Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

adrian522 wrote: »

Well it’s past twelve o clock on the west coast so maybe he’s lofting pints ? It’s a bit bizarre and I don’t think of the york/ De Bartolo family as having jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well it’s past twelve o clock on the west coast so maybe he’s lofting pints ? It’s a bit bizarre and I don’t think of the york/ De Bartolo family as having jokes.

Jed has warmed up a bit recently - is obviously much more comfortable with the current coach/GM combo than Harbaugh (who wouldn't be given what a maniac Harbaugh was). A few months ago he was sending drunk tweets with Lynch during his birthday party, where they were also drinking with Kyle.

Per drafts the pick ended up being pretty close to a toss up. Very different paths to get there

https://twitter.com/benj_robinson/status/1387898773620367360?s=20

Kyle on local radio saying the whole Mac thing was nonsense. Easy to say now but absolutely nothing pointed to it aside from the media.

https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/1387938914200002560?s=20

From what Kyle says, I don't believe this was a last minute decision

https://twitter.com/49ers/status/1387960184203485189?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Trust the process. This team doesn’t leak. Hope they pay Jimmy & let him play & win & teach for the year.

Nearly 24 hours now since the pick and the sense of relief is still there. Always felt Jones didn't make sense from everything we knew about the Shanahan over the last few years but I let the media wear me down. Unsurprisingly, I haven't seen the media put their hands up about being so wrong, especially those who were aggressive towards 49ers fans who didn't just accept the crap they were peddling for a month.

To avoid disappointment I hadn't really let myself fully embrace what Lance could do with Kyle. I know he has things to work on but after having years of Wilson twice a season breaking hearts doing things outside of structure it is going to be amazing to have a player be able to do that for us. Add to that how his running ability should make the team's overall running game even more of a weapon. He is so young too, we could have our QB for the next 15+ years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It simply never made sense that they would trade up and spend that kind of capital for a player they could almost definitely get significantly lower.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It simply never made sense that they would trade up and spend that kind of capital for a player they could almost definitely get significantly lower.

Especially for a guy with the same skillset as Garoppolo, at least has potential above what we currently have.

Very happy with the draft so far.

Interesting that they finally put some investment into the guard position. 'Dancing Bear' doesn't really look like the normal type but spending that bit more means they can get size and a guy who can move. Very good in pass protection should give whoever is QB more time.

I'm all against drafting RBs early but late 3rd is in the right window for an upper end guy. Sermon fits the scheme perfectly and will be the biggest back. After only seeing him towards the tail end of the college season last year, I was shocked he wasn't seen as a higher ranked RB. Not concerned about trading two 4ths to move up - it was just the capital from trading back earlier. If the roster had more holes I'd be all for getting as many picks as possible but the need is quality rather than quantity.

Thomas seems like a great value pick after sitting out last season. Fits the size and speed they normally looks for and depth at CB was needed. Wouldn't be surprised to see them dipping into DB again, potentially a nickel/safety type guy.

Interesting to see how the team approaches today. 3 picks in the 5th - usually the round they find the most value - and then an early 6th. With the lack of potential roster spots I wouldn't be surprised if they combine a few to move up. It would be ideal to have gotten some picks for next year but everyone seems to be holding on to them very tightly.

• Advertisement

Same again it seems. Best guys or just doubling down?

Super solid draft. Already starting to take UDA's. Still think they need a proven WR free agent...I don't trust Deebo to stay healthy all season, unless he's lost a few pounds in the offseason.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm not as impressed by the draft as a lot seem to be.

I thought they needed to add a starting caliber CB and a slot WR but they didn't do either. I also thought they would have taken a pass rusher at some point but maybe they feel confidence in Ford playing this year.

It seems like they could have got their corner back in round 2 and still got banks in round 3 (or another guard at that point).

Drafting 2 running backs seems strange also, hard to see them all making the team. On the plus side they have really added some depth along the offensive line and in the secondary. I'd expect pass protection to be better next season and always good to have 6 or 7 reliable options on the offensive line.

With the secondary it is hard to know, I don't really think Mosley is good enough, maybe borderline starter but I'd have thought he would be more effective as your first backup. As things stand any injury to Verett, Mosley or Williams leaves them really exposed at that position.

