Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

think this was one of the my few calls that I got right this week, go 9ers! Great to see Moss get a TD on his first outing, hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,877 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

think this was one of the my few calls that I got right this week, go 9ers! Great to see Moss get a TD on his first outing, hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

he played ok - but I don't think you can really make much of the TD, I could have got that, coverage was as badly blown as it could be. No one went with him at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I thought the 49ers sent out a big message to the NFC last night, and can see them as favourites for the SB from that conference now. The defence looked as good as last year, but Alex Smith looked as sharp and confident as I have ever seen him.

I think they just tightened up after the punt return, and totally dominated the packers in GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

he played ok - but I don't think you can really make much of the TD, I could have got that, coverage was as badly blown as it could be. No one went with him at all.

true, but it's nice to see him off the mark!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm only just getting to post about this now.

What a great San Francisco performance. To come away from Lambeau field with a win is a wonderful way to start the season. It really gives the team some momentum to start the season.

With the Seahawks and Rams both losing we're already ahead in the race to win the division.

It also gives us the head to head over Green Bay for seeding purposes, probably won't come into it but you never know.

I thought the offense played very well, very balanced play calling, and Moss and Manningham made a huge difference, Crabtree also looked good, probably benefiting from from the defense having to pay attention to the other weapons. I was very pleased with Gore as well, he looks good as does Kendall Hunter.

Alex Smith was very good, efficient and made good decisions. 126 passer rating, with 2 TD's and no picks, can't ask for more than that.

The defense was dominant as usual and not much more to say there, (Benson got 2 yards per carry)

The replacment officials were very frustrating, some very strange calls working against both teams. Niners probably got the better of it overall but that punt return could have cost us.

Finally Harbaugh got 2 challenges wrong, which is not unusual for him. Sometimes I think he throws the challenge just to vent his frustration rather than waiting to hear from upstairs if it is worthwhile challenging. Neither of those challenges had a chance and it cost us 2 timeouts and with replacement officials I think we should be keeping 1 challenge in hand right up until the 2 minute warning.

Overall great result though, and looking forward to Detroit next weekend.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyone staying up for the handshake bowl?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

adrian522 wrote: »
    Anyone staying up for the handshake bowl?
    I'll be watching it, although obviously looking for a Lions win (not all that optimistic about it if I'm being honest).

Think too much is been made of this handshake controversy. There's so much hype over what happened last year that it's overshadowing what should prove to be a decent game between the one of the NFL's most toughest defence against one the most high powered offences. Certainly won't be expecting any more handshake dramas after the final whistle.

They shook hands before the game, no problem. Both are just getting on with it.

Another good win, very impressed with Crabtree converting 3 3rd downs in a row, defense continues to look good also, only downer was giving up a turnover on a kickoff return.

On to the Vikings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Watched most of the game last night before tiredness got the better of me. That defence is pretty damn good. They really make a QB work to complete a pass and even when it is complete, they seem to be so quick to get to the receiver that there's not an awful amount of yards after the catch.

Was a bit sceptical of SF as Superbowl contenders before the start of the season but the form they're in, they are in the top 3 contenders for sure.

That was the best game that Alex Smith had in the NFL and the team is growing with confidence. I was listening to 97.5 San Francisco's sports radio yesterday and they seem to be delighted with the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Dymo wrote: »
    That was the best game that Alex Smith had in the NFL and the team is growing with confidence. I was listening to 97.5 San Francisco's sports radio yesterday and they seem to be delighted with the team.

Well it shouldn't be too hard considering that Lions were missing 3 out of the 4 starting players from the secondary. But Smith did what he needed to do to win & done it without making any mistakes, of which the same cannot be said about Stafford who has looked very dodgy the first 2 games.

That defense is elite though. Difficult to get any facet of offence going against it. Seeing as it shut down 2 of the best scoring offences of last season, it's hard to see if any team will be able to score enough points to keep up with what Smith can do (in tandem with the running game), who in fairness does look better than last year.

A trip to New Orleans in Februrary doesn't look out of the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Looking by far like the best team in the NFL right now.

I don't think it was just because you guys were missing starters, Lionbacker. This team is starting to click. As I said during the game, they have so many options with the most athletic TE in the game, and Gore and Crabtree, and some guy named Randy... something...

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Stafford who has looked very dodgy the first 2 games.

