Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VIRGINITY-Why is it such a big deal?

• 26-07-2012 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Ok so I've been doing a fair bit of thinking on this subject as of late and I really don't get it why is loosing your virginity such a big deal ?!

Is it down to the cathloic guilt that's instilled into us as kids ?
    Is it because society associates it with innocennce and purity ?
    Is it because there is huge pressure on people to "loose " it in a mannor thats deemed "correct" so they wont regret it ?
    I mean what's the story ?

Just thought I might get you guys opinion on this matter ? As I for one really don't get it / see what the big deal is....

and I suppose while were here why is sex itself such a big deal, I mean it's just sex a very primal and basic need we have as human beings !?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Pfffffffft, virgin! LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Ok so I've been doing a fair bit of thinking on this subject as of late and I really don't get it why is loosing your virginity such a big deal ?!

Is it because there is huge pressure on people to "loose " it in a mannor thats deemed "correct" so they wont regret it ?

Just thought I might get you guys opinion on this matter ? As I for one really don't get it / see what the big deal is....

and I suppose while were here why is sex itself such a big deal, I mean it's just sex a very primal and basic need we have as human beings !?
    It's not just a need. It's a want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Primitive morality, really. You'll find that most of the shock/horror stuff is aimed at the female of the species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Your not doing it right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This thread's virgin on the ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Because sex is fun and awesome.

That's why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

So when we give them the ride of their life they won't know how crap we are hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

'The actual fúck has happened to After Hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It's not a big deal
    (once you've lost it)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Sex is like air, it's no big deal until your not getting any.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

What's the sexiest city in the world?
    Bangalore.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

It wasnt a big deal to me.

My friends are all like aw I lost it to him at that special place, we'll always have that.

Im like, yeah I lost my virginity in a pub toilet.....big deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Because a wet fanny is a wonderful thing

Girly answer...

Because we can only lose it once and will always remember who it was and where....aw! <3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's rather enjoyable, the sooner you rid of your virginity, the sooner you enjoy it.

Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 32 manicmonkey

Adyx wrote: »
    It's not just a need. It's a want.

Need/want same thing really....
    Nodin wrote: »
    Primitive morality, really. You'll find that most of the shock/horror stuff is aimed at the female of the species.

True , though you would think we would have gotten past all that ****e years ago . I mean were supposed to live in a modern , free and liberal society it really just doesn't make a whole lot of sense other than being very backward.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

True , though you would think we would have gotten past all that ****e years ago . I mean were supposed to live in a modern , free and liberal society it really just doesn't make a whole lot of sense other than being very backward.

Jaysus boy, when they call an orgasm a climax, it's not for nothing like. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'm a virgin. I'm just recycled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭HoggyRS

Sex is only a big deal if you're not getting any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Reminds me of The Inbetweeners scene in the last episode of the last series:

"Then I pushed it in a bit, then out a bit, then in a bit, then my legs ached, then out again, then back in, and then it went off and now she's pregnant." :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

It all goes back to Mary and the immaculate conception. Before then every one was a virgin. Even the ones who had sex. Then God had to go and impregnate her and he ruined it for everyone.

Something like that I think.

It's rather enjoyable, the sooner you rid of your virginity, the sooner you enjoy it.

Simples

Obviously....I just don't see what the big deal is tbh like idk why society puts so much hype around it . Like I was just thinking if there wasnt such a big thing about it would less people regret their first time ? or would anybody regret it at all ?!

I dunno maybe if my first was a bad experience I might get it a bit more but for now I'm just a bit baffled and probably more than tripping out on Hamlet questioning the morality of the world with waaayyy too much time on my hands haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Get a jamjar two thirds fill with liver,warm slightly in oven.Job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

This post makes it a big deal... It obviously matters to you or you wouldn't have put it up here!

"Coming up on TV3 tonight Ireland's Dream Teenage Hymen Breakers"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Why are you thinking about this lately OP? What are you planning, exactly?

Make sure and run any major decisions past us in AH first, we don't want you making a mistake you might regret later. Also, use a condom.

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Sex is only a big deal if you're not getting any.

Which would imply the whole of this lovely nation isn't if you were to read the media and the unfortunate recent hype arond that good awful 50 shades of grey nonsense.... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Virginity is kind of a weird thing :pac:

To a guy, its nothing really. Kind of like "yeah finally had sex, awesome!" lol. But no big deal. To a girl its "something special" - even tho most girls admit its nothing afterwards too.

Which would imply the whole of this lovery nation isn't if you were to read the media and the unfortunate recent hype arond that good awful 50 shades of grey nonsense.... :pac:

Sales of Readers Digest have plummeted since it's release :pac:

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    This post makes it a big deal... It obviously matters to you or you wouldn't have put it up here!

It really doesn't , seems to be though to the majority around me....Thought I'd just post it and see what type of reaction I got I dunno maybe Im just surrounded by a bunch of prudish idiots half the time :L

I dunno maybe Im just surrounded by a bunch of prudish idiots half the time :L

No fear of that here..

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Im like, yeah I lost my virginity in a pub toilet.....big deal

You're welcome ;)

benwavner wrote: »
    You're welcome ;)

Can I have my jocks back now?

He sold them on Ebay

Make sure and run any major decisions past us in AH first, we don't want you making a mistake you might regret later. Also, use a condom.

One condom ? One measley condom ?! I mean I know that times are tight and that but sure there must be at least 20 nuns in the convent down the road and about 50 preists in the seminary that have been locked away for 20 years or more . I'm sure once I convince them to see reason, sense and live a little there all gonna want a go if not more. So you see one will not simply be enough ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Ok so I've been doing a fair bit of thinking on this subject as of late and I really don't get it

As I for one really don't get it

TL DR edit above

One condom ? One measley condom ?! I mean I know that times are tight and that but sure there must be at least 20 nuns in the convent down the road and about 50 preists in the seminary that have been locked away for 20 years or more . I'm sure once I convince them to see reason, sense and live a little there all gonna want a go if not more. So you see one will not simply be enough ;)

Eh yes it will. You rinse it and use it again...

Recession!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Jeez! Your plans are a lot more ambitious than I'd imagined... :eek:

No chance, Im still sniffing them!

If your scent starts to fade, can you do some lunges in them again for me?

Recession!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It all goes back to Mary and the immaculate conception. Before then every one was a virgin. Even the ones who had sex. Then God had to go and impregnate her and he ruined it for everyone.

Something like that I think.
    But that doesn't answer the question: why did the Catholic Church imbue the character of Mary with that quality, and tell us it was important?

My theory: if a girl was verified to be a virgin - which was quick and easy to check - that was a guarantee that she wasn't (a) knocked up and/or (b) carrying a horrible STD. Particularly important if the girl was valuable as a bride in some inter-tribal exchange. Syphilitic Sluts were worth considerably less on the matrimonial market ... :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Recession!!

Tayto bag is all you need

Recession!!

Cheese and onion on one side and prawn cocktail on the other

Ugh thats gross lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Just make sure it isn't salt and vinegar! Stings like a motherf*cker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Trying to find a girl for your first OP?

Jeez! Your plans are a lot more ambitious than I'd imagined... :eek:

Always have liked to aim high.... ;)

I've figured amongst all my incoherent ramblings that the cathloic church is the root cause of this mindset in Ireland and thus they must be indoctrinated into a more liberal ,free love type approch to sex and sexuality and the only way this may be acheived is for them to experience iot for themselves , see what they've been missing yada yada yada

though If I can't broker a deal with durex I'm thinking of just heading straight for the pope and saving myself all that money.... :p

Always have liked to aim high.... ;)

I've figured amongst all my incoherent ramblings that the cathloic church is the root cause of this mindset in Ireland and thus they must be indoctrinated into a more liberal ,free love type approch to sex and sexuality and the only way this may be acheived is for them to experience iot for themselves , see what they've been missing yada yada yada

though If I can't broker a deal with durex I'm thinking of just heading straight for the pope and saving myself all that money.... :p

You can use my folks 'Free Lifetime Supply' of Durex, they got it when they had me, the rubber split so instead of me having a birth cert I have an apology letter from Durex :rolleyes:

And they got a free lifetime supply so work away on it :p

Recession!!

haha dunno about that now , that would really take an awfully long time for how many coupples/tripples I've planned :p

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Trying to find a girl for your first OP?

Well if I was I really can't have been looking that hard, since last time I checked I'm pretty sure I ticked all the boxes and necessary requirements for to be one of those strange creatures you call women-folk

Though In all honestly sometimes I'm more like a man trapped in a womens body aside from what the pink nail polish and slatherings of make up etc. may suggest :D

MadYaker wrote: »
    Just make sure it isn't salt and vinegar! Stings like a motherf*cker.

Ah but you see some get off on that er....tingly? sensation ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement