Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend accounts packages or spreadsheets?

Options
  • 26-07-2012 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Can anyone recommend a software package that would help an amateur with book keeping on a small new limited company.

Criteria are low cost, easy to use (I have never done accounts before but am very computer literate), cover as wide a range of service as possible, etc.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Herbalist

Hi Jonniebgood1

There are a lot of packages out there that will suit a small business or start up like yours.

I'd suggest to consider the following:

- How much and how do you want to spend? The bonus of cloud is that there is no initial outlay for software just a small ongoing cost per month. On premise will require you to buy your software outright at the start but usually will not include any mandatory ongoing costs.

- Are you mobile? If you want to access the software from android / iPhone / iPad look for either a cloud or online package compatible with your device or an on premise solution with a mobile app.

- Have you reliable internet access? This is essential for cloud or online packages. Cloud packages remove the need for a back up routine and allow you to access from anywhere but a reliable internet connection is necessary.

- What hardware do you use? Ensure potential software is compatible with what you have.

- Are you using an Accountant? If so it may be worth checking what software they recommend and checking compatibility with what they are using.

- Are there any specific requirements you have? This could be needs due to the nature of your business or legislation that governs your industry. Ensure the package you are looking at will cater for what you need.

- Is there a trial available? Most packages especially those online will allow you to take a 30 day trial. If you have not used many packages before trial a few and see what you like best in terms of usability, functionality and price.

Two products that may suit your needs are Sage Instant Accounts (an on premise package for small businesses) or Sage One (a cloud accounting package specifically designed for small businesses). I am connected to the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Herbalist wrote: »
    Two products that may suit your needs are Sage Instant Accounts (an on premise package for small businesses) or Sage One (a cloud accounting package specifically designed for small businesses).

Thanks. Will this calculate wages also or maybe thats not needed with only 2 directors to start with.

Thanks. Will this calculate wages also or maybe thats not needed with only 2 directors to start with.

Your'e best bet is to ring up Sage and see if they will do a package for you that includes Sage Payroll and Sage Instant Accounts, they generally can knock a few quid off if your'e getting the two combined, well they did for me anyway. I'm using Sage instant accounts and find it excellent, really straight forward to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

TO be honest,

you would be better off gettin a bookkeeper or accountant to look after all the bookkeeping, accouts, cro payroll etc.

YOu concentrate on what you know and leave a professional in. For €15 per hour you can get all this done and not have late fees, cro missed deadlines etc.

Also if you spend 4 hours at something bookkeeping, i would same a good bookkeeper would do in 2 or 2.5 hours.

For you to do your own accounts you need

minimum excel

you need a bookkeeping package
    a package to do year end accounts
    a payroll package
    a income tax package
    a corporation tax package

is it worth it?

oh my penny worth - Line 50

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

I use Sage Instant Accounts and Quickpay (for wages) - had no experience of accounting before like you and they're both very straightforward and user friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

Might be worth looking at bullet https://www.bullethq.com/index.page

Not connected, just a fan. Nice simple app, cloud based and includes an Irish payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Herbalist

For payroll and accounting functionality you could go with Instant Accounts and either Quickpay or Micropay Lite. Both packages for payroll are easy to use and suitable for a small business. Micropay Lite includes the facility to email payslips.

Sage One also offers two flavours of accounting software and three flavours of payroll which can be integrated. Sage One basic payroll is for up to five employees and costs just €6 a month.

Advertisement