Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

First 24 hours of tampering and the deals look very affordable.

Huge Williams shaped hole outstanding. Not sure if it is a good or bad thing that he hasn't signed somewhere yet - if another team offered massively more I presume he would have already signed.

If he doesn't sign there should be enough space to fill in all the other holes before the draft - leaving his spot as the only dire need. Not taking Wirfs last year will look bad in hindsight but it was worth the gamble once they got Williams.

https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/1371833979611934721?s=20

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So we have Signed Trent Willaims and Alex Mack, the offensive line looks like this:

LT Trent Williams
    LG Laken Tomlinson
    C Alex Mack
    RG Daniel Brunskill
    RT Mike McGlinchey

I think we still need a plan at Center given the age of Alex Mack but is an upgrade over Garland.

Still to find:

Nickel Corner
    Wide Receiver 3

Then depth at defensive back and defensive line. They may look to a backup QB too I guess.

adrian522 wrote: »
    So we have Signed Trent Willaims and Alex Mack, the offensive line looks like this:

LT Trent Williams
    LG Laken Tomlinson
    C Alex Mack
    RG Daniel Brunskill
    RT Mike McGlinchey

I think we still need a plan at Center given the age of Alex Mack but is an upgrade over Garland.

Still to find:

Nickel Corner
    Wide Receiver 3

Then depth at defensive back and defensive line. They may look to a backup QB too I guess.

Delighted with those two signings. Williams was the best guy to hit FA and we got him back. Love he went petty enough to be the highest OL by just $10,000. Seems like a contract that won't be a killer if we wanted to get out of it late in the deal. Mack played his best football under Kyle and though he is aging he is a massive improvement on what we had last year.

Nickel corner is the biggest hole at this point but there are a good few guys still on the market in that position so I'm confident they can make that work.

I'm good if they bring back Garland as backup and/or drafting a day 2 or early day 3 C/G.

I'm not too worried about WR3 - hopefully Hurd can come back but there should be some super cheap guys in FA that will fill that, if not the draft is deep enough to get someone in the 4th or 5th that can slip into a role.

You mentioned depth at DL but I don't think we have a proper Nose Tackle but again cheap FA or later in the draft should fill that. Other starter would be if we want to bring in a proper SS but we shifted scheme last year so there mightn't be as much of a need.

Really perfectly set up for draft to go whatever direction the board falls to us or even be aggressive to move up - not having any true holes.

D.J. Jones re-signed on a 1 year deal. That is nose tackle sorted.

Really felt Jones would get a good deal somewhere else, he is a seriously underrated player - injuries might have gone against him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Pretty under rated position in general and low cap this year means we probably got a bargain there.

• Advertisement

Pretty under rated position in general and low cap this year means we probably got a bargain there.

Talk that there is a quirky rule where you can give a homegrown 4 year player a deal for something like $2.3m while it only going against the cap for $1m. We apparently used it on Blair last year. Would be a nice saving.

Didn't realise Rapoport used underrated to describe him in his announcement of the deal... cringe

The Raiders are signing Solomon Thomas, one year $5m

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

The Raiders are signing Solomon Thomas, one year $5m

End of an era with the Niners...the era of potentially the greatest draft bust.

I thought we might bring him back, they still need a few rotational pieces along the defensive line from either Free agency or the draft but they will have to be at the lower end of the price range.

I thought we might bring him back, they still need a few rotational pieces along the defensive line from either Free agency or the draft but they will have to be at the lower end of the price range.

For sure! Maybe it's Lynch trying to rectify that draft error...get rid of Thomas, get Watson then!!!

• Advertisement

I expected someone would pay him a good bit more than we were willing to. There is always a team or two that will spend extra money based on a player being previously an early draft pick, even if they haven't performed.

Between his output in the past and his injury it is the right move to not go near that price. I never felt he suited our scheme, that tweener role was filled better by other players - in hindsight the pick never made sense even if he performed at a 1st round level. Even if he does end up playing better with the Raiders I don't feel he would have gotten there with us.

Really wish the best for him, seems like a great guy who has gone through terrible tragedy while with the team.

Tartt re-signed for a year and a depth S/ST player in Wilson (likely vet minimum).

Only real gap at this point is Nickel Corner, where Williams is still on the market (with a few suitors) along with a few other options. Normally a spot where it is relatively deep in the draft as many teams don't have the same expectations on the position as we do.

They've really done a fantastic job with bringing back guys, especially presuming some additional depth pieces will come along as we have more cap space.

Flacco visited the team and if we could get a super cheap deal would be perfect whether we draft a QB in round 1 or don't. My call on Trubisky signing a dirt cheap backup deal came through, but he ended up with the Bills.

At this stage it really feels like we're going to move up for a QB in the 1st round if they can get to a guy they like - they hopefully won't be in the position to grab a guy again for a few years. Given his cap hit and contract situation, I don't see Darnold as making any sense. Presume Lawrence and Wilson are no-gos, the others all have their strengths and flaws. Fields or Lance could do with a year sitting behind Jimmy and given Kyle's experience with Fields I trust him if he goes that direction. Most scared of Jones due to his limited athleticism but he skillset suits our offense so I wouldnt be as scared as any other fanbase should be.

No Flacco. Normally backup QB wouldn't be much of an issue, but if the team rolls with #10 there really needs to be someone who can at least challenge for wins if he's missing. Hard to know at this stage...possible draft pick (Lance/Mac) to sit behind JG & Rosen (he'll know the playbook at least) maybe. Or Watson if this mess he's in gets sorted somehow. I'm less enthusiastic about a Stanford QB 'project' that has been mentioned. Lynch does like his Stanford guys. But the last two QB projects didn't exactly work out!

