Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Taking your point on board then the 49ners given their past record under Montana have underperformed terribly over the last decade while the Giants, Green Bay, and the Saints have all one the big one and in some cases more than once. Therefore this points to my original confidence in Green Bay winning in Candle Stick because Green Bay in the recent past have shown they are a big time team whilst San Fran bottled it last year at home. They remind me of the Falcons in that way

I don't know where to start with this one, you are going back to the days of Montana, which is pretty much irrelevant at this stage.

So green bay have shown they are a big time team while San Fran bottled it? I refer you to last years divisional games in the NFC, watch those and then come back to me, you might learn something and be able to give an informed opinion.

The teams will be more representative of what we will see on Saturday then whatever happened in the 90s , ancient history to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

adrian522 wrote: »
    I don't know where to start with this one, you are going back to the days of Montana, which is pretty much irrelevant at this stage.

So green bay have shown they are a big time team while San Fran bottled it? I refer you to last years divisional games in the NFC, watch those and then come back to me, you might learn something and be able to give an informed opinion.

The teams will be more representative of what we will see on Saturday then whatever happened in the 90s , ancient history to be honest.

Winning back to back Superbowls in the modern era is almost impossible so dont be too hard on Green Bay. But the 49ners had not been to the big dance in a long time and they still came up short at home. Your comparing apples to oranges there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm not going to reply to you anymore.

Its not the first time a beautiful lady has given me the silent treatment!

mongoman wrote: »
    I'm a long time Niners fan who grew up with Montana, first time to post in here. Glad to see Smith getting sidelined, tough alright, but kaepernick brings an x factor Smith hasn't got. Green Bay are coming on form at the right time, it's gonna be close.
    Great to have another niners fan here:-)

I agree think it will be close, could go either way. We'll need Justin smith to play and whatever kicker we go with to make his kicks.

On a seperate note with 2 teams in the divisional round the days f the NFC worst are certainly in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

You won't be the first person to do that, this guy has been trolling the whole forum, a complete waste of space.

Great to have another niners fan here:-)

I agree think it will be close, could go either way. We'll need Justin smith to play and whatever kicker we go with to make his kicks.

On a seperate note with 2 teams in the divisional round the days f the NFC worst are certainly in the past.

We sure do need Smith to deliver and if kaepernick can keep showing the exciting promise we've seen. Then I think we can edge it.

level I ve coached at I helped train more Olympic medal winners than you have had women.

Spoken like a true bull****ter :rolleyes:, do your parents know you're not in bed yet?

mongoman wrote: »
    Spoken like a true bull****ter :rolleyes:, do your parents know you're not in bed yet?

Im in my sixties you know and maybe if you look through my posting history you will find I am not talking bull. I dont like to curse and neither should you. Good manners and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Im in my sixties you know and maybe if you look through my posting history you will find I am not talking bull. I dont like to curse and neither should you. Good manners and all that

You posted 2 years ago saying you were 35 and wanted to run a sub 10s 100m race! :pac:

• Advertisement

Yes, definitely way past your bedtime, sleep deprivation is clearly having an effect on you.

The biggest game of the season is on THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW.:D

I feel like a kid coming up to Christmas, really looking forward to it, pity its the late game or I'd be in the woolshed like I was last year.

I'm so nervous about how this will go, Green Bay have the ability to run up a huge score and I don't think we can keep pace if it turns into a shootout and Rodgers is at his best.

I think if SF get ahead and are able to control the clock we will have a great chance.

I think we need to get the run game going, Gore, Lamichael James and Kaepernick. A few deep shots. I expect Crabtree to be double covered, especially on 3rd down, we will need either Moss to step up or else involve Vernon Davis a bit more. Not sure why we haven't used him more.

AJ jenkins was a first round pick but still doesn't have a catch, not hugely confident about him to be honest.

I expect Kaepernick to have a good game, hopefully no INT's and no wasted timeouts due to not getting the play off in time.

On the other side of the ball we need to pretty much shut down their run game (which I think we will) but we also need to be getting pressure on Rodgers without blitzing a whole lot, this will be the key to the game for me.

If we can get to Rodgers with a 4 man rush we'll have a great chance.

Looks like Justin Smith will play, hope he is close to his best because we will need him.

Also some of the Packers players have not been practicing, Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb, not sure what that means but Nelson has been injured for a lot of the season.

Can't wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

I am ****ting it, not much more I can add right now. Not fear, just nerves. It really is toss of a coin stuff. I give us the slightest of slight edges based on home advantage, coming off a bye week (and plenty of prep work done on greenbay)and hopefully, the return of Justin Smith.
    Off the drink for January too, not sure I'll cope on Saturday night/Sunday morn.
    Get thru this and we're going to New Orleans. There, I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

The video for this weeks game isn't up yet but just something to get you fired up.

Go 49ers!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lavine7

Akers kept in starting role in special team. Hopefully the signing of Cundiff had the desired effect of lighting a fire under Akers and motivating him to perform.

In such a tight game, it could easily come down to a kick.

lavine7 wrote: »
    Akers kept in starting role in special team. Hopefully the signing of Cundiff had the desired effect of lighting a fire under Akers and motivating him to perform.

In such a tight game, it could easily come down to a kick.

Hoe it doesn't because I've no confidence in Akers whatsoever, also not sure how bringing in another kicker is supposed to help his confidence or whatever.

I could see a bit more going for it on 4th down if its around the 35 yard line, anything longer than a 40 yard field goal has been very dodgy this season.

Only upside is Green Bay kicking has been jut as bad as ours.

EDIT: "He's missed 11 of 19 kicks from 40 yards or more and has a 69 percent field goal percentage on the season.

Only one full-time kicker, Green Bay's Mason Crosby, fared worse during the regular season."

Apparently there was one clear winner in training taking the kicks and now that appears to have been Akers. I can't imagine the kickers in practice and not kicking from long distances persistently so Akers must be holding up with all his kicks. But it all comes down to pressure, this year Akers missed two chances to win us a game and fluffed both and Cunniff's record isn't much better. Hopefully we won't have to worry about the kicker on Saturday.

Yes but he has been making kicks in practice and even in pre game all season, as you say he has struggled under pressure this season and the pressure will be pretty intense tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Tick tock tick tock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Not long to go now! Staying up for it. Go Niners!!! :D

• Advertisement

Season comes down to tonight, cant afford any mistakes, new sig for the occasion,

Should be good, still a long time till 1am though..

This is it, one game, the whole season could be over so quickly and then that dead feeling like after the Giants game last year.You know the feeling. The euphoria we all got when Alex threw that game winning touchdown against the Saints. All the emotion that poured from 49er fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Over here in SF for work and the atmosphere last night was crazy, way better than for the Giants (baseball) when I was over last time.
    The 101 this lunchtime is already clogged with fans in their cars. Managed to score a ticket from one of the americans in work so this will be my first NFL game on US soil....coming from a Bears fan I'm a bit sad its not the Bears but I'm seriously hyped up for it. I'm 49ers all the way for this one!
    If I get any good pics I'll post them up after the match.

lafors wrote: »
    Managed to score a ticket from one of the americans in work so this will be my first NFL game on US soil

Make sure you don't get stuck in Hunters Point, like I did once :(

Give us a rundown of the game experience tomorrow.

The weather shouldn't be an issue anyway

http://t.co/55gpgyW3

Patrick Willis video, duracell ad...

http://t.co/xBST4a5S

Cundiff is inactive today, so it will be Makers missing the kicks.

lafors wrote: »
    Over here in SF for work and the atmosphere last night was crazy, way better than for the Giants (baseball) when I was over last time.
    The 101 this lunchtime is already clogged with fans in their cars.

Congrats on scoring a ticket you lucky b*****d, but how did you even go to a baseball game? Did you lose the will to live and hope to die in your sleep during the game? :D

Back to the Packers game, we need to seriously upset Rodgers, he's in a rich vein of form at the moment. Hopefully though their O line will become sack central again. They gave up 51 sacks during the season hopefully we can add a lot more.

• Advertisement

I wish this game would just end I'm missing the 49er game!!!!

You wait a whole week hoping no stupid mistakes and the Kappy throws a pick

Advertisement