I've watched his first 2 games and playing bad I think is an understatement, even the commentators were getting on his case. He got a way with it against the Rams but Sunday night he hadn't improved. They may soon be changing to their rookie quaterback or give Shaun Hill another try.

Dymo wrote: »
    I've watched his first 2 games and playing bad I think is an understatement, even the commentators were getting on his case. He got a way with it against the Rams but Sunday night he hadn't improved. They may soon be changing to their rookie quaterback or give Shaun Hill another try.

That's a bit drastic surely? Stafford is still in the top 10 QB's in the league. I'm sure he'll improve, he's too good of a QB not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

not a good day at the office, the defense didn't seem as strong as in other weeks.

No, poor performance all round. Vikings played very well, but a lot of dropped passes, Gore fumble, Smith INT, and problems stopping the Vikings offense.

Really needed a stop after we brought it back to 4 points, but couldn't, then Whitner dropped what would have been a Pick 6, that would have brought us back.

Hopefully the response is a good as after last years defeat to the cowboys. Need a big performance in NY now.

So is it time for panic? A lot of people seemed to think that the Vikings should have been swatted aside without too much difficulty but the niners really struggled.

I can't really see the Jets causing us the same problems but you never know.

Incidentally I think the "trerrible" NFC west is now one of the most comptitive divisions out there, I think I read more combined wins so far than any other division.

Anyway, I saw this post last night and thought it was pretty funny, basically 49ers tweeting about the MNF ending:

(source = http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2012/09/24/niners-express-outrage-at-seahawks-controversial-victory/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29)

– Center Jonathan Goodwin (@jgoody59): “This will be the biggest blunder in the history of sport! . If that stands!”

– Safety Dashon Goldson (@thehawk38): “That’s picked” … “Omfg … lmfao”

– Cornerback Perrish Cox (@pcox16): “Is the refs workin for the buffalo wild wings commercial?”

– Right tackle Anthony Davis (@BamDavis76): “Thats f—— up what they did to greenbay. People work to hard to be cheated.”

– CEO Jed York (@JedYork): “Good night hanging with family & friends in Youngstown. Did I miss anything on #MNF”

– Kicker David Akers (@DavidAkers2): “All I can say is WOW!!!”

– Left tackle Joe Staley (@JStaley74): ”Seriously this is insane. #MNF”

– Safety C.J. Spillman (@CJSpillman27): “What in the world is going on w the game tonight crazy ending! I thought that was a pick!”

– Defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois (@Freakyjean95):”Where is the pass Interference call.”

(Add this from Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson (@RealPeterson21): “Com’on can we please get the real refs back. Destroying the game that we all grew to love. WOW!!!!!!”))

NFC west division is now going to be tough to qualify for the play offs, but I'm sure the 49'ers will make it, but the cardinals and seahawks are going to be tough games, and I've been impressed with the Rams so far this year. The jets game won't be easy but it will show how good the 49ers can react to the loss.

• Advertisement

Wow!!

So is the AFC East the new NFC West?

Combined score over the last 2 games 79-3.

That is pretty insane to be honest. to be fair Buffalo and the Jets aren't exactly the best teams in the league but I wouldn't have thought they would be the worst teams in the league either.

So yesterday the 49ers set the franchise record for most offensive yards in a game (621). That's pretty impressive given some of the big offenses we've had in the past.

It was also the first time a team has had over 300 yards through the air and over 300 on the ground. Whatever way you look at it the offense is certainly starting to click, picking up first downs, Smith making good throws and going deep when the situation calls for it.

Smith also apprently picked up a finger injury but isn't too worried by it.

Also the 49ers are working Kaepernick into the offense more and more via the Wildcat/Read Option, which will obviously keep defnces on their toes.

Interestingly, despite all the plays made the offense Randy Moss continues to be a peripheral figure, which I find quite strange.

On the other side of the ball the 49ers defense continues to play well, taking the ball away and shutting down the opposition. I know it's only October and some of the teams we've played have not been great but things are certainly looking good right now.

I guess we will know a lot more about where we stand next week once the Giants roll into town and we still have to play the Bears, Patriots and Saints as well as all the division games.

The rest of the NFL west is also looking stronger with the seahawks getting another impressive win yesterday. Some big games in the weeks ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

I still haven't gotten around to seeing any of Sundays game but it all sounds good from reports ive read. Seems theyve put the vikings defeat behind them. Long road ahead but dare we dream????

mickmc7 wrote: »
    I still haven't gotten around to seeing any of Sundays game but it all sounds good from reports ive read. Seems theyve put the vikings defeat behind them. Long road ahead but dare we dream????

