Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

Next man up

CJ Beathard, was a third round draft pic, time to shine now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I think chances of the 49ers trading for a QB upgrade over Beathard are pretty non-existent.

We aren't a playoff team yet, so why give away trade collateral to be a slightly better bad team?
    I'm not advocating being bad on purpose (like some of the idiots on the 49ers fan boards), but I still think that we are better fighting through with what we have on the roster. I'd hope that Beathard can be a much improved QB this year given he has had more time in Shanahan's scheme and will be working behind an improved offensive line.
    Even more worrying, for me, than Jimmy G's presumably season ending injury, is how poor we looked on defence. 5 TD's conceded in the first 5 opponent drives... I know Chiefs are stacked with offensive talent, but some of the defence on show was pretty appalling.

We need to find someone to help Defo in the defensive line. We have guys there performing a job, and we are good at stopping the run, but with an inexperienced Defensive back corps we need to be better at putting pressure on the opposing QB, Solly & co are bringing nothing from the edge... I miss elvis dumervil...

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Jimmy going down saves the 49ers alot of face this season, I think alot of people were expecting the 49ers to be borderline playoff hopefuls this season and what we have seen from the first 3 games shows that the 9ers still have so much work to do. I knew that the 9ers didn't invest heavily enough on the offensive side of the ball and should have went all out and tried and land a top end edge rusher. I don't think Lynch and Kyle will make that mistake next year. I think Robert Saleh will make it to the end of the season and then I think the 49ers will look for a new Defensive Coordinator.

It will be interesting to see how the 9ers play with CJ Bethard but I also don't think it would be such a terrible thing for the 9ers to land a top 10 draft pick and get a blue chip talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

jonok28 wrote: »
    Jimmy going down saves the 49ers alot of face this season, I think alot of people were expecting the 49ers to be borderline playoff hopefuls this season and what we have seen from the first 3 games shows that the 9ers still have so much work to do. I knew that the 9ers didn't invest heavily enough on the offensive side of the ball and should have went all out and tried and land a top end edge rusher. I don't think Lynch and Kyle will make that mistake next year. I think Robert Saleh will make it to the end of the season and then I think the 49ers will look for a new Defensive Coordinator.

It will be interesting to see how the 9ers play with CJ Bethard but I also don't think it would be such a terrible thing for the 9ers to land a top 10 draft pick and get a blue chip talent.

Must disagree with some of the above. In general, I think 3 games is far too soon to judge how a team is performing and even if you think it is then the 49ers were outperforming teams who were far more fancied for the playoffs than they were. Many, including myself, were down after the performance last week but look what the Lions did to the Patriots last night. I think we were still trending towards being in contention for the playoffs.

On the offensive side of the ball; the investments in the OL was obvious in both in passing and rushing; their rookie WRs hadn’t really had a chance to get going but Pettis was performing up with the top rookies at the position; and their big investment at RB never had a chance to see the field. None of the potential WR1s that were on the market last summer have really set the world on fire yet so hard to say they skimped and missed out on someone there.

As for top end edge rushers, no matter how ‘all out’ they went the last offseason was a particularly bad year to be looking for them, as none of the top guys made it to FA and the draft was comparatively weak. This upcoming year looks better in both regards so it will have to be an area to look at. I was annoyed at not putting a better offer for Mack than what the Bears gave up but with the injury to Jimmy I’m glad we lost out. Paying both on a lost year and not having the likely early pick in the draft would have hurt team development long term.

I’m on the fence about Salah. He hasn’t been given the tools to really succeed so far but some of the calls have been terrible and the tackling nothing short of a disgrace. It is hard to tell whether it is down to players or the coaching but they’ve missed 43 tackles over 3 games, where the Bears have missed just 8. Maybe a bit less gas and actually focusing on completing tackles would be helpful.