At WR after Samuel and Aiyuk there really isn't much. Maybe they expect Hurd to play or R,ichie James to develop but it seems they are fairly short handed there also.

The SF Chronicle reporting quote from John Lynch saying Niners will pay Jimmy's contract salary this year...24 mil.

myate wrote: »
    The SF Chronicle reporting quote from John Lynch saying Niners will pay Jimmy's contract salary this year...24 mil.

Yeah, its fully guaranteed if he's on the roster week 1 so no choice really. He's more valuable on the roster than whatever they could get for him via trade, especially after Chicago and New England drafted first round QB's.

The only way I see a trade is if a contending team QB goes down in training camp and they offer a significant trade deal.

I thought they needed to add a starting caliber CB and a slot WR but they didn't do either. I also thought they would have taken a pass rusher at some point but maybe they feel confidence in Ford playing this year.

It seems like they could have got their corner back in round 2 and still got banks in round 3 (or another guard at that point).

Drafting 2 running backs seems strange also, hard to see them all making the team. On the plus side they have really added some depth along the offensive line and in the secondary. I'd expect pass protection to be better next season and always good to have 6 or 7 reliable options on the offensive line.

With the secondary it is hard to know, I don't really think Mosley is good enough, maybe borderline starter but I'd have thought he would be more effective as your first backup. As things stand any injury to Verett, Mosley or Williams leaves them really exposed at that position.

At WR after Samuel and Aiyuk there really isn't much. Maybe they expect Hurd to play or R,ichie James to develop but it seems they are fairly short handed there also.

In theory we have a solid 4 running backs, quality te and 2 Starting quality recievers if hurd could stay healthy. The additional line picks I assume cements the offensive system for our new qb and his cheap salary.

I would have liked a quality cb as well but maybe we did get one. In that case I think we are, on paper at least, a sb team with cap space being ok once jimmy goes next year.

I think everything you said is valid and concerns warranted but I have a different perspective.

The way the talent and board fell I'm don't believe they had many options when it came to starting quality CBs on the outside. It was deep with nickel guys but the drop off was huge on the outside, especially ones that fit the type for the 49ers scheme. Thomas ticks those boxes and has the upside of dropping due to sitting out (also a kick returner which we've been missing). Getting a starting nickel in the 2nd or 3rd would mean pushing Williams to the bench, so we weren't gaining a starter anyway. We hit that depth spot at nickel later on and Lenoir that has also played outside.

For Edge, like a lot of positions, I think they were happy with who they had unless a guy fell who made them that was great value. We don't really have any spots open right now in that position, even if Ford goes on IR it means beating out Key (who just signed and played 37 NFL games) or Willis (traded for last season and played 7 games). There are also a lot of decent to good FAs still on the market if they need to go that route. For example, if Blair can prove his fitness I'd much rather have him back on a prove it deal than a late round rookie.

We are light on WR but they seem confident on Hurd finally being able to play, James has been decent when used, Sanu was apparently dealing with injuries last season so hopefully won't be the shell he seemed, they still have Jennings who they picked up late in the draft last year and was injured, and they signed Sherfield in FA, who is mostly a special teams guy but apparently 49ers sold themselves to him on getting more of an opportunity at WR. The team also picked up Watkins as an UDFA (cousin of Sammy), who most analysts had being drafted between the 4th and 6th rounds. Again, there are also some FAs out there too, along with guys who teams will be letting go.

Agree on the 2 RBs but they admitted that it wasn't the plan. Both Sermon and Mitchell look perfect fits for different elements of our scheme. Louis Riddick called Mitchell the 'steal of the draft', I can't argue with throwing a 6th round pick at a guy like that when only one player is under contract beyond this coming season, the position is so important to the team, and it would be surprising if all RBs make it through camp without an injury.

Well worth a listen...Kyle on Rich Eisen show, probably best interview regarding how they came to Trey Lance.

