threes. As we've seen, GM Trent Baalke is dangerous with extra picks in his hands. If Colin Kaepernick is very good, the Niners should be annual contenders for years with the picks laid out that.

That is scary!

That trade for Alex smith was a phenomenal bit of business. Same thing goes for the Titans trade, moved down a few spots, still grabbed Carradine and another 3rd round pick for 2014.

Now I'm hoping the Chiefs do well and the Titans do badly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Sword of Gondor

Rumours that Michael Crabtree has torn his Achilles. Terrible news for the 49ers.

**** this.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Horrendous news. He really started to become a key player in the second half of last season, I was really looking forward to seeing him flourish more this year. Balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

He should have done like the posts on page one and sat it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Rumours that Michael Crabtree has torn his Achilles. Terrible news for the 49ers.

Major blow for the Niners to, presumably, lose Crabtree for the full season. It will put a lot more pressure on Boldin to come in and be productive but their offence will be built around a strong ground game and using their tight ends to make plays over the middle

The 49ers WR position is cursed. we had Williams 2 punt meltdowns against the Giants, we had Williams and Manningham both tearing ACL's on the same play, we had AJ Jenkins having the worst ever first season for a 1st round receiver and now Crabtree is likely done for the year.

To start next season we could be looking at Boldin, Jenkins,Patton and Lockette.

Not in a great mood right now.

Saw this just now on twitter from PFF:

Number of targets in Kaepernick's 10 starts: Crabtree 89, Moss 38, Davis, 38, Walker 31, Mario 17, Gore 14, Miller 9, Others 21 #49ers

That Boldin move in the offseason is looking even better now.

Well, probably lots of 2 and 3 TE sets, and plenty of creativity with all the running backs, particularly lamichael James.

Struggling to see an upside to any of this now.

• Advertisement

The joys of OTA's, unfortunately.

Advertisement