Hoping to see some improvement from what we saw from Beathard both last season and in preseason. Can’t see the team trying to sign someone to step in as a starter as it takes so long to learn the Shanahan playbook. Better for the team development to continue to grow using close to what Jimmy would have worked with than bring someone in and narrow things down again and the only potential upside being a win or two extra and a worse draft pick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I didn't see the 49ers as potential play off team this year. 7-9 wins was what I was expecting but that is not going to be good enough for an NFC wildcard this year. I thought the expectations on Garoppolo were insane this year. The 49ers are not a good team and he really performed miracles last year but it was always likely we would see some regression.

The defense in general is poor (but improving). The O-line is much improved but it is all a work in progress. The problem is I think Garoppolo will face is huge misses out on a years development. He has still only played 10 or so games in his career. I was hoping next year he would be a lot better but now it may be 2020 before he truly reaches his potential.

You are spot on there Adrian.

This year was never going to be our year, but having Jimmy G next year with a season under his belt and a continually improving team, next year would have been a lot of fun - with reasonable expectations of at least being in the mix for playoff spot come the end of the season.

One thing I would say is that we have a very young D (for the most part), missing the most tackles in the league means we are putting ourselves in positions to make the tackles, improvement there could see our D improving massively (how's that for seeing the glass half full.)

We really could do with having someone who can help out DeFo in the pressure game...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Freakonomics Radio is one of my favourite Podcasts. They had an in-depth special on the 49ers last week.

Available wherever you get your Podcasts :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, I'll check it out once I get over the latest injury news.

To that end, I think the following is really good...

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/9/25/17899606/49ers-chiefs-recap-jimmy-garoppolo-acl-injury-stages-of-grief-taylor-swift

He does a good job of blaming everyone from Tom Brady to Taylor Swift for Jimmy's injury :)

Also lets never go to Kansas again...

The 49ers last five trips to Kansas City:

1994: 24-17, L (Young loses to Montana)

1997: 44-9, L (the 49ers came in 11-1)

2006: 41-0, L

2010: 31-10, L

2018: 38-27, L (Garoppolo tears ACL)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

adrian522 wrote: »
    I didn't see the 49ers as potential play off team this year. 7-9 wins was what I was expecting but that is not going to be good enough for an NFC wildcard this year. I thought the expectations on Garoppolo were insane this year. The 49ers are not a good team and he really performed miracles last year but it was always likely we would see some regression.

The defense in general is poor (but improving). The O-line is much improved but it is all a work in progress. The problem is I think Garoppolo will face is huge misses out on a years development. He has still only played 10 or so games in his career. I was hoping next year he would be a lot better but now it may be 2020 before he truly reaches his potential.
    I think Jimmy is already there. It's about time with his receivers, building chemistry is the problem.

If he recovers quickly and is ready to throw next summer he can still do that. Like Welker and Edelman used to work out with Brady in the summer and it showed in the regular season. If Jimmy G does that he can be in a really good spot when he gets back on the field.

On the evidence of last weekend's game I have to say I was overly pessimistic on Beathard. He looks to have improved a lot and it was more his supporting cast that let him down. I appreciate him being fearless out there but when his backup is a rookie just off the practice squad he needs to be slightly more careful.

Did not expect to come out of last weekend feeling that we could have bordering on should have won. My fear was that after Jimmy going down we'd be poison to watch but we'll be there or thereabouts in a fair few games this year, which will be fun. Potentially going down the route of the 'elegant tank' like we were pre-Jimmy, with a lot of close loses and a good draft pick.

Defense is still a major issue. Tackling appeared to be a bit better initially but then went down hill as the game went on. One thing that must be said is that the 49ers have played 4 top 10 offenses so far but it is hard to tell if the reason why they're ranked so high is because of the stats that the 49ers have allowed. This week will be a good barometer with the poor Cardinals offense. Worrying how many injuries there are to the OL but hopefully a few of the guys make it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

Old? In less than 2 years 1990 will have been 30 years ago.....

Well that was fu**king awful. That was historically bad.
    The 49ers are the first team in NFL history to pick up 30 first downs, hold their opponent to 10 or fewer first downs, and lose by double-digits.

After today, NFL teams are 46-4 all time when they pick up 30 first downs and hold their opponent to 10 or fewer.

