Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy - Benefit in kind

Options
  • 26-07-2012 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi,

Hoping someone might be able to help with this. I recently found out the company I work for is closing down and at the moment are working out what redundancy packages will be available to us. I'm just wondering if apart for the 2 weeks pay for each year of employment plus a bonus week, if the monthly bonuses we were receiving each month for the last 3 years should be accounted for with regards to benefit in kind?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Its capped at 600euro per week wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

The amount of the Redundancy payment is determined by the employee's length of continuous service and weekly earnings. Weekly earnings include gross weekly wage, average regular overtime and benefits-in-kind. Currently, the maximum weekly amount for a statutory redundancy payment is €600.

so yes, your reconable earnings are your gross wage, including o/t and BIK taken at an average rate. But as wmpdd3 points out, this is subject to a maximum payment of €600 per week.

so after 3 years service you are looking at a maximum of €4200 in statutory redundancy payments - this is tax free. Also you might get an ex-gratia payment from your employer which is however, taxable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Little Ted wrote: »
    Also you might get an ex-gratia payment from your employer which is however, taxable.

Only if it's over 10K though? I think this is what this page is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Eoin wrote: »
    Only if it's over 10K though? I think this is what this page is saying.

Yeah that is what I thought too, but the redundancy.ie site doesn't make reference to it. I think your link for citizens info is the correct info though - I didn't have to pay tax on my ex-gratia payment as it was less than €10,000, so unless that has changed since last december you won't have to pay tax on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Thanks for the replies, had a word with the HR lad in charge today and he advised that it would be included and also that the tax free limit is 10750 plus an additional 750 per year of employment, slightly confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Thanks for the replies, had a word with the HR lad in charge today and he advised that it would be included and also that the tax free limit is 10750 plus an additional 750 per year of employment, slightly confusing.

Yes he's right about that. Full details on the following Revenue page:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it21.html

Advertisement