Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to plant Croscosmia

Options
  • 26-07-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I grew some crocosmia from seed I collected last year. Started in trays and then potted on. They are about 1-2 foot tall in pots in the poly tunnel.
    When should I plant them out? Now, to get established over the summer? In the fall, which is when I've read is the time to move established ones? Or, leave them in the poly tunnel until next spring?
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A flippant answer would be 'never' but in fact if you have plenty of room for them Crocosmia are attractive plants with a tendency to spread, but not as bad as Montbretia, their smaller cousins.

I reckon you could move them now if you want to, they are fairly hard to kill. Maybe just leave one in the glasshouse to grow on a bit, 'in case'. If the weather miraculously turns dry you should remember to water them.

You may not get the exact plant that you took the seed from, on the other hand you might get something new and interesting, and they are all nice looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

You beat me to it looksee.

Advertisement