— Bobby Belt (@BobbyBeltTX) October 7, 2018

I don't know where they go from here. (apart from Lambeau for another beating on Monday night.).

Last night was grim.

The Arizona Cardinals were pretty awful, and 49ers were just worse!

After watching the game, I have finally come to the realisation (and I'm probably late coming to this), that this season is an absolute write off and we have a long way to go before we are a respectably decent team.

I know we have injuries at key positions, but we still make some god damn awful mistakes - the Cardinals first TD, what was our safety doing?

I'm glad that we are playing the packers on a Monday night, it means I can't even consider staying up to watch the game. It's going to be a humiliating bloodbath.

Looking forward to the draft and some more unbridled optimism, for a few months at least.

Also, are the 49ers just really unlucky, or do we have to look at how our S&C guys are preparing our players, every time they go into contact i'm expecting somebody not to get up...

Serious questions to be asked of the training staff I think. Off the top of my head Breida, Staley, Pearson, Garnett, Godwin, Morris, Garoppolo, Foster, Sherman, etc have all had injuries that caused them to leave the game or miss some time. There are more as will that i can't think of. At some point it stops being bad luck.

Serious questions to be asked of the training staff I think. Off the top of my head Breida, Staley, Pearson, Garnett, Godwin, Morris, Garoppolo, Foster, Sherman, etc have all had injuries that caused them to leave the game or miss some time. There are more as will that i can't think of. At some point it stops being bad luck.

McKinnon is a big one missing from your list, who was the most expensive FA add and was lost so close to the season that it must have been extremely difficult to change up plans. We're seeing a lot of formations with receivers or even TEs lining up in the backfield, which I expect were designed for McKinnon.

I think it is harsh to blame the training staff on the injuries though. They're coming in at all different parts of the body and many directly from impacts or awkward twists, like guys rolling on their legs. In addition, others can be pointed to the age profile of the player or their injury history so I don't see how these can be pointed to the training staff

As I said at some point it becomes more than bad luck. You have to start looking at what they are doing in warmup's, strength work etc.

A few injuries are expected but pretty much all the starters have had an injury of some kind causing them to leave the game or miss some time.

That was bad. Sherman penalty really cost us.

Again 3 turnovers after having 5 last week. We started well but fell to pieces on the last drive. Also why are we throwing it on 2nd and 3 with 3 mins on the clock and a lead?

That went well.

• Advertisement

That went well.

Result was as expected, but still can't be happy with the performance.

I feel like some guys have actually regressed since last year, don't know what's happened with Foster and Colbert, I felt like they were flying around the field making hit's last year and it's just not happening this year.

You gotta feel bad for Shanny though, guys making very bad mistakes, massive injury issues, we like -20 on turnovers this year or something?

For me the only positives from this year are 1) our run blocking is looking good for the most part. 2) Shanny is still scheming guys open 3) Kittle looks very very good.

Regardless of the injured guys coming back at the end of the season, there will be a lot of changes still needed when this writeoff of a season ends.

Remaining games are Arizona, Oakland, Giants,Tampa, Seattle, Denver, Seattle, Bears, LA.

We should be more competitive going forward. While we are bad I can see a few wins between here and end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

As shatterings go, that’s right up there 😖

That game was a terrible watch. Nothing is going their way but the only thing the team is consistent in is finding new ways to lose.

Favourites for #1 pick in the draft though and hopefully see a few guys shipped out in the next few days to get more capital.

Saleh is killing us, I know we have a lot of injuries on both sides of the ball but this defense does not have an identity.

I think we are gonna trade Garçon before the deadline and I’m kinda glad, if we could get a 3rd rounder for him I’d be happy. I’d rather go with Goodwin, Pettis and Taylor. Breida and McKinnon will be a solid RB Corp. Kittle is a beast I think we have some really nice pieces on the Offensive side of the ball but desperately need to invest in Guard depth and then spend the rest on Defense. Here’s hoping we land Nick Bosa.

Saleh is killing us, I know we have a lot of injuries on both sides of the ball but this defense does not have an identity.

