Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to Adelaide

Options
  • 26-07-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All
    I would love to hear from anyone who has moved to Australia in the last 12 months or so.
    I am 40 and partner is 42 we have four children aged from 17 months to 9 and a half years. I would love to go live in australia but would love to hear from people that have been there and done just this. Is it what you expected?
    Are you glad you did it?
    How did your children settled in?
    does it live up to your expectations
    Thanks in advance for all you answers
    Shazzer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Shazzer first up welcome to Boards.

Your first option would be seeing is there a realistic chance of Migration.

The skilled Migration thread and the FAQ located in the stickies are good places to assess this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shazzer 123

Thank you for your reply
    My husband has the SOL and have looked at the points system and all looks good. I was trying to get a feel from people that have done this, was it like they dreamed it would be or is Oz better place for children to grow up in rather than Ireland?
    My hubbie has relatives in Adelaide and this is where we would start from anyway. just would love to hear from someone that did this and ask a few questions really.
    Shoud we apply or is Oz as good as people think it is
    Shaz

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

We have 2 young children under 4. Purely from a family/quality of life viewpoint I think that Melbourne (where we are) does win over Ireland.

There are issues to consider such as distance from family/home and the cost of getting home. Cost of living here is also quite high. Find most things same or more expensive than Ireland when we left 2 years ago.

However, if these are manageable for you then there is a very positive attitude towards family and children here. Alot of community playgroups, toy libraries. Maternal health service that wants to help you. Lots of activiities and sports for the kids, great parks and playgrounds. Much bigger emphasis on outdoors and active lifestyle. Australians often moan about the country but they have a good education and health system.

Overall I think it does offer a great life for a family. As I often say if it was as close to Europe as it is to New Zealand I would never leave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Pugins wrote: »
    We have 2 young children under 4. Purely from a family/quality of life viewpoint I think that Melbourne (where we are) does win over Ireland.

There are issues to consider such as distance from family/home and the cost of getting home. Cost of living here is also quite high. Find most things same or more expensive than Ireland when we left 2 years ago.

However, if these are manageable for you then there is a very positive attitude towards family and children here. Alot of community playgroups, toy libraries. Maternal health service that wants to help you. Lots of activiities and sports for the kids, great parks and playgrounds. Much bigger emphasis on outdoors and active lifestyle. Australians often moan about the country but they have a good education and health system.

Overall I think it does offer a great life for a family. As I often say if it was as close to Europe as it is to New Zealand I would never leave!
    I would agree with Pugins on all this.

The big factor is you lose so much of your support network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I was trying to get a feel from people that have done this, was it like they dreamed it would be or is Oz better place for children to grow up in rather than Ireland?

The grass is always greener, and all that jazz.. I cannot offer you any helpful advice i'm afraid. I did not move here with a family. Personally, I very much like Australia. Sure, there are some big differences, some little ones. Things I love, and things I hate. But it's Australia, not Ireland. You kind of have to expect there to be differences, and you have to be able to accept that.

If you're on the fence, I would recommend googling "brits leaving australia". I'm only singling the brits out here as they've been in the news lately for emigrating to Aus, then moving back home because they didn't like it, and you're more likely to get better results and information. Moving to the antipoles is a big decision, and you wanna be sure you can live with your decision. I would say, though, that there is a lot more opportunities in australia than in ireland. Think about that angle.

There is also a facebook group in adelaide called Adelaide Irish Connect. there would be a few families on there that could answer questions i'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

We moved to Adelaide with the kids in 2009. Youngest was 2 and eldest 12. Wife had relatives here and we had been here and lived in Australia before. Took a while to settle but it is home here now and eldest has no intention of ever going back. It is a very personal thing. My brother and his family came here a year ago and are back in Ireland already as they could not settle.
    We think it is a fantastic city to bring up kids. It has a country town feel and is very unlike Sydney and Melbourne.
    There is always things to do with the family and nothing is ever crowded.
    There is a small Irish community here but not one big enough to notice.
    Do your research then do some more. And if you really really want it, go for it
    and remember, if things do not work out, recover and move on....
    What woolymammoth says is correct and good advice. Good luck with your decision....

The grass is always greener, and all that jazz.. I cannot offer you any helpful advice i'm afraid. I did not move here with a family. Personally, I very much like Australia. Sure, there are some big differences, some little ones. Things I love, and things I hate. But it's Australia, not Ireland. You kind of have to expect there to be differences, and you have to be able to accept that.

If you're on the fence, I would recommend googling "brits leaving australia". I'm only singling the brits out here as they've been in the news lately for emigrating to Aus, then moving back home because they didn't like it, and you're more likely to get better results and information. Moving to the antipoles is a big decision, and you wanna be sure you can live with your decision. I would say, though, that there is a lot more opportunities in australia than in ireland. Think about that angle.

There is also a facebook group in adelaide called Adelaide Irish Connect. there would be a few families on there that could answer questions i'm sure.

Advertisement