Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reek Sunday

• 26-07-2012 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

Just a reminder that this weekend is Reek Sunday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Reek Sunday? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Redlimo

Sunday for climbing Croagh Patrick a.k.a "the Reek"!

Where is Croagh patrick then?

Seriously, you don't know? I'm guessing you're not from the West then! It's just outside Westport in Co. Mayo, maybe 10-15 minutes drive. If you're anyway reasonably fit it's a good hike. Lots of info and images on the Google machine...

No I have never known. And you are right. I am not from the west coast.

I would love to do it but financial commitments keep me grounded at the moment.

St.Patrick pray for us.

• Advertisement

That's a pity, I've done it every year bar one since I was 7, just not always on actual Reek Sunday. If you get a chance, do it, best views ever! There's a lovely community atmosphere on the mountain always too, you'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

Croagh Patrick, St Patrick's Oratory
    Annual Reek Sunday pilgrimage last Sunday of July. Masses: On the summit every half hour from 8.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m.

pilgrims-reek-sunday-cc-padraic-woods-p.jpg

chapel2-cc-junap.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'll be climbing on Sunday.
    Thought the crowds were a bit smaller last year compared to previous years though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I hope to do it tommorow if its not lashing rain, with my son and brother. We have never done it before and I can see the mountain from my farm.
    I can even see the path up on a fine day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Y kriztians do dis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Stuck Cone wrote: »
    Y kriztians do dis?
    Its something I should have done years ago and I can not explain why.
    That mountain has been a part of home for all my life even though its more than 30 miles away.
    In winter its a good sign of weather for us, if its white on top for over a week then we will get it too.
    I can remember my father climbing it at night time three years in a row in the seventys and all the talk about how hard it was afterwards.
    So I have decided to see for myself this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭totus tuus

3 generations of my family climbed it a few years ago, I hope to do it again sometime - when I get fitter! :)

if you are going to Climb. Tomorrow is a good day. At least plenty of help at hand if you get into difficulty.

Just remember to bring a hiking pole (or 2), chocolate, drink, waterproof coat and phone.

Best time to start is 6am as there is lots of parking still below.

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    if you are going to Climb. Tomorrow is a good day. At least plenty of help at hand if you get into difficulty.

Just remember to bring a hiking pole (or 2), chocolate, drink, waterproof coat and phone.

Best time to start is 6am as there is lots of parking still below.

I never wear a coat climbing it, you would be sweating in no time.

I never wear a coat climbing it, you would be sweating in no time.

Use Layers.. You should always bring a waterproof coat. I bring a backpack and if we are lucky enough to get sun I just put the coat away.

Croagh patrick and many Irish mountains can be deceiving. A lot of people go climbing and don't know the risks. 2 years ago a Girl got hypothermia.

Always go prepared. Those who attempt it without hiking shoes, without a hiking pole, without proper clothing, are usually some of the people that end up in difficulty.

Use Layers.. You should always bring a waterproof coat. I bring a backpack and if we are lucky enough to get sun I just put the coat away.

Croagh patrick any many Irish mountains can be deceiving. A lot of people go climbing and don't know the risks. 2 years ago a Girl got hypothermia.

Always go prepared. Those who attempt it without hiking shoes, without a hiking pole, without proper clothing, are usually some of the people that end up in difficulty.

I always go up in a t shirt and jeans, have a change of clothes in the car for when I get down.
    I agree with you about the shoes though, I see some people climbing in very flimsy footware, it can easily lead to a fall or a broken toe especially on the rocks during the last section of the climb.

• What time is Archbishops Neary's and Brown's Mass at tomorrow?

I'll be arriving at around 8, and heard that the archbishops will be going up at 7, or am i wrong?

What time is Archbishops Neary's and Brown's Mass at tomorrow?

I'll be arriving at around 8, and heard that the archbishops will be going up at 7, or am i wrong?

Yes I think that's about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭totus tuus

Hope those who are climbing the 'reek' have a safe climb, and blessed experience!

Yes it was a nice day for the climb, no rain and some sunshine.

• Advertisement

Yes it was a nice day for the climb, no rain and some sunshine.

Yes, it was a great day, best weather to climb the reek.

I saw a lot of pro-life campaigners below. A lot more than other years .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is climbing croagh patrick on reek sunday a "catholic only" event??

fryup wrote: »
    is climbing croagh patrick on reek sunday a "catholic only" event??

No not at all, people climb for lots of different reasons and you see many different nationalities making the climb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

No not at all, people climb for lots of different reasons and you see many different nationalities making the climb.

Lots of Catholics in Ireland now of different nationalities but yeah I'm not Catholic or part of any organised religion but I went with my local church for the climb as I don't drive was a really open/relaxed kind of event.

Just out of curiosity last night on the news.. Croagh Patrick usually makes a slot. But it was just a 15 second mention. Where as the Quinn thing got great coverage.

I remember for many years RTE going up to the top to film, while yesterday they only showed archived footage.

Not that there actually was much to report.. Just that they always did report the event while this year they didn't even turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Alice1

Just out of curiosity last night on the news.. Croagh Patrick usually makes a slot. But it was just a 15 second mention. Where as the Quinn thing got great coverage.

I remember for many years RTE going up to the top to film, while yesterday they only showed archived footage.

Not that there actually was much to report.. Just that they always did report the event while this year they didn't even turn up.
    Yes, I remember that too. There was always a mention - used to be more than 15 seconds too.

I have never climbed the Reek but would love to do it some day - my brothers climbed for years. Don't think any of them managed it this year.

Alice1 wrote: »
    Yes, I remember that too. There was always a mention - used to be more than 15 seconds too.

I have never climbed the Reek but would love to do it some day - my brothers climbed for years. Don't think any of them managed it this year.

Do it next year.. Its only a 4km Climb. There is a great Buzz on the Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I can't believe my distant cousin Papal Nuncio Archbishop Charles Brown managed to climb the reek before I did! :o

I wouldn't be doing it for religious reasons, I'd just like to test my fitness and see how tough it is. What's the view like from the top?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I can't believe my distant cousin Papal Nuncio Archbishop Charles Brown managed to climb the reek before I did! :o

I wouldn't be doing it for religious reasons, I'd just like to test my fitness and see how tough it is. What's the view like from the top?

On a nice sunny day there is a lovely view from the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Croagh patrick and many Irish mountains can be deceiving. A lot of people go climbing and don't know the risks. 2 years ago a Girl got hypothermia.

isn't it traditional to do it bare foot?

bonniebede wrote: »

No its not. Its traditional to climb it on the last Sunday of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Alice1

bonniebede wrote: »
    Yes Bonniebede, some people used to do it barefoot, however, that custom seems to have died out. There was also a tradition of doing the climb at night, however, that too has been stopped due to safety concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Alice1 wrote: »
    Yes Bonniebede, some people used to do it barefoot, however, that custom seems to have died out. There was also a tradition of doing the climb at night, however, that too has been stopped due to safety concerns.

oh. first time i climbed it we did it barefoot.

Advertisement