Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Some updates from Camp;

The 49ers have signed Austin Collie and Lavelle Hawkins. This doesn't say much for 2012 first round choice AJ Jenkins.

In fact for all the deserved credit we got for the 2011 draft and for this year, the 2012 version doesn't look great.

Collie has always looked good but has struggled with concussions.

I'd hope the 49ers wouldn't put him on the field with out ensuring medically he is ok.

There is also talk from Vic Fangio that "The jury is still out" on Asmougha. I think he is virtually certain to make the roster but comments like that don't engender confidence.

I'd imagine Rodgers and Brown will be starters in the base defense with Rodgers moving to the slot in Nikel with Asmougha coming in on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

Signing two wrs can't be too inspiring for Jenkins, but some depth is needed. Collie is in a tough division so we'll soon find out about his concussions. I still have high hopes for Quinton Patton! Maybe Jenkins is a confidence player??

I'd be a little hesitant to write off the 2012 draft just yet, but it isn't looking good. Going for the deep threat in Jenkins and the toy pick in LMJ someone described it more of a tinkering draft than a building draft.

Rnd: 1 Overall Pick: 30 A.J. Jenkins (WR)
    Rnd: 2 Overall Pick: 61 LaMichael James (RB)
    Rnd: 4 Overall Pick: 117 Joe Looney (C/G)
    Rnd: 5 Overall Pick: 165 Darius Fleming (OLB)
    Rnd: 6 Overall Pick: 180 Trent Robinson (SS)
    Rnd: 6 Overall Pick: 199 Jason Slowey (T)
    Rnd: 7 Overall Pick: 237 Cam Johnson (DE)

Jenkins - Needed to bulk up, which he did a bit. Let's see how pre-season games go for him, but reports so far suggest it's not looking too good. LMJ has been a success, wonder if he can last a 16-game regular season. Looney - developing into a solid backup for one of the best O-lines in the league? Fleming - Lost a year due to injury (ACL?), on the PUP list for the 2013 training camp, won't get a sniff ahead of Willis and Bowman. Robinson - fighting for a place on the 53-man roster. Slowey - cut after training camp in 2012. Johnson - practise squad at best.

On the upside, they did generate a number of extra picks for 2013 using the 2012 draft (e.g. Peter King's analysis).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ah yeah depth is certainly needed, without Crabtree and Williams and Manningham still not practicing, but I think the first preseaon game will be telling.

I expect Boldin to be wrapped in cotton wool.

Good oppurtunity for Jenkins and Collie to stake a claim for the starting role.

anyone been watching the preseason.

Nice view here of our only TD so far in the preseason. BJ Daniels to Chuck Jacobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

What I've learned from the pre-season for San Francisco is if anything happens Kapernick, we are in trouble. The Drafts haven't shined for me yet and Jenkin's will be lucky to make the roster.

• Advertisement

Pre-season...meh. Half the drafts are injured! Defense looks good again. Special teams haven't been too hot.

Mario Manningham will start the season on the PUP list, as such he will be unable to practice for the first 6 weeks of the season. No way Jenkins doesn't make the 53 man roster now.

1. Boldin
    2. Williams
    3. Patton
    4. Collie
    5. Jenkins
    Then pick 1 from Hall, Lockette, Moore,etc.

I expect osgood and Hawkins to be cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

It looks like you guys got the good end of a WR trade with KC. Offloading Jenkins and picking up Jonathan Baldwin, not bad.

CJC86 wrote: »
    It looks like you guys got the good end of a WR trade with KC. Offloading Jenkins and picking up Jonathan Baldwin, not bad.

Walterfootball.com sums it up appropriately: "The 49ers dealt their turd sandwich to the Chiefs for a diarrhea burrito. Both Jon Baldwin and A.J. Jenkins are terrible receivers who won't be in the league much longer because they just don't care about improving or learning the game of football. I feel like giving both teams Cs is appropriate; they're each getting rid of trash, but taking back garbage in return."