Below was what I thought SF would do this offseason....
    The team was built to win this year. They have around 40 free agents. They have non CB's signed next year. I guess this offseason:

* Sign Trent Williams - Yes
    * Sign Jason Verrett - Yes
    * Let Sherman go - Yes
    * Cut Dee Ford - No, still on the roster, restructured his deal, presumably they expect him to contribute this season.
    * Kawann Williams - Probably have to let him go given the cap situation. - Getting him back was a good bit of business and also surprising.
    * Jimmy - I think you bring him back there are no better options there right now. - Yes and No.
    * Draft a QB (Not necessarily in the first round but someone with some potential) - Yes.
    * Bring in a veteran QB to complete and at least act as a competent backup. - No, went with the first round mega trade instead!
    * Move on from Mullens/Bethard - Yes
    * Extend Fred Warner - Not yet, but I still expect this to happen.
    * Draft a CB, Interior O-Line, Pass Rusher (again) - 2 out of 3, no pass rushers drafted but added to that group in Free agency.
    * Top up talent along O-line and secondary in free agency. - Yes and also added talent here via the draft.
    * Figure out an option at Center. - Signed Alex Mack
    * Don't waste any money on running backs. -- mmm, not wasted money but spent draft capital on 2 running backs, including a trade up.
    * Consider cutting Juzchek and Gould to free up some cash. - No. Resigned both these guys.

Jimmy exists!!! He’s done a couple of interviews today! Sounds as always, professional, calm, well spoken, looking forward to playing. This really has the potential to be solid for TL before he takes over.

• Advertisement

Jimmy exists!!! He’s done a couple of interviews today! Sounds as always, professional, calm, well spoken, looking forward to playing. This really has the potential to be solid for TL before he takes over.

Wasn't one bit surprised by those comments, throughout his career he has always been such a good guy and a great professional.

Like when Smith left, I'll be willing him to succeed wherever he ends up.

Hopefully he realised, as most professional do, that its on the senior men to assist the rookies. Unlike his own rookie experience with Brady

Seems to be a lot of smoke about Sherman coming back to the 9ers - likely from Sherman's camp.

What are people feeling about that? To me it is all about what the cost is, if he is relatively cheap then he'd be good cover and coach for the DBs and Lance. I'd hate it if it was for him to start for starter money. I think the player we saw last year was hampered by injury but he is a liability to get injured again and I don't have faith that he won't get picked on.

On a different tangent altogether, the below makes me more comfortable with our current GM

https://twitter.com/SourdeathSam/status/1390189027123294211?s=20

Yeah, he seemed to have lost what little pace he had after the injury last season.

He'd still be worth a roster spot but I wouldn't have him playing every snap, Mosely and Verett would be the starters on the outside, but he'd be good to bring in and out when needed.

Sherman was a great addition for the leadership and role model aspect alone. He really brought maturity and a professional demeander to the team. Im not saying the likes of Joe werent professional but Sherman appeared to be more involved in mentoring and supporting rookies. He was at every hearing with Foster and made himself available to the guy. Sadly there was no saving that wreck at the time.

Cheap contract and hes absolutely worth bringing back as a backup / role model player.

People complain about Jimmy’s injuries...Sherman played all of 5 games last year & was burned quite a bit. If he comes back I hope they/he consider trying him at safety. He’d be a great ‘teacher’ to young guys but knowing Sherman he wants to play CB. Another intelligent guy, great to have in the locker room but at the right price.

Was pretty much a given Baalke would draft some acl guys!!!!

Week 1 opponents are the Lions in Detroit, 6pm our time! Rest of schedule tonight. Hope it's another east coaster week 2, get two of them over with quickly.

Week 1 opponents are the Lions in Detroit, 6pm our time! Rest of schedule tonight. Hope it's another east coaster week 2, get two of them over with quickly.

Yeah, its Philadelphia on the road in week 2.

That damn early bye week...at least it's week 6 not 4 like 2019....that season worked out pretty well, so we'll see.
    Depending on how things roll, Kyle's plan, how fast TL learns, could be an opportunity to start him after the bye. Personally I rather JG balls out & plays the whole season...but you know he'll be under a microscope & anything more than 1 INT a game, and media/fans will be calling for TL to start, especially if his preseason games go well.

• Advertisement

I like being on SNF on a bank holiday weekend!

Advertisement