Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

From Jim Harbaugh via BASG.

"We’ve been kind of down on getting turnovers and sometimes things just kind of start breaking right for you. Kind of like the olive jar. Everybody’s familiar with the olive jar.”

I’m not.

“Well, you open it up and a brand new can of olives and turn it over and no olives come out. They’re packed in there so darn tight, but if you just get one to come out, just pluck one out of there and then they want to come out, they’re just flying out of the jar. So, hopefully that’s the case for us defensively. You just wonder, are you ever going to get a turnover, or interception or fumble and how can we get one. Then you get one and then you get, then they start flying your way. So, hopefully that’s where we’re at.”

Classic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

49ers have activated Aldon Smith to the 53 man roster for next week, bit of a surprise to be honest wasn't expecting him back this soon.

Marlon Moore has been released to make room.

The 49ers still need to make more roster moves over the next few weeks as they will likely activate Eric Wright, Mario Manningham and Michael Crabtree.

Getting all these guys back towards the end of the year will be a huge bonus for us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Supposedly they had no choice. As he's out of rehab they had to activate him. Would be a big bonus to get him back (not withstanding his ultimate - probably long - ban). The pass rush has basically disappeared in his absence.

Also, 2nd round pick next year from KC is now locked in!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

Defense has done well without Aldon. Lemonier has impressed. Great to have such depth. Waiting to see what this tank fella is like. Turnovers have increased, but the schedule has eased a bit. Another factor perhaps has been kap returning to 100% after his foot injury. Seems happier to run more compared to earlier in the season. Looking forward to the return of the wrs, though I would have been happy with a punt on josh Brown.

There's a decent behind the scenes documentary on the wembley game and the week leading up to it on quest right now, repeated fairly often.

Actually a pretty good watch, it's called Touchdown Wembley.

• Advertisement

Well that was an ugly, ugly loss.

What happened to the offensive line? QB seemed to be under pressure on every drop back.

Carolina are a good team but that was a very dispiriting performance, Saints up next in the superdome, defeat there could mean us dropping out of the wildcard places.

Realistically we have lost to every good team we have played except the packers in week 1.

An ugly and costly loss at home. Kap looked lost without Davis. Did crabtree carry the team last year? The o-line looked awful without Iupati. 6 sacks?? The run game was doing ok - familiar story with the calls. Kyle williams cut.

An ugly and costly loss at home. Kap looked lost without Davis. Did crabtree carry the team last year? The o-line looked awful without Iupati. 6 sacks?? The run game was doing ok - familiar story with the calls. Kyle williams cut.

Iupati was there though. Got injured late on but only missed one or 2 plays.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Iupati was there though. Got injured late on but only missed one or 2 plays.

My bad, thanks. He would have been better of staying on the sideline! Another concussion for Reid. We'll see how much the secondary has improved against Brees and co.

Thats very worrying, without him we may struggle, we only have 1 healthy TE which takes away all the 2 TE formations from the playbook if Davis and Celek are out.

If we don't win Sunday we can forget about the division and even a Wildcard place will be tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

When Vernon Davis is on the field, Kaepernick's QBR is 81.7
    When Vernon Davis is not on the field , Kaepernick's QBR is 13.1 :eek:

This is a nice breakdown of last Sunday's Niners passing game (or lack of)

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/11/14/5100210/all-22-breakdown-of-the-49ers-inept-passing-offense

Big game Sunday, playing the Saints in the Superdome with no passing attack to speak of, possibly without McDonald, Davis and Reid, only one healthy TE and the Saints flying high.

Can't say I'm overly confident. Think I'll go back and watch that playoff from 2012 again to cheer me up.

Just thought I'd leave this here:

smith2.gif

Well that was disappointing, another toothless performance from the offense.

With Davis there we have at least a little threat, but again we got away from the run too early, Kaepernick made some bad decisions and we failed to score touchdowns at crucial stages.

The division race is now over, we have a lengthy injury list and we are in the middle of a dog fight for a wild card place.

Playoffs are still doable but tough to see a superbowl run this year.

Also WTF is going on with Harbaugh and his challenges, both were idiotic and unnecessary.

brooks-brees-meme.jpgAmusing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

brooks-brees-meme.jpgAmusing

Very amusing to anyone who backed the saints!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Very amusing to anyone who backed the saints!

A non call on the saints last night with Matty Ryan clearly getting the facemask from Hicks .. The Saints could be the ones to bet on if they continue to get this type of officiating!

Well that was a very pleasant way to spend the hours of 01:30 -04:30 of a Tuesday morning.

I realise the Redskins are terrible but you have to start somewhere.