Probably too early to get too carried away, Bills and Jets were both terrible and as someone pointed out to me we havn't beaten a team with a winning record but I do think we can dream of going one step further than last year.

Obviously we still have to play all 6 divisional games but things are certainly looking good so far.

Looks like the 49ers are heading back to London. While the Jaguars aren't great currently it's still a great oppurtunity to see the 49ers play live.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000079298/article/san-francisco-49ers-to-play-jaguars-in-london-in-2013?module=HP11_headline_stack

adrian522 wrote: »
    Looks like the 49ers are heading back to London. While the Jaguars aren't great currently it's still a great oppurtunity to see the 49ers play live.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000079298/article/san-francisco-49ers-to-play-jaguars-in-london-in-2013?module=HP11_headline_stack

Just heard this. Fantastic news.

So 49ers were pretty much put in their place by the Giants yesterday and were beaten all over the field. Main takeaways for me:

Kaepernick/Smith switching in and out is fine when the offense is motoring and it's not critical but on 3rd and long it seems a bad move as Kaepernick is coming in cold and it takes Smith out if his rhythm.

I'd like to see the 49ers lean on their receivers a bit more, particularly Moss who has been used very sparingly.

Harbaugh really needs to learn not to challenge when there is no chance of it being successful, not the first time this has happened.

Carlos Rodgers dropped a few possible interceptions and the 49ers also gave up a couple of big kick returns (not for the first time this season)

Joe Stately suffered a concussion which will mean he will be unlikely to play on Thursday night against Seattle.

Up until now the 49ers have had a lot of things go their way, very few injuries, good special teams play, they came up with take away's on defence and didn't turn the ball over, let's hope that this game is not the start of a pattern.

49ers now have a short week and really need to bounce back at home against the seahawks. At least the other teams in the division also struggled yesterday so a win next week could see the 49ers take control of the division but the performance needs to improve in all phases.

Another disappointing aspect to last nights game is we have now lost to 2 potential rivals for wildcard spots so we will probably need to win the division in order to go to the playoffs, making the next 3 games absolutely crucial given 1 game seperates all 4 teams and a 3 way tie at the top currently.

Agree with everything youve said Adrian, nothing else to add really. No turnovers or sacks whilst turning it over ourselves a shed load. Not good. Will the real 49'ers please stand up? Lets hope that was just a blip of sorts. Important few weeks now.

Important win last night which is main thing. Delighted with the defensive shutout in the second half, not so happy about the offence. Seems Smith had a stinker.

• Advertisement

Well, Smith seemed to struggle at times last night. There was one interception in the end zone which could have been crucial.

That play happened on 3rd and Goal after Colin Kaepernick came in for the 2nd down play (Read Option - not really foooling anyone with that) and again I'd say that disrupted Alex and his rhythm.

It can't be good for his confidence to have to keep coming out of the game like that. On the upside that was the only time that happened last night.

In the second half the 49ers offense was much better, in the first half Smith was forcing some passes to the WR's even though they were pretty well covered, in the 2nd half there was a lot more short passes to Gore and Hunter and also 49ers ran the ball much better.

Gore was excellent last night catching passes and making good gains as well as running the ball well. He seemed to pick up an injury late on, hopefully it is nothing serious.

Defensively we struggled to contain Lynch at times and Wilson made some good throws that were dropped by his WR's. We could have found ourselves further behind in that first half.

In the second half the defense really showed up and the Seahawks couldn't get anything going. Aldon Smith came up with a huge sack on the last possession of the game.

49ers gave up a lot of stupid penalties which could have been much more costly than they were, including one which kept a drive alive that would otherwise have ended in a punt.

Harbaugh didn't make any silly challenges but he did try at one point but it was not a unchallengeable play (pointless anyway as even if the Seahawks player had fumbled they recovered the ball so the 49ers were not getting it anyway).

The 49ers also turned down a safety at the end (declined a penalty that meant the Seahawks turned it over on downs) -not great if you'd backed 49ers-7.

Overall a good win and one that could be crucial as this division looks to be very tight. Next 2 games are divisional as well so 2 wins would put us in control of the division.

Advertisement