Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think the best we'll get is a 4th or maybe a 3rd round pick, but as you say whatever we can get we should take.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

adrian522 wrote: »
    What would you think of Revis to the 49ers?

I think if we could include Alex Smith in the deal plus maybe a mid round draft pick it would be a great bit of business, but a bit of work would need to be done on the cap to make it happen.

Revis at SF would make for an insanely good defense, just hope he doesnt wind up in Seattle

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130940/article/darrelle-revis-which-teams-will-go-after-jets-cb

Was reading elsewhere that the Jets can't afford to get rid of Sanchez, and are about 20 million over salary cap at the moment. How much would they save by trading Revis? Presume Smith's salary is massive?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Smiths Salary isn't huge, owed $6.75 this year I think. SF would also need to clear some cap room in order to get Revis, not sure how this would be achieved, maybe cutting Rogers and/or Goodwin.

Have a read here if you're interested:

http://www.examiner.com/article/49ers-are-interested-darrelle-revis-but-is-it-possible

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

According to that article: "Smith's cap hit will be $9.75 million in 2013 and the Jets are already over the cap limit which would create their own problem with contracts." I think they would have to pay something like 17 million to cut Sanchez, not sure how much it costs to keep him on the bench.

Well they have to pay that money to Sanchez whether they keep him or not. Trade is probably not going to happen anyway. would have been a nice addition though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Either way I can't see Smith a 49er next year, a good move for him would be to the Jags and then prove how good a QB he really is(And any 49er fan who has his jersey can wear it in London! ). 49ers need a kicker badly, and I think the defensive line needs more back up, when Justin Smith was injured it really showed in the performance. And is A.J Jenkins a lost cause I hope they give him another chance, disaster of a first season but I still think he has potential.

Dymo wrote: »
    And is A.J Jenkins a lost cause I hope they give him another chance, disaster of a first season but I still think he has potential.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll keep him around for another year but really with Williams and Manningham getting injured he should have stepped up by now.

If he has a strong training camp he could move up the depth chart but it doesn't look good that both Ted Ginn and Chad Hall appear to be getting more snaps than he is.

I was reading a mock draft from immediately before the 2005 draft over on walterfootball.com. This is what they had to say on the 49ers decision at 1st overall
    For months, this mock draft has disregarded the possibility of San Francisco drafting a quarterback, based on the fact that the 49ers are very stingy with their money. Another reason was San Francisco wanted Matt Leinart, who decided to stay in school.

Things have changed. Talks between the 49ers and Aaron Rodgers' agent have been going smoothly, while head coach Mike Nolan has his eyes set on drafting Alex Smith. If San Francisco can agree to terms with Smith prior to this weekend's draft, they will select the quarterback out of Utah. However, Smith wants more money than Eli Manning was paid last year, while the 49ers organization is stingier with cash than George Costanza. A deal will probably not be completed, meaning Nolan will have to settle with Rodgers, who is willing to take less money to stay in the Bay Area.

Saturday Update: Sources have reported that the 49ers will indeed draft Alex Smith, but they will try to trade him to the team that drafts Aaron Rodgers for the California quarterback and a few draft picks. Tampa Bay wants Smith, so they may draft Rodgers and orchestrate a trade with San Francisco.

Wow. Quite the deliberations that were going on. It would have been something to pull off to draft Smith, then trade him for Rodgers Plus some picks. hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

For the record Walterfootball had Rodgers going to Tampa Bay at number 5
    It is well known that starting receiver Michael Clayton is lobbying for Mike Williams. Gruden struck gold by drafting Clayton in 2004 but Tampa Bay has absolutely nothing around him at the receiver position, so why not draft Williams to create arguably the best, young receiving duo in the NFL? However, the Buccaneers really want Alex Smith, meaning they could draft Aaron Rodgers (best quarterback in this draft) to deal him to the 49ers with some draft picks in exchange for Smith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

mickmc7 wrote: »
    As for Smith, no room in this game for sentimentality or doing the right thing by him, sorry. Trade him to the very best advantage of the 49ers.

+1 and Smith has been way to bruised this season to even contemplate staying imo. Was skeptical myself at the start, but the Kaepernick decision has been well vindicated by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Getting excited

• Advertisement

Decent review of the big game over on grantland.com, be warned it's a lengthy read, but what else are you going to be doing of a Friday afternoon.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8904381/bill-barnwell-picks-super-bowl-winner

For what its worth I think SF will win this based on being able to run the ball(via Gore/Kepernick/James) this should keep the down and distance manageable and allow Kaepernick to make a few plays.

Flacco and Torrey Smith do worry me but if we can keep on top of their rushing game with the front 7 and keep our safeties deep it will be difficult for them to convert the big plays.

Now please don't let them get out to a 17 point lead, my heart can't take that again.