I think we are gonna trade Garçon before the deadline and I’m kinda glad, if we could get a 3rd rounder for him I’d be happy. I’d rather go with Goodwin, Pettis and Taylor. Breida and McKinnon will be a solid RB Corp. Kittle is a beast I think we have some really nice pieces on the Offensive side of the ball but desperately need to invest in Guard depth and then spend the rest on Defense. Here’s hoping we land Nick Bosa.

Got to say, I agree with most of this.

While the leaders in the defensive group are keeping the blame within the players, you got to ask questions about why there is no apparent improvement within the players themselves. Is coaching ineffective?

I further agree that we should be looking to bolster the draft capital, our seasons over anyway and if we can get additional picks for someone like Goodwin (who I don't think has really performed) then lets do it. I would be shocked if we got as high as a 3rd for him though.

Other than the reports that he is a physical freak, are there not concerns around Bosa's injury profile? We don't want another guy who is going to be missing half the games.

• Advertisement

shoutman wrote: »
    Got to say, I agree with most of this.

While the leaders in the defensive group are keeping the blame within the players, you got to ask questions about why there is no apparent improvement within the players themselves. Is coaching ineffective?

I further agree that we should be looking to bolster the draft capital, our seasons over anyway and if we can get additional picks for someone like Goodwin (who I don't think has really performed) then lets do it. I would be shocked if we got as high as a 3rd for him though.

Other than the reports that he is a physical freak, are there not concerns around Bosa's injury profile? We don't want another guy who is going to be missing half the games.

I have slight concerns with Bosa’s injury history but the 49ers have missed out on some elite talent because of injury history, off the field issues and bad attitudes. I think they need to take a chance on an elite talent rather than playing it safe. McGlinchey, Thomas, Buckner, Armstead and Jimmie Ward in my opinion were very safe picks with Buckner the only elite talent currently amongst our first round picks. The 9ers desperately need and an edge rusher and Bosa is that guy.

I think blame can be put on the players too but they don’t look like they know what there meant to be doing out there on the defensive end, that starts from the DC and I just think we need to be rid of Saleh and find a long term solution.

Goodwin and Garçon are two guys who should be made available. Trent Taylor as a slot receiver, Dante Pettis as the intermediate route running second receiver and we need a red zone threat/ number one receiver. I really like Collin Johnson out of Texas. 6”5, moves very well for his size and is fast. He would be a great pick up in the second round.

I just want to see this time finally flourish, injuries have killed us the last two seasons and we just need a run of good luck injuries wise and I think we can make some noise, maybe not playoffs but I think we can push for it.

I have slight concerns with Bosa’s injury history but the 49ers have missed out on some elite talent because of injury history, off the field issues and bad attitudes. I think they need to take a chance on an elite talent rather than playing it safe. McGlinchey, Thomas, Buckner, Armstead and Jimmie Ward in my opinion were very safe picks with Buckner the only elite talent currently amongst our first round picks. The 9ers desperately need and an edge rusher and Bosa is that guy.

I think blame can be put on the players too but they don’t look like they know what there meant to be doing out there on the defensive end, that starts from the DC and I just think we need to be rid of Saleh and find a long term solution.

Goodwin and Garçon are two guys who should be made available. Trent Taylor as a slot receiver, Dante Pettis as the intermediate route running second receiver and we need a red zone threat/ number one receiver. I really like Collin Johnson out of Texas. 6”5, moves very well for his size and is fast. He would be a great pick up in the second round.

I just want to see this time finally flourish, injuries have killed us the last two seasons and we just need a run of good luck injuries wise and I think we can make some noise, maybe not playoffs but I think we can push for it.

Agree on moving on from Garcon, due to his regression, acquiring draft capital, and his cap hit, but I’d be very much against trading Goodwin unless a crazy offer came in. His output hasn’t been great this year while injured, but when fit he’s been good. He is our only WR with top end speed to stretch teams, which makes our offense looks totally different with him playing, and that score TDs with big gains after the catch, see last Sunday. He also improved dramatically as a route runner since joining, had great chemistry with Jimmy during the off season, is only 27, and signed a pretty team friendly contract in the offseason.