Harsh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

On paper I think 49ers got the better end of the deal as Baldwin has at least shown he can contribute in the NFL. Big chance for both players as neither side are great at WR

• Advertisement

Bad news to be tossing away a first round pick this soon, so may better options available for that pick last year. Baldwin doesn't excite me at all. Boldin will be getting a lot targets as will Davis.

After that look to kyle williams and manningham(once he returns).

Not expecting anything from the rest of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Is this trade (& the new rookie wage scale) an indicator that 1st round busts will be given a lot shorter timeframe to contribute that what they use to be?

Yeah, that's a good point, the fact that the guaranteed cash isnt huge means they can be cut or traded without destroying the cap, but it's still a waste of a valuable draft pick.

2012 wont go down as a vintage draft for us I don't think.

Well folks, we're about to start the regular season. It's fair to say that the fanbase's hopes and expectations are high. And why not? The coaching staff are well integrated. We now fear some of them being poached. We've a QB of immense potential, an impressive run game, and a fantastic defensive line. Our secondary has a few new faces and we already know where to improve. Special teams coverage has declined a bit, but Andy Lee and Phil Dawson are big pluses. Our receiving corp is a bit thin, but hopefully Burnin' Vernon sees more ball. Ands who knows what Patton can produce.

I'd be happy with an 11-5 season. As long as we get to the play-offs in decent condition, then it's like a whole new season and Crabtree will be back. If Kap gets a bad injury, then forget it. I think key to our season is if we can maintain our pass rush and Eric Reid isn't a dud. Divisionwise we're in for some bruising encounters - hopefully the likes of Frank Gore come out in good nick. It's hard to see any new teams making the play offs this year (The Bears maybe and some say 3 from the NFC West might make it). But the teams that do make it there isn't a whole lot between them.

Enjoy your viewing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

So Boldin didn't do too bad last night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Boldin for a 6th rounder

Ravens were robbed :(

Good game last night to say the least. I thought the 49ers played well for the most part but there were things to be concerned about at the same time.

1. Clock Management, Kaepernick constantly lets the playclock run all the way down. In general this is fine but twice yesterday we had to take timeouts to prevent a penalty, once was after a big play and too much time was taken up celebrating. This is going to come back to bite us later in the year if it's not sorted out.

2. The Run game was pretty non-existent, this is worrying as it's supposed to be a strength. If we can't run on the packers what chance have we against the Seahawks. Hopefully it's a once off and we can get back to moving it on the ground next week.

3. Open Field Tackling was pretty poor, especially in the first half where a lot of big plays were a result of players missing their tackles.

4. No real sign of a number 2 receiver developing opposite Boldin. Williams probably the best of them.

Positive:

1. Boldin looked good, got open often and generally looked excellent.

2. Davis looked very good yesterday, good to see him more involved in the passing game.

3. Kaepernick showed he can absolutely play very well without making huge gains via the run.

4. Eric Reid looked good, made a few mistakes but overall looks to have a lot of potential as a starting safety.

5. Asmougha looked solid, got beaten a few times against Nelson but for the most part held up ok.

Onwards to the seahawks on Sunday night.

It's incredible Kaepernick passed for 412 yards. When was the last time a 9er QB threw for more?
    Tim Rattay, Oct 2004. See wikipedia

Gore got us the yards when we needed them on 3rd down. Credit to the Packers for stuffing the middle. Cheap shot from Matthews on Kaepernick. A minor quibble on Joe Buck and Troy Smith is that they're pro-Green Bay every game.

Where to start? Basically the Seattle defense swallowed us up. To be fair, the game was tighter than the scoreline suggests. Not too many sustained drives from both sides. The turnovers and penalties cost us in a tight game, especially in the 2nd half. The Seahawks looked a lot hungrier, and hit hard. The crowd really does seem like a 12th man. In comparison Frank Gore looked pedestrian - the holes just didn't appear. The Offensive line got shunted around and forced Kap to scramble about the place. Kap had no options at wr once Boldin was shut down. Willis and Bowman worked hard but looked anonymous. Davis didn't get a look in. On the plus side, reid continues to impress. It's difficult to see who can beat them at home.

