Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edamame Beans & Tempeh

Options
  • 26-07-2012 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Could someone help me please?

I am going around the bend with frustration trying to source a shop that sells Edamame Beans and Tempeh.

I did recently (about three months ago) find Edamame Beans and blocks of Tempeh in the Asian Market in Drury Street. Alas they did not have either product in stock last Saturday and from what a sales assistant told me they had no plans to restock either. I also made a phone call to their cash and carry operation but they referred me to Drury Street (as they don't stock either product in the cash and carry).

That then made me determined to make enquires around other Health Food stores and a local Asian store. Neither Nourish or Down To Earth stock Edamame Beans. My local Asian store, yes you guessed it, they didn't stock them either. I know Nourish stock Tempeh in their Wicklow Street store, but thr price they sell it at is unjustifiable.

I know Marks & Spencers stock salads with Edamame Beans, but I want to bulk buy the beans as well as the Tempeh. I looked at Birds Eye's website (as I have seen Edamame Beans in Birds Eye packages online. However they don't seem to stock them for the Irish market.

If anyone can help me I really would appreciate it. I am anxious to find these food sources as they are very high in protein in comparision to other beans and pulses. I run and work out and as a vegan Edamame Beans and Tempeh are supreme in providing a high source of protein for vegans. It's why I am determined to exhaust all sources to try to locate these.

Thanks in advance.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Got sum edamame in there a few days ago, also other asian market at back of jervis always have them. theyre usually down the back. just ask for soya beans, its easier sometimes,

• Registered Users Posts: 23 VeganStephen

Thanks for that. I'll try that Asian store behind the Jervis Centre over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Yes, the Jervis one is where I usually fine them too. They are usually in the freezer section.

Tempeh I have found in Down to Earth (frozen) and in the Dublin Food co-op (frozen and in a jar).

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ruarua

hi
    just to let you know that dunnes stores (kilnamanagh) have birds eye soya beans in their frozen section.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I've heard of people getting tempeh in drury st but it's never there when I'm there :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

Dunnes & Superquinn usually stock birds eye frozen soya beans, I get them quite a lot. Last place I seen Tempeh was the health food shop in Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I never have problems getting my hands on Tempeh from the Oriental Emporium from the frozen section.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post. I will pop into town this afternoon to check out both the Asian store behind the Jervis Centre (I think it's the store on Capel St, I am not mistaken) and the Oriental Emporium.I never knew the Oriental Emporium had three or four stores dotted around Dublin. I also checked out Dunnes in Kilnamanagh (although I got some Soya Beans there, it's Edamame Beans I am looking for, which have a much higher protein content, but I do appreciate the help).

Could I ask if you can tell me the name of the health food store in Drogheda(I travel a lot in the North East with my job, so it would be handy to know the name of the store.

Thanks again for everyone's contribution.

Hi folks just to give you an update on my search for endamame beans and tempeh. I have begrudgingly purchased some organic Tempeh in Down To Earth (however it's outrageously priced). I popped into both Oriental Emporium stores in the City Centre (Georges Street and Upper Abbey Street). While neither store had Tempeh in stock (although they did have Endamame Beans) I was told by the very friendly manager of the Upper Abbey Street Store that a local restaurant took the remaining stock of Tempeh, but they will be getting a new batch in in a forthnight (they get it on order from Holland). He took my name and number and told me as soon as it comes back into stock he will call me(as I told him I would buy a number of blocks).

So fingers crossed I may have found a reliable source for both Endamame Beans and Tempeh.

Thanks again for everyone's contribution and suggestions.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Ahh great stuff, glad you managed to find a source. Now where is this local restaurant serving the tempeh???:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

The health food shop in Dundrum Town Centre sells tempeh. Waggamama restaurant in Dundrum town Centre also serves fresh edamame beans as a [bad] starter, as well as some tofu-based [good] main courses.
    Marks & Spencers sell dried edamame beans, which are horrible; just like fresh edamame beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

The Drogheda shop I mentioned is called Only Natural Health Foods on Stockwell Lane. Always found them good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Hi, just to let you know I got a pack of Tempeh for 1.60 (400g) from Oriental Emporium Aerodrome Business park today. It's cheap in my opinion, but then again I'd only buy it once a year so I don't know how much they are usually.

Advertisement