Go Niners.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTm5sYAnmZYV-BHvIYP7x3v42duERSiYLn8dIxt0tJgKTgfbsQMnQ

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Nearly there. Cannot wait. Decided to watch it at home as opposed to heading into town to one of the superbowl parties. Fridge full of beer, pizza etc. Patrick willis jersey at the ready!
    As for the game, I'm ridiculously nervous but deep down I'm confident that we can get the job done. Hopefully we get out of the blocks quickly, but I won't panic should we go behind early. Defence to do what they've done all year, high intensity and non stop pressure. With the odd exception, the offence has improved with each game since Kaepernick has come in and we now look really dangerous with the ball. Hopefully himself and gore will benefit again by the ravens D not knowing where the focus should be.
    The one big obvious worry is Akers, he terrifies me. I'm praying he won't be needed and touchdowns win this.
    Anyway, "enjoy" it folks, it's going to be epic!

Getting close now, heading out soon, hopefully Kap dooesnt freeze on the big stage, think our leaders will pull us through...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Quietly confident here now, but we saw what Matt Ryan did to our defense in the first quarter, hopefully they'll have that address'ed.

staying at home too, BBC HD should be a great picture too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Nice recovery from Vernon...

vernonbump_original.gif?1359928539

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hard luck to all you Niners fans and chin up because your future is undoubtedly bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Good fight from the Niners in the second half but they just dug themselves into too big a hole. Hard luck guys but the last two year have shown just how solid this team is and the future is very bright for them

Very difficult defeat to take, I thought the game was there for us in the end, Colin made some poor decisions but really I would have expected the defense to have played a lot better, to have come up with a few more stops maybe a few takeaways.

The touchdown on the kickoff was a killer to start the second half and we just left ourselves too much to do, having said all that I would thought we could have punched that in at the end and pulled off another great comeback.

I don't know where we go from here, so close the last 2 years it's hard to see us keep this up, also don't know how many more years Justin Smith has left.

Anyway, the defeat hurts worse than last years championship game but hopefully they can come back stronger next year...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Very difficult defeat to take, I thought the game was there for us in the end, Colin made some poor decisions but really I would have expected the defense to have played a lot better, to have come up with a few more stops maybe a few takeaways.

The touchdown on the kickoff was a killer to start the second half and we just left ourselves too much to do, having said all that I would thought we could have punched that in at the end and pulled off another great comeback.

I don't know where we go from here, so close the last 2 years it's hard to see us keep this up, also don't know how many more years Justin Smith has left.

Anyway, the defeat hurts worse than last years championship game but hopefully they can come back stronger next year...

Have a feeling Packers and Niners will cross paths next year.

Commiserations on the defeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The cap situation would worry me with the Niners, surely it'll be very hard to keep that defence together for another year. Smith leaving will help but if the Niners don't fall back somewhat next season it'll be because of very creative and intelligent work by the GM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

the defeat hurts worse than last years championship game but hopefully they can come back stronger next year...

Oh boy does it hurt :(, kinda realise now how spoiled we were as Montana rolled out SB win after SB win. Still, we'll pick ourselves up and come back stronger next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

What kind of draft pick do you think you'd get for Alex Smith?

3rd or 4th rounder id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I'd imagine higher with the bad quality qb's in this years draft

Arawn wrote: »
    I'd imagine higher with the bad quality qb's in this years draft

Possibly but everyone knows he'll be a FA by 1st April anyway so probably wont want to give up too much for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Possibly but everyone knows he'll be a FA by 1st April anyway so probably wont want to give up too much for him.

True but you have to look at the other teams who'll need a qb, there's vick,flynn and smith coming out and to me smith is the best out of those 3. Would you really want your team to play safe and end up with vick??

Yeah, probably the best of them and his contract isnt too bad for a starting QB, they won't trade him to Arizona, could see him going to Cleveland or Kansas.

Wissh him all the best, he's handled himself with a huge amount of class this year,

What do you think we should look for for Alex Smith, and do you think we should pay his roster bonus if no trade is completed by end of March?

Good fan post on the subject here if you have the time to read it...

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/2/6/3951404/alex-smith-release-or-trade-if-trade-for-what-to-whom

• Advertisement

Not much interest in Alex apparently...
    Chris Mortensen of ESPN wrote that the market for 49ers’ quarterback Alex Smith is cold. According to Mortensen, the Browns signing Smith is a long shot, and the Jets apparently can’t afford him. The Chiefs are more interested in draft-eligible players and the 49ers would like to block any move to Arizona.

So where does that leave Smith? Is the solution keeping Smith with the team where he would earn $7.5 million as Colin Kaepernick’s backup?

Team chemistry has to be considered. Smith would likely be the good soldier, but what would other players think? 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said he is Alex Smith’s friend. If that’s the case, he wouldn’t keep Smith a 49er against his will.

Some players were upset Smith was benched; how would they react if he was forced to be a backup? That could have serious repercussions for team chemistry.

The solution? Tell Smith he can go anywhere he wants except Arizona, or he can stay with the 49ers. It may turn out that the best scenario for Smith and the 49ers is for Smith to stay in San Francisco red and gold.

Advertisement