I really don’t think the issue with our drafting is playing it safe, if anything the opposite was the case with Baalke after the first round. He wasted picks year on year with guys coming off injuries who could be elite talent which came back to bite us when the Harbaugh era guys moved on.

I wouldn’t call McGlinchey a safe pick, he was drafted much earlier than predicted in advance and he’s been a great success so far. The only safe pick in the first round during the Lynch/Shanahan tenure would be Thomas and, in that draft, the main guy in the first round who had potential to be an elite talent and dropped due to red flags, injury and character concerns, was Foster who they picked up later. If you look at that draft most of the first-round picks have failed to live up to expectations, especially in the positions the 49ers were likely to draft. I still have faith that Thomas could come good when he gets more time at his actual position inside, he simply isn’t an edge rusher.

Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Goodwin and I fully agree with you he really does offer top level speed that opens up the field but that is the exact reason I would make him available is because I think he can fetch a mid to high draft pick which the 9ers could use to bolster other areas of the team. I would much rather keep Goodwin over Garcon. 

McGlinchey was a very safe pick but a very necessary one. McGlinchey was considered the most cant miss Offensive Tackle prospect in the draft and even though he was taken maybe a bit too early I'm glad we did take him because I think he has a big future. I respectfully disagree I think the 9ers have made a lot of safe but necessary picks. Thomas was very safe , Armstead over Marcus Peters was safe, Jimmie Ward  taken before Bradley Roby (Arrested just before draft) was an unexpected pick. 

I will agree with you however regarding Baalke and his mid round picks. He was very wasteful with the ACL picks through the years. Thank God Lynch and Kyle have found some good players like Fred Warner, CJ Bethard, George Kittle, Trent Taylor and Adrian Colbert. I think if we continue to find diamonds in the rough in the middle rounds the 49ers will be able to build quality depth all over the field. 

I just am convinced from everything I have seen from Nick Bosa that he is the player to unlock not only Solomon Thomas potential but the 49ers Defense as a whole.  Having a guy like that on the field takes pressure off of Thomas and Buckner and creates much larger holes for them to attack the QB. I would love to see the 49ers address these positions in the draft and Free Agency: DE, WR, CB x2, LG x2 ,NT,RT and SAM linebacker.

Fair play to Nick Mullen's last night, I had mixed emotions before the game, I wanted to beat the Raiders because it's the Raiders but I want us to land the No. 1 pick. I think we have a potential All Pro in George Kittle, he impresses me so much every time he is on the field. I still can't believe the Raiders gave Gruden a ten year deal, the players already look like they have given up on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Was not expecting a quarterback battle coming away from that game. But Mullen looked great last night.

• Advertisement

I watched the first three quarters of last nights game, Mullen had an incredibly easy time of it, little to know pressure on him, a defence that was struggling to stop the run, and guys being schemed wide open.
    I think he probably only had one throw he'd like to take back (think he missed a wide open WR in the third quarter which would have been a 1st down.)

All in all 49ers did well but has to be tempered with just how god awful the Raiders were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Was a good win for ye last night, the NFL Network show after it will do Mullen no favours though. Great for him to be winning in that fashion against ANY NFL defense given that he comes from a CUSA college, undrafted, etc, and fair play to him for it.

But they brought him on to the after game show, plugging him with talk about getting his account verified on Twitter, getting Brett Favre to call in and wish him well on live TV and all this craic. They love nothing more than to hype the sh1te out of someone, then they'll be the same lads tearing him down as an over-rated hack one-hit wonder in a week or two. Nice work if you can get it.

Was a good win for ye last night, the NFL Network show after it will do Mullen no favours though. Great for him to be winning in that fashion against ANY NFL defense given that he comes from a CUSA college, undrafted, etc, and fair play to him for it.