Good Points:
    • Kaepernick made some nice throws down the field, hit Manningham, Boldin and Davis at different times, he also took off running to pick up a first down which was a very good decision at the time.
    • Greg Romans play calling was much improved, played to Kaepernick's strengths, called a few quick passes to get the passing game going early and a few deep shots too, much better than recently.
    • Clock management was better, still burned a few timeouts but were getting to the line in plenty of time to get audibles called.
    • No stupid challenges for a change.
    • Jerod Eddie looked very good in place of Macdonald, in fact the entire D-Line was very good against a very good running team.
    • Kept RG3 in check, Brooks and Aldon Smith both looked very good, I think this will be a real bonus down thee stretch.
    • James looks good on Kickoff and punt returns, I can see this being a good development and resulting in some short fields for the offense and maybe even a return TD or 2.

Bad Points:
    • Kaepernick still looks to panic in the pocket at times, he is looking to run too soon, he obviously doesn't trust the pass protection.
    • Kaepernick also made 2 or 3 very bad throws that would have been picked off against better opposition.
    • The run game really struggled with Iupati missing, this wasn't a big issue on the night but for the next few games we will need to run the ball.
    Overall it was one more win on the road to a Wild card spot. Arizona still hanging around but I think we should outlast them or beat them in week 17 if necessary.

You have to think Seattle and either NO or Carolina take seeds one and 2. I think the 49ers will end up as the 6 seed and will travel to either NFC East winners or NFC North winners.

I'd love to see 49ers @ Dallas in the wild card, would be like old times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

• The run game really struggled with Iupati missing, this wasn't a big issue on the night but for the next few games we will need to run the ball.

It was nothing to do with Iupati missing it was down to 8 in the box all game long and daring Kaepernick to throw.

That's why the niners are still a serious threat to win it all this year. Davis & Boldin one on one will win most battles most days. If teams repeat what the skins did they will be burnt the same way.

I don't think you can be critical of the Niners run game form last night at all.

That's a fair point, I think Iupati missing did have an impact though as Gore has been facing 8 man fronts for a while now.

I agree that SF have a shot at a deep playoff run, only concern is we look like world beaters against the poorer teams but struggle against the better teams.

Since the Packers game the pass game has really struggled, which is why teams are selling out to stop the run. I expect more of the same against St. Louis and Seattle.

This will continue until Kaepernick shows he can consistently beat single coverage, which he hasn't always been able to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

I believe the 49ers are going to be healthy and prepared to beat all of the teams in their remaining schedule, minus the Seahawks. The Seahawks game is going to be a tough one, but you never know, any given Sunday.

• Advertisement

I fancy the 49ers to take Seattle, they are currently down 2 CB's for that game already, while the 49ers should have Crabtree back.

That and the fact that I am attending the game should be enough to guarantee a victory.

I think all 3 division games will be tough, the Rams and Cardinals are both playing very well right now and the Cardinals have their playoff fate in their own hands.

Aldon Smith back on the fired is a big thing too. Come playoff time what you did previous matters for little.

The teams that win the superbowl regularly just hit form at the right time rather than being dominant from game 1

I'd rarely discount any side that makes the playoffs from having a shot at getting to and winning the big dance tbh.

Crabtree and Smith back will make an enormous difference. Still wouldn't fancy heading to Seattle for a playoff game though, 9ers were on the receiving end of a fairly large beat down with those two players in fine form last year. Mind you, Seattle have a few problems of their own at the moment.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Crabtree and Smith back will make an enormous difference. Still wouldn't fancy heading to Seattle for a playoff game though, 9ers were on the receiving end of a fairly large beat down with those two players in fine form last year. Mind you, Seattle have a few problems of their own at the moment.

I think all roads are going through New Orleans anyway tbh. Seattle may well find their corner back woes cost them dearly come playoff time.

I'd be happier seeing the 9ers go to the saints for a potential NFC game then to Seattle. This is all a bit premature though. I'm actually quite worried about this Rams game, their D has been playing very well lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

fierce quiet in here especially considering the game this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

D3PO wrote: »
    I think all roads are going through New Orleans anyway tbh. Seattle may well find their corner back woes cost them dearly come playoff time.
    Seattle always bottle it, trust me :)

I fancy SF to get the win on Sunday. Seattle doesn't really need to win that badly, and they are dealing with some injuries and suspensions. San Francisco needs the win to stay in control of the wildcard spot and maybe get the number 5 seed. Joe Staley is expected to play,Crab tree should be a factor while Seattle will be without Harvin,Browner,thurmond etc.

Second last game in candlestick as well, once Lynch doesn't destroy us I think we have a good shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Phew. Great 4Q game management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Adrian, was that your Ireland flag visible in the crowd?

Advertisement