Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jedward at New Docks - 26 August

Options
  • 26-07-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭

I just spotted this, thanks to Burkes Buses.

http://www.songkick.com/concerts/13184388-jedward-at-victoria-place

I presume the venue is the former tanks site.

Does anyone know what's the story re planning permission for this sort of use of the site? It seems to have turned into an on-going event venue without a lot of consultation with local residents. A VOR once every three years, I can handle. Regular concerts with screaming teens ... mmmmmm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's really a very good spot for it, besides the noise. Not sure if any/what plans there are for future concerts there.
    Hey, it's free Jedwards for you so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

I heard awhile back on the radio they're playing in "The Vic" or "Queen Street" night club, They're prob saying The Docks to hop off the VOR band wagon and make it seem like a huge event, that's prob why I remembered, I was thinking FFS at the time. So I'm guessing no planning needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Looks like it's The Vic alright. Louis must be gettin desperate. Could be a lot of I.D checking going on around the docks that night. Hadn't heard a thing bout it.

Edit: It's a Sunday so won't effect me ;-)

Bar 8 be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

coleria wrote: »
    I heard awhile back on the radio they're playing in "The Vic" or "Queen Street" night club, They're prob saying The Docks to hop off the VOR band wagon and make it seem like a huge event, that's prob why I remembered, I was thinking FFS at the time. So I'm guessing no planning needed.

Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Victoria Place = Vic Hotel, simples

No chance of sniping them then, bugger

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Victoria Place = Vic Hotel, simples

No chance of sniping them then, bugger

Nah. You would only be splitting hairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Jedward coming to Galway? Great!!! I was wondering what I was going to do with all the rotten eggs I have here at home.

Cancelled 'due to unforeseen circumstances'.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Gunner5

oh what a shame :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Cancelled 'due to unforeseen circumstances'.

No Tickets sold. How utterly unforeseen. Most of the rest are still on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jedward_concert_tours#Tour_Dates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well well:

http://www.galwaynews.ie/27365-jedward-concert-cancelled-due-venue-difficulties

According to the Sentienal, the venue was going to be the outdoor area on the docks where the tanks used to be.

The promoters say at 1000 of the 3000 tickets had been sold - hardly surprising given the target audience and the back-to-school cash demands this week/month.

The promoters also say that they asked about other venues like Leisureland (which is busy) South Park or Salthill Park.

A council spokesperson seems to deny this, being quoted as saying
    “It would not be suitable anyway... because of the conditions underfoot,” he said.

“They would need an event licence, in any case, which would take six weeks to get. It has to go out for public consultation, and then back to the City Council for voting on (which does not sit in August).
    “The Macnas parade, and the Volvo Festival had to apply for a

licence too, as it has an impact on the environment, and local residents would need to be given the opportunity to see what the plan is, and to comment or object.”

Which takes me right back to where this thread started:

What's the deal with the concert / funfair / event site at the Docks?

Is there planning permission granted for concerts etc to be held there - how many per year, and what restrictions apply?

Were local residents consulted? (And if they were, then why was I left out! :) )

Do promoters need an events license for gigs held there?

Advertisement