But they brought him on to the after game show, plugging him with talk about getting his account verified on Twitter, getting Brett Favre to call in and wish him well on live TV and all this craic. They love nothing more than to hype the sh1te out of someone, then they'll be the same lads tearing him down as an over-rated hack one-hit wonder in a week or two. Nice work if you can get it.
    I fully agree that post game show was way to OTT. Lets be honest the Raiders did not show up at all and Mullens punished that. I'm really happy for the guy and hope he can build upon that game and build a solid NFL career for himself but I don't think many 49er fans are going to be expecting big things from Mullens moving forward, we all know that Jimmy G is our guy and CJ has done a serviceable job in his absence.

Statistically he did have the best game for a first time QB in modern NFL history, so it was the story of the game. The only other thing they could have focused on afterwards was how dire the Raiders were but Gruden is still in the media bubble and they’re going out of their way to find excuses for him (like the never ending talk of the few examples where it worked out for a team to trade away their best players).

All Kyle needs is a QB to be barely competent and he’ll scheme guys open for them, and the Raiders added to that help Mullens received. Dream scenario here is that they run with Mullen now and he puts in some good performances for the rest of the year, on the much easier side of our schedule, and we get some team to trade for him in the off season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I agree with all of that, I'm just saying, from his point of view, and that of the team, that amount of media attention and hype is going to make it way harder to build on this start. They create their own narrative and their own expectations, then knock the man who doesn't live up to them.

:(

:(

In the battle of two bad teams, the team with more stars won. Obviously losing this many games is hard but I do see benefit in the loses. We are not getting blown out in every game, we are a competitive team who always seems to be in the game. Heres hoping that with all players healthy and a top 5 draft pick ( which I think they should trade down to get more draft capital) and a strong draft and Free Agent class the 9ers could be back on the right track soon.

We have lost games at the very end that we should have won now against Green Bay, Arizona and New York.

The defense's inability to provide any sort of resistance at the end of games is very troubling and I don't see why this should be the case. You just knew as soon as the Giants got the ball back with 2+ mins left that they were going to score.

I'd rather a couple of wins at this point to be honest. Another high draft pick isn't going to solve these problems.

How many problems has Solomon Thomas solved? Another pick like that and we will be back picking at the top of the draft in 2020 again.
    At some point the team needs to start showing a little bit of progress particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

In the last 3 years we've had picks at 9, 3, and 7. They had 2 first round picks in 2 of those years. How many years of picking in the top 10 do they need before they start getting better?

I respectfully disagree, I agree that alot of the picks under Baalke were terrible with Buckner being one of the exceptions. I think the picks Lynch and Shanahan have made have been good. Obviously Thomas hasn't played anywhere near to his draft status but Reuben Foster was an incredible pick up and the tail end of the first round, McGlinchey was an excellent pick this year and they have nailed some mid round picks like George Kittle, Trent Taylor, Fred Warner, CJ Bethard, Adrian Colbert and Dante Pettis.

I agree regarding the 49ers defense. Robert Saleh needs to go, his shapeless defense has cost us numerous games this season. I think he is kept til seasons end and is fired. If Vance Joseph is fired by the Bronco's I'd love to see the 9ers making a run at him as Defensive Coordinator. The Broncos have been bad this season defensively but in past seasons under Vance they have been a top 5 defense year in year out. Kyle running the offense, Vance running the Defense would be a really exciting prospect.

This 49ers team has potential, they need to stay healthy and improve via Free agency and the draft to really become a playoff team.

I respectfully disagree, I agree that alot of the picks under Baalke were terrible with Buckner being one of the exceptions. I think the picks Lynch and Shanahan have made have been good. Obviously Thomas hasn't played anywhere near to his draft status but Reuben Foster was an incredible pick up and the tail end of the first round, McGlinchey was an excellent pick this year and they have nailed some mid round picks like George Kittle, Trent Taylor, Fred Warner, CJ Bethard, Adrian Colbert and Dante Pettis.

I agree regarding the 49ers defense. Robert Saleh needs to go, his shapeless defense has cost us numerous games this season. I think he is kept til seasons end and is fired. If Vance Joseph is fired by the Bronco's I'd love to see the 9ers making a run at him as Defensive Coordinator. The Broncos have been bad this season defensively but in past seasons under Vance they have been a top 5 defense year in year out. Kyle running the offense, Vance running the Defense would be a really exciting prospect.