Oh & Kerry Hyder gone to Seattle!

Rosen is underrated. I wouldnt like him being the starter but I think hes a fine backup

myate wrote: »
    No Flacco. Normally backup QB wouldn't be much of an issue, but if the team rolls with #10 there really needs to be someone who can at least challenge for wins if he's missing. Hard to know at this stage...possible draft pick (Lance/Mac) to sit behind JG & Rosen (he'll know the playbook at least) maybe. Or Watson if this mess he's in gets sorted somehow. I'm less enthusiastic about a Stanford QB 'project' that has been mentioned. Lynch does like his Stanford guys. But the last two QB projects didn't exactly work out!

Oh & Kerry Hyder gone to Seattle!

QB projects weren't bad - better than how most UDFA and very late 3rd rounders do (6th QB picked that year).

Since Kyle's friend Chris Simms hyped up Kellen Mond in his QB rankings I watched some of him and I'm liking what I've seen. A guy you wouldn't want to start the season with but a perfect guy with a high ceiling to sit a year and should be available in the 2nd. The one guy I want nothing to do with is Trask - he has all the same weaknesses as Jimmy and I think Jimmy's level is his ceiling.

Not too unhappy with Hyder leaving. Aging and one good year of production so wasn't worth the price - I wouldn't want to be them and relying on him as the key to their pass rush. It will however be very frustrating if Witherspoon and Hyder join Reed in playing better when joining the Seahawks. They really love our leftovers.

It used to be the other way round...we used to get Seattle's leftovers! K'wan Williams just signed a 1 year deal.

With that signing we've really set out guys that can starter across the team. Draft can focus on getting guys who we think can train up when these guys hit the market again next year and want to be paid. Really impressive for the team to be able to bring back so many, they all seemed to be delighted to be returning.

Still have some good cap space left to spend or potentially work on extending Warner. Ford did us a huge favour with restructuring - apparently he might even be back at some point.

CJ Bethard to the Jags. If they draft Lawrence they'll have a very long haired QB room!

Niners apparently trading for Minshew to be their backup!

CJ Bethard to the Jags. If they draft Lawrence they'll have a very long haired QB room!

Niners apparently trading for Minshew to be their backup!

Would be happy with Minshew him as a backup once the cost wasn't more than a Day 3 pick. I'd say him and Kittle would have a great time together

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

:eek:

• Advertisement

Indeed.

Wilson it is. Gotta be.

I'd planned to do a big draft write up over the weekend - glad they announced it today than Monday.

Lynch & Kyle are doing media on Monday so will be interesting to hear more.

Wilson it is. Gotta be.

I think he'll be gone to the Jets at 2.

Fields is the guy that Shanahan couldn't have scouted more with him being in his camps. I'm sure he is more than happy with all 3

Schefter saying there are 3 QB's they'd be happy with. I'd imagine Wilson if he's there, Fields if he's not.

Or you know maybe they draft a big D-line man as usual.

I would have thought no one worth moving up for unless Wilson. You never know, might have had a wee chat with Salah to see what they are doing!! KNBR going to town on it now...good listen to. Wilson is throwing right now also in his pro day on NFL Network.

I'm not sure Saleh has all that much input into personnel decisions if free agency is anything to go by.

I would have thought no one worth moving up for unless Wilson. You never know, might have had a wee chat with Salah to see what they are doing!! KNBR going to town on it now...good listen to. Wilson is throwing right now also in his pro day on NFL Network.

You have to look at where they'd get another QB otherwise. The had a historically bad run of injuries last year and still ended up pick 12. They'd likely have to give up even more another year or else hope a later round dart throw is lucky.

To me Wilson is better but Kyle knows Fields better than anyone in the draft, whether he is in or out on him he couldn't have more data.

I'll spend the next month dreading the idea of them picking Mac Jones that high - I'd talked myself into him at 12 or a small trade up but it is way too rich now.

So many differing opinions...its going to go back & forth for the next month. Kyle knows who he wants & we'll just have to wait until the draft to find out.
    All I know is I'd rather not have somebody who is super mobile but can't read through his progressions quick enough...we've had that already & seen how it worked out...and at the time Kyle did not want him, and chose to roll with Hoyer instead!

• Advertisement

So many differing opinions...its going to go back & forth for the next month. Kyle knows who he wants & we'll just have to wait until the draft to find out.
    All I know is I'd rather not have somebody who is super mobile but can't read through his progressions quick enough...we've had that already & seen how it worked out...and at the time Kyle did not want him, and chose to roll with Hoyer instead!

I'm the opposite, we've seen over the last few years the limitations of having Jimmy as our QB, especially having to play at least 4 games against guys who can throw and be mobile. Kyle can scheme guys open, I hope we haven't given up that number of picks for someone who can't provide multiple threats.

I think any of the likely 3 can succeed with the 49ers but one guy, Mac Jones, stands out as having a ceiling as only slightly higher than Jimmy. That's fine during a rookie contracts but then becomes a burden after that. Jones does a lot of what Kyle appears to covet but far from all, for example he has barely any experience with boot action and doesn't look athletically able to do it - forget about the mobility that most successful young QBs have.

Overall I think what a lot of people think Kyle wants in a QB is down to who ended up with him as a coach, not who he picked. People make a lot of him wanting to draft Cousins but they also had Russel Wilson on their board but he went before. I do agree with your point, it'll be a long month waiting to find out

Advertisement