Where to start? Basically the Seattle defense swallowed us up. To be fair, the game was tighter than the scoreline suggests. Not too many sustained drives from both sides. The turnovers and penalties cost us in a tight game, especially in the 2nd half. The Seahawks looked a lot hungrier, and hit hard. The crowd really does seem like a 12th man. In comparison Frank Gore looked pedestrian - the holes just didn't appear. The Offensive line got shunted around and forced Kap to scramble about the place. Kap had no options at wr once Boldin was shut down. Willis and Bowman worked hard but looked anonymous. Davis didn't get a look in. On the plus side, reid continues to impress. It's difficult to see who can beat them at home.

That was absolutely awful.

I don't think the game was tighter than the scoreline suggests. The Seahawks hammered us on both sides of the ball. Again.

Kaepernicks worst game, 5 turnovers, no run game, no WR able to get open. Defense couldn't stop Lynch.

We gave away way too many penalties. Again. Aldon Smith committed some absolutely stupid penalties. 23 penalties for 206 yards in 2 games.

Ian Williams has a broken ankle, Reid and Vernon Davis were injured too. I don't see any bright side to this performance other than the last time this happened we went on a roll and ended up in the superbowl but it was a real case of crashing down to earth after the Packers game.

• Advertisement

What is Sky's obsession with the 49ers? We are on sky again next week which means game pass blackouts again. Not that you can't get around them, just annoying.

Yeah, "a tight game" is not quite accurate. Perhaps "a tense game" is more fitting.
    Wilson only completed 8-out-of-19 and took 4 sacks. Lynch and our infractions in the 2nd half destroyed us.
    Roll on the Colts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

adrian522 wrote: »
    What is Sky's obsession with the 49ers? We are on sky again next week which means game pass blackouts again. Not that you can't get around them, just annoying.

It's the London game no doubt. They were at the same crack last year when the Pats were playing in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

We gave away way too many penalties. Again. Aldon Smith committed some absolutely stupid penalties. 23 penalties for 206 yards in 2 games.

As a neutral observer, to watch the amount of silly penalties given away by the 49er's was ridiculous. And the amount of times some Seahawk players, got away with provoking and baiting a lot of those penalties was equal ridiculous. That said, the 49er's shouldn't have reacted to the provocation. Because it played right into their opponents game plan.

Yeah I agree with that. But it's not like it's a once off against the Seahawks, it was an issue last year and it's carried on to start the season this year.

Having said that the return game in December should be pretty tasty. I can't imagine any scenario where the division won't be still on the line in week 14.

My ticket is pinned up to my desk in work, helps me get through days like this when get by on 4 hours sleep thanks to the weather delay.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

My ticket is pinned up to my desk in work, helps me get through days like this when get by on 4 hours sleep thanks to the weather delay.

Annoying since moving yet another time zone away I just can not hack the late games. Watched the game til the weather delay then had to just knock it off (probably for the best. Watched the rest in work anyway).

Would have been a very different game with Crabtree I think - Seahawks were able to shut down Davis and Boldin too easily. The three of them would have created options. The stuttering run game is a serious concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

That was absolutely awful.

I don't think the game was tighter than the scoreline suggests. The Seahawks hammered us on both sides of the ball. Again.

Kaepernicks worst game, 5 turnovers, no run game, no WR able to get open. Defense couldn't stop Lynch.

Ian Williams has a broken ankle, Reid and Vernon Davis were injured too. I don't see any bright side to this performance other than the last time this happened we went on a roll and ended up in the superbowl but it was a real case of crashing down to earth after the Packers game.

I got a bright side for ya..............SEATTLE SEAHAWKS ROCK!!!:):)

Up2NoGood wrote: »
    I got a bright side for ya..............SEATTLE SEAHAWKS ROCK!!!:):)

Thanks for that, very constrictive post. Do come back with more of your insights, just give me a bit of time to digest this one, 20 years or so should do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

5 more Chiefs wins for a 2nd round pick :D

• Advertisement

Or Alex Smith 3-0 Kaepernick 1-1.

Advertisement