This 49ers team has potential, they need to stay healthy and improve via Free agency and the draft to really become a playoff team.

What are you disagreeing with exactly? I never said anything about the Lynch picks other than Thomas (who is a total bust up to this point)

• Advertisement

What are you disagreeing with exactly? I never said anything about the Lynch picks other than Thomas (who is a total bust up to this point)

I must have read your comment incorrectly, I thought when you brought up the draft picks that we can keep on picking in the top 10 but it makes no difference if the picks suck, my bad lol.

Yeah Solomon is a bust but I really want to see him with a different Defensive Coordinator before I give up fully on him.

I think it is fair to call Thomas a bust as an edge rusher but that isn’t his position. I understand trying him there but when he is put in the interior he has performed much better. The issue is that we already had guys who fitted that role but if they went a different likely direction most of the guys who were drafted early that year could also be deemed as ‘busts’.

Regarding your earlier post, the reason why the team hasn’t put up more resistance at the end of games is mainly down to the lack of an edge rush and that position is key to the scheme we have and was a one where there was basically no high end supply in last year’s FA and draft. This year the opposite is the case so I’m not going to be too worried until they either don’t pick up talent there this offseason or these issues are still there when they do.

As has been mentioned, I’m seeing the number of close games as a definite positive. Despite the league’s largest rebuild and constant injuries the team has been in 1 score games on 13 occasions since the new regime came in. They only won 3 of those games so the margin to overcome is tiny. In the future between the injured guys coming back, plenty of cap space for FA, early draft picks, and at least something going their way the team should be able to overcome those deficits.

He hasn't performed much above average on the inside either. He wasn't on the field at all during the Giants final drive the other night when you'd think the'd want their best pass rushers on the field inside and out.

I don't see any way they pick up his 5th year option.

It's great that they are keeping games close but at some point you'd like to be able to close those games out, particularly when they are ahead late in the 4th quarter.

There has been too much blown coverage's, too many penalties, too many missed tackles and as you mention, zero pass rush whatsoever.

The Giants supposedly have one of the worst offensive lines in the league yet Manning is back there with all the time in the world.

The 49ers blitzed once all night (and got a sack on that play).

Armstead wasn’t on the field during the last drive either and I, nor Shanahan apparently, know why Salah decided that. Some of the formations the team had were baffling, leaving OBJ repeatedly on with one or no coverage.

We’ve a year before we have to think about the option and next season he should get more time with guys leaving (though he should be getting it now). I’m not writing him off yet and as I said it isn’t as if there were multiple guys selected in the next few picks that were options for the 9ers and faired much better.

Giants OL isn’t nearly as bad as they are hyped up to be, especially by Eli apologists. I agree the 49ers should definitely have blitzed more frequently, however I can see why there was fear of it given the mismatches in quality compared to the likes of OBJ, Barkley, Engram. The refs had some terrible calls on some of the Giant’s drives which kept them going.

This is the 3rd Sunday in a row with no 49ers football. I'm sure prime time games are good for US based fans but for me 9pm Sunday is the perfect time.

How about them Raiders?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

How about them Raiders?

We're number 1! We're number 1!

• Advertisement

It's kinda sad that there is 5 weeks of games left in the NFL regular season and as a 49ers fan my eyes are firmly set on scouting which College players I think fits our team next season. As of right now I would trade that number one pick and pick up a glut picks both this year and future and just take a pass rusher around 9 or 10 or in the early teens. If Justin Herbert stays in the draft I would fleece the Denver Broncos or Bucaneers for numerous first round picks.

I'm a big fan of Josh Allen DE/LB, Parris Campbell WR, Michael Jackson CB, Joe Jackson DE/OLB, Jonnah Williams OT, Rashard Lawrence DT, Chase Claypool WR, Ross Pierschbacher OG. David Reese III ILB ( Has a Fred Warner feel to him), Derrick Baity CB, Calvin Throckmorton OG/C and Jerry Tillery NT/DT.

I really hope we have a good off season draft and free agent wise, we have cap space, we need to start using it.

Advertisement