Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Cost Holidays

Options
  • 26-07-2012 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I booked a holiday with Low Cost Holidays on line, however later on I checked my credit card and noticed they had taken an extra €1300.oo from my account. Although it showed as pending in the credit card statement it reduced my remaining credit by that amount. When I notified Low Cost Holidays they admitted that €1300 was taken in error and said they would replace it. When I asked 'when' they said it would be between 5 & 10 working days. I'm already at my credit limit on the credit card. Is there anything I can do about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Get on to your bank - it will still take as long but this, potentially, sounds like very suspect behaviour.

If you haven't had a credit limit increase in six months the bank may oblige you with one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Get on to your bank - it will still take as long but this, potentially, sounds like very suspect behaviour.

If you haven't had a credit limit increase in six months the bank may oblige you with one.
    OK! My credit card is MBNA... but I still think the fact that they can instantly take the money from my account, say sorry, and then take over a week to put it back, is outrageous :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

LOL Look at workingfools ghost transaction thread - the whole banking system isn't very customer focused to be honest.

Today I contacted the National Consumer Association who suggested before I do anything else I should formally write to Low Cost Holidays which I've now done. Let's see if anything, happens.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

juuge wrote: »
    OK! My credit card is MBNA... but I still think the fact that they can instantly take the money from my account, say sorry, and then take over a week to put it back, is outrageous :mad:

As you have already stated, the money has not actually been taken from your account, a reservation has been placed on it by the credit card company thus reducing your available credit limit. This will automatically disappear after about 10 days, provided the retailer does not process a claim against it.

This is what normally happens when you book a hotel or make a travel reservation. From what I remember, the retailer is not able to reverse this process as the credit card company does not provide them with any means of doing so. They simply have to wait until the reservation expires!

That being the case, I'd suggest the most practical thing to do is contact the credit card company and explain the situation to them. They should be able to arrange a credit until the reservation expires.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that ...
    Because of this I had reached my credit limit with MBNA and called them to explain. They increased my limit by €1400 so good news there. One thing for sure I'll be checking my credit card statement a lot more carefully from now on.

Advertisement