Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain ownership

Options
  • 26-07-2012 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just some advice for business owners.

Please ensure if you are using a company to register a domain name on your behalf that you retain ownership of it.

What often happens is that a third party will register the domain on your behalf but they will own the domain and just invoice you each time the domain needs to be renewed.

I am working with a guy at the moment who is paying 500 a year for registering three domains. He has been paying them this amount for the past six years.

I am trying to help the guy out but there is nothing he can do as this company own the domains.

Be careful!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Unlucky he got caught by a shyster , most reputable dev companies would register it in the companies name.

However, if the registered domains are his company name / variations of it etc he can go down this disupute route is pricey though.

Alternatively, if it's a small time developer I'd put the ****s up him with nice harsh solicitors letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Wow thought most of the cowboy web deals had mostly stopped. He will prob have to get more agressive and threaten with legal action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Or just name him hear !!!

Nice few notes getting a reputation management gig to know boards down again ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

Or similar to OP, where someone registers a domain for a business e.g. Hotel, shop etc - make sure that the domain is registered to the actual Hotel/shop (and not to the person who happened to work there at that time e.g. manager). I have seen this cause major issues for a pretty well known Irish business of late. The gent who registered the domain registered it in his own name under Sole Trader.

In the end, the business had to change domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PapaDragon

Anyone that lives in Ireland the domain registry puts you through the paces when registering any domain name which I find ridiculous.

I have also come across lots of instances where I am baffled as to how people/companies managed to secure a domain name which had no relevance to their business whatsoever.

Then, I see the film ted that is being shown in cinemas these days with the domain name tedisreal.ie and another domain for a popular mobile phone brand that is due to launch it's latest one in the autumn.

I wonder how did they explain there entitlement to the irish domain registry in both these cases..!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

PapaDragon wrote: »
    Anyone that lives in Ireland the domain registry puts you through the paces when registering any domain name which I find ridiculous.

I have also come across lots of instances where I am baffled as to how people/companies managed to secure a domain name which had no relevance to their business whatsoever.

Then, I see the film ted that is being shown in cinemas these days with the domain name tedisreal.ie and another domain for a popular mobile phone brand that is due to launch it's latest one in the autumn.

I wonder how did they explain there entitlement to the irish domain registry in both these cases..!!!

What have you against Ted owning a domain?

It was registered under a company called "Universal Pictures International Uk & Eire Limited". Those outside of Ireland are just as entitled to a .ie domain as we are, as long as they follow the rules laid out.

I do get where you're coming from though. Take, www.linkedin.ie for example. There is no doubt that the likes of Timothy McCarthy knew exactly what he was doing when he applied for that domain :)

Advertisement