Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any music "scenes" specific to Ireland?

Options
  • 26-07-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

Just had an interesting thought. Most developments in music have emerged from localised scenes. Reggae in Jamaica, grunge in Seattle etc.

Even in today's internet-centered world, there's still local scenes emerging. Dubstep in Croydon, K-pop in Korea etc.

So, the question is, are there any "scenes" existing today in Ireland. Local groups of bands making similar music in a distinctive style?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

Diddly Diddly

• Registered Users Posts: 33,691 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Irish country and western.

Some of the real country music from the US is very easy on the ear but the stuff they serve up here is awful. Is Ireland the only country to have its own bastardised version of C&W?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

NIMAN wrote: »
    Irish country and western.

Some of the real country music from the US is very easy on the ear but the stuff they serve up here is awful. Is Ireland the only country to have its own bastardised version of C&W?
    New Zealand has it's own version as well, and it's just as bad. Irish C&W is probably one of the weakest excuses for music I've ever had the displeasure of hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Irish Traditional music is the obvious one. While it's played internationally it obviously enough originated here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Ireland doesn't have any scene really.

Good post on this subject here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72954601&postcount=18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

What about shoegaze? My Bloody Valentine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

karaokeman wrote: »

Hardly a scene though was it? To have produced one shoegaze band of note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Irish Trad. That should be obvious.

karaokeman wrote: »
    The Thames Valley area in England was the region associated with shoegaze. MBV didn't really get going until they relocated to London and before that they were based in Berlin for a while.

Apart from the first Whipping Boy album and In Motion I don't think Ireland produced too many shoegaze bands in the late 80's and early 90's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Didn't we produce the first punk rock single to get into the charts?

• Advertisement

FishBowel wrote: »
    Didn't we produce the first punk rock single to get into the charts?
    Who? The Damned were first to chart with 'New Rose' and they were English.

No they weren't. I think it was The radiators who had a hit in the Irish charts first?

You never said which charts. The Damned were first in the UK but I must check who were first in Ireland, it could have been The Radiators.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Wasn't there a whole gaggle of raggle-taggle Waterboy wannabees in the late 80s/early 90s?

The piano nocturne was invented by an Irishman but that's classical music.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

jd wrote: »
    Wasn't there a whole gaggle of raggle-taggle Waterboy wannabees in the late 80s/early 90s?

Yeh stuff like Cry Before Dawn and In Tua Nua.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I think you need a proper city for a scene like 'punk' to develop. Ireland doesn't have one, really, just large towns with a central focal point. Everyone gets lumped into the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I remember back in the early 90's reading in a UK tabloid about the Cork scene when the Frank and Walters and Sultans of Ping FC first came out, think they were straining at gnats a bit though to call it a scene, I think you need at least five or six bands to be prominent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 waywardsun

The Cork scenes from the early 1990s is probably our most notable. Lots of offbeat groups came along.

Advertisement