Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share 3G Connection Through PC And Router

Options
  • 26-07-2012 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some help setting up a network.

I have a PC with windows 7 and a 3G dongle attached for internet. I would like to share the internet connection by wireless through a router to allow a laptop to share the internet connection and also connect another device to the network to allow it to be visable to the PC.

I have a small bit of knowledge on networking but no matter what way I try and set it up, I cant get it to all work together.

The router I have tried is a Netgear WGR614 V7. I have also tried a program called connectify but dont find it great for what I want. I find it doesnt always work 100% so I would rather a stand alone router wired to the pc which may be more reliable/consistant.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible and if so, what ip address, subnet, gateway etc to give the pc, router etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭HTB

I personally have never seen that done, so Im not sure if it is possible.

It would be easier if you got yourself a GSM/3G router. A TP Link TL-MR3420 will take your dongle and give you a good wifi signal.

You can then set up your network as you want. It also has 4 lan ports on the back so you can hard wire into say, a pc.

There are others out there that will do the job also.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=218&model=TL-MR3420

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

This should sort you out

Connectify

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

It's possible.

Get CCProxy for the PC with the dongle attached.
    Other PC's on the network can be configured to connect through a proxy server, which would be the IP address of the machine with CCProxy on